What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the Star Wars Movies in here (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
1.  Empire Strikes Back

2.  A New Hope

3.  Rogue One

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  Revenge of the Sith

6.  The Force Awakens 

7.  The Phantom Menace 

8.  Attack of the Clones

Changes all the time 

1. Rogue One - last 10 minutes was just too good 

2. Empire

3. Force Awakens

4. New Hope

5. Jedi

6. Sith

7. Phantom Menace

8. Clones 

Last edited by a moderator:
Empire, New Hope, Jedi, Rogue 1, Revenge of the Sith...(decent gap)... force awakens...(big gap)...Clones, Phantom Menace. 

Loved Force Awakens when I first saw it but upon further reflection and thinking about just how derivative it was, it took a hit in the rankings. 

1.  Empire Strikes Back

2.  A New Hope

3.  Rogue One

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  Revenge of the Sith

6.  The Force Awakens 

7.  The Phantom Menace 

8.  Attack of the Clones
Force awakens over sith but otherwise agreed. 

Could put rogue on top but the first two have lasted 40 years among my favorite movies and they still stand up, and get points for being icons.  So they stay on top. 

Changes all the time 

2. Empire

3. Force Awakens

4. New Hope

5. Jedi

6. Sith

7. Phantom Menane

8. Clones 
Think I'm aligned with this. Finally saw Rogue One about a month ago. I walked away from it thinking. 'Holy ####! Did I really like this more that TESB?'

Watched it again 2 days later and there was no doubt in my mind

The original trilogy#1. The last two #2 and the 2nd trilogy way in last place by miles and miles

1) Return of the Jedi

2) A New Hope

3) The Force Awakens 

4) Rogue One

5) Empire Strikes Back 

6) The Phantom Menace

7) Revenge of the Sith

8) Attack of the Clones

There have only been five Star Wars movies:

1. A New Hope

2. Empire

3. Rogue One

4. Force Awakens

5. Jedi

Thats it, that's the definitive list and ranking. /end thread. :)

1.  A New Hope

2.  Empire Strikes Back

3.  Return of the Jedi

4.  Rogue One

5.  The Force Awakens 

6.  Revenge of the Sith

7.  The Phantom Menace 

8.  Attack of the Clones

1. Empire

2. Rogue One

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Star Wars Holiday Special

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. The Phantom Menace

9. Send In The Clones

Just been watching them on USA that past couple of weeks.....the prequels are just....bad. 

1.  Empire Strikes Back

2.  A New Hope

3.  Rogue One

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  Revenge of the Sith

6.  The Force Awakens 

7.  The Phantom Menace 

8.  Attack of the Clones
This looks good, except I switch 7 & 8. But they both are pretty awful it doesn't really matter.

1. The Phanton Menace

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Rogue One

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. Attack of the Clones

1.  A New Hope

2.  Empire Strikes Back

3.  The Force Awakens 

4.  Revenge of the Sith

5.  The Phantom Menace 

6.  Rogue One

7.  Attack of the Clones

8.  Return of the Jedi

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Rogue

4. Jedi

5. Awakens

6. Sith

Tied for 4133. Clones/Menace

They really fubared Clones and Menace by casting Hayden.  Change that to anyone else and it almost overcomes the ridiculousness of Jar Jar. Ugh. 

I also cringe during Phantom when lil ani miraculously disables the entire trade federation because for whatever reason the Trade Fed engineers decided it would be a good idea to put their reactor in the hanger bay. 

1. Empire

2. Rogue One

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Star Wars Holiday Special

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. The Phantom Menace

9. Send In The Clones

Just been watching them on USA that past couple of weeks.....the prequels are just....bad. 
The main problem with the prequels (besides the awful story and bad acting) is how terrible they look. Watched some this weekend and they just look like cartoons. 

1.  Empire Strikes Back

2.  A New Hope

3.  Rogue One

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  Revenge of the Sith

6.  The Force Awakens 

7.  The Phantom Menace 

8.  Attack of the Clones
I'd move the force awakens above Revenge of the Sith, and Rogue One below The Force Awakens, but other than that, solid. 

I think you need to rank these two ways.   The movies as they came out and you saw them for the first time, and then the movies as they have aged and upon multiple rewatchings. 

I am just going to rank them as they came out and upon original viewing.

Return of the Jedi.  Just a fun watch from beginning to end, put closure to the original trilogy, yeah, the ewoks were campy, but I was young when this one came out and it all worked just fine.

A New Hope.  Fantastic watch from beginning to end, special effects were great considering the time it came out.  There was quite a bit of storytelling and background posed, so some parts seemed to drag a little (I was very young when it came out), but overall good stuff.

Empire Strikes Back.  This one probably aged better than the others, but when it first came out there were no death star explosions, no closure, I think this one hurt because the first 30 minutes started out great and petered out a bit after that.

The Force Awakens.  This one is tough because so much hype, but I believed it delivered.  It just seemed the story was already told and they could have come up with a bit more of an original story, but the new characters introduced were very likable, and even the new villain was okay.  

Rogue One.  Was real good from beginning to end, I don't argue too much with those that place it higher, but for me, it just didn't hit the highs or the feel good of the rest of the star wars movies.  

Attack of the Clones.  Surprised to see this one was almost universally buried.  I thought this one saved the reboot.  The bad guys were bad, the action was decent.  Maybe it was because I came into this one with low hopes and it delivered an enjoyable movie

Revenge of the Sith.  I thought this one flowed seamlessly after attack of the clones, and the action was very good in this one too.  

Phantom Menace.  I'm sure it was due to high expectations when it came out, but this one fell totally flat about across the board.

Phantom Menace has some redeeming scenes, especially the Darth Maul battle. It's well below all but one, but I can tolerate that.

Attack of the Clones is painful and embarrassing. Hayden's acting is cringe-worthy. There is nothing good about that film. 

As bad as those were, Force Awakens and Rogue One are that good. There's nostalgia for the originals, but those sequels capture Star Wars as it should be with modern technology to remove any cheese factor that older movies have.

1.Star Wars-I got the gold

2. Return of the Jedi-I got the girl

3. The Empire Strikes Back-the whole carbonite thing ruined it for me

4. The Force Awakens-My son killing me brings this down a couple notches

i can't rank the others although Chewie looked great in a couple of scenes.....

Changes all the time 

2. Empire

3. Force Awakens

4. New Hope

5. Jedi

6. Sith

7. Phantom Menace

8. Clones 
Wow.  Rogue One at the top?   Serious question - how many years ago did you first see the original trilogy?

Rogue One was really good, way better than I expected, but ranking it first overall is nuts.

Empire

New Hope

Rogue One

Force Awakens

Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom

Clones

The battle in Rogue One is what Jedi should have been.  I said it in the Rogue thread... it was so good that I hate Jedi and what they did to it.

Wow.  Rogue One at the top?   Serious question - how many years ago did you first see the original trilogy?

Rogue One was really good, way better than I expected, but ranking it first overall is nuts.
Just watched empire tonight. Literally ended 32 minutes ago. 

When did I first see it? I dunno, probably 1988? What difference does that make. 

1. Empire - Gold standard

2. New Hope - still holds up well

3. Jedi

4. Rogue One - Great reboot

5. Phantom - loved Darth Maul and Qui-Gon but hated Jar Jar

6. Force Awakens - lower because it was so much of a retelling of New Hope

7. Clones

8. Revenge of theSith - Christensen mostly unwatchable

Capella said:
Just watched empire tonight. Literally ended 32 minutes ago. 

When did I first see it? I dunno, probably 1988? What difference does that make. 
Yeah, I watched Empire tonight too.  Still amazing.

Rogue One was really good the first time. Loved it even as a standalone movie.  But Empire is great overall, and its place in the overall Star Wars arc makes it that much more important and impactful.  (IMO)

I asked what year you first saw it because I find that people born after say 1990 (maybe a tad earlier) are just so irrationally into graphics that they can't appreciate the original trilogy.  Kids of my friends (people now in their late teens) will actually argue that the second trilogy is better than the original.  Which is crazy.

I see a similar theme with video games.  Hell, give me the original Nintendo games --- which had poor graphics but were awesome to play --- over much of the crap today with amazing graphics but zero point to the game and minimal enjoyment factor.

Anyway, appreciate a contrarian thought on the rankings (even though I struggle with relating).  Rogue One really was good - definitely better than Force Awakens.  I need to see it 2-3 more times before its ranking solidifies for me.  It may or may not hold up better after multiple viewings.

I personally rank it:

Empire

Star Wars (I refuse to call it A New Hope, as it wasn't called that when released.  It was just referred to as Star Wars)

Rogue One

Jedi / Force Awakens (tie - ewoks made Jedi tough to watch as an adult)

1-3 (who cares?  All 3 should be vaporized)

Capella said:
Changes all the time 

2. Empire

3. Force Awakens

4. New Hope

5. Jedi

6. Sith

7. Phantom Menace

8. Clones 
Agree here.  Would move PM and Clones further down. 

TripItUp said:
1.  Empire Strikes Back

2.  A New Hope

3.  Rogue One

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  Revenge of the Sith

6.  The Force Awakens 

7.  The Phantom Menace 

8.  Attack of the Clones
Reverse Jedi and Sith and you have my order.

Clones

Jar Jar
Jar Jar is just as bad in Clones as he is in Phantom. There's just less of him. 

Phantom however has Qui Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. These are two Star Wars characters that are really good, and Phantom is the only movie they appear in. 

There's really nothing about Clones that I like. A plethora of Jedi lose to a bunch of robots and have to be saved by Stormtroopers. Seriously, Stormtroopers can beat robots but Jedi can't?!?! Obi Wan, Anakin and Yoda can't beat an old fart Count Dooku. And Anakin and Padme's relationship is just painful to watch. 

That being said, both movies are bad. But if I was forced to watch one of the two, I would chose Phantom easily over Clones. I wish the Clones movie didn't exist at all. The only thing of value that would be lost is explaining where Stormtroopers came from. 

snore said:
1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Rogue

4. Jedi

5. Awakens

6. Sith

Tied for 4133. Clones/Menace

They really fubared Clones and Menace by casting Hayden.  Change that to anyone else and it almost overcomes the ridiculousness of Jar Jar. Ugh. 

I also cringe during Phantom when lil ani miraculously disables the entire trade federation because for whatever reason the Trade Fed engineers decided it would be a good idea to put their reactor in the hanger bay. 
Hayden wasn't in Phantom Menace. That was Jake Lloyd. Both are pretty terrible and have done nothing of significance since.

Jar Jar is just as bad in Clones as he is in Phantom. There's just less of him. 

Phantom however has Qui Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. These are two Star Wars characters that are really good, and Phantom is the only movie they appear in. 

There's really nothing about Clones that I like. A plethora of Jedi lose to a bunch of robots and have to be saved by Stormtroopers. Seriously, Stormtroopers can beat robots but Jedi can't?!?! Obi Wan, Anakin and Yoda can't beat an old fart Count Dooku. And Anakin and Padme's relationship is just painful to watch. 

That being said, both movies are bad. But if I was forced to watch one of the two, I would chose Phantom easily over Clones. I wish the Clones movie didn't exist at all. The only thing of value that would be lost is explaining where Stormtroopers came from. 
while darth maul and Qui Gon are cool characters.......the over abundance of the Jar Jar character kills it.

The attack of the clones and phantom menace are both terrible.

I did like the "making of vader" in revenge of the sith.

I feel like Phantom Menace gets a little too much hate, yes jar jar sucks, but there are redeeming qualities.

I feel like Phantom Menace gets a little too much hate, yes jar jar sucks, but there are redeeming qualities.
No.

edit: At first I thought you meant jar jar had redeeming qualities. But yes phantom does have some good parts. Combine 1 and 2 you have a good movie.  I was hoping 3 was going to be the last 10 minutes of rogue 1.

Yeah, I watched Empire tonight too.  Still amazing.

Rogue One was really good the first time. Loved it even as a standalone movie.  But Empire is great overall, and its place in the overall Star Wars arc makes it that much more important and impactful.  (IMO)

I asked what year you first saw it because I find that people born after say 1990 (maybe a tad earlier) are just so irrationally into graphics that they can't appreciate the original trilogy.  Kids of my friends (people now in their late teens) will actually argue that the second trilogy is better than the original.  Which is crazy.

I see a similar theme with video games.  Hell, give me the original Nintendo games --- which had poor graphics but were awesome to play --- over much of the crap today with amazing graphics but zero point to the game and minimal enjoyment factor.

Anyway, appreciate a contrarian thought on the rankings (even though I struggle with relating).  Rogue One really was good - definitely better than Force Awakens.  I need to see it 2-3 more times before its ranking solidifies for me.  It may or may not hold up better after multiple viewings.

I personally rank it:

Empire

Star Wars (I refuse to call it A New Hope, as it wasn't called that when released.  It was just referred to as Star Wars)

Rogue One

Jedi / Force Awakens (tie - ewoks made Jedi tough to watch as an adult)

1-3 (who cares?  All 3 should be vaporized)
Empire is great. No doubt. None of these have topped the thrill ride at the end of rogue one for me though. It was all amazing, culminating with Vader's scene. 

My wife feels the way you described about the original trilogy. She likes the stories but can't get past the way it looks. 

Phantom sucked.  Jar Jar was only a part of the suck.  That said, 2&3 sucked too.  Way worse in some ways, because of Hayden.

The ESPN copycat nonsense of the pod racing in Phantom was just stupid, for an example of what makes that movie idiotic beyond Jar jar.

Empire is very good but definitely not my favorite. 

I got tired of Yoda very quickly and it had a lot of not too exciting set up for Jedi.

Of course, the "I Am Your Father" twist was great.

Hayden wasn't in Phantom Menace. That was Jake Lloyd. Both are pretty terrible and have done nothing of significance since.
Seems to be a trait shared by anyone who has been anything but the voice of a Skywalker character. 
At least Mark Hamill has been working his ### off for 40+ years. The fact that he's the best Joker is a true testament to his dedication.
If the voice of a cartoon character in a TV series is something of significance to you, then ok, sure, whatever. 

Phantom sucked.  Jar Jar was only a part of the suck.  That said, 2&3 sucked too.  Way worse in some ways, because of Hayden.

The ESPN copycat nonsense of the pod racing in Phantom was just stupid, for an example of what makes that movie idiotic beyond Jar jar.
The actors didn't suck as much as the directing.  We don't have any idea if they were good based on SW 1-3

Users who are viewing this thread