What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza - Whoa oh ohhh, Listen to the music (1 Viewer)

Genres:

Dice Rolls

Genre/Category

Conditions & Explanations

Who to blame

1-38

Punk/Hardcore

Rockaction

39-76

Live Rock Tracks

Scoresman

77-114

Billboard Top 10 (2011-now)

Eligible song lists on Wikipedia

Timschochet

115-152

Riot Grrl

Female fronted and ### kickin'

Ramsey Hunt

153-190

Power Pop

Bonzai

191-228

Glam Rock

HellToupee

229-266

Trip Hop/Acid House

Steve Tasker

267-304

Jam Bands

Dr Octopus

305-342

Psychedelic Rock

Karma Police

343-380

Synth Pop

JM Lunchbox

381-418

That Old Time Rock n Roll

RnR that pre-date the Beatles including rockabilly, doo-***, girl groups, jump blues, etc.

eephus

419-456

World Music

ilov80s

457-494

Video Game Music

Ren Ho3k

495-532

Swing

Waingro

533-570

Squeezebox

Songs featuring accordion

Mister CIA

571-608

Emo

NV

609-646

Blue Eyed Soul

Caucasians regardless of eye color

Doug B

647-684

El Floppo

685-722

British Invasion 64-67 w/out Fab Four

Binky the Doormat

723-760

Broadway Showtunes

covers OK but not stuff like songs from Rock of Ages

Mrs. Rannous

761-798

Classic Metal through 1982

JZilla

799-836

Progressive Rock

Yo Mama

837-874

Alt/Indie Folk

Chaos Commish

875-912

Ska

sm0mm1s

913-940

Drinking Songs

(traditional)

-OZ-

951-988

Funk

dal_boys_phan

989-1000

REROLL

The dice

Last edited by a moderator:
Genrepalooza is an idea to make a song draft that's more about drafting and less about mixing.  It's basically a musical genre-based draft with an element of randomness to keep things interesting as the draft progresses.  Here's how it would work.

Round one:  Everybody chooses a musical genre and a song from that genre.  
For even/odd rounds beginning with round 2/3 we'll roll nerd dice to randomly select three genres from the ones nominated earlier.  Drafters can choose songs only from those three genres during the upcoming two rounds.  Doubling down on one of the three categories is acceptable.  For example, if punk rock, R&B and country were the randomly selected categories for rounds 2 & 3, I could only draft songs fitting those genres but could pick two country tracks if I wanted to. 

We'll repeat the three genres per each set of odd/even rounds until every nominated genre gets randomly selected once (or 14 rounds, whichever comes last). 

For this to work, the genres are of utmost importance.  The only suggested rule here is don't be too obscure (and this is me talking).  I think "metal" should be sufficient as opposed to "doom metal", "death metal", "black metal".  The point is to pick a genre that's deep enough and fun enough for other people to draft from when the dice give them the opportunity.

There's a pretty comprehensive list of musical genres at http://www.musicgenreslist.com/ that takes things to extreme.  Stuff not on the list like live tracks, covers, Beatles, songs by bands like Radiohead, etc. are perfectly fine as categories provided they're not too obscure.  You know I'm a bleeding heart liberal commissioner when it comes to songs fitting into a genre. D'yer Maker is a reggae song in my book.  So is Hotel California but don't draft the Eagles OK?

Posting mixtapes would be optional; the random genres will probably make them too eclectic to work as a mix.  In fact, collaborative playlists by genre might be a better way of preserving the draft for posterity.

Current draft order (as of May 8)

2.1---Scoresman

2.2---ilov80s

2.3---Ren Ho3k

2.4---eephus

2.5---sm0mm1s

2.6---Mister CIA

2.7---JM Lunchbox

2.8---Rockaction

2.9---The Dreaded Marco

2.10---Bonzai

2.11---Mrs. Rannous

2.12---Timschochet

2.13---Dr Octopus

2.14---Karma Police

2.15---Chaos Commish

2.16---HellToupee

2.17---NV

2.18---Binky the Doormat

2.19---dal_boys_phan

2.20---Waingro

2.21---OZ

2.22---Steve Tasker

2.23---Doug B

2.24---JZilla

2.25---Ramsey Hunt

2.26---Yo Mama

3.1---Yo Mama

3.2---Ramsey Hunt

3.3---JZilla

3.4---Doug B

3.5---Steve Tasker

3.6---OZ

3.7---Waingro

3.8---dal_boys_phan

3.9---Binky the Doormat

3.10---NV

3.11---HellToupee

3.12---Chaos Commish

3.13---Karma Police

3.14---Dr Octopus

3.15---Timschochet

3.16---Mrs. Rannous

3.17---Bonzai

3.18---The Dreaded Marco

3.19---Rockaction

3.20---JM Lunchbox

3.21---Mister CIA

3.22---sm0mm1s

3.23---eephus

3.24---Ren Ho3k

3.25---ilov80s

3.26---Scoresman

Northern Voice said:
I'm in. Bar for success is set at more picks made than in my "elements of songs" draft.

:oldunsure:
I think this format will be much easier than the elements draft

Likely. But I won't have any idea what this is about until the draft is over.
That's kind of the idea.  I usually have a pretty good idea of where I'm going after a few rounds of a song draft.  NV's elements draft was the exception because I still don't know what I'm doing for that one six months after it died.

There will probably be some rounds in Genrepalooza where I like all three categories and have to exclude one, and others times where all choices may be a bit outside my usual wheelhouse.  But I can definitely find a prog song to pick if the dice come up that way.

In. Do we keep our categories secret until our pick or can we announce them in advance?

Where does the line get drawn at too obscure?

a) Helsinki yodelling

b) Finnish yodelling

c) Scandanavian yodelling

d) Northern European yodelling

e) European yodelling

f) Northern Hempisphere yodelling

g) yodelling

In. Do we keep our categories secret until our pick or can we announce them in advance?

Where does the line get drawn at too obscure?

a) Helsinki yodelling

b) Finnish yodelling

c) Scandanavian yodelling

d) Northern European yodelling

e) European yodelling

f) Northern Hempisphere yodelling

g) yodelling
You're getting warmer...

For this to work, the genres are of utmost importance.  The only suggested rule here is don't be too obscure (and this is me talking).  I think "metal" should be sufficient as opposed to "doom metal", "death metal", "black metal".  The point is to pick a genre that's deep enough and fun enough for other people to draft from when the dice give them the opportunity.

There's a pretty comprehensive list of musical genres at http://www.musicgenreslist.com/ that takes things to extreme.  Stuff not on the list like live tracks, covers, Beatles, songs by bands like Radiohead, etc. are perfectly fine as categories provided they're not too obscure.  You know I'm a bleeding heart liberal commissioner when it comes to songs fitting into a genre. D'yer Maker is a reggae song in my book.  So is Hotel California but don't draft the Eagles OK?

Posting mixtapes would be optional; the random genres will probably make them too eclectic to work as a mix.  In fact, collaborative playlists by genre might be a better way of preserving the draft for posterity.
I don't want the highlighted to get lost in the nose flute and yodeling strawman posts.  The draft will be a lot better if people save their creativity for the song selections and play it relatively straight with the categories.

Remember that people will always have three choices to draft from.  If you pick a genre that's totally obscure, your first round selection might be the only time it gets picked throughout the 14-?? rounds.

IN

eephus
rockaction
NV
Ramsey Hunt Exp
Scoresman
ilov80s
Doug B
El Floppo
Tasker
Binky
Mrs. Rannous
JML
zilla
Ren Ho3k
Timschochet
Waingro
Bonzai

LOOKING AROUND

wikkidpissah
chaos commish

I'll @ the people from previous drafts tonight

We're opening up round 1 (song & genre) on a first come, first served basis starting Thursday at noon Eastern.   This will give us some time to feel out the genres, do some marketing and  hopefully put an end to the nose flute schtick.

I'll randomize draft order when we roll for rounds 3/4.  Depending on the level of sniping in what are effectively two round mini-drafts, I'm considering re-randomizing the draft order every Monday.  Embrace the chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread