What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Update!!!!Can you resign from your job and still collect unemployment? (1 Viewer)

RokNRole

Footballguy
I feel like getting out of the staffing industry for health reasons. 

I have not had a good nights sleep in months and I believe the stress is causing my chronic back pain. My anxiety and depression is back in full force and I've been having a lot of suicidal thoughts.

I can't handle being in an industry where I constantly work up to 70-80 hour weeks just for a client to cancel an order or for the workers to not show up. I've been doing this for 9 months with no help.

My relationship with some of my superiors has been strained as well.

i took a sick day today. My plan tomorrow is to talk to my CEO and explain the health problems I've been having. Let him know I need a few sick days to consult with a doctor and that I may need to resign for health reasons.

i would then send the diagnosis paperwork and a formal letter of resignation stating the health reasons corroborated in the medical paperwork.

would I be able to collect unemployment for a few weeks to rest and regain some normalcy before seeking a less stressful career?

Last edited by a moderator:
can you ask your CEO about a Leave of Absence related to the current health situation? might be better than just quitting (unless you hate the job/company). 

also, hope you get to the doctor and get relief. 

can you ask your CEO about a Leave of Absence related to the current health situation? might be better than just quitting (unless you hate the job/company). 

also, hope you get to the doctor and get relief. 
I'm open to discuss any options he may present but I really don't feel like there is any way accommodations can be made for me to be effective at my job anymore.

Can I collect unemployment during a health related leave of absence?

I'm sure it is state dependent, fwiw, I was able to collect once when I quit because my employer's checks started bouncing.

In work separation determinations, the burden of proof is on the party who initiates the work separation: If the claimant quit, the claimant must prove good cause connected with the work for quitting; if the claimant was fired or laid off, the employer must prove that the work separation resulted from misconduct connected with the work on the claimant's part, if the claimant is to be disqualified from UI benefits.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/ui_law_qualification_issues.html

I'm open to discuss any options he may present but I really don't feel like there is any way accommodations can be made for me to be effective at my job anymore.

Can I collect unemployment during a health related leave of absence?
LOA pretty much means you're still employed, so i don't think you'd collect unemployment. 

In work separation determinations, the burden of proof is on the party who initiates the work separation: If the claimant quit, the claimant must prove good cause connected with the work for quitting; if the claimant was fired or laid off, the employer must prove that the work separation resulted from misconduct connected with the work on the claimant's part, if the claimant is to be disqualified from UI benefits.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/ui_law_qualification_issues.html
My reason for quitting is I am performing the duties of 3 employees single handed

And because of the nature of the industry I have to work additional hours on nights and weekends which is affecting my mental and physical health

My reason for quitting is I am performing the duties of 3 employees single handed

And because of the nature of the industry I have to work additional hours on nights and weekends which is affecting my mental and physical health
It might fly, my guess it would.  Here in NC a protested in writing against a few employees that were fired with cause and never won.

Are employees supposed to be paid during a leave of absence?
not sure about that. had a buddy who did it and he wasn't paid for his time away (appox 2 weeks). 

do you have any vacation/sick time accrued that you could use if an LOA isn't paid? 

not sure about that. had a buddy who did it and he wasn't paid for his time away (appox 2 weeks). 

do you have any vacation/sick time accrued that you could use if an LOA is paid? 
I may have about 7-8 sick days I can use

not sure I would have to check when I go in tomorrow to complete payroll

I hear quitting your current job before finding a new one is the smart way to use leverage in negotiations.
With my hours and workload I wouldn't be able to search for a new job while at the current

and I'm not looking for any leverage because I don't want to be in this industry any longer

With my hours and workload I wouldn't be able to search for a new job while at the current

and I'm not looking for any leverage because I don't want to be in this industry any longer
Sounds like you've got this one all figured out then, good luck!

Yes but I don't really want to

can I collect unemployment if I'm fired for doing a crappy job?
That is your best bet.  You really need to check with the laws in New York to see if you previous unemployment transfers when you move.  Not sure anyone here wants to do your leg work.  I get stressed out reading your posts,  do I qualify for any benefits. 

That is your best bet.  You really need to check with the laws in New York to see if you previous unemployment transfers when you move.  Not sure anyone here wants to do your leg work.  I get stressed out reading your posts,  do I qualify for any benefits. 
Why wouldn't it? I worked for the same company in 2 states

You might begin by adjusting your expectations.

I can see your next interview now.

Potential Employer:  Why did you leave your last job?

Rok:  Turns out work did not agree with me.  It was too hard and disillusioning.  It made me sick, I quit, and then I sought benefits from my employer.

start taking some "sick" days and hit the classifieds. 

You might begin by adjusting your expectations.

I can see your next interview now.

Potential Employer:  Why did you leave your last job?

Rok:  Turns out work did not agree with me.  It was too hard and disillusioning.  It made me sick, I quit, and then I sought benefits from my employer.
Not at all accurate

Why wouldn't it? I worked for the same company in 2 states
Because unemployment is paid to the state you worked in.  Each state has different rules.  How those rule apply when you relocate takes some research.  There is a good chance you are screwed. 

what kind of work do you think would pay, you'd enjoy but wouldn't be stress-inducing?
I have a background in construction, CDL driving and warehouse work.

I would go back in to something blue collar with less mental stress for a while until to plan my next move to something bigger

also- is being in texas affecting things for you? do you think you'd stay... or come back to NY?
I was already told I could return to work at my old position in the past if I felt like the current one isn't good for me but I do not want to return to NY

I think I will be happier here in TX

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

I have a background in construction, CDL driving and warehouse work.

I would go back in to something blue collar with less mental stress for a while until to plan my next move to something bigger
non-stressful construction work means labor, which probably pays somewhere near warehouse work... shouldn't be too difficult to get a job like that to keep some income temporarily while you de-stress? or driving? 

was just talking to a contractor about how the good the pay is for guys who drive the specialty machines... and not enough guys doing it. you have qualifications or skills for that?

Because unemployment is paid to the state you worked in.  Each state has different rules.  How those rule apply when you relocate takes some research.  There is a good chance you are screwed. 
This isn't true, states share information now and you as long as you meet the criteria of the state that you are filing in you can use hours/wages worked in other states. My husband works in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana all of the time and claims on Ohio unemployment (despite living and working the most in Michigan) when he qualifies and can use his wages from the other states to get the max. benefit.

non-stressful construction work means labor, which probably pays somewhere near warehouse work... shouldn't be too difficult to get a job like that to keep some income temporarily while you de-stress? or driving? 

was just talking to a contractor about how the good the pay is for guys who drive the specialty machines... and not enough guys doing it. you have qualifications or skills for that?
Never operated heavy machinery only class B or smaller trucks

i would imagine I would have to get certified in it and I probably wouldn't be able to afford the training if I'm not collecting unemployment

I'm fine with physical labor. I'm not tired physically I'm tired mentally from never being able to enjoy my free time because I have to babysit grown men

i want a job where my hard work is not dependent on other people that I can't control.

far too often I bust my hump on assignments that never pan out because of candidates or clients BS

It's reasons like this why BIG won't work in America 
because then his prospects are to quit and make ~12K per year vs. trying to get out of his job and make ~80% of his salary?  The BIG would provide a more temporary safety net to allow him to search for work from Panera and get a better job.

Of course, I mean a semi-normal person, not him and his fictions.

I'm fine with physical labor. I'm not tired physically I'm tired mentally from never being able to enjoy my free time because I have to babysit grown men

i want a job where my hard work is not dependent on other people that I can't control.

far too often I bust my hump on assignments that never pan out because of candidates or clients BS
Sounds like a lot of jobs. I'm a systems analyst and this sounds like a lot of the same complaints I have. 

Users who are viewing this thread