What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Robert woods (1 Viewer)

tobynelson34

Footballguy
Good receiver going to a team with no real threat can he b a good sleeper even with goff at the helm? Worth a flyer ppr?

Stranger things have happened.  I think he can be similar to what Kenny Britt was there which is a solid depth guy.

Receptions have to go to someone. 

I think he could be a good value in PPR. I see him as a high reception/low yardage kind of guy. Maybe 6/50-60. That's pretty darn good floor for flex in PPR. If he can sustain that weekly he'd be a great weekly flex IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
ADP data from March had him picked at #186 overall. At that point you're hoping for players who may contribute something useful, someday if things go right. Woods has the opportunity to be a WR1 on his team this year. Very, very few of the players in that range have that opportunity ever. Here is the list of WRs drafted around him.

Cole Beasley, Leonte Carroo, Robert Woods, Isaiah Ford, Robby Anderson, Eli Rogers

Woods is low cost and should be a solid flex option this year.

He's a bad wr1 on a bad team with a bad qb, but there are a few reasons to like him.

Goff is going into year 2 and was the top pick last year. This is his first real off season preparing as the starter. 

Woods is only 25, and was the 41st overall pick a few years ago. 

Woods is a good and willing blocker in the running game, which asking with his contract  will keep him on the field a lot

There's not much else around him

Sometimes a new team is all you need.  Look at Emanuel sanders when he went from big Ben to manning, and then to Semen.  He sucked, then he got really good, now he's still good. Goff is no manning, but brit and tavon are no Demaryius, Julius and sanders, either

Brian Quick averaged 2.7 catches a game last year for 41/564/3, good for WR67 in my ppr league last year.  That's Woods' floor basically and I have to think Woods will have more than 3 catches a game so he's a sneaky flex play for sure with the potential to be more.  

ADP data from March had him picked at #186 overall. At that point you're hoping for players who may contribute something useful, someday if things go right. Woods has the opportunity to be a WR1 on his team this year. Very, very few of the players in that range have that opportunity ever. Here is the list of WRs drafted around him.

Cole Beasley, Leonte Carroo, Robert Woods, Isaiah Ford, Robby Anderson, Eli Rogers

Woods is low cost and should be a solid flex option this year.
Wow, sign me up at that price.  Goff has no where to go but up....LAR is probably going to have to throw it later in games.  No reason to believe Woods can't catch 65 passes and get 6 TDs, and has potential to do better.  As others have said, a change of scenery is all Woods might need.

I like Woods and Kupp as unexciting but flex-worthy PPR guys in McVay's offense.

But if I had to choose the player I think has a chance to explode there, long term? Lower floor, but higher ceiling? Josh Reynolds. Nobody else on the team has his size or skill-set, and he's arguably the only guy really cut out for the outside X position on the roster. And besides being even skinnier than AJ Green, he's got all the physical tools and some real plucking ability downfield. 

With all of Sammy's injuries he's had plenty of chances to shine. Ya Buffalo's passing game sucked but is it really any worse than the Rams? Guessing he'll be a flex backup without any huge upside. Would rather gamble on a boom/bust guy with the pick.

He was a usable flex in a 14 team league I was in last year and I would expect more of the same. Pretty high floor, but a pretty low ceiling.

They brought in a lot of targets, Mcvay will do his best to rework the entire offense, so they are all wild cards in my opinion. Everett, Kupp, Reynolds, woods, higbee, all are reasonably cheap and someone will get catches. 

They brought in a lot of targets, Mcvay will do his best to rework the entire offense, so they are all wild cards in my opinion. Everett, Kupp, Reynolds, woods, higbee, all are reasonably cheap and someone will get catches. 
I agree. They all seem like scratcher tickets to me at the end of a deep draft. Don't forget Pharoh Cooper as well. I realize he was last-regime and he disappointed me last year but I don't think Calvin Johnson in his prime could have produced in the abomination of an offense the Rams had last year so I won't hold it against Cooper. I wouldn't be shocked if any of these guys led the team in receptions.

I want to say, "Well, he's not as good as Kenny Britt, so look at Britt's stats as an absolute ceiling." But then we're looking at a new coaching staff and 2nd year QB. The Rams ranked 27th in passing attempts last year, 30th in yards per game, and dead last in PTD with only 14. So it would be hard for them to do worse. But they did add Kupp (don't like) and Reynolds (like) and a TE. Not sure if the new staff has plans for Tavon or not. Lots of mouths to feed either way. So I guess I've convinced myself the answer is "maybe, just maybe he'll be a low end WR3." But that's not bad for a guy being drafted as a WR7. FWIW, Tavon is being drafted right around that same point. Just happened to notice his name when looking at the ADP.

The one thing I'll guarantee is that he won't be putting up 6/50-60 on a weekly basis. That would be 96 receptions. I think 70, maybe 75 is his upside. So a good weekly expectation would be 4/48. His career YPR is 12.1.

While looking at the ADP, I can't say he stands out even way down there. Allen Hurns is down there. He's only one year removed from a thousand yard, 10 TD season. Torrey Smith will be starting opposite the oft-injured Jeffrey and Aiken will be the WR3 behind the oft-injured Moncrief. Even without injuries, both of those teams have a realistic shot at 600 passing attempts.

Released

NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports the Titans released Robert Woods.​

It was a forgettable season for Woods in Tennessee, where the declining veteran caught 49 passes for 487 yards and posted a career-worst 9.9 yards per reception. Woods was set to be a $14.6 million hit against the salary cap in 2023 -- far too high for a veteran who profiles as a team's WR3 or WR4. Look for Woods to ink a one-year deal for a team that could use him in a complementary role.

Was he old or needing a year to overcome injury?
He was a good soldier that did not like Downing's offense at all. I think we could kind of tell in interviews but he never said boo until he was released and tweeted "I'm free."

Struggled to get open, several drops on third down...not sure he just pops back up with a new team with the stats we expect.

The Titans had so little help at WR, it was the perfect opportunity for him to do well to wrap up his career and play as long as he wanted, so I'm a bit leery of supporting "he's still got it" vibes.

Users who are viewing this thread