What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (14 Viewers)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
I know he's potentially third on the depth chart (for now) but I really think this is a guy for especially dynasty guys to watch. I think he could emerge as the top back in this offense at some point. Maybe not right away.

SPARQ score #2 in 2017 RB class
He's small (5'9) but his combine statistics are amazing considering his height:

37.5" vertical jump
10'7" broad jump
Not blazing speed at 4.5 40
4.20 shuttle

Might be someone to keep an eye on as the preseason shakes out. I do like Jamaal Williams- he seems very good, and Ty Montgomery showed some big promise, so Jones has a hill to climb. Crazy things happen in the NFL, and I think Jones is worth discussing for guys looking for deep sleepers, especially dynasty.

If Williams fails to impress, or Montgomery/Williams suffers from the injury bug you could very well see Jones in an amazing opportunity to take the reins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him. Drafting him in all my dynasty's where I can get him in the 3rd and later

Im investing in both but im betting on Jones. I think they are both good, but Jones passes the eye test for me.
Same with me. Got both and I'll let the chips fall where they may.

I just think Ty was a guy who had some RB experience during a time a playoff team had no healthy RBs. I'd heavily doubt he's their starting RB going into the season.

Third time posting this in a separate thread, but there;'s something for everyone! 

Article on RB situation

Jones is a multidimensional runner with elite athleticism and the potential to be the best player of the group. He brings legitimate big play ability to the next level, with the quickness to turn the corner, the speed to get there and the balance and agility to make a defender miss in the open field. He’s also so dynamic as a receiver that it wouldn’t be entirely surprising if he’s cutting into Montgomery’s workload in the passing game at some point during his rookie season. Jones plays big and fast, and he’s perfectly molded to be a three-down running back in the modern NFL.
I'll put my stock into Jones ;)  

I think the fact that GB went after two RBs shows they want someone other than a converted WR at the position -- don't get me wrong, Montgomery actually did very well in that role and there are enough positives to suggest that GB should absolutely look at how to keep Montgomery involved in that role given that success.

That said, Ty's measurables (6'2, 216) may be better suited as a WR, where the Pack can look for a thunder/lightning combo in  Aaron Jones (5'10, 205) and Devante Mays (5'11, 229).

Will be interesting to see how these rookies develop.

I think the fact that GB went after two RBs shows they want someone other than a converted WR at the position -- don't get me wrong, Montgomery actually did very well in that role and there are enough positives to suggest that GB should absolutely look at how to keep Montgomery involved in that role given that success.

That said, Ty's measurables (6'2, 216) may be better suited as a WR, where the Pack can look for a thunder/lightning combo in  Aaron Jones (5'10, 205) and Devante Mays (5'11, 229).

Will be interesting to see how these rookies develop.
I agree Tom. However, don't discard his body type too much. Not saying Ty equals these guys but these are guys who have had success in the NFL and college at RB at these respective sizes. 
ADP: 6'1 220
Matt Forte: 6'2 218
Darren McFadden: 6'1 220|
Le'Veon Bell: 6'1 225

Im investing in both but im betting on Jones. I think they are both good, but Jones passes the eye test for me.
Yup, eye test pass for me, too.  Watched him carve up a fairly decent UT Longhorn defense with absolutely no one else around him talent-wise.  He was by far the best player on the field, which says a lot because UT still had a lot of talent, especially on D.  This guy's just a good back.  Honestly, I didn't realize he was only 5'9".  Figured he was more like 5'10" - 5'11".  I'm buying wherever possible.

Jones showing he belongs

a nice fluff article on Jones.

seems like he has a good head on his shoulders (all those yes sirs, and he seems to be humble) often times guys with freak athleticism can't put it together between the ears. not an immediate concern with this one at least

Green Bay might be the most difficult RB situation to figure out as far as dynasty goes simply because there's 4 legitimate candidates. 

I don't believe Montgomery will hold the job longterm. My choice to eventually unseat him is Williams. I actually like Jones the least as far as becoming their feature back. 

I know he's potentially third on the depth chart (for now) but I really think this is a guy for especially dynasty guys to watch. I think he could emerge as the top back in this offense at some point. Maybe not right away. 

SPARQ score #2 in 2017 RB class
He's small (5'9) but his combine statistics are amazing considering his height:

37.5" vertical jump
10'7" broad jump
Not blazing speed at 4.5 40
4.20 shuttle

Might be someone to keep an eye on as the preseason shakes out. I do like Jamaal Williams- he seems very good, and Ty Montgomery showed some big promise, so Jones has a hill to climb. Crazy things happen in the NFL, and I think Jones is worth discussing for guys looking for deep sleepers, especially dynasty. 

If Williams fails to impress, or Montgomery/Williams suffers from the injury bug you could very well see Jones in an amazing opportunity to take the reins. 
?

Tex

he's looked alright. Montgomery looks better, but this is his first action. Will be fun to see if he can grow. as a packer fan and as i see Jones on my ww, I'm hoping Montgomery is ok. i wasn't counting on scooping Jones up until after week 6. arg

Yep, he looks pretty good.  He got steamrolled trying to pass block once and didn't get a lot of pass block opportunity,  so I still wonder about that being the reason he was behind Williams.  Will be interesting to watch going forward, hopefully Williams and Montgomery come back OK. 

Looking good! Glad to have him.

What is the best thing, he didnt get any receptions yet, but he will. Good receiver, good runner, nothing but value here for few games at least!

He's still on WW in my dynasty league and I think it's time to finally pull the plug on using my #1 WW claim. I've held it for almost a full season now because there haven't been any big drops or FAs available. This looks like it might be the time.
If Montgomery and Williams miss a month, any chance Jones can take over the roll? He looked pretty good in his first NFL touches ever.

Looking good! Glad to have him.

What is the best thing, he didnt get any receptions yet, but he will. Good receiver, good runner, nothing but value here for few games at least!
I am hoping Ty's injury is not anything that will require him to miss time. He has 10 days now to get healthy and broken ribs are more of a pain tolerance thing. Going forward it's possible that he could split time with Jones until Williams does come back. Maybe Jones takes more receiving work from Ty? Ty looked like a better runner than Jones... but it was Jones' first action. Jones is very good in the passing offense from reviews and reports. 

I hate to be the guy that posts about waiver pick advice without going to the Assistant coaches...but i'm gonna.

How would you rank these three backs in standard scoring for the rest of the season?

Chris Carson, Tarik Cohen, and Aaron Jones

CentralPA said:
I hate to be the guy that posts about waiver pick advice without going to the Assistant coaches...but i'm gonna.

How would you rank these three backs in standard scoring for the rest of the season?

ROS in that order... because Ty will come back at some point and retake his role

CentralPA said:

I agree with the Dr. the order you have them in looks correct. 

now, considering the 1st 2 are likely owned in all leagues, would Jones be worth a #1 WW priority?

now, considering the 1st 2 are likely owned in all leagues, would Jones be worth a #1 WW priority?
To the Ty Montgomery, absolutely :D

I'd say he's pretty close.  In PPR yes, in standard, I'd probably pull the trigger too but I'd have to think about it.

Well, at this point who else might be worth that? Maybe Connor if Bell goes down? 

I would wait and see what the diagnosis is on Ty. If he is missing significant time and you're the Ty owner and you don't have much depth... maybe to help save your season that makes sense.

If Ty is only out 1 week, or you're good at RB: nah, let someone else take him. 

If you're looking for a lotto pick, I am not so sure Jones fits that bill just yet. Ty would have to be done or Jones would have to absolutely destroy the next 1-3 weeks (whatever Ty is missing, if he misses at all) to take the job from Ty- Ty has looked very good to start this year. Statistically maybe not but watching him he has turned me into a believer, and at the start of the season I was leading the charge on him not being able to transition to full time RB. 

To offer a disclaimer, the title change is tongue in cheek (for now ;)  ), more making fun of myself and my man crush on Jones... and yes Nitschke did wear 33 for one season :)  

great news for Ty. I think Jones may have earned himself a few carries regardless. something to watch 
Agreed - he definitely showed better than Williams has all year.

that said, Montgomery was finally picking up chunk yardage on that first series, with huge gains per carry before exiting. 

So it may also have been a byproduct of a craptastic Bears run defense combined with good playcalling (longest run, Rodgers optioned to a run to the left because 3/4 of the Bears D was lined up to the right)

but with Williams spraining his knee I'm sure he'll be the COP/breather back.

what sucks is he'll be hyped as a waiver pickup, and I'm not sure I wanna spend my #1 priority on a handcuff RB. I also don't wanna be without my handcuff. It's a dilemma. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
what sucks is he'll be hyped as a waiver pickup, and I'm not sure I wanna spend my #1 priority on a handcuff RB. I also don't wanna be without my handcuff. It's a dilemma. 
Yeah, it's a weird/bad situation.  I also have a low waiver pick(#4) and own Montgomery.  I think I'm going to use the claim on Jones, but not 100% sure yet.

Yeah, it's a weird/bad situation.  I also have a low waiver pick(#4) and own Montgomery.  I think I'm going to use the claim on Jones, but not 100% sure yet.
Injury report comes out Wednesday, too.

so just hoping there's some news before Tuesday at 10:50 PM, because I'd rather not spend the WW pick. 

But if no news I may have to. And that's such a waste. And guaranteed if i do use it, the next week Montgomery will play and someone will go down w/injury & a true #1 caliber player will emerge. Because that's how my luck rolls.   :doh:  

check his rookie number ;)
He was a rookie in 1963 and pro-football reference has him as number 66 and his rookie card is 66 and he wore 66 his entire career..  Why is this even a discussion?   He was drafted as a fullback and was given  #33, but we all know him as #66 the linebacker.

Users who are viewing this thread