What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (10 Viewers)

for the record, I did sell Jones. I didnt really want to, but it was an awesome deal

I do have a feeling I'll be drafting GBs RB in 2020 with one of my 3 1sts
I traded him away in one dynasty and held in two others. In the league where I traded him it was for a 2020 first that could be in the top third of the first round, and my team in that league is rebuilding. I like the idea of having a chance at one of the top 2020 rookie WRs more than I like Jones's chances of  becoming a RB1. But I also acknowledge that he could emerge; he seems to have the talent. I see the risks as durability and the staff wanting a committee.

I have learned from this thread, however, that as long as he's taking regular refined sugar injections into his lung muscles he could become a beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. I'll stick around. Will there be a test at the end?
Multiple choice:

Are lungs muscles?

A. Yes, and my cat's breath smells like cat food

B. Heck no and don't let anyone tell you differently

C. Isn't every part of you body a muscle metaphorically speaking?

D. I am what I am. Pass the spinach, I want to build up me lungs.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Food intake is part of it for sure, but if you don’t increase capacity in the lungs then the conditioning isn’t there.  Again you can be fit and healthy and have plenty of energy from the food you eat, and still not able to run very long.  

I doubt it’s much of an issue and like someone said already, cutting candy and soda can only help.  But cutting those things has very little impact on his conditioning.  

Thatll be a reflection of his training, more than his diet.  

for the record, I did sell Jones. I didnt really want to, but it was an awesome deal

I do have a feeling I'll be drafting GBs RB in 2020 with one of my 3 1sts
You didn’t want to sell him leads me to believe you are optimistic of his production but then you foresee you drafting a deifferent GB running back, as though you don’t see Jones performing well and another RB will either carry a healthy enough load or take over the spot from Jones?

You didn’t want to sell him leads me to believe you are optimistic of his production but then you foresee you drafting a deifferent GB running back, as though you don’t see Jones performing well and another RB will either carry a healthy enough load or take over the spot from Jones?
LOL I feel like a lot of people do this, and I am sure I am guilty at times as well.  When the player is on our team, his upside is considerably higher than it is once we trade him.  Dan was one of the biggest Aaron Jones supporters out there at this time last year - when I assume he was on his team.  His upside going into this season is significantly higher than last, when he was starting out with a suspension and without a defined starting role upon return.  He got a great offer for him and took it...and now Jones is all of a sudden an easily replaceable talent.

FWIW I was always told to eats carbs and hydrate the day prior to a 5 mile run or road March because that is the fuel that will be used up.

Dehydration can lead to cramps which is no fun when you still have a long way to go.

The guys who got drunk the night before were hating this exercise a lot more than the guys who didnt.

Biabreakable said:
FWIW I was always told to eats carbs and hydrate the day prior to a 5 mile run or road March because that is the fuel that will be used up.

Dehydration can lead to cramps which is no fun when you still have a long way to go.

The guys who got drunk the night before were hating this exercise a lot more than the guys who didnt.
I always cringe when I hear/see young men on the bike with hoodies on, spitting into a cup, etc so they make weight for wrestling. The time it takes to rehydrate is longer than the time between weigh in and their match. and the science behind how much less power you have for every unit of water you lose during the dehydration process to make weight is staggering. 

Hankmoody said:
Right up until the unnecessary condescencion at the end.  This place needs a lot less of that and a lot more of the first 95% of that post.
A little condescension perhaps, but when I read it the first time I took it literally; as if the prevailing opinion 30 years ago had evolved over time.   Certainly not the "over the top" shtick you could find around here...

Interestingly, a year ago, the raging Aaron Jones debate was his weight gain.  It was rumored he had worked on his leg strength.  The FBG scientists debated, with great vigor, exactly how much weight an athlete could gain in 3-4 months.

Now, it is his weight loss and the impact (if any) on his conditioning.

Can't make this stuff up.

Interestingly, a year ago, the raging Aaron Jones debate was his weight gain.  It was rumored he had worked on his leg strength.  The FBG scientists debated, with great vigor, exactly how much weight an athlete could gain in 3-4 months.

Everyone's bored and over analyzing. At the end of the day he's a player or hes not. I got an offer I couldnt refuse so I sold. 

I al slightly concerned about 2 years, 2 knee injuries. Makes me wonder if GB takes a RB in this next loaded draft class regardless what Jones does. most teams seem to want a committee of some kind, and even the coach said Jones is best in a RBBC. It's very possible he is the COP back to a better RB than Williams next season. I have to think I sold high...

Zyphros said:
Food intake is part of it for sure, but if you don’t increase capacity in the lungs then the conditioning isn’t there.  Again you can be fit and healthy and have plenty of energy from the food you eat, and still not able to run very long.  

I doubt it’s much of an issue and like someone said already, cutting candy and soda can only help.  But cutting those things has very little impact on his conditioning.  

Thatll be a reflection of his training, more than his diet.  
Lung capacity is just one of many factors that makes up conditioning or endurance as it pertains to an NFL running back.  Another factor is the efficiency in which your muscle cells can produce and utilize energy, while also ridding itself of the metabolic byproducts (lactic acid.)  This is effected by quality of nutrition.  Cutting out processed sugar from the diet CAN have a positive impact on overall performance in general, and endurance specifically.    

Lung capacity is just one of many factors that makes up conditioning or endurance as it pertains to an NFL running back.  Another factor is the efficiency in which your muscle cells can produce and utilize energy, while also ridding itself of the metabolic byproducts (lactic acid.)  This is effected by quality of nutrition.  Cutting out processed sugar from the diet CAN have a positive impact on overall performance in general, and endurance specifically.    
Yes, the counter point is a confusing one for me. Why do weight lifters consume protein rather than starbursts? 

Consuming candy and processed sugars may ultimately make you real sluggish. The right energy just isnt there 

Everyone's bored and over analyzing. At the end of the day he's a player or hes not. I got an offer I couldnt refuse so I sold. 

I al slightly concerned about 2 years, 2 knee injuries. Makes me wonder if GB takes a RB in this next loaded draft class regardless what Jones does. most teams seem to want a committee of some kind, and even the coach said Jones is best in a RBBC. It's very possible he is the COP back to a better RB than Williams next season. I have to think I sold high...
You WANT to think you sold high.  I really like Jones in that offense.  RBs are hard to come by in dynasty formats, especially if you rarely get a high first round pick.  Although I own Jones and Damien Williams, neither is penciled into my starting lineup.  Team has good depth right now but that can disappear in a hurry.  I would move one of them for the right deal. Unfortunately, my league tends to be dormant until the season approaches.

When you see a thread pop up on one of your guys, you're just happy to hear there is no bad news.

You WANT to think you sold high.  I really like Jones in that offense.  RBs are hard to come by in dynasty formats, especially if you rarely get a high first round pick.  Although I own Jones and Damien Williams, neither is penciled into my starting lineup.  Team has good depth right now but that can disappear in a hurry.  I would move one of them for the right deal. Unfortunately, my league tends to be dormant until the season approaches.

When you see a thread pop up on one of your guys, you're just happy to hear there is no bad news.
Sure, I want think I sold high... Jacobs, Harry, Jones, 2020 late 1st for Mixon, Diggs, 2020 mid 2nd (I still have 3 other 2020 1sts: one likely 1.1, one 3-5, and mine which I expect bottom 4)

Unless Jones is a top 10 RB in 2019 I dont think I can get that same deal. 

I like Jones. Hes a big home run hitter. I have a hard time liking his ability to stay healthy. His knee injuries were minor in general but I think its rooted in a major issue elsewhere that'll lead to more problems. I also dont think any of the RBs on the roster fit with what Lafleur wants to do... but Lafleur has basically had his knees cut out from under him from the get go; that franchise is completely dysfunctional IMO. 

Regardless if I'm right or wrong, it's a make or break season for Jones. 

A little condescension perhaps, but when I read it the first time I took it literally; as if the prevailing opinion 30 years ago had evolved over time.   Certainly not the "over the top" shtick you could find around here...

Yep.

As I have said players weights fluctuate all the time. Aaron Jones is as good an example as any.

Weight is a moving target as far as metrics go.

This might be the year he makes it onto my fantasy teams. Every time I watch a Green Bay game, seems like this guy is going going off for 100 yard and a score.

Haven't done any mocks yet but this guy has Marlon Mack upside for a cheaper price. An excellent RB2 to grab after stocking up on some WR.

Haven't done any mocks yet but this guy has Marlon Mack upside for a cheaper price. An excellent RB2 to grab after stocking up on some WR.
I agree, redraft he represents decent value

The problem is most people realize this. I stand by him being a sell in dynasty between now and the first quarter of the season. I think even if he does well, this is the biggest volume he will see after this season. 

I'd rather have Jones than Mack.
I actually have both on my dynasty team, and I struggle with who I value more honestly. Pretty much the same age and they’re both on good offenses. If I had to say right now, I believe I’d agree with you and say Jones, but it’s really close. The tiebreaker may be I think Jones will catch more balls. 

I actually have both on my dynasty team, and I struggle with who I value more honestly. Pretty much the same age and they’re both on good offenses. If I had to say right now, I believe I’d agree with you and say Jones, but it’s really close. The tiebreaker may be I think Jones will catch more balls. 
I think Jones is just a more talented player than Mack, he creates more on his own. I also think mack has much more competition for touches than Jones does. Despite McCarthy's(I assume) tendencies, Jamaal Williams is nowhere near the player Jones was, and I think a new coach will instantly see that. I don't see Dexter Williams as a threat either. Jones only weakness is durability, which is a pretty big weakness.

In Mack's case, I'm not sure he's much better than the other Colts RB's. He had some nice games for sure, but they also came after Hilton and the o-line got healthy. It wouldn't surprise me if Hines/Wilkins got more work in year 2, or if Ware took GL carries. 

I also agree that Jones is a much better pass catcher, and Green Bay doesn't have near the amount of guys getting passing game targets as Indy does. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think I have Jones a full tier ahead of Mack.

Dr. Dan said:
I agree, redraft he represents decent value

The problem is most people realize this. I stand by him being a sell in dynasty between now and the first quarter of the season. I think even if he does well, this is the biggest volume he will see after this season. 
That doesn't make much sense. If he does well with the feature back role, he'll see less volume next season?

I like this site because it gives you visual of the player's athletic measurables, and also provides comparisons based only on the athletic profile.  Jones' top comp athletically is...Alvin Kamara.  Playing in an offense that is potentially just as lethal as New Orleans', the potential is there for a monster season. 

That doesn't make much sense. If he does well with the feature back role, he'll see less volume next season?
Yes. Just because you're the best RB on the 2019 team doesnt mean you'll be the beat RB on the 2020 team. 

Walter football has 8 RBs predicted rounds 1-3 right now. Of course mocks mean nothing, but it does show there is some big potential in 2020 at rb. I expect some underclassmen to stay in school to increase their value 2021. So let's say 5 RBs round 1-3. 

Are there 5 teams who need a starter at RB? Mia maybe, Hou if foreman is garbage, KC maybe but probably not, TB only if Jones flops again, Atl maybe. I'd add GB to the maybe column, especially if Jones gets hurt a 3rd year in a row. My point is, there are probably more highly graded RBs than teams who have glaring vacancies at RB. So when you have a guy who has shown he cannot handle a heavy workload without hurting his knee, chances are that team may draft a RB. 

If Jones stays healthy and has a pro bowl season then maybe they dont, but I'd be surprised since the coach has come out and said Jones is better in a RBBC, and Williams is a bum

Yes. Just because you're the best RB on the 2019 team doesnt mean you'll be the beat RB on the 2020 team. 

Walter football has 8 RBs predicted rounds 1-3 right now. Of course mocks mean nothing, but it does show there is some big potential in 2020 at rb. I expect some underclassmen to stay in school to increase their value 2021. So let's say 5 RBs round 1-3. 

Are there 5 teams who need a starter at RB? Mia maybe, Hou if foreman is garbage, KC maybe but probably not, TB only if Jones flops again, Atl maybe. I'd add GB to the maybe column, especially if Jones gets hurt a 3rd year in a row. My point is, there are probably more highly graded RBs than teams who have glaring vacancies at RB. So when you have a guy who has shown he cannot handle a heavy workload without hurting his knee, chances are that team may draft a RB. 

If Jones stays healthy and has a pro bowl season then maybe they dont, but I'd be surprised since the coach has come out and said Jones is better in a RBBC, and Williams is a bum
Seems like a stretch in logic. If he has a great season I don’t see GB spending an early pick at RB. It’s no lock he has a great season but I was responding to your premise where he’s a sell high of he does.

Seems like a stretch in logic. If he has a great season I don’t see GB spending an early pick at RB. It’s no lock he has a great season but I was responding to your premise where he’s a sell high of he does.
I guess it depends on the definition of a good season. if he has a top 10 season, sure, I can see that (them not using a high pick on a RB). if he puts in another average year like last year (RB16 in fp/g, RB21 in total points), then I could see GB moving on

ETA: Jones had comparable success to Mack last season, yet people had half expected Indy to be in the RB market. I'm surprised more people dont see Jones in a similar scenario

Jones has a pretty wide range of outcomes...wouldn't be surprised if he finished as a top 10 RB and wouldn't be surprised if he's a total bust at his current ADP.

This is promising.  I think Jones steps up into every-week RB1 territory this season.  Talent and situation are both looking pretty friggin strong...

Packers coach Matt LaFleur wants the running backs more involved in the passing game.

Green Bay's backfield finished 24th in total receptions last season, and the unit's 17 percent target share was well below league average. It sounds like they will rank a bit better in those numbers under the new coaching staff. "I love it when we can give [running backs] the ball in the passing game," LaFleur said. "That's one more eligible that the defense really has to focus on." Aaron Jones took a step forward in the passing game last year, and it appears likely he will see even more opportunities moving forward.

SOURCE: Packers.com

Jun 27, 2019, 10:32 AM ET

This is promising.  I think Jones steps up into every-week RB1 territory this season.  Talent and situation are both looking pretty friggin strong...

Packers coach Matt LaFleur wants the running backs more involved in the passing game.

Green Bay's backfield finished 24th in total receptions last season, and the unit's 17 percent target share was well below league average. It sounds like they will rank a bit better in those numbers under the new coaching staff. "I love it when we can give [running backs] the ball in the passing game," LaFleur said. "That's one more eligible that the defense really has to focus on." Aaron Jones took a step forward in the passing game last year, and it appears likely he will see even more opportunities moving forward.

Agreed. If he can just stay healthy, I think the sky is the limit for him. You sprinkle in 50 or so receptions for him on top of his extraordinarily efficient running, he can have a special season. 

There's no Aaron Rodgers glory in throwing dump-offs to RBs.  It would be great if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it.

tkrull said:
There's no Aaron Rodgers glory in throwing dump-offs to RBs.  It would be great if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it.
This. Rodgers hates checking down. 50 catches would be a miracle.

I'd rather have Jones than Mack.
I have been looking at these two and Freeman and I have Jones significantly higher than the other two. I think with LaFleur in town he is gonna ride Jones a lot more than they did last year. He has been falling to round 5 in mocks and I think that’s just crazy. I see an easy top 15 finish for him. I’ll be pulling the trigger in round 4 everywhere I can. 

I have been looking at these two and Freeman and I have Jones significantly higher than the other two. I think with LaFleur in town he is gonna ride Jones a lot more than they did last year. He has been falling to round 5 in mocks and I think that’s just crazy. I see an easy top 15 finish for him. I’ll be pulling the trigger in round 4 everywhere I can. 
The only real knock on Jones is his lack of durability, which Freeman shares. Barring injury though, I think Jones has both a higher floor an ceiling than Freeman or Mack. 

I really don't get the Mack hype. I worry a ton about him falling into a RBBC. He could easily be this year's Kenyan Drake, where people overvalued a hot finish.

Maybe Jones will break a couple long ones. Maybe they can design for him like McCarthy maybe couldn't. IDK but you're right Rodgers doesn't like to dump off.

Why? I just have some weird dislike for Jones and am trying to get over it. 
I am exactly the opposite.  I am trying hard to dislike him, so I don't overvalue him.  I think my love for Jones has something to do with my dislike for Jamaal.

I am exactly the opposite.  I am trying hard to dislike him, so I don't overvalue him.  I think my love for Jones has something to do with my dislike for Jamaal.
I agree Jamaal is a dud. Aaron certainly has performed well when given the opportunity. I just have some aversion to him and I can't put my finger on it. 

I like Jones, but like Mack I am not sure I see long term upside. There is a possibility both are drafted over, although both received votes of confidence when their teams passed in the draft and FA. 

I agree Jamaal is a dud. Aaron certainly has performed well when given the opportunity. I just have some aversion to him and I can't put my finger on it. 
I'm a little soured due to how badly LaFluer screwed up the backfield in TEN, his comments that Jones is better in RBBC, and the fact that Jones cant stay healthy

I'm a little soured due to how badly LaFluer screwed up the backfield in TEN, his comments that Jones is better in RBBC, and the fact that Jones cant stay healthy
Yeah all of the above plus the foregoing discussion about Rogers never throwing to RBs. He could very well put together a great season but so much has to fall into place. I also wouldn’t be surprised by Dexter Williams cutting in a bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread