What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Bucky Hodges WR/TE Vikings (1 Viewer)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
Bucky Hodges, TE: An Elite Athletic Prospect, Is He A TE Or A WR?

Player Overview

Count me in the “Bucky Hodges is a WR” camp. Hodges has ridiculous measurables to go along with his speed, athleticism and catching ability. Labeling him a WR is not meant to be a knock, it’s just acknowledging where his skill set fits best at the next level. Hodges almost exclusively lined up on the outside or in the seam during his time at VT. He was mostly covered by corners and ran a lot of routes on the boundary. He looks out of his comfort level when asked to play from a three-point stance as an inline TE and his blocking leaves a lot to be desired. Hodges is an obvious mismatch for most of his competition. He has such great size and athleticism that when he stretches the field he can cause his defenders to panic and he has drawn a lot of pass interference calls against the defense. Hodges is one of the better receiving options of the entire TE/WR class but as good as he is he still suffers from the occasional focus drop especially when he is tightly covered. If he can play a bit more to his size, with more “vinegar”, and cut down on some of those drops he’s going to be a real receiving weapon as a tight end or a wide receiver.

Strengths

• Superb height, weight, athleticism, and speed for the position. He is a mismatch physically on the field.
  • Has sneaky gradual speed and can work over the top of defenders using his body and hands to create separation.
  • Lined up virtually from every receiver position on the field and can cause damage from the outside, seam, and slot.
  • Effective as a blocker against players in the secondary.

Weaknesses

• Inline blocking needs a ton of work. His technique is pretty bad and he needs some strength and leverage work as well.
  • Doesn’t attack the ball in the air waits for it to come to him instead. A good corner or safety it's going to come away with those 50/50 targets in the NFL.
  • Doesn’t fight off the LOS and can have his route disrupted by bigger physical corners and safeties.
  • Not the most natural of pass catchers. Will body catch and double clutch he has trouble making the most difficult grabs.
5 games

Combine/Pro day

College stats

*2014    Virginia Tech    ACC    FR    TE    13gm    73tgt    45rec    526yds    7TD    7ra    20yds    2.9    0    
*2015    Virginia Tech    ACC    SO    TE    12gm    70tgt    40rec    530yds    6TD    5ra    27yds    5.4    1TD    
2016    Virginia Tech    ACC    JR    TE    14gm    84tgt    48rec    691yds    7TD    9ra    42yds    4.7    0    
Career    Virginia Tech                    227tgt    133rec    1747yds    20TD    21ra    89yds    4.2    1TD    (58.6%) 7.7 YPT        

Meh.

Body catcher, can't block so he won't be out there much in this offense. His weaknesses are huge.

Full disclosure, Bucky's Mom is a friend with whom I worked for several years.

Some stuff I posted on him in other threads:

From Virginia Tech’s Bucky Hodges could be the right tight end for the Packers:

But perhaps no one tight end did more to boost his stock this week than Bucky Hodges of Virginia Tech.

Hodges, who was a consistent producer in three years for the Hokies, had a tremendous all-around workout, measuring in at 6 feet, 6 inches and 257 pounds, running the 40 in 4.57 seconds, and posting position-best numbers in the vertical (39 inches) and broad jumps (11 feet, 2 inches).

Still, Hodges carries his experience playing quarterback through as he continues to develop as a receiver. Hodges says he knows what his quarterback is thinking: “I know what he wants, how he wants certain routes.” He also uses skills in diagnosing defenses to help him get open, noting that “I read a lot of coverages in high school so reading coverages were very easy for me in college.”

He’s certainly more polished as a receiver than an in-line blocker. In fact, he said he ended up playing almost exclusively a receiver role in his final college season when the Hokies installed a new offense. “I can run any route, I’m comfortable with the entire route tree,” Hodges said.

Still, NFL teams will likely expect him to play in-line eventually, even if he starts out as a large receiving option in the slot. While the effort level will not be a question mark for Hodges — “I’m not scared to put my helmet in anybody’s face,” he says — an NFL team will need to teach him the finer points of blocking. “Blocking from a three-point stance (is) something I haven’t really worked on since my freshman year of college,” Hodges pointed out. “I’m still raw fundamental-wise and technique-wise, but I know I’m capable of it with my work ethic and I’m very confident I will be a good blocker.”
4.57 at 257 is pretty ridiculous, and the jumps show a lot of explosiveness. He also has 10 1/8" hands and a 78 inch wingspan, both of which should be near the top of this class.

FWIW, as of Dec/Jan, Kiper had him as either his #1 or #2 TE and at #21 overall, and, as of February, NFL.com had him with the 4th highest grade among TEs, and Sports Illustrated had him 5th.

Hodges was recruited out of high school as a QB, one of the highest ranked dual threat QBs in the nation. He redshirted since Logan Thomas was the incumbent. Then he moved to TE for two seasons. Then he played H-back and WR this past season. In his career at Virginia Tech, he scored 1 rushing TD and 1 punt return TD to go along with his 20 receiving TDs. All of this shows a lot of versatility and athleticism.

Perhaps most importantly, he has only played TE for 2 years. Given he is only 21 years old, it seems reasonable to think he is not yet a finished product. If you considered him as a TE for all 3 of his seasons, he would rank #4 in ACC history in TE receptions and tied for #1 in TDs with Heath Miller.

If he can learn to block adequately, he will be a steal at this pick. I would have been very happy if the Chargers had taken him in the 6th.

Are there any reasons why he dropped as far as he did in the draft besides his lack of blocking experience?

He was talked about as a top 5 prospect at his position by a lot of draftniks and he was the 87th overall player on the consensus big board yet he fell to pick 201. 

Are there any reasons why he dropped as far as he did in the draft besides his lack of blocking experience?

He was talked about as a top 5 prospect at his position by a lot of draftniks and he was the 87th overall player on the consensus big board yet he fell to pick 201. 
I haven't heard anything. Very surprising IMO.

Seems like a looks like tarzan, plays like Jane type guy.

Have zero confidence in him after he dropped so far in the draft.

I think he's a top-5 TE from this class, i expect more from him than I do out of Shaheen or Kittle, and by a hair over Everett. One of the 3 biggest steals in the draft in my opinion.

I think he's a top-5 TE from this class, i expect more from him than I do out of Shaheen or Kittle, and by a hair over Everett. One of the 3 biggest steals in the draft in my opinion.
When the ENTIRE NFL passes on him for an extra 3-4 rounds, something is up with him. I valued him like that before the draft, too, but you can't just stay the course when red flags are waving all around.

I was paying attention to him and his landing spot since he was a Waldman fav. He's pretty much a 4th round rookie pick at best now

Obviously.  But I haven't heard anyone explain them yet.
I did a bit of digging but I came up with nothing but lint.

I agree with lod001's observation about him making body catches at times when I don't think it is appropriate. On one of his deep catches he lets it hit his arms before gathering it in.

Not that I think he has bad hands. He just doesn't seem as good in this area as some have advertised imo.

Let's not forget Hodges was a huge winner in the Underwear Olympics. His measureables were sick and he's like 6'6". You have to wonder why he did not create a huge buzz.

Let's not forget Hodges was a huge winner in the Underwear Olympics. His measureables were sick and he's like 6'6". You have to wonder why he did not create a huge buzz.
Maybe it's just as simple as he's a TE that doesn't block.  So he's a WR.  And if you lump him in with WRs, then meh.  

Legit question, how much does Jordan Reed block?

Maybe it's just as simple as he's a TE that doesn't block.  So he's a WR.  And if you lump him in with WRs, then meh.  

Legit question, how much does Jordan Reed block?
I thought of this, but a 6'6" 257 lb WR that runs a 4.57 and is explosive (see combine jumps) with large hands and wingspan would typically get drafted sooner than the 6th, right?

Incidentally, I pinged a couple sources and discovered nothing about any off field or character issues that have emerged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of this, but a 6'6" 257 lb WR that runs a 4.57 and is explosive (see combine jumps) with large hands and wingspan would typically get drafted sooner than the 6th, right?

Incidentally, I pinged a couple sources and discovered nothing about any off field or character issues that have emerged.
Hmm, good point about the measurables.  Route running?  

Had him in a dev league for the past two years. He doesn't play up to his measurables, but this big of a fall is surprising. Thought he would comfortably be a 3rd-4th round guy at a minimum. Something smells about this one.

His NFL comp was Devin Funchess.  Enough said.  
IMO he is not as gangly and moves better. He's two inches taller, 25 pounds heavier, and tested much better (4.57 40/11'2" broad jump vs. 4.70 40/10'2" broad jump).

How does a guy with his measurables and decent college #s fall so far?

Seems that either teams hated his tape and/or he's a pain in the ### off the field. Loaded TE class probably didn't help either.

Vikings are not known for letting their rookies see the field early.  Even Diggs was introduced slowly for a player that was extremely impressive in training camp. I would not draft him knowing this.   I figure if he does emerge it won't be until his second or third season.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The NFL waiver wire is littered with my devy league picks. Alex Collins, Karlos Williams, and now Bucky Hodges. 

Vikings Waive Bucky Hodges With Injury Designation

When the Minnesota Vikings were awarded former San Francisco 49ers tight end Blake Bellon waivers earlier on Sunday, it came as a bit of a surprise. The Vikings already appeared to have some solid depth at the tight end position, with Kyle Rudolph as the starter and David Morgan and rookie Bucky Hodges in reserve.

Unfortunately, it appears that Hodges isn’t going to be on the squad after all. . .at least for now.

In order to place Bell on the 53-man roster, the team has waived Hodges with an injury designation, which means that if no team claims him off the waiver wire, he will go on injured reserve. The Vikings had the same thing done with quarterback Taylor Heinicke in yesterday’s final cuts.

Hodges suffered a concussion in the preseason finale against the Miami Dolphins, which will allow the Vikings to move him to injured reserve. Once Hodges recovers from his concussion, there is a chance that the team might reach some sort of injury settlement with him so that he can gain his outright release.

Hodges is a player that a lot of folks. . .yours truly included. . .thought could be a major part of the Vikings’ offense in short order. With his big frame and outstanding leaping ability, Hodges could have potentially been a big asset for a team that has had their issues in the red zone in recent seasons.

Sadly, barring any strange happenings, it doesn’t appear as though Hodges is going to fulfill whatever potential he might have in Minnesota.

A number of cuts took me by surprise this season, including this one.  Hodges fell in the NFL draft, in part I suppose because he lacked experience blocking, but mostly as a consequence of a very deep and talented draft class of Tight Ends.  Hodges looked impressive in preseason action, and it appeared the Vikings made a good value selection in drafting Hodges.  The addition of Blake Bell, who may be further along in his development than Hodges, seems more like one step forward, two steps back to me.  Perhaps Hodges will clear waivers and land on the Vikings' IR, but it seems likely his days with Minnesota are over before they even began.  

A number of cuts took me by surprise this season, including this one.  Hodges fell in the NFL draft, in part I suppose because he lacked experience blocking, but mostly as a consequence of a very deep and talented draft class of Tight Ends.  Hodges looked impressive in preseason action, and it appeared the Vikings made a good value selection in drafting Hodges.  The addition of Blake Bell, who may be further along in his development than Hodges, seems more like one step forward, two steps back to me.  Perhaps Hodges will clear waivers and land on the Vikings' IR, but it seems likely his days with Minnesota are over before they even began.  
I have heard good things from people saying that Hodges was improving as a blocker. That is all relative though. he likely isn't good at that and won't be for a year or so of improving in that area, maybe he can become average.

I guess they can IR him due to the concussion. I don't imagine it will take him long to recover from that, teams will wait until he does and then maybe another team claims him once he is healthy.

It seems like the Vikings are trying to stash him on IR all year and see how he progresses. Very unlikely they would activate him again this season if they are doing that.

I already know Kyle Rudolph sucks at blocking and at this point of his career I do not expect that to improve. Rudolph also makes a lot of money, so I was kind of hoping Hodges might be able to take over for Rudolph at some point in the next couple years and the Vikings save some cap space there. But they love Rudolph, so I never considered that likely to happen.

Given Rudolphs deficiencies in blocking it becomes important for the the other two TE to be able to block. I have heard some good things about Blake Bell but never watched him.

Another part of this is the Vikings kept CJ Ham at fullback. That is a roster spot that could be used on a TE instead, but they like Ham enough to keep a FB instead. 

I expect some other team to claim Hodges once he is healthy to be their developmental receiving TE.

Users who are viewing this thread