What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (2 Viewers)

Dr. Dan said:
False. 

I've quoted multiple articles from Packer insiders/experts/reporters in the GBP thread, Williams thread I believe, RB Lotto and maybe even in this thread that stated that Williams was ahead of Jones on the depth chart to start the season solely because he was drafted higher. (Jones, and even Mays, outplayed Williams in the preseason. I have on good authority that Williams was actually in danger of being cut in favor of Mays but they kept all 4 instead) 
Hey, IF that's true then I'm not too proud to admit that it would be some key info that I straight up missed. However, I'm not sure how I can believe it since Williams was reported to have taken first team reps (not sure how you can say that's false when he actually did it) and was the first one in the game when Montgomery got hurt. He also remained active over Mays. So the evidence points to the "insiders" being misinformed. 

Now, don't get me wrong, there could be some credence to him getting a benefit due to draft order. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened in the NFL. But it's not like we're talking about a 1st round pick vs. 7th round pick. They were drafted 4th and 5th, so I'm a little hesitant to believe it remained the sole factor in deciding the depth chart halfway through the season. So I'm not saying it can't be true, but it seems a little far fetched given the facts. 

Bottom line, I'm not trying to say your boy Jones isn't ever going to be good. Waldman has written that he had Williams ranked at 6 and Jones at 11, but that the difference was pretty small. I just like Williams' fit in GB better. I also don't put any value in anonymous eyeball tests and very little value in limited action in preseason. I just gave it a cursory glance and it appears Jones was playing later into games than Williams, so that's something you might want to take into account when checking those box scores. Anyway, it's not like either one was running with the starters in those games and neither one got very many touches in any one game. I'm guessing we're talking about maybe 15-20 touches total in the preseason, with 2nd and 3rd stringers, for each guy.

Hey, IF that's true then I'm not too proud to admit that it would be some key info that I straight up missed. However, I'm not sure how I can believe it since Williams was reported to have taken first team reps (not sure how you can say that's false when he actually did it) and was the first one in the game when Montgomery got hurt. He also remained active over Mays. So the evidence points to the "insiders" being misinformed. 

Now, don't get me wrong, there could be some credence to him getting a benefit due to draft order. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened in the NFL. But it's not like we're talking about a 1st round pick vs. 7th round pick. They were drafted 4th and 5th, so I'm a little hesitant to believe it remained the sole factor in deciding the depth chart halfway through the season. So I'm not saying it can't be true, but it seems a little far fetched given the facts. 

Bottom line, I'm not trying to say your boy Jones isn't ever going to be good. Waldman has written that he had Williams ranked at 6 and Jones at 11, but that the difference was pretty small. I just like Williams' fit in GB better. I also don't put any value in anonymous eyeball tests and very little value in limited action in preseason. I just gave it a cursory glance and it appears Jones was playing later into games than Williams, so that's something you might want to take into account when checking those box scores. Anyway, it's not like either one was running with the starters in those games and neither one got very many touches in any one game. I'm guessing we're talking about maybe 15-20 touches total in the preseason, with 2nd and 3rd stringers, for each guy.
I wasn't saying it was false that he got first team reps. You eluded to him getting 1st team reps because he was a good fit for Rodgers, which is why he was drafted ahead of Jones and why he was on the depth chart ahead of Jones and why he got first team reps ahead of Jones. That is false. He got 1st team reps and was ahead of Jones on the depth chart because he was drafted ahead of him. Jones and Mays significantly outplayed Williams during the preseason. I had some information that Williams was very underwhelming to the coaching staff in the preseason and was almost cut. They were going to give him every opportunity they could however. He does have a good college resume and I was excited when they drafted him, but after seeing him play... he's just another James Starks... which is exactly who he has been compared to by NFL scouts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, we're talking about limited touches over four games... with the backups... in preseason (maybe even less for Mays - I didn't check him at all). Waldman said Williams looked hesitant in the preseason so I'll grant you he wasn't playing his best ball, but I have to take issue with the use of "significantly". Seems like hyperbole. You want that to be true, but it's the preseason, neither one played that much, and Jones was playing later into the game than Williams. But when Ty got hurt, Williams was still 2nd on the depth chart, Jones was 3rd, and Mays was inactive. If those guys really "significantly" outplayed him, how long does getting drafted a round ahead of Jones buy Williams time on the depth chart if he's actually getting outplayed? He must've been doing something the coaches liked in practice to keep that spot for so long and to warrant those 1st team reps.

The Packers are pretty clearly going with the hot hand. They were giving Ty like 90% of the snaps earlier in the year, then Jones was getting 80%+, and now Williams is. If Williams sucks and Jones is a stud, then take solace in the fact that Jones will get another shot. This will be one of the most interesting backfields to watch going into next season. :popcorn:

The Packers are pretty clearly going with the hot hand. They were giving Ty like 90% of the snaps earlier in the year, then Jones was getting 80%+, and now Williams is. If Williams sucks and Jones is a stud, then take solace in the fact that Jones will get another shot. This will be one of the most interesting backfields to watch going into next season. :popcorn:
:goodposting:  

Then again Ted Thompson could screw every FF owner (and/or possibly his HC Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff) by taking another (or a several) RB(s) in next year's NFL draft.  :suds:

:goodposting:  

Then again Ted Thompson could screw every FF owner (and/or possibly his HC Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff) by taking another (or a several) RB(s) in next year's NFL draft.  :suds:
Wouldn't surprise me TBH. Ted is loyal to his picks to a fault, but seems to be only to those selected in rounds 1-3; he's cut 5th round and later picks in the past and out-drafted them the following year as well. I wouldn't be surprised if a good talent fell to him round 2 or 3 and he pulled the trigger. When you see what Kamara, Hunt, etc have done being drafted around there... how can you pass up a talent that impactful if it's there? Just because you spent some late round/throw away picks on a few good prospects the year before? I could see them moving on from Mays and drafting someone. Depends on available talent. I'd be all about a 2nd round WR and a 3rd round RB

Rodgers was spotted throwing fifty yarders and plans to resume practice on Saturday, per Rotoworld.  

edit: I said Sunday. They play Sunday.  

not sure I want to respond with what I know after such a inflammatory remark. Do you frequently insult people before you ask them for help? 
Stating facts is not an insult, my big booty brother. 'Tis a circle jerk sausage fest in here. A scrumptious sight indeed!

Goodness, I checked first on page 15 for substantive information.  Seeing the unpleasant personal commentary, I think I'll wait for a while to see if something more substantive is posted later.

That said, week 14 should be intriguing, once all 3 RBs may be well enough to play.  I wonder if GB should simply give the majority of carries to the healthiest back, unless the healthiest back isn't getting the job done well.

Oh boy. This could be big for Jones. He seemed to be the defecto lead dog even when Williams was healthy, or am I not remembering correctly. Didn’t Rodgers even sing his praises?

Oh boy. This could be big for Jones. He seemed to be the defecto lead dog even when Williams was healthy, or am I not remembering correctly. Didn’t Rodgers even sing his praises?
You are kind of not remembering correctly.  Williams got first crack, but hurt himself after a couple carries.  Then Jones came in and seemed to seize the job.  Then he got hurt, and busted.  Then Williams seized the job back.  Now, looks like its probably Williams job to lose.

this will be an excellent showcase for both RBs to see who can claim the top spot. It saves GB from having to use a pick on RB next year and use their draft capital elsewhere

(FWIW, I think Jones looks better)

You are kind of not remembering correctly.  Williams got first crack, but hurt himself after a couple carries.  Then Jones came in and seemed to seize the job.  Then he got hurt, and busted.  Then Williams seized the job back.  Now, looks like its probably Williams job to lose.
You bend the narrative as you want chief. Your boy doing 20 for 60 isn’t going to cut it much longer.

I thought there were a few games where jones and Williams were both active with TY out? Guess not. Jones is clearly the better runner though..... :popcorn:

You bend the narrative as you want chief. Your boy doing 20 for 60 isn’t going to cut it much longer.
I was not intentionally bending any narrative (chief?).  I am pretty sure thats what happened.  Ahartig is right in the next post...Williams (my boy?) did return, and by that time Jones had established himself.  Then he got hurt, as I said and Williams now appears to have taken over for now.  You're right, if he averages 3 YPC he probably wont keep it, but that isnt contrary to anything I said, that seems to have somehow ruffled your feathers. 

You probably own Jones, but dont take this stuff personally.  I own Williams, and I am not offended personally by anyone's opinion that Jones is a better player.  He very well may be.  I thought Williams looked good in that game on the road against a stout defense that was probably keying on the run.  He looked to me like a 3-down player.  I dont scout pass blocking, but from what I read, Williams is the better of the two. I suspect thats a vital characteristic for Green Bay because, you know, Aaron Rodgers is worth protecting.

By the way...your boy's 8 carries for 24 yards in his last two games is exactly 3 YPC.  He put up some nice numbers with Rodgers under center and with Hundley he broke one big one with a wide open hole that William Perry may have scored on, and the fantasy world mistook him for Walter Payton after that.  He may be great, but lets see him play a few games with a crap QB, a beat up OL, and stacked boxes that have zero fear of the pass.  Thats what Williams just did, on the road against a super bowl contender with a good defense, and he put up very good numbers, even if his YPC average wasnt impressive.  Jones may be able to do that too.  If so, then we probably have a nasty RBBC, and nobody in the fantasy world will be happy.  

I was not intentionally bending any narrative (chief?).  I am pretty sure thats what happened.  Ahartig is right in the next post...Williams (my boy?) did return, and by that time Jones had established himself.  Then he got hurt, as I said and Williams now appears to have taken over for now.  You're right, if he averages 3 YPC he probably wont keep it, but that isnt contrary to anything I said, that seems to have somehow ruffled your feathers. 

You probably own Jones, but dont take this stuff personally.  I own Williams, and I am not offended personally by anyone's opinion that Jones is a better player.  He very well may be.  I thought Williams looked good in that game on the road against a stout defense that was probably keying on the run.  He looked to me like a 3-down player.  I dont scout pass blocking, but from what I read, Williams is the better of the two. I suspect thats a vital characteristic for Green Bay because, you know, Aaron Rodgers is worth protecting.

By the way...your boy's 8 carries for 24 yards in his last two games is exactly 3 YPC.  He put up some nice numbers with Rodgers under center and with Hundley he broke one big one with a wide open hole that William Perry may have scored on, and the fantasy world mistook him for Walter Payton after that.  He may be great, but lets see him play a few games with a crap QB, a beat up OL, and stacked boxes that have zero fear of the pass.  Thats what Williams just did, on the road against a super bowl contender with a good defense, and he put up very good numbers, even if his YPC average wasnt impressive.  Jones may be able to do that too.  If so, then we probably have a nasty RBBC, and nobody in the fantasy world will be happy.  
Ok Football Jones... I’ll figure out all your alias and keep blocking you. You’re a troll. 

Ok Football Jones... I’ll figure out all your alias and keep blocking you. You’re a troll. 
Block away...but I am just Chuck, nobody else.  Plus, was my post even remotely offensive?  It was not meant to be in any way.  Not sure why you are getting so hot and bothered here.  Maybe try some meditation?

Bottom line on this...the sample sizes are way too small to make any educated assessments from what we have seen.  Both backs have produced some good tape, and both look to be more than able to contribute to a football team.  Anyone who says that one of these guys stands out over the other, probably owns that guy.  We all want the guy we invested in to be "the guy".  Us wanting it does not make it so, no matter how many times you post it on a message board.

Seriously, though, I don't think I've ever seen quite the saltiness from somebody who likes a player (Jones) & at the same time despises a competing player so much (Williams).

It's to the point it distracts from the threads. Each side should be able to talk football without the foolishness. 

Anyway, back to real football discussion...

Block away...but I am just Chuck, nobody else.  Plus, was my post even remotely offensive?  It was not meant to be in any way.  Not sure why you are getting so hot and bothered here.  Maybe try some meditation?

Bottom line on this...the sample sizes are way too small to make any educated assessments from what we have seen.  Both backs have produced some good tape, and both look to be more than able to contribute to a football team.  Anyone who says that one of these guys stands out over the other, probably owns that guy.  We all want the guy we invested in to be "the guy".  Us wanting it does not make it so, no matter how many times you post it on a message board.
Let's take it down a notch guys... Chuck is a long time poster and, like myself, is also a Dolphins fan and knows a special type if misery.  He doesn't deserve the troll comments.

If I had responded to your original post, it would have been that Williams didn't exactly "seize" the job back.  Seemed like more of a last man standing situation to me but, I agree, Green Bay isn't exactly a situation ripe for success right now.

Bojang, you seem a little over sensitive on the topic.  How about a quick apology and let's move on?

It LOOKS like Jones will be active.  Will he be a big part of the game plan?  What does this mean for Jamaal Williams?
My take (feel free to correct if you think it's off base)...

• Williams is a grinder, not particularly exceptional but solid runner if you don't really have an offensive vertical game (Hundley)
  • Jones is a better all around back and a much better fit for what the Packers want to do if/when ARod is back
I don't really feel like either one seized the job in their respective stretches when they dominated touches. They're different types of backs, each has situational / game flow value, neither will push the other aside for this year.

Thinking more about the semis and finals, not so much this week.

• Williams is a grinder, not particularly exceptional but solid runner if you don't really have an offensive vertical game (Hundley)
  • Jones is a better all around back and a much better fit for what the Packers want to do if/when ARod is back
I don't really feel like either one seized the job in their respective stretches when they dominated touches. They're different types of backs, each has situational / game flow value, neither will push the other aside for this year.

I think Jones looked like the better back, but Williams played well enough to keep the job.

if Williams struggles tin the first half, look for Jones to get more 9nto the mix

that is my take

I think this is a very spot on analysis of what we've seen so far

I do think Williams has earned the starting job over what he's done the last few weeks, but Jones has more play making ability and I do agree that he is better fit for the offense with Rodgers. One point to make- Williams may see more work to finish this season because he is reportedly better at pass pro than Jones, and Rodgers has a glass clavicle for now. 

I think this is a very spot on analysis of what we've seen so far

I do think Williams has earned the starting job over what he's done the last few weeks, but Jones has more play making ability and I do agree that he is better fit for the offense with Rodgers 
I dont get this.  Why?  Williams is the better pass blocker, and I dont think that is disputable.  Protecting your HOF QB shoudl be a priority, no?

On top of that, Williams has 16 catches for 162 yards.  Jones has 8 for 16.  I know the sample sizes are too small, but its what we have to work with and the conclusion is that Jones is a better fit with Rodgers?

I dont get this.  Why?  Williams is the better pass blocker, and I dont think that is disputable.  Protecting your HOF QB shoudl be a priority, no?

On top of that, Williams has 16 catches for 162 yards.  Jones has 8 for 16.  I know the sample sizes are too small, but its what we have to work with and the conclusion is that Jones is a better fit with Rodgers?
Because Aaron Jones is better at dump off passes? He seems more similar to Ty than Williams, and Ty was Rogers favorite of the 3 skills-wise.

Williams is better at pass pro. I admitted to that. Maybe you missed it. I even said, Rodgers has a glass clavicle for now, so I would expect Williams to get more playing time this year than Jones. Next year, I don't think so. Pass pro is something can be taught. You can't teach someone how to be explosive in the open field. 

Williams has never been a great pass catcher in college (1.4 catches per game). Doesn't mean he can't do it, but Jones had more catches in college than some of the poster-children for receiving RBs (Sproles to name one). 

Do you really think McCarthy calls the same game with Hundley at QB? Williams has been productive with Hundley, since Hundley can't throw the ball and Williams is more of a grinder. Jones is not a grinder. Jones has played much better with Rodgers. The offense with Rodgers is much more pass happy and fast paced. From the get go I had predicted that given an injury to Ty Montgomery, Aaron Jones would get Ty Montgomery's workload and Williams would be more short yardage, goal line even. I was even criticized heavily for say that. At this point I can't say I'm right but we can't say I'm wrong either because this offense has never been fully healthy to let things shake out. I can't remember the last time the Packers ran an offense that featured a rushing attack and ground out yardage like they are doing with Williams right now. 

Jones' skill set was always considered much closer to Ty Montgomery than Williams was. I don't think that is disputable. Go back and read draft analysis for these RBs and they will say just that. Rodgers loved using Ty Montgomery and when he was used fully he was a very valuable weapon. Jones is just as good of a receiver as Ty is, and he's an actual running back who can make some pretty awesome plays any time he touches the ball. 

We can debate who's more talented, but I don't think there's any question the Rodgers/Williams combo has better dynamics.

The light boxes favor Williams by a large margin with his elite physicality. When you consider the pass pro difference between Williams & Jones (which is huge) & the fact Williams is also a good receiver, it's basically a landslide for Rodgers/Williams as far as dynamics.

We can debate who's more talented, but I don't think there's any question the Rodgers/Williams combo has better dynamics.

The light boxes favor Williams by a large margin with his elite physicality. When you consider the pass pro difference between Williams & Jones (which is huge) & the fact Williams is also a good receiver, it's basically a landslide for Rodgers/Williams as far as dynamics.
Wholeheartedly agree with this.  I do own Williams in 2 dynasty leagues, and I understand how we can all be biased about the players we own, but logically this just sums it up. 

That said, Jones has looked electric at times, and I believe there is a meaningful role for him in the offense.  I don't think this is going to be a one man backfield like it has been for the past few weeks.  But the idea that Jones fits the Rodgers offense better than Williams seems preposterous to me.  I think there is a role for both - may even be an Ingram/Kamara dynamic to some extent.  Offense should score plenty of points, and there should be opportunities for both of them in the Rodgers offense.  Probably will be opportunities for both of them in the Hundley offense when Jones is back to 100%.

Realized Jones was available on the WW, so I picked him up. Now I should be set ... unless they split carries and destroy each other's value.  :wall:

Dude I was only making fun of you misquoting me before.  I know one week doesn't make him an all-pro, but I said originally that we may learn "a lot more" today.  I stand by what I said originally.  We learned a lot more
Long year...

Aaron Jones rushed three times for 47 yards in the Packers' Week 15 loss to the Panthers, adding a six-yard reception.

Jones managed to out-rush Jamaal Williams by 17 despite getting out-carried 10-3. He looked cannon shot on gains of 23 and 20 in the second quarter. Naturally, for reasons known only to him, Packers coach Mike McCarthy gave Jones just one more touch the rest of the way. That's not a shot at Williams, who has played reasonably well as Packers starter. Jones will be a high-risk FLEX option with some upside for the fantasy finals.

Yeah...odd that he wasn’t used in the run game as much after those nice runs.  Odd that they completely avoided the run much of the game.

And the downside is he got just run over by Davis in blitz pickup leading to a scramble by Rodgers

Jamaal WIlliams played on 43 offensive snaps (61%) 10 rushing attempts 30 yards 

Aaron Jones played on 26 offensive snaps (37%) 3 rushing attempts 47 yards 2 targets 1 reception 6 yards.

The previous week without Rodgers WIlliams played 50 offensive snaps (66%) Jones played on 8 offensive snaps (11%)

Seems clear that the Packers like having Williams on the field more than Jones. Pass protection may be a big part of that. At the same time with Rodgers back Jones played more and Jones had the only targets in the passing game for a RB.

I think it is pretty clear that Jones is the more explosive runner of the two, but Williams has some skills that Jones does not that causes him to get more playing time.

Biabreakable said:
Jamaal WIlliams played on 43 offensive snaps (61%) 10 rushing attempts 30 yards 

Aaron Jones played on 26 offensive snaps (37%) 3 rushing attempts 47 yards 2 targets 1 reception 6 yards.

The previous week without Rodgers WIlliams played 50 offensive snaps (66%) Jones played on 8 offensive snaps (11%)

Seems clear that the Packers like having Williams on the field more than Jones. Pass protection may be a big part of that. At the same time with Rodgers back Jones played more and Jones had the only targets in the passing game for a RB.

I think it is pretty clear that Jones is the more explosive runner of the two, but Williams has some skills that Jones does not that causes him to get more playing time.
I think the first bolded statement might be slightly overstated, but I think you nailed it with the underlined.  As mentioned in the post ahead of you, Jones got run over by TD in a blitz, and didn't play much after that.  He was pretty clearly the most explosive runner they had.  

After that blown blitz pickup, it was pretty much all Williams.  I think they just trust him more as a pass protector, and with Rodgers nursing a sore shoulder, they weren't willing to risk additional hits.  I'm curious what the split will be as Jones continues to improve in pass pro, and I'm very curious what the split will be if Hundley plays this weekend instead of Rodgers.

It's completely possible to me that while Jones was healthy enough to be available in weeks 13 and 14, he's much healthier now and able to be more effective - thus the increased snaps.

I think the first bolded statement might be slightly overstated, but I think you nailed it with the underlined.  As mentioned in the post ahead of you, Jones got run over by TD in a blitz, and didn't play much after that.  He was pretty clearly the most explosive runner they had.  

After that blown blitz pickup, it was pretty much all Williams.  I think they just trust him more as a pass protector, and with Rodgers nursing a sore shoulder, they weren't willing to risk additional hits.  I'm curious what the split will be as Jones continues to improve in pass pro, and I'm very curious what the split will be if Hundley plays this weekend instead of Rodgers.

It's completely possible to me that while Jones was healthy enough to be available in weeks 13 and 14, he's much healthier now and able to be more effective - thus the increased snaps.
I don't think it is over stated. They have been playing Jamaal Williams more than Aaron Jones. Period.

They actually played Jones more with Rodgers in as the QB. Rodgers has been put on IR. So now what? Do they play Jones less now with Hundley again?

Of course the pass protection has a lot to do with it. The offensive line may be such that the Packers are looking for a RB who can bring his own blocker and gain yards after contact as defenses load up on the run due to not being afraid of Hunfley beating them. Something that did change somewhat in the game that Rodgers played.

I don't think it matter much as bad match up against the Vikings this week anyways. Both should be bench.

Biabreakable said:
I don't think it is over stated. They have been playing Jamaal Williams more than Aaron Jones. Period.

They actually played Jones more with Rodgers in as the QB. Rodgers has been put on IR. So now what? Do they play Jones less now with Hundley again?

Of course the pass protection has a lot to do with it. The offensive line may be such that the Packers are looking for a RB who can bring his own blocker and gain yards after contact as defenses load up on the run due to not being afraid of Hunfley beating them. Something that did change somewhat in the game that Rodgers played.

I don't think it matter much as bad match up against the Vikings this week anyways. Both should be bench.
The portion I thought was overstated was "Seems clear the Packers like having Williams on the field more."  I'm not so sure it does.  He has certainly played more, but we don't know that Jones has been fully healthy.  It's certainly plausible to me that they prefer Jones as a runner and Williams as a pass protector right now, and with a banged up Rodgers and a Panthers D that was blitzing like crazy, they opted for the better pass protector.

From a running standpoint, Jones certainly looked much better this past week that Williams, which isn't too surprising to me.  He's looked much better than Williams the entire time (which isn't to say Williams is useless, but that Jones brings more juice IMO).

Sure looks like Aaron Jones has some Devonta Freeman type potential to me.  Think TT nailed it with both Williams and Jones.  Looks like they will complement each other well going forward.  

The portion I thought was overstated was "Seems clear the Packers like having Williams on the field more."  I'm not so sure it does.  He has certainly played more, but we don't know that Jones has been fully healthy.  It's certainly plausible to me that they prefer Jones as a runner and Williams as a pass protector right now, and with a banged up Rodgers and a Panthers D that was blitzing like crazy, they opted for the better pass protector.

From a running standpoint, Jones certainly looked much better this past week that Williams, which isn't too surprising to me.  He's looked much better than Williams the entire time (which isn't to say Williams is useless, but that Jones brings more juice IMO).
Yeah I don't really get what you are challenging from my statement.

They have played Williams more. I suppose maybe you disagree with them liking to do that?

I don't think either of us knows their intent or wishes. I don't think it is over stated however. They have been playing Williams more. If part of that is because Jones was hurt, pass protection or for whatever reasons, that fine, doesn't change the fact they have played Williams more, and not just in last weeks game.

As I noted they did play Jones more with Rodgers back. So that is a positive sign I think, but they still played Williams more, which isn't.

I completely agree that Jones looks like a better RB than Williams. My view about that hasn't really changed since before they were both drafted.

Williams is a good player too though. They drafted him before Jones for a reason, and perhaps they view him as a better football player right now, considering all skills they want a RB to have, even if Jones is the better runner.

I haven't been paying much attention to these guys for awhile. Just focused on them again as the Vikings play the Packers this week.

Users who are viewing this thread