What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (1 Viewer)

May play week 5, per coach. Not as serious as thought, per Schefter. 

Grain of salt, but the team never reported broken ribs. 

They never do unless absolutely necessary. Romo said it on the broadcast.  He could still have a very small fracture and they don't have to give out that information. Just the tag "questionable" whatever and "rib injury" ...

They never do unless absolutely necessary. Romo said it on the broadcast.  He could still have a very small fracture and they don't have to give out that information. Just the tag "questionable" whatever and "rib injury" ...
I disagree. 

First, Romo is a moron. Never listen to anything he said, as it only contributes to the dumbing down of America. 

2nd, teams have reported broken bones consistently since the injury report shenanigans rules went into place (thanks to the patriots). They can’t list a player who’s out as questionable. They have to report him as doubtful or out.

that all said, we won’t know until the Wednesday injury report comes out. That’s the official statement by the team, and they’re subject to league discipline if they are untruthful. 

Broken ribs is different than Bellickick listing Brady as “questionable, shoulder” for 27 straight games. 

I disagree. 

First, Romo is a moron. Never listen to anything he said, as it only contributes to the dumbing down of America. 

2nd, teams have reported broken bones consistently since the injury report shenanigans rules went into place (thanks to the patriots). They can’t list a player who’s out as questionable. They have to report him as doubtful or out.

that all said, we won’t know until the Wednesday injury report comes out. That’s the official statement by the team, and they’re subject to league discipline if they are untruthful. 

Broken ribs is different than Bellickick listing Brady as “questionable, shoulder” for 27 straight games. 
Not to hijack but my goodness... the guy is a mixture of Captain Obvious meets John Madden

:shrug:

Ty Montgomery (ribs) was not seen at the early portion of Thursday's practice.

Montgomery put in a limited practice on Wednesday and was expected to do the same on Thursday, though he was nowhere to be found during individual drills. A DNP Thursday would not be a good omen for Montgomery's Week 5 status. Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams would share the load if TyMont can't go Sunday against Dallas

I'm going down with the ship here.  I know Monty said he wanted to play, and he practiced yesterday.  The dirty secret is that Wednesday practices aren't full padded practices anymore.

I'll be floored if Monty plays with multiple broken ribs, when he's already said himself he has concerns about injuring internal organs.  Throw in the sickle cell trait which is known to slow the healing process in many cases ... I'd bet Monty misses through the bye.  

But what do I know?

Assuming Monty is out, that puts many Jones owners in a quandary. Williams is good to go, but is still not 100%. Do they split carries, or does Jones get the majority of the touches. I read Waldman's gut check this week and was pleasantly surprised to hear that saw Jones as the best receiving back in the whole 2017 class. Williams is better at pass pro, but Jones' skill set is an ideal fit in GB's offense. 

I never expected Monty to stay healthy and although I like Williams, Jones really passes the eye ball test. I won't be surprised to see this kid getting meaningful touches in the second half of the season 

All this to say, who has the stones to start him this week, and if you are, who are you benching? In a standard league and have to pick between Derrick Henry and Jones in my flex spot 

Monty isn't playing.  Too much risk.

I predict 10 carries for Jones, 5 carries for Williams, 5 carries for Rip, 5 carries for Rodgers.  In other words, they will all sap into each other's production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another full practice for Williams...

No one even knows who is gonna start the NFL game...can't see how anyone can can start Jones in FF other than as a complete crap shoot.

Monty isn't playing.  Too much risk.

I predict 10 carries for Jones, 5 carries for Williams, 5 carries for Rip, 5 carries for Rodgers.  In other words, they will all sap into each other's production.
I stand corrected Ty Mont might actually play.  This backfield is a COMPLETE mess.

Ty Montgomery - RB - Packers

Ty Montgomery (ribs) was officially "limited" in Thursday's practice.

Oct 5 - 4:18 PM

Williams must be a great pass protector, because he doesn't look like a very dynamic RB.
Waldman wrote an interesting article on this in the Gut Check weekly content... 

A lot of football writers have linked me to Jamaal Williams because I did a film room show with him as a guest. I also had Williams as my No. 6 back in the pre-draft version of the RSP. What you may not know is that Jones was my No. 10 runner and the difference in that ranking was small enough that you could have interchanged Williams and Jones depending on the needs of a team. 

While slightly different in style, Williams and Jones both have the talent to produce on the level of starting ball carriers in the NFL. Williams has the slightly bigger frame, Jones has better burst and change of direction. Williams was the better pass protector in college, Jones was arguably the best pure pass catcher among all 2017 running back prospects. 

Fast-forward to this fall and if I were to judge these players only on their regular season touches with the Packers as if I had never seen their tape, I'd tell you that Williams looks stiff, slow, and unimaginative as a runner. Jones appears fluid, quick, and comfortable. 

Williams doesn't look like the back I saw at BYU

If I were to create a narrative around his play, I'd guess that Williams has bought into the Packers and media's assessment that he's a straight-line banger and power back who wears defenses down. Until the Senior Bowl, many public listings for Williams were 225-230 pounds when Williams' trainer told me in Mobile that the runner always played in the range of 210-212 pounds. 

Williams also had a lot more wiggle to his game. He's capable of sharp cuts downhill, stop-start moves in tight spaces and jump-cuts to the next gap over. These haven't been consistent tools that have shown up in his running this summer or early fall. These were big parts of his running style that made him successful and a back I compared a lot of his game stylistically to former 49er and Eagles runner, Ricky Watters. 

Whether he's over-thinking the game or trying to be what the Packers say he should be, he's playing tight and it's led to mediocre outcomes on most of his touches. This wasn't the case for Jones when he entered the game to replace the injured Williams. Jones didn't have huge gains but his timing with the line was better and he displayed better comfort as if he was playing rather than thinking. 

Ty Montgomery has multiple broken ribs but could play this week. Williams will only miss a week with a minor knee sprain and despite the "stiff" style, he's earned limited touches per game and has never gotten a chance to get into a flow that is often important for backs. Williams is also the superior pass protector. 

While Jones may emerge at some point and hold onto a significant role if he can develop as a pass protector and make the best of future extended playing time, I think he's the most likely short-term fool's gold spend of the three backs in this piece. Long-term, he belongs on your dynasty rosters. 
I personally found the bolded to be quite a statement... I respect a lot of what Waldman writes and that was quite the assessment of Jones considering many backs in this draft are very good at receiving. 

Waldman wrote an interesting article on this in the Gut Check weekly content... 

I personally found the bolded to be quite a statement... I respect a lot of what Waldman writes and that was quite the assessment of Jones considering many backs in this draft are very good at receiving. 
I posted the same above and was shocked to read that as well

Another full practice for Williams...

No one even knows who is gonna start the NFL game...can't see how anyone can can start Jones in FF other than as a complete crap shoot.
Pretty much my whole RB core right now outsodeof gimpy Gordon and  :X  Crowell.

Collins, Gallman, Jones, Rawls, Ingram.

Williams must be a great pass protector, because he doesn't look like a very dynamic RB.
I dont know where I read it but I think he was the top pass protector of rookie running backs. Big reason why he's on the field rather than Jones at the moment... that might change when Jones shows what he can do. 

It'll be kind of hard to start Jones this week but I'm low key happy Williams is playing so everyone can watch Jones out perform him like he did through-out the majority of the preseason.
Thus why I'm starting him with confidence. 

It'll be kind of hard to start Jones this week but I'm low key happy Williams is playing so everyone can watch Jones out perform him like he did through-out the majority of the preseason.
This is the key...for him to be fantasy-relevant step 1 is passing Williams on the depth-chart...do that and he is a Ty Montgomery injury away from potentially blowing up and if he doesn't get hurt Jones will still have some legit value...

Grabbed Jones this week when I lost Carson to IR. So tempted to use him this week. Currently have Duke and Gore in lineup but seriously considering a change. I noticed Waldmans take on Jones this week as well and that's why I'm now mulling starting him.

Grabbed Jones this week when I lost Carson to IR. So tempted to use him this week. Currently have Duke and Gore in lineup but seriously considering a change. I noticed Waldmans take on Jones this week as well and that's why I'm now mulling starting him.
I may start him also. All he needs is the touches imo. Dallas' defense will get abused by GB. Looks like Lee will be out again too

I may start him also. All he needs is the touches imo. Dallas' defense will get abused by GB. Looks like Lee will be out again too
Man.......I'll look like a genius if I have the stones to start him this week and he goes off......leaning towards it now with that little bit of info about Lee.

Maybe he’ll prove to be better than Williams, but he’s been behind him to this point. No idea why Williams wouldn’t be starting this week. 

Jones is the superior receiver and GB saw enough from Jones last week to warrant giving him more carries. I expect them to split carries early on and Jones carrying much of the load in the 2nd half. 

I like Willams better than Jones as a potential feature back. That said, Williams is far from a lock. He needs to start running the way he did at BYU. Williams looks tentative right now which isn't uncommon for a rookie. Waldman, who also likes him, alluded to the tentativeness, as well. Williams is a much more dynamic runner than he's given credit for, but he's got to show it.

I believe one of these guys will emerge by the end of next season & my money is on Williams. That said, many people prefer Jones so it's becoming an interesting situation.

Slider said:
Williams is much better. Given the chance he'll impress and Jones will become a scat back or hurt.
so wrong. Jones has been better since preseason game 1

Slider said:
Nah, just watch a ton of college football and guess what I'll see. Not afraid to state my opinion and be right or wrong. That's what we're supposed to do here, right?
this is the NFL right? lots of guys good in college and did nothing in the NFL. Williams did better in college but Jones fits the GB offense way better. Williams is a less fat, less good lacy

what's interesting is that I would say it'll either be Jones going nuts this week or Mays and everyone will be scrambling to pick Mays up next week lol.

Williams has looked bad since he put on green and gold. unfortunate

what's interesting is that I would say it'll either be Jones going nuts this week or Mays and everyone will be scrambling to pick Mays up next week lol.

Williams has looked bad since he put on green and gold. unfortunate
Any idea why Williams was the next guy in when Ty went down if he's been so bad?

Not saying you're wrong, I just don't know the answer

Any idea why Williams was the next guy in when Ty went down if he's been so bad?

Everybody says it's pass pro, but there's a lot more to it than that. It's true Williams is much better in pass pro, but at this point, they aren't moving Jones over Williams because he was better in preseason games. Preseason action is so subjective not to mention the small sample size.

Jones had all training camp to beat out Williams & he didn't do it. I like Williams better than Jones as a potential feature back, but I'm also not sure the Packers even view Jones as feature back material. Not every RB is drafted as a potential feature back.

Interesting situation for sure.

he was next on the depth chart. and he was drafted higher. with Ted Thompson and RBs in the past this held true. 

I do think the objective was to ease Williams in as a between the tackle guy to help preserve Ty

Everybody says it's pass pro, but there's a lot more to it than that. It's true Williams is much better in pass pro, but at this point, they aren't moving Jones over Williams because he was better in preseason games. Preseason action is so subjective not to mention the small sample size.

Jones had all training camp to beat out Williams & he didn't do it. I like Williams better than Jones as a potential feature back, but I'm also not sure the Packers even view Jones as feature back material. Not every RB is drafted as a potential feature back.

Interesting situation for sure.
what makes you think Williams can be a featured back? nothing in his draft scouting suggested such. many scouts and pundits compared him to James Starks. 

what makes you think Williams can be a featured back? nothing in his draft scouting suggested such. many scouts and pundits compared him to James Starks. 
I know quite a few people who are fairly high on Williams, including Waldman (& the Packers). Personally, I like his overall game & believe it'll transfer to the pros as he gets more comfortable. Williams needs to get more aggressive similar to the way he played in college, but he's much more dynamic than given credit for by many people.

That said, my interest in him had a lot to do with his ADP. You could typically get Williams in the mid-2nd to early 3rd (dynasty). I believe it's outstanding value considering his ability & situation.

Users who are viewing this thread