What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 rookie pick 1.01 post NFL draft (Closed) (1 Viewer)

Who would you select for pick 1.01 in a TE premium scoring league?

• Corey Davis

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Christian McCaffrey

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Leonard Fournette

Votes: 44 33.3%
  • Dalvin Cook

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Joe Mixon

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Evan Engram

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • OJ Howard

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • David Njoku

• Mike Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Ross

• Zay Jones

• Hareem Hunt

• Curtis Samuel

• Dont play in this format

Votes: 33 25.0%
  • Other (please post who you voted for so that player can be added to the next poll)

• Total voters

Biabreakable

Footballguy
Now that the NFL draft is complete and we have had a few days to let things sink in, lets find out what the SP thinks of the rookies and where they stack up against each other for fantasy.

I decided to expand to four different polls post NFL draft, as now we can consider how each player fits with their teams and what that may mean in terms of fantasy points. 

I am populating the poll from my own rankings, with the exception of the 2QB poll where I will slot the top 3 QB choices at all times. If a player is not listed that you think should be, please recommend that they be added to the appropriate poll. If you would vote for a player who is not listed please vote other and post who you voted for, and that player will be added to the next poll.

Discussion welcome. Thanks everyone for voting.

Results

Standard

1.01 Leonard Fournette 65.8% at 123 votes

PPR

1.01 Corey Davis 40.4% at 123 votes

2QB

1.01 Leonard Fournette 31.6% at 123 votes

TE premium

1.01 Leonard Fournette 35% at 123 votes

The next poll can be found here

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay it's up.  Let's get it going, thanks for doing this again Bia.  Corey Davis across the board for me.

The Jags seems to be willing to shape the team around Fournette, sounds like a good situation for me. And surprisingly, the Jags had the 10th best yards before contact when rushing last year (a stat I heard on a podcast and did not fact check).  With the addition of Cam Robinson, maybe that line can show marked improvement this year.

Too bad there is no way to make the Don't play in this format just not count as votes it messes up overall % in the end it means nothing as far as who wins or losses but you don't get the effect of how much they win or lose by instead of winning 75% they might win with a 35% making it look closer.

Too bad there is no way to make the Don't play in this format just not count as votes it messes up overall % in the end it means nothing as far as who wins or losses but you don't get the effect of how much they win or lose by instead of winning 75% they might win with a 35% making it look closer.
Yeah because of this more ties happen for those polls as well. When dont play in the format is winning them.

That said at least it gives an honest answer instead of votes that might be based on a more common format. So the fewer voters who do participate in those polls, are at least familiar with some of the differences of those formats in terms of relative player value. So while there may not be quantify, at least the votes are quality.

If I do run into ties in these polls, I will use the standard and PPR poll as a tie breaker.

I went Davis across the board, although it's close in standard.

General principle of WR longevity as a tie breaker, but also I like a lot more of the second-tier RBs than I do the second-tier WRs.  Coming away with Davis at 1 and a Perine or Kamara at 13, vs. Fournette and Zay or Henderson looks more promising to me.

but also I like a lot more of the second-tier RBs than I do the second-tier WRs.  Coming away with Davis at 1 and a Perine or Kamara at 13, vs. Fournette and Zay or Henderson looks more promising to me.
This is not something that should be effecting your voting here. There is nothing in the poll about what position you'd rather draft later (and thinking this way in real drafts is also a way to ruin your team, imo, but that's not important for the point I'm making). 

This is not something that should be effecting your voting here. There is nothing in the poll about what position you'd rather draft later (and thinking this way in real drafts is also a way to ruin your team, imo, but that's not important for the point I'm making). 
I disagree.  The context of rookie pick is automatically dynasty and team-building is a relevant feature.

I'm not saying to pick some scrub over a star.  But as  a tiebreaker between two players I can't easily chose betweeen (ie Davis and Fournette in standard scoring), planning a strategy for the entire draft is one way to break that tie.

Yes, you can also correct positional imbalances by trading, in theory.  But not all leagues have eager and active traders (sadly).

Let me tell you a story. There was once a true freshman at a school. He was 18 and just 3 months removed from high school. He started from day 1 in college. 

Wow. That's impressive. Did he struggle as a freshman? 

No. As a matter of fact, in the first game of that freshman year, he played against the 3rd best team in the country and he was the top receiver in the game. 

Did anyone good cover him?

Yeah, a  22 year old that was about to be drafted in the 1st round . 

How did the rest of his career go?

You know, 331 receptions, 5278 yards and 52 TDs. No big thing. 

He must be small then, right?

No he is a 6"3' and 210, basically the same size as Devante Parker. 

Did he go late in the draft, did teams not like him? 

He was the 5th pick in the draft.

So wait, whats wrong with him? 

He had an ankle injury so we don't have a 40 time and vertical for him. 

Did he ever look slow or unathletic on his tape? 

NEVER. THE END.    1.1 all formats

While I agree with Ilov80's post above,

it does not appear that the majority feels this way so far though as there is resounding support for Fournette thus far. He only has a one vote lead in the PPR poll, but he actually has a lead in the PPR poll.

While agree with Ilov80's post above,

it does not appear that the majority feels this way so far though as there is resounding support for Fournette thus far. He only has a one vote lead in the PPR poll, but he actually has a lead in the PPR poll.
Yeah, its that close for me as well. He gets any kind of blocking and hes going to get the carries to hit 1300-1400 yards. if hes in the game that much it will be tough to not get 30 catches even if hes not the third down back. 1600 total yards is a realistic possibility imo. I love Davis, but im not sure hes that Julio or AJ Green kind of prospect. I usually go WR i situations like this but Fournette is a difference maker.

Let me tell you a story. There was once a true freshman at a school. He was 18 and just 3 months removed from high school. He started from day 1 in college. 

Wow. That's impressive. Did he struggle as a freshman? 

No. As a matter of fact, in the first game of that freshman year, he played against the 3rd best team in the country and he was the top receiver in the game. 

Did anyone good cover him?

Yeah, a  22 year old that was about to be drafted in the 1st round . 

How did the rest of his career go?

You know, 331 receptions, 5278 yards and 52 TDs. No big thing. 

He must be small then, right?

No he is a 6"3' and 210, basically the same size as Devante Parker. 

Did he go late in the draft, did teams not like him? 

He was the 5th pick in the draft.

So wait, whats wrong with him? 

He had an ankle injury so we don't have a 40 time and vertical for him. 

Did he ever look slow or unathletic on his tape? 

NEVER. THE END.    1.1 all formats
Well put. Also agree with the post above that takes into account the second round RBs being more appealing than second round WRs.

Really like the pairing with Mariotta. That team has been barren of decent receivers. Situation seems primed for consistent production right away.

Well put. Also agree with the post above that takes into account the second round RBs being more appealing than second round WRs.

Really like the pairing with Mariotta. That team has been barren of decent receivers. Situation seems primed for consistent production right away.
Right and I didn't even mention that he got taken by a borderline playoff team with an ascending young QB, strong offensive line and who's leading receiver the last 2 years has been a 32 year old TE. 

The reason Fournette has nothing to do with him being way more talented than Davis, it is the fact that their are like 5 running backs in fantasy that are 3 down backs and have their teams built around them, which seems to be what the Jags are thinking. Every year there are 15 or so receivers that are on the list for being a top receiver or even 1A on their team and put up great numbers..

Right and I didn't even mention that he got taken by a borderline playoff team with an ascending young QB, strong offensive line and who's leading receiver the last 2 years has been a 32 year old TE. 
Not that he is a world beater, but Rishard Matthews played very well last year and is only 28. He did lead the team in receiving last year.

The reason Fournette has nothing to do with him being way more talented than Davis, it is the fact that their are like 5 running backs in fantasy that are 3 down backs and have their teams built around them, which seems to be what the Jags are thinking. Every year there are 15 or so receivers that are on the list for being a top receiver or even 1A on their team and put up great numbers..
Very true, but allso WRs last so much longer than RBs and RBs seem to me to be more situation dependent than WRs. I could be wrong about that though, it's just a hunch I have. 

Not that he is a world beater, but Rishard Matthews played very well last year and is only 28. He did lead the team in receiving last year.
Same number of catches as Delanie. Yes, Rishard is a nice player and was 25th in ppg for ppr last year. That's a nice year, but is there another team in the NFL that has a strong of a QB and as weak of a cast of receivers? 

Same number of catches as Delanie. Yes, Rishard is a nice player and was 25th in ppg for ppr last year. That's a nice year, but is there another team in the NFL that has a strong of a QB and as weak of a cast of receivers? 
Maybe Cam, or Wilson, but it is a huge upgrade for Mariotta and I like Matthews better as the 2. in 2 of my leagues I am very happy I have the 1.2 and will be happy taking either guy.

I almost listed Matthews as a positive. He seems like a low end WR2, which is perfect to support the numbers of a dominant WR1, like Williams drawing just enough attention away from Dez or Crabtree drawing just enough attention away from Cooper. Sharpe in there would be useless.

Maybe Cam, or Wilson, but it is a huge upgrade for Mariotta and I like Matthews better as the 2. in 2 of my leagues I am very happy I have the 1.2 and will be happy taking either guy.
I agree on Cam. Wilson has Baldwin (2 years in a row as a WR1) and Jimmy Graham. That's probably better than the Titans, at least even.

Is the 2 QB or Superflex league assumed to be ppr?
No.

I am not sure what the most common scoring system is for these leagues? Likely PPR as that seems the most popular format. But for the 2QB poll I would like people to vote just based on their league. If that is standard then vote that way, if it is PPR then vote that way.

Is the 2 QB or Superflex league assumed to be ppr?
I can only speak for myself but I play in 3 2QB leagues and they are all PPR leagues, but maybe that's just my leagues and my preference.  I always vote on it as a PPR league. 

This is why I'd go Fournette.  If I had decent RBs and need a WR I'd strongly consider Davis first based on many of Ilov80s points.

Maybe there's a subtlety that i'm missing, but wonder why Fournette won relatively handily in TE premium but lost in PPR?

Aren't most TE premium leagues also PPR?

Users who are viewing this thread