What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Zuckerberg, just a totally normal noncandidate doing normal noncandidate things (1 Viewer)

Reads like a 10 year old's thank you note to Grandma.  Just a few rudimentary comments to fill space and check the boxes.
He comes across very plastic.  If he was a grocery bagger with similar writing style I'd honestly feel bad for him.  

Mark Zuckerberg at Facebook HQ.

May 3 at 1:59pmhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1&set=a.529237706231.2034669.4&type=3 · Menlo Park, CA · 

We just announced our quarterly results and gave an update on our progress connecting the world. Our community now has more than 1.9 billion people, including almost 1.3 billion people active every day.

Our next focus is building community. More than 100 million people on Facebook are members of "very meaningful" groups -- like parent support groups or illness support groups that are an important part of their lives. My hope is to help more than 1 billion people join very meaningful groups to strengthen our social fabric over the next few years.

We have a lot more work to build a global community that works for everyone. I shared earlier today that we're adding 3,000 people to our community operations team to review reported posts faster when someone needs help. We're also continuing our work to spot false news, and enabling greater civic engagement by connecting people with their government representatives.

This quarter we also took a major technology step forward at F8 by opening up the camera to be the first mainstream augmented reality platform. I'm excited to get virtual and augmented reality in more of your hands soon.

As always, thank you for being a part of this journey to connect the world.

Because I actually read his facebook posts.  If you look at them you'll see a lot of language about things being "open" and "connected."  Expanding internet access to the entire world (which I think is a good thing) is great, but not so you can datamine the entirety of civilization.  
Do you think him not running for President would change the inevitability that the entirely of civilization will be data-mined? We are currently being data-mined by our government, who are currently working hard to make it easier for ISPs to sell our data, and have been for years.

Odd reason to be opposed to him making a run for office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think him not running for President would change the inevitability that the entirely of civilization will be data-mined? We are currently being data-mined by our government, who are currently working hard to make it easier for ISPs to sell our data, and have been for years.

Odd reason to be opposed to him making a run for office.
So because civilization will be datamined anyway, we shouldn't have any reservations about the world's foremost data miner running for office?  

It'd be a lot creepier if all the information being collected wasn't given voluntarily.  But it seems obvious he wants real power beyond being merely a billionaire.  

I have no idea but I think he would take cyber-warfare more seriously than the current administration.
Why would you think that?  Trump has a son.  He's ten years old.  He has computers.  He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable.

What's Zuck's kid done?

So because civilization will be datamined anyway, we shouldn't have any reservations about the world's foremost data miner running for office?  

It'd be a lot creepier if all the information being collected wasn't given voluntarily.  But it seems obvious he wants real power beyond being merely a billionaire.  
The world's foremost data miner is probably the NSA.

I think it would be very interesting to see him run. He would more than likely go 3rd party which would mean bad news for the Dems because he would appeal to Sander's voter block. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mark-zuckerberg-hits-the-road-to-meet-regular-folkswith-a-few-conditions-1499873098

Mark Zuckerberg is trying to understand America, so he’s embarked on a journey to meet people like hockey moms and steelworkers who don’t typically cross his path.

But there are rules to abide by if you are an ordinary person about to meet an extraordinary entrepreneur.

Rule One: You probably won’t know Mr. Zuckerberg is coming.

Rule Two: If you do know he’s coming, keep it to yourself.

Rule Three: Be careful what you reveal about the meeting.

Four days later, Mr. Moore, 57, was standing in his driveway waiting for his mystery guest. Fifteen minutes before a pair of black SUVs arrived, he was told he’d be joined by Mr. Zuckerberg.

Mr. Moore and his family enjoyed a dinner of chicken Francaise and baked whitefish Mr. Zuckerberg’s staff had catered from a nearby restaurant. As Mr. Zuckerberg was leaving, he made one request, Mr. Moore said.

“He said, ‘If there are any news reporters that call you, just make sure you tell them I’m not running for president.’”
no quoting Zuckerberg 

On a serious note, he may have trouble with his ethos.  Just why exactly does he want to be president?

Trump consistently said for decades that he felt Washington was broken and inept, and that he is a guy that can get things done, and that's what he wants to do as president.  Get things done.  

Zuckerberg seems to argue that his expertise is in global communication, and that being America first is more isolationist in nature and not good for the nation.  How does that win votes in the great lakes?    Voters there will see Zuckerberg as a California elite that doesn't connect with midwestern values.  If he runs, I'd expect a challenge from a democrat that tries to embrace midwestern values.

When LBJ signed the Civil Rights act, he said  "There goes the South".  When democrats elected Obama, they might have just as well said "There goes the Great Lakes".  
If Biden ran instead of Hillary, he wins PA, MI, and WI. Maybe even OH. Trump was elected bdecause of Hillary. Not Obama. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Zuckerberg would be picking up a damaged brand.  Many voters view the democrats as racist against whites, anti-gun, and anti-police, and anti-borders.  These are powerful negatives.  A lot of whites in the great lakes view the democrat party a joke - a party that wants to take away guns, open the borders, take away cops so there is lawlessness, and punish white people.   What makes it worse is the polls get skewed by the fact that democrats are packed into small regions of the country, so when you run national polls, it looks like the democrats are competitive, but if you look state by state its a disaster.    There are massive headwinds.  
Pretty much completely wrong.

Wait...are we supposed to be outraged because he's not another long time politician, or because he's wealthy? I'm so confused.
I don't know if we're supposed to feel outraged.  But maybe a bit turned off by the kind of sterile, calculated attempt to turn him into a candidate.  The goofy "I'm just a normal guy" photo ops.  If Zuck, or Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk or whoever wants to run for President, fine.  But shouldn't the first step be to either write or deliver some type of address covering his core political beliefs. 

I mean, I sense Zuck will run as a centrist Democrat, but I have no idea where he stands on all kinds of basic political issues.

I don't think wealthy and inexperienced running on name recognition is going to have a snowballs chance in Hell next election cycle.  People aren't going to roll the dice twice in a row.  The next president is going to be have a political track record.  

I wonder if Zuck thinks that there's precedent president now for not having to divest oneself before holding the nation's highest office. And is encouraged by it. Because that sounds like what we really need, the president precedent also running the most powerful social media platform in the world.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
I don't know if we're supposed to feel outraged.  But maybe a bit turned off by the kind of sterile, calculated attempt to turn him into a candidate.  The goofy "I'm just a normal guy" photo ops.  If Zuck, or Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk or whoever wants to run for President, fine.  But shouldn't the first step be to either write or deliver some type of address covering his core political beliefs. 

I mean, I sense Zuck will run as a centrist Democrat, but I have no idea where he stands on all kinds of basic political issues.
If he ends up running for office, I think it's fine to do this when he announces his candidacy. Until then, I don't see the hurry.

Heaven forbid we poke fun at obvious posturing by an insulated billionaire whose only known political motivation is that we should expand internet access to poor countries so he can sell their stuff to advertisers too.  
He's not Trump. If he runs for President, he'll do it like a normal candidate: he'll resign as Facebook's CEO, liquidate his stock in the company, and put his holdings into a blind trust. He won't be selling stuff to advertisers.

If he ends up running for office, I think it's fine to do this when he announces his candidacy. Until then, I don't see the hurry.
I guess I just find it unseemly to embark on a marketing campaign projecting the image of seeming Presidential before you're articulated why you want to be President.  It's the difference between presenting a brand and presenting an agenda.  I get that this line has been blurred for some time but even Obama came to prominence by delivering a speech that was about political ideals and policy preferences. 

I guess I just find it unseemly to embark on a marketing campaign projecting the image of seeming Presidential before you're articulated why you want to be President.
That might be the kind of thing I'd selectively find unseemly about prospective candidates I'm already leery of for other reasons. Zuckerberg doesn't set off those warning bells for me. Am I perhaps becoming insufficiently cynical in general?

That might be the kind of thing I'd selectively find unseemly about prospective candidates I'm already leery of for other reasons. Zuckerberg doesn't set off those warning bells for me. Am I perhaps becoming insufficiently cynical in general?
I would never suggest that anyone try to match my level of cynicism. I suppose I understand that there are certain people who might strike us as so decent, honest, and competent that we'd trust that they could be a good president.  I'm not sure I'd support them, but I can imagine Bill Gates or Warren Buffett maybe falling into that category.  I can't imagine Zuckerberg falling into that category.  My bar is a little higher than not being an auto-DQ on those factors like Trump was/is for me. 

I guess I just find it unseemly to embark on a marketing campaign projecting the image of seeming Presidential before you're articulated why you want to be President.  It's the difference between presenting a brand and presenting an agenda.  I get that this line has been blurred for some time but even Obama came to prominence by delivering a speech that was about political ideals and policy preferences. 
I think he's figuring out what he stands for politically.  Which can be seen as calculated and inauthentic, but I would imagine it's kind of important for a guy who went from Exeter to Harvard to being a billionaire.  He really does probably need to find out what regular people want and need.

I think he's figuring out what he stands for politically.  Which can be seen as calculated and inauthentic, but I would imagine it's kind of important for a guy who went from Exeter to Harvard to being a billionaire.  He really does probably need to find out what regular people want and need.
And that should come after deciding he should be President?

I'm not a mind reader, but it sure looks like it was about 3 months or so ago.  You don't hire a pollster and campaign manager just because you enjoy traveling the country and meeting the people. 
I think he, like a lot of filthy rich famous people, has probably noticed who the President is and decided "well, for God's sake, I know I'd be better for the country than this guy."  And he may be checking out what that would entail, what people actually want and need, etc.  I don't think that's crazy.

I understand it looks like he's begun some huge campaign, but he has a lot of free time and a lot of money.  This is about as much commitment from him as me deciding to buy a new tennis racket because I'm considering getting in shape.

I think he, like a lot of filthy rich famous people, has probably noticed who the President is and decided "well, for God's sake, I know I'd be better for the country than this guy."  And he may be checking out what that would entail, what people actually want and need, etc.  I don't think that's crazy.
I think that's exactly the wrong message to take out of Trump's election.  "Hey, if any idiot can do it ..." 

I think that's exactly the wrong message to take out of Trump's election.  "Hey, if any idiot can do it ..." 
Except he's not an idiot.  He's a former programming prodigy who runs a massively funded charity that focuses on health and education.  Which are two of the three or four biggest issues we have in this country, domestically, right now.

And that should come after deciding he should be President?
Possibly, yes. If he's running I have no problem with someone having a certain mentality but checking with those your ideals would impact to see if you're totally off base. 

Or to put it another way, you can have larger goals but be open to the specifics on how to get there. No better way to see how those specifics should be implemented than to meet with lots of people. 

one thing mark zuckerburg has never done is create a hostile workplace im just sayin bromigo take that to the bank

He's not Trump. If he runs for President, he'll do it like a normal candidate: he'll resign as Facebook's CEO, liquidate his stock in the company, and put his holdings into a blind trust. He won't be selling stuff to advertisers.
I see what you're saying.  I was just speaking in general about the actual meat of his policies if there is any.  So far the only thing I've ever really picked up on is a desire for the entire world to be on Facebook.  Other than that he seems like a pretty bland centrist.  I don't doubt he'd be more attentive to the rules than Trump is though.  

I see what you're saying.  I was just speaking in general about the actual meat of his policies if there is any.  So far the only thing I've ever really picked up on is a desire for the entire world to be on Facebook.  Other than that he seems like a pretty bland centrist.  I don't doubt he'd be more attentive to the rules than Trump is though.  
He seems like a centrist because he's never really had to commit to anything controversial.  Who know what his policies might be.  He could go anywhere with a campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread