What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (3 Viewers)

Was planning on starting S. Ware over A. Jones. That doesn't look to be working out.

Really hate this matchup. Could luck out and land in the endzone but just don't see a huge ceiling here.

Actually debating D. Williams over him if there's no sign of C. West, but doubt I have the guts to do it. 

GB on the road this year has been trash as well. Feeling trapped. 

I have a banged up TY Hilton in over Jones and Ware at this moment. At Chicago has me very worried but if TY is still hurting I might be forced to go with Jones. 

Was planning on starting S. Ware over A. Jones. That doesn't look to be working out.

Really hate this matchup. Could luck out and land in the endzone but just don't see a huge ceiling here.

Actually debating D. Williams over him if there's no sign of C. West, but doubt I have the guts to do it. 

GB on the road this year has been trash as well. Feeling trapped. 
Damien should be solid this week. If ppr I'd go with Damien, standard Jones.

Damien should be solid this week. If ppr I'd go with Damien, standard Jones.
I'm considering D. Williams. Can't believe it. The "start your studs" and "overthinking it" experts would have a field day with this one for sure.

A couple other things on D. Williams. T. Hill is banged up, S. Watkins out, and the LAC are exceptional vs. TEs -- Kelce has his worst games historically against the Chargers. So, logic points towards increased involvement in the running game tonight. 

Anyone considering selling? 

As odd as it is to say, I am. This new coaching thing has me wondering if Jones might be replaced in a year or two, or maybe even as early as this draft. He is explosive with the ball (led the league in ypc by a lot), but he got hurt again, and who knows if the new coach schemes for him or away from him. Might be a decent time to sell. someone talk me off the ledge 

Last edited by a moderator:
so, where do you rank this guy in dynasty?

17 Keryon Johnson

18 Devonta Freeman

19 Tarik Cohen

20 Aaron Jones

21 Mark Ingram

22 Damien Williams

23 Jordan Howard

I have him at 20 (in ppr) but couldn't argue with anyone that wanted to move him up past Cohen and Freeman.

As odd as it is to say, I am. This new coaching thing has me wondering if Jones might be replaced in a year or two, or maybe even as early as this draft. He is explosive with the ball (led the league in ypc by a lot), but he got hurt again, and who knows if the new coach schemes for him or away from him. Might be a decent time to sell. someone talk me off the ledge 
I have no issue with selling him but I wouldn't give him away.  I would move him if I was getting what I thought was equal value or more in return. 

Dr. Dan said:

I own him in a couple leagues, along with Marlon Mack, both of who I'm looking to package to upgrade along with one of my WR's.  They are the perfect chip to use to upgrade because they are actually good.  Maybe not elite but they carry decent value and it's easier to upgrade off of that.  Sure they're nice to have but like you said there might be some changes coming and the unlikelyhood of him/them becoming elite RB's is high so use them to upgrade somewhere.  I for one am going for Kamara or McCaffrey by using them.  Probably a hard gap to bridge, but who doesn't like bold moves in the offseason right?  

Dr. Dan said:

Has there been any news on the extent of his injury? Does he go under the knife?

Gotta say I'm a little surprised by this.  Nearly every Packer fan was screaming for Jones to be the starter by week 3 or 4.  (right after his 2 game suspension).  He clearly was far more dynamic than Williams.  McCarthy refused to start him until week 7.  From week 7-14, when he was the starter, he was the #5 RB in the league and averaged nearly 19ppg in PPR.  You also have to account for the fact that McCarthy was running one of the most stale offenses in the league.  We don't know who the next coach is going to be just yet, but it sure looks like its going to be a forward thinking offensive mind.  (Josh McDaniels has the inside track right now).  

If you believe a new coach can invigorate Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense (and I do), there is ample room for huge growth.  Packers were 12th in yards, and 14th in scoring this year.  They scored 376 points.  Top offenses in KC, LA and NO, all scored between 504-565 points.  Even if the Packers score 450 next year that's 10 more TDs to go around.  That could push Jones into the 20-25ppg category.  

Gotta say I'm a little surprised by this.  Nearly every Packer fan was screaming for Jones to be the starter by week 3 or 4.  (right after his 2 game suspension).  He clearly was far more dynamic than Williams.  McCarthy refused to start him until week 7.  From week 7-14, when he was the starter, he was the #5 RB in the league and averaged nearly 19ppg in PPR.  You also have to account for the fact that McCarthy was running one of the most stale offenses in the league.  We don't know who the next coach is going to be just yet, but it sure looks like its going to be a forward thinking offensive mind.  (Josh McDaniels has the inside track right now).  

If you believe a new coach can invigorate Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense (and I do), there is ample room for huge growth.  Packers were 12th in yards, and 14th in scoring this year.  They scored 376 points.  Top offenses in KC, LA and NO, all scored between 504-565 points.  Even if the Packers score 450 next year that's 10 more TDs to go around.  That could push Jones into the 20-25ppg category.  
yes, I think this is a possibility as well. if a new coach can feed him the ball and get him more involved in the passing game then he has potential to be a rb1

I'm just rosterbating, as @Hot Sauce Guylikes to put it

Dr. Dan said:

Considering you're hiring the guy who refused to play Derrick Henry over a used-up scat back (until Henry forced his hand twice), who knows? 

But Jones does seem more like the type of runner LaFleur was irrationally infatuated with, so I'd hold for now and hope he gets Dion Lewis volume.

Considering you're hiring the guy who refused to play Derrick Henry over a used-up scat back (until Henry forced his hand twice), who knows? 

But Jones does seem more like the type of runner LaFleur was irrationally infatuated with, so I'd hold for now and hope he gets Dion Lewis volume.
yes, after hearing of this hire I like Jones a LOT more.

I think TEN was a mess due to this new offense and not really having the personnel for it. GB does. I think Jones has potential to see a huge increase in targets, which is excellent in ppr. 

Holding with confidence 

You can’t be serious about the Derrick Henry take.  Guy averaged 3.7 yards per carry over his first 128 carries (12 games).  

Not only that, Henry had 18 carries in week 2 and again in week 3.  Got 56 and 57 yards.  3.1 ypc.  

You are also assuming the OC is fully in charge of playing time decisions when the GM just paid Dion Lewis a big FA contract.  

Dr. Dan said:

I sold him for the 1.4 right before my leagues trade deadline. Full disclosure, this is Keep 13 league so we can’t go as deep and hold as many folks as most dynasty leagues, and my team is pretty stacked, so I decided to take a high first round return on a guy I bought for a 3rd rounder in the offseason. Championship! ;)  

In two dynasties I have Jones as a RB3/bench type player and in circumstances like that I think he’s a hold just due to upside *if he’s clearly the guy under the new regime.  

In a situation where you need him as a regular starter I feel more uneasy. I think his talent is pretty clear and he’s been efficient and very effective with his touches. But he doesn’t have the kind of high draft pedigree that automatically transfers between staffs and he only gained the clear starting role this year and for a relatively brief time. It’s also difficult to tell what NFL folks think of him. He was a sleeper darling in FF circles in the 2018 offseason. There were several pieces during the season about how GB needed to give him more touches. But did he establish himself in a way that provides anything presumptive going into 2019?

In two dynasties I have Jones as a RB3/bench type player and in circumstances like that I think he’s a hold just due to upside *if he’s clearly the guy under the new regime.  

In a situation where you need him as a regular starter I feel more uneasy. I think his talent is pretty clear and he’s been efficient and very effective with his touches. But he doesn’t have the kind of high draft pedigree that automatically transfers between staffs and he only gained the clear starting role this year and for a relatively brief time. It’s also difficult to tell what NFL folks think of him. He was a sleeper darling in FF circles in the 2018 offseason. There were several pieces during the season about how GB needed to give him more touches. But did he establish himself in a way that provides anything presumptive going into 2019?
I think it is a good question as with a new coaching staff they do not have ties to the players of previous staff. It is entirely possible that the Packers will add some new RB this offseason.

However the pattern I have seen from the Packers organization is that they double dip on RB in the draft when they need them. They did this with Lacy and Johnathan Franklin. Franklin had a career ending injury before even getting a chance, but this would have been an interesting competition between the two RB if he hadn't. The Packers did not really address the position until Lacys rookie contract was up and then they drafted WIlliams and Jones in the same year to replace him (and Starks).

So I think they will stay the course here and I am not expecting a high investment at the RB position at this time.

Rodgers openly campaigned for Jones to play more and I don't think he would have done that if he didn't think Jones was the best choice. He also would not have done this if the head coach was smart enough to agree (I don't think he was). It was like Rodgers was using the media to influence his coaches decisions about who to play on offense.

I figure the new coach will listen to Rodgers more than the last one.

Rodgers openly campaigned for Jones to play more and I don't think he would have done that if he didn't think Jones was the best choice. He also would not have done this if the head coach was smart enough to agree (I don't think he was). It was like Rodgers was using the media to influence his coaches decisions about who to play on offense.

I figure the new coach will listen to Rodgers more than the last one.
Yeah, this seems like a pretty important factor. Good call. I know @Dr. Dan has mentioned this several times before as well.

Per PFF, Aaron Jones was the 12th best RB in the league this year.  He led the league in yards per attempt.  Averaged 5.5 in 2017 and 2018.  

Packers roster is riddled with holes, especially on defense.  I can't think of a position they need less than a RB.  

Everyone is starting to pump him up and put him on a pedestool but lets not forget he was on suspension at the start of the year, he has started to become a bit annoying with injuries and it is a new coaching staff that tells us the questions are still unanswered.  As much as I liked him and own him in places, cautious optimism is what's needed because there are some red flags for this guy already.  

Zyphros said:
Everyone is starting to pump him up and put him on a pedestool but lets not forget he was on suspension at the start of the year, he has started to become a bit annoying with injuries and it is a new coaching staff that tells us the questions are still unanswered.  As much as I liked him and own him in places, cautious optimism is what's needed because there are some red flags for this guy already.  
A sprained MCL does not seem like a red flag to me nor does his two game suspension already served.

If Jones had a 300 touch season performing as well or near to as well as he has people would have him a lot higher than they do.

No defense is going to worry about Jones (or any RB) while Rodgers is starting, so its a great opportunity for any RB here.

Per PFF, Aaron Jones was the 12th best RB in the league this year.  He led the league in yards per attempt.  Averaged 5.5 in 2017 and 2018.  

Packers roster is riddled with holes, especially on defense.  I can't think of a position they need less than a RB.  
Don't they need a third RB? Montgomery went to Baltimore, right?

Speaking Wednesday at the Combine, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said Aaron Jones is capable of being an every-down back but needs to work on his strength and conditioning.

Jones was never given a real chance to be a No. 1 back under ex-coach Mike McCarthy, and this could explain part of the reasoning. Jamaal Williams continued to be a thorn in the side of Jones truthers. Gutekunst seems to believe in Jones' ability as a potential lead dog, but he needs to show more in the offseason program. Green Bay could also add a piece to their backfield, with Le'Veon Bell being thrown around by some as a potential free-agent pickup.

SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 8:56 AM

New Packers coach Matt LaFleur said a "committee approach" is the most effective when it comes to Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones.

In other words, LaFleur doesn't believe either Williams or Jones is a bellcow runner. Both have shown the ability to put up big numbers when given the chance to be No. 1 backs when the other has been injured, particularly Williams down the stretch last season when Jones was on I.R. But Williams is a plodding type, and Jones was called out for his conditioning by Gm Brian Gutekunst on Wednesday. It doesn't sound like LaFleur is willing to commit to one running back.

RELATED: 

Aaron Jones

SOURCE: Michael Cohen on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 11:54 AM

Praised by GM

February 28, 2019

General manager Brian Gutekunst said he wants Jones "on the field as much as possible" in 2019, Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

ANALYSIS This comment is interesting because head coach Matt LaFleur recently said he believes a committee approach is the most effective way to go, per Michael Cohen of the Athletic, which seems like the more realistic statement. While it's true that in an ideal world the Packers could have Jones on the field every single snap, as Gutekunst suggested, the 5-foot-9 runner has missed four games in each of his first two seasons in the league and has yet to show he can truly handle a workhorse role. While we'd still expect Jones to significantly out-snap Williams in 2019 anyway, Williams could siphon enough of the workload away to keep Jones from reaching the uppermost tiers of fantasy running backs.
Interesting. We will likely see more of the same this year at RB. 

I think its worth noting Guntekunst did not hire Lafleur

This pretty much squashes any thoughts I had of GB taking a RB first 3 rounds of this draft, or bringing in a top vet to compete. This is Jones backfield going forward. The cream will rise to the top. 

Excited to see Jones used more in the passing game

This pretty much squashes any thoughts I had of GB taking a RB first 3 rounds of this draft, or bringing in a top vet to compete. This is Jones backfield going forward. The cream will rise to the top. 

While it may be more unlikely this doesn’t “squash” anything. 85% of what you hear from GMs or other team sources should be taken with a grain of salt this time of year. For all we know Bell could be the first guy they call - and who knows what they’ll do in the draft.

to think the bolded based on a blurb right now is silly

to think the bolded based on a blurb right now is silly
:shrug: when the guy signing and drafting players makes a case for one of his guys to be on the field all the time, I'm not worried about him bringing in a top FA or high draft pick to compete. 

I'm certainly not worried about Jamaal Williams. McCarthy found out hes JAG and so will Lafleur 

:shrug: when the guy signing and drafting players makes a case for one of his guys to be on the field all the time, I'm not worried about him bringing in a top FA or high draft pick to compete. 

I'm certainly not worried about Jamaal Williams. McCarthy found out hes JAG and so will Lafleur 
Is this the first offseason you’ve followed football? I’m just playing - not trying to be snarky.

This is silly season. GMs don’t put their cards on the table and if they do it’s usually misdirection. I’m not saying that’s what happening here but we have to assume it’s meaningless until FA and the draft passes. Then we’ll know for sure.

Packers RB Aaron Jones reported to the team’s offseason program with 5.3 percent body fat.

It's nearly half the body fat Jones played with last season. The third-year breakout candidate claims he quit candy and soda to simply stay healthy throughout the year, but it's a telling sign it happened only three short months after GM Brian Gutekunst's claim that Jones needed to work on his strength and conditioning in order to become an every-down back. Despite early reports of a "committee approach" under new coach Matt LaFleur, Jones is far and away the superior talent compared to sloth-like backup Jamaal Williams and 2019 sixth-rounder Dexter Williams. He arguably has top-12 upside if available for a 16-game stretch for the first time in his career.

SOURCE: Packers News

May 29, 2019, 7:44 PM ET

Conditioning has very little to do with food intake.  He can cut candy and soda out as much as he wants, it doesn't make his endurance any better.  

for the record, I did sell Jones. I didnt really want to, but it was an awesome deal

I do have a feeling I'll be drafting GBs RB in 2020 with one of my 3 1sts

This is incorrect.
I'll take your word as gospel then if you're not going to explain.  

Lungs are trained muscles like the rest of the body, you can be fit physically and have poor lungs with an inability to run for long periods of time.  My statement is not incorrect.  

In terms of best ball his price is a bit too high for me in the 3rd/4th round.  Would much rather take some of the safer options at that price tag.

Lungs are trained muscles like the rest of the body, you can be fit physically and have poor lungs with an inability to run for long periods of time.  My statement is not incorrect.  
So wait.  You don’t believe what you fuel your body with has an impact on your “ability to run for long periods of time?”

The lungs are organs, not muscles.  They improve in performance via the optimization of gas exchange in order to oxygenate the blood.

You've completely generalized the body without understanding cellular metabolism (IE energy production).  What you put inside your body matters as to how the body will convert it into usable energy for work, or in this case conditioning/endurance.  Consuming highly processed sugar - the absolute lowest quality form of fuel known to human biology - WILL impact the capabilities of the mitochondria within the cells to produce ATP (cellular energy), and further, WILL increase reactive oxygen species production within the cells which causes inflammation and from an athletic perspective, decreases tissue quality and performance.

Just cause you see dudes drinking gatorade on the sidelines and they still have a ripped six pack doesn't mean their bodies are functioning optimally.  A guy who is taking the time to fuel his body properly is someone trying to stack the deck as much in his favor as possible - as he should (see Tom Brady, TB12 etc.)  Whether all this has the desired, quantifiable impact Aaron Jones is looking for remains to be seen, but a blanket statement that your dietary intake doesn't effect athletic performance is patently incorrect, regardless of what your Phys Ed teacher might have told you 30 years ago.

The lungs are an organs, not muscles.  They improve in performance via the optimization of gas exchange in order to oxygenate the blood.

You've completely generalized the body without understanding cellular metabolism (IE energy production).  What you put inside your body matters as to how the body will convert it into usable energy for work, or in this case conditioning/endurance.  Consuming highly processed sugar - the absolute lowest quality form of fuel known to human biology - WILL impact the capabilities of the mitochondria within the cells to produce ATP (cellular energy), and further, WILL increase reactive oxygen species production within the cells which causes inflammation and from an athletic perspective, decreases tissue quality and performance.

Just cause you see dudes drinking gatorade on the sidelines and they still have a ripped six pack doesn't mean their bodies are functioning optimally.  A guy who is taking the time to fuel his body properly is someone trying to stack the deck as much in his favor as possible - as he should (see Tom Brady, TB1 etc.)  Whether all this has the desired, quantifiable impact Aaron Jones is looking for remains to be seen, but a blanket statement that your dietary intake doesn't effect athletic performance is patently incorrect, regardless of what your Phys Ed teacher might have told you 30 years ago.
Greatest response in FBG history. 

Users who are viewing this thread