What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (5 Viewers)

Seriously comparing garbage like Jones to Kamara and Mccaffrey? 

You hate hate to see it.... lmao newb
packer junkie has been around longer than you, and I recognize his handle versus I've never heard of you... (in reference to the childish "newb" label)

furthermore, his comment was I  response to you saying Aaron Jones "not being built to last"

kamara: 5'10, 215

CMC: 5'10, 205

Ekeler: 5'10, 201

Jones: 5'10, 207

If Jones isnt built to last, then none of those guys are either

Hate to see it when people dont read the context of a post...

Jones' body type is certainly built to last as much as CMC. What raises alarm for me is his running style, as that can set him up to take an extra beating. His long term health is a concern for now. If he can stay healthy all season I think he makes a strong case for himself. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jones runs a lot different and less elusively when he finishes his runs than the other guys mentioned above.  Especially Kamara and CMC don't take hits like Jones does. 

Dr. Dan said:
packer junkie has been around longer than you, and I recognize his handle versus I've never heard of you... (in reference to the childish "newb" label)

furthermore, his comment was I  response to you saying Aaron Jones "not being built to last"

kamara: 5'10, 215

CMC: 5'10, 205

Ekeler: 5'10, 201

Jones: 5'10, 207

If Jones isnt built to last, then none of those guys are either

Hate to see it when people dont read the context of a post...

Jones' body type is certainly built to last as much as CMC. What raises alarm for me is his running style, as that can set him up to take an extra beating. His long term health is a concern for now. If he can stay healthy all season I think he makes a strong case for himself. 
Yeah right except Jones isn’t anywhere near the caliber you those 2. Also, those other 2 can actually last an entire season. I could care less how long he’s been, it sure as hell doesn’t mean he understands RB talent. Talent always wins and he’s  just a can.

Yeah right except Jones isn’t anywhere near the caliber you those 2. Also, those other 2 can actually last an entire season. I could care less how long he’s been, it sure as hell doesn’t mean he understands RB talent. Talent always wins and he’s  just a can.
We arent talking about his talent caliber.

You're the one that brought up his body size not being built to last, which was misguided at best 

and it's you couldnt care less... (pet peeve)

We arent talking about his talent caliber.

You're the one that brought up his body size not being built to last, which was misguided at best 

and it's you couldnt care less... (pet peeve)
Well you are the one who is misguided. There are very few at that size out of the dozens and dozens that will last. His injury history has proven that.  Deal with it

Is GB trying to prevent him from being a stud rb, ala Bell or Gordon, which could lead to a similar contract issue? 
I don't think Green Bay is splitting time between Jones and Williams just to limit Jones production and subsequent contract negotiations.

Teams want to win. They play the players they think give them the best chance to do that.

I think Williams is still better than Jones at pass protection as the main reason for the time share.

Newb makes no sense?

Not comparing their talent, comparing their stature.

Keep degrading people though-- seems to be working out really well for you. 
The stature? uhhh those guys break tackles, especially Kamara and always move the pile forward. He simply isn’t strong enough or durable enough to be a lead back. His 10 carries and 19 yds would normally bury teams that played him, bailed out by 2 tds. Outplayed by Jwill. 

The stature? uhhh those guys break tackles, especially Kamara and always move the pile forward. He simply isn’t strong enough or durable enough to be a lead back. His 10 carries and 19 yds would normally bury teams that played him, bailed out by 2 tds. Outplayed by Jwill. 
Said nobody, ever.

stature aside, the GB offense as a whole has been pretty mediocre, mid 20s in every statistical category and that's likely to continue. you can base the 2019 GB Packers offense on the 2018 Titans offense, minus the year-end surge by D. Henry. I don't think there's a lot to be excited about, and that includes Aaron Jones.

stature aside, the GB offense as a whole has been pretty mediocre, mid 20s in every statistical category and that's likely to continue. you can base the 2019 GB Packers offense on the 2018 Titans offense, minus the year-end surge by D. Henry. I don't think there's a lot to be excited about, and that includes Aaron Jones.
Maybe but Green Bay has played 2 of the best defenses in the NFL (Denver isn't too bad either). Green Bay's D has also limited 2 poor offenses. I am curious if things open up once they face better offenses and lesser defenses with Philly, Dallas, Oak, KC, LA and NYG coming up soon. 

Ilov80s said:
Maybe but Green Bay has played 2 of the best defenses in the NFL (Denver isn't too bad either). Green Bay's D has also limited 2 poor offenses. I am curious if things open up once they face better offenses and lesser defenses with Philly, Dallas, Oak, KC, LA and NYG coming up soon. 
Things will get better but would keep expectations in check.

hardcoredx said:
If you want to die on this hill- be my guest. I think my stance (hes pretty good, really explosive-- but not as good as Kamara/Mcaff & needs to prove he can stay on the field) is a lot closer to rational thinking than "hes trash- he sucks- he kills every team hes on" blah blah blah-- coming from you-- especially when hes 4th in the NFL in FF PPG last two years and top 3 in YPC each of the last 2 full NFL seasons. 
"

Ilov80s said:
Agreed they've had 3 tough matchups so far.  I'm not saying they'll become the Packers offense of the early 2010's but I definitely think they'll improve to a more than respectable level.

It sounds like they want to up JWill's carries and even things out. Is Williams worth a pickup to flex at this point? I could see GB continuing to move the ball, especially against some easier D's. 

Aaron Jones rushed 13 times for 21 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 4 loss to the Eagles, adding six receptions for 37 additional yards.

Jones started the game alongside Jamaal Williams, but Williams was knocked out on the first play from scrimmage by a savage helmet-to-helmet hit from Eagles DE Derek Barnett. With Dexter Williams a healthy scratch, Jones had the Packers' backfield to himself but had nowhere to go against the Eagles' stout front seven. That didn't stop coach Matt LaFleur from dialing up one fruitless first down run after another. Jones was used in uncreative fashion, rendering his volume empty. Jamaal's status is unclear for Week 5 against the Cowboys, but Dexter would step in as Jones' "1B" if Jamaal can't go. Jones will be a mid-range RB2.

I know there was more talk of Rodgers having more play calling authority, I wonder if the 4 straight pass plays from the 1 yard line was all him. 

Seemed like a lot of his carries care on 1st n 10. And they didn’t throw  to him really until the last drive

And obviously should have carried it some on the 6? pass plays from inside the ####### 3 yd line

Couldve had a real nice ff game 

Seemed like a lot of his carries care on 1st n 10. And they didn’t throw  to him really until the last drive

And obviously should have carried it some on the 6? pass plays from inside the ####### 3 yd line

This is classic Packers though, dating all the way back to the Favre era.  Maddening.

I watched the game last night and I didn't think Jones looked bad.  The playcalling was obvious and did nothing to put him in a position to succeed.  Once the playcalling opened up a bit towards the latter part of the game--Jones had some really nice plays.  Of course--when they got in position to score on a couple possessions on 1st and goal--they literally abandoned how well he was doing and tried to stick to a passing game that had its best receiving weapon on the sidelines in Adams.   

I know there was more talk of Rodgers having more play calling authority, I wonder if the 4 straight pass plays from the 1 yard line was all him. 
What was particularly distressing about this sequence was that earlier in the game, Jones TD run showed a great nose for the end zone when it looked like he’d been stopped short. 

What was particularly distressing about this sequence was that earlier in the game, Jones TD run showed a great nose for the end zone when it looked like he’d been stopped short. 
The week before, Jones did a nice stiff arm to get into the end zone from the 1. I think he's an above average short yardage RB.

What a game for this guy, crushing it for me. I just dealt for him but more as an added piece to a larger deal where the owner and I reasoned I was downgrading from Boyd to Aaron Jones...yikes. Haven't watched him a ton, didn't have an overall positive impression due to the injuries and the Packers poor offensive showings this year...this game is making me sit up and take notice. 

Holy ####. 4 TD's. 

Obviously this isn't a game you can ever expect.

But is he this good, when healthy? 
He got the goal line carries, which last week Lafleur was afraid to give to him for some reason. He also got a LOT of dump offs. Hes good, but he needs to be used the tight way (like today), and he needs to stay healthy. this is a good sign of things to come 

Holy ####. 4 TD's. 

Obviously this isn't a game you can ever expect.

But is he this good, when healthy? 
Been variable this year -- had over 100 against MIN but his stats weren't that hot in other games besides that and this one. He is used a lot in the receiving game, though, which definitely makes him that much more valuable and takes away variability in the run game.

Basically been a solid RB1/2 all year.

Aaron Jones erupted for 107 yards and four touchdowns on 19 carries while also racking up seven catches for a team-high 75 yards on eight targets Sunday in the Packers’ Week 5 win over the Cowboys.

Jones was an absolute behemoth Sunday, almost beating the Cowboys by himself. With Davante Adams (toe) and Jamaal Williams (concussion) both absent, Green Bay relied heavily on its third-year ball-carrier, who led the team in both rushing and receiving yards while becoming the first Packers back to rush for four touchdown since Dorsey Levens did it in 2000 (Jones was five at the time). Buoyed by Sunday's breakout at the hands of Dallas, Jones now leads the NFL with eight touchdowns, the same number he recorded all of last season. Even if Williams returns from his concussion in Week 6, Jones will still be employable as an RB1 when Green Bay hosts the division-rival Lions on Monday Night Football.
Remember, no Jamal Williams here to eat into his work.

Like everyone is saying this is what’s possible under ideal conditions, when he’s used the way he was yesterday. Williams coming back plus Adams eventually (I’m thinking of the dump offs there) probably will cut in like people are suggesting. I feel like we can all start drafting our “how are they giving Jamaal Williams this many carries?; Jones just had 4 TDS!” posts.

But I do think that this kind of breakout matters for the rest of the season and cements him more as a ff starter you can feel confident in. As @Stompin' Tom Connors said he’s quietly been pretty solid all season. 

Like everyone is saying this is what’s possible under ideal conditions, when he’s used the way he was yesterday. Williams coming back plus Adams eventually (I’m thinking of the dump offs there) probably will cut in like people are suggesting. I feel like we can all start drafting our “how are they giving Jamaal Williams this many carries?; Jones just had 4 TDS!” posts.

But I do think that this kind of breakout matters for the rest of the season and cements him more as a ff starter you can feel confident in. As @Stompin' Tom Connors said he’s quietly been pretty solid all season. 
Never underestimate the incompetence of coaches. Look how many snaps and touches Carson had despite being completely and totally inefficient. It’s cool if he’s seeing 20-25 touches while getting a 60% snap share... that wasn’t happening with Williams around for god knows what reason. 

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
That isn't really something to laugh at considering JWill got hurt taking carries as the starter on the first drive of the game. 

Jones owners taking victory laps over the doubters shouldn't forgot they he basically was not even starting before Williams was injured. People were not wrong to be concerned.  The coaching staff obviously was and maybe still is. 

Users who are viewing this thread