What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (2 Viewers)

Some one did say “the only think holding back Jones is Rodgers” - but I do admit that I’m interpreting that a bit broadly partially in jest.
I didn't see anyone saying he was the only thing holding him back.

He was certainly holding him back the other night.

Rodgers was crap that game imo.

I didn't see anyone saying he was the only thing holding him back.

I think we are watching different players. He has burst and gets down field fast, power and can move the pile, he has good rb vision, he turns -3 yard carries into 3 yard carries, he can catch and pass block. The only thing holding him back is Rodgers, who needs to be the hero and the star and wants to throw the ball down field on every play. Sure maybe using him to upgrade to a more proven top commodity might be a good play. But a long way from raw ability? I don't think so. Watch the tape. 

Ah.

I think you can tell he doesn't mean it the way you are pushing it in order to argue.

The post's point is spot on, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron Jones rushed 17 times for 72 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 12 loss to the Vikings.

Jones continued to be a bright spot for a Packers offense that's taken a step back the last couple weeks. He went untouched from six yards out on his touchdown, but most of his yards came after contact. Jones remained involved in the pass game with 21 yards on three catches. Jamaal Williams barely saw the field behind Jones, getting just one carry. Jones will be a locked-in RB1 for Week 13 against the Cardinals.

Nov 25 - 11:44 PM

Benched him for M. Mack who "had the matchup." Not doing this again. 

Even against MN he was slicing them up. 

AZ, ATL, @CHI, @NYJ the rest of the way. Don't think he's leaving my starting lineup. Even against CHI. 

AZ, ATL, @CHI, @NYJ the rest of the way. Don't think he's leaving my starting lineup. Even against CHI. 
The only thing holding him back is still the coaches.  He is incredible in space.  Why do they go away from the screen game with him?  Last night in trail mode for the last couple of drives when they needed big plays they had Williams in.  This made no sense.  Jones could pick up 30 yds on any dump off.  That would be more important at that juncture than any incremental pass blocking improvement Williams may have.  I was baffled why Jones was out of the game. 

The only thing holding him back is still the coaches.  He is incredible in space.  Why do they go away from the screen game with him?  Last night in trail mode for the last couple of drives when they needed big plays they had Williams in.  This made no sense.  Jones could pick up 30 yds on any dump off.  That would be more important at that juncture than any incremental pass blocking improvement Williams may have.  I was baffled why Jones was out of the game. 
I was thinking the same thing.  Just baffling.  He's locked into my starting lineup rest of season for sure.

@Chi will be a tough call.  Would need a solid alternative.

Yes. The next coach will do better. 

Also, all the talk about Williams' better pass blocking and he blows the blitz pickup on a critical 3rd down. Jones made some excellent blitz pickups. Was nice to see, especially with MIN doing that weird 3 LB over the center thing- has to be hard for the RB to make adjustments last second to pick up the guy coming. 

So McCarthy gave him the reins for a couple weeks and he did great. Then McCarthy goes back to barely using him last week and he salvaged the day with a nice TD. I feel like Philbin isn’t the smartest so he may be more a use both RBs guy then use the better player. What does everyone else see.

Never thought I’d take him out of my lineup the rest of the year but with Chicago knowing they have to get Cohen the ball and with Chubb and Lindsay as well I have to sit someone and am leaning jones right now because I feel his floor is lowest

So McCarthy gave him the reins for a couple weeks and he did great. Then McCarthy goes back to barely using him last week and he salvaged the day with a nice TD. I feel like Philbin isn’t the smartest so he may be more a use both RBs guy then use the better player. What does everyone else see.

Never thought I’d take him out of my lineup the rest of the year but with Chicago knowing they have to get Cohen the ball and with Chubb and Lindsay as well I have to sit someone and am leaning jones right now because I feel his floor is lowest
I'm counting on QB Aaron running the show for the remaining games this year, which should be good news for both Aaron's.

I'm counting on QB Aaron running the show for the remaining games this year, which should be good news for both Aaron's.
I think so too.

Rodgers has basically been lobbying for the skill players he wants to be in the lineup all year.

Aaron Jones is one of those. Another one is Kumerow.

I think it is unusual for a QB to lobby for which players on their team they want to be playing more, but Rodgers has been doing that this season.

The post I quoted said not one appearance

I read that as he wasn't on the field 

Is that correct?
Yes...the team has shown they are more comfortable with Williams in pass heavy drives.  Especially with the line changes. 

Jones In in the 2nd drive...

Edit: apparently I’m incapable of distinguishing between Rodgers and Jones...

That being said, RIP some of my seasons.  :cry:

The usage of Jones is bizarre. He’s the second most consistent playmaker outside of Adams. Obviously he can’t be used every down but the extreme efficiency vs Williams total ineptness in anything other than blocking (is this even still true?) is absurd.

The usage of Jones is bizarre. He’s the second most consistent playmaker outside of Adams. Obviously he can’t be used every down but the extreme efficiency vs Williams total ineptness in anything other than blocking (is this even still true?) is absurd.
It was surprising that they didn’t run more early...but the results were there almost no matter what they did today.

I keep hearing how Williams is better in pass pro but I have not really ever noticed him being better than Jones. Is there a pass pro stat by PFF or someone backing up this Williams being an all world blocker compared to Jones?

dmac37 said:
I keep hearing how Williams is better in pass pro but I have not really ever noticed him being better than Jones. Is there a pass pro stat by PFF or someone backing up this Williams being an all world blocker compared to Jones?
A quick update on Aaron Jones pass blocking from PFF’s Pat Thorman. “Yet to allow any QB pressures this season.”

GB coaching staff: Fire them into the sun. 

Further on down that thread he states that Williams has allowed 4 in 54 and Jones 0 in 25... pass blocking narratives need to die. Smart coaching staffs use the talent at what they’re good at. Imagine demanding Cohen to pass block or, for that matter, Gurley, Saquon or David Johnson.... it’s absurd.

After watching Gurley get shutdown by Chicago last night it's going to be very difficult to start A. Jones this week.

Think CHI D will be highly motivated against this GB team. 

After watching Gurley get shutdown by Chicago last night it's going to be very difficult to start A. Jones this week.

It is more the refusal to use Jones full time that scares me ......coupled with the minimal touches against a great defense of course.    I couldn't believe Jones did not touch the ball the entire first quarter yesterday.  How do you do that to your best playmaker out of the backfield?  It's no wonder the Packers have sucked this year. 

It is more the refusal to use Jones full time that scares me ......coupled with the minimal touches against a great defense of course.    I couldn't believe Jones did not touch the ball the entire first quarter yesterday.  How do you do that to your best playmaker out of the backfield?  It's no wonder the Packers have sucked this year. 
Agreed. Really thinking about sitting him for Tevin Coleman and I think it’s crappy. If he was used as everything he’s shown on the field has suggested he should be used, it wouldn’t even be a question even with it being Chicago. 

No way I'm playing Jones against CHI.

Total mauling coming up for GBP.

I admit, if I had him in a meaningful game this week I would second guess if I wanted to use him or not. I'm actually going against him this week in my high stakes redraft/keeper league, and I feel pretty good about it.

I would feel better about Jones if his usage improved last week, especially in the check down game. He could be used as he was in the Seattle game, but that's still a risk.

If I had better options I'd probably bench him. As I said, I feel pretty good going against him this week. 

I’ve decided against benching him. He produced against his toughest three matchups of Minnesota, LA and Seattle. That’s not a murderers row but the only thing that has stopped him from producing this year is the Green Bay coaching staff. Every touch he has can go to the house and he is one of the most elusive players in the NFL not just the position. With all the injuries and poo slinging at the wall I don’t see how we can justify benching him at this point. Mark me down for riding the storm out and not cowering behind the likes of Tevin Coleman or Justin Jackson.

I’ve decided against benching him. He produced against his toughest three matchups of Minnesota, LA and Seattle. That’s not a murderers row but the only thing that has stopped him from producing this year is the Green Bay coaching staff. Every touch he has can go to the house and he is one of the most elusive players in the NFL not just the position. With all the injuries and poo slinging at the wall I don’t see how we can justify benching him at this point. Mark me down for riding the storm out and not cowering behind the likes of Tevin Coleman or Justin Jackson.
I wouldn't bench him for Justin Jackson. I would bench only if I had a real solid option

Has anyone had success at Chicago?  I've enjoyed the last month, and I look forward to future seasons, but he's on my bench this week behind CMC, Fournette, and D.Cook.

Sony against Pit is scary IMO. 

I lost this week (partly due to Sony) in the playoffs but have both Jones and Sony..... I’d start Jones over Sony if I was in the semis this week. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
I'm leaning Jones over Spencer Ware and Drake.  But If Ware was playing on Sunday instead of Thursday, and didn't get dinged up last week, It might be harder to do.

I was just stating my own personal options but I can’t imagine most are in better situations, though, I’m sure some are.
Jackson /Jones is my exact quandry.  Obviously what happened to Gurley Chicago is the concern. The lure of Jackson is real, however... 

Jones TD games of 1, 1, 1, 2 & 2  in the last 5 makes it real hard to bench.    

picked up Jackson in a defensive move. if Gordon sits Jackson will be getting massive volume. 

I'd highly consider starting him over Jones

Users who are viewing this thread