What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (3 Viewers)

Agreed.  I think it's another week of Jamaal.  Per Rob Demovsky, "Sounds like it might be another week for RB Aaron Jones (calf).  Coach Matt LaFleur said holding him out last week "definitely helped him but he's got to continue to improve and get better each day."  LaFleur said they won't risk losing him long term so "we'll be smart with him.""
If the guy is healthy to play, which he most likely will be, I have to imagine he’s going to lobby hard to be active. How do you go from a GTD decision one week, to not even suiting up the following week 🤦‍♂️ I understand the logic with the upcoming schedule, but if he’s good to go, there is no reason he shouldn’t be given the green light by the medical staff. This is a minor calf strain, not a pulled hammy or knee sprain. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If the guy is healthy to play, which he most likely will be, I have to imagine he’s going to lobby hard to be active. How do you go from a GTD decision one week, to not even suiting up the following week 🤦‍♂️ I understand the logic with the upcoming schedule, but if he’s good to go, there is no reason he shouldn’t be given the green light by the medical staff. This is a minor calf strain, not a pulled hammy or knee sprain. 
Davante lobbied pretty hard to be active, too.  Team doctors didn't care.  He was GTD a couple weeks in a row, IIRC.

ETA:  Doesn't take much for a minor calf strain to develop into a major calf strain or even an Achilles issue.

Devante lobbied pretty hard to be active, too.  Team doctors didn't care.  He was GTD a couple weeks in a row, IIRC.
I didn’t know he was a GTD a few weeks in a row. Okay, that pretty much means we all need to plan accordingly. I’m going to act as if he’s definitely not suiting up this week. 

I didn’t know he was a GTD a few weeks in a row. Okay, that pretty much means we all need to plan accordingly. I’m going to act as if he’s definitely not suiting up this week. 
That's what I'd do.  Plan for the worst (assuming you've got Jones), and hope for the best.  But I highly doubt he plays.

Ugh this is so ugly. I may actually be forced to start Brian Hill tonight. I think I'd almost rather take a zero from Jones just in the chance he suits up.

I have Carson and Jones. I’ll be rolling with Gordon and Dobbins. ...could be worse I guess. 
I traded Gordon immediately after the DUI for Keenan Allen thinking I was solid at RB... if Jones doesn't go I get the luxury of picking two from Homer, Hasty, and Moss 🤮

So Jones is officially out this week. While I do believe there could be some, "its just the Vikings" to this, the fact that he didn't practice at all this week, makes me a little nervous that this is a much bigger injury than first assumed, and that Jones being ready for SF on Thursday is 50-50.

So Jones is officially out this week. While I do believe there could be some, "its just the Vikings" to this, the fact that he didn't practice at all this week, makes me a little nervous that this is a much bigger injury than first assumed, and that Jones being ready for SF on Thursday is 50-50.
Yeah...I don't like the DNP for him.  Hoping still its...hey, get that rest for the Thursday night game...then he gets a little extra rest after it.

The Packers are pessimistic about Aaron Jones (calf) playing Thursday against the 49ers. 

With Jones limited at Monday's practice and Jamaal Williams and AJ Dillon out for Week 9 -- Williams had close contact with Dillon, who has COVID-19 -- Green Bay could turn to Tyler Ervin and practice squad RB Dexter Williams this week against the Niners. Ervin has 10 touches this season and Dexter Williams played in four games for the Packers in 2019, logging five rushing attempts. Ervin, a kick returner who has practiced with Green Bay wideouts this year, could figure to be the main pass catcher out of the backfield while Dexter Williams -- a 2019 sixth rounder out of Notre Dame -- could have an early-down role if he's activated for Week 9. Ervin and Dexter Williams should be picked up in most formats this week. 

RELATED: 

Dexter Williams

, Tyler Ervin

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 3, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

What do you make of this?

First @Robdemovsky tweets..

Rob Demovsky @Robdemovsky

If Aaron Jones (calf) is out, what will the Packers do? Tyler Ervin isn’t a traditional RB but they could use a short pass game w/him to act as runs. Dexter Williams has given them no reason to trust him. And who’s going to handle third-down/pass pro? DW allowed the blocked punt.

then @Stephania_ESPN says...

Stephania Bell @Stephania_ESPN 

Rob, I can’t wait to hear your updates later today and tomorrow to get the answer to this question. 😬

Or, better yet, the update is the Packers are feeling confident about Jones’ status.

Aaron Jones (calf) was limited for Tuesday's walk-through. 

The Packers are reportedly "pessimistic" Jones will be ready for Thursday night's game against the 49ers. With A.J. Dillon and Jamaal Williams on the COVID-19 list, that leaves return man Tyler Ervin and practice-squadder Dexter Williams to lead the Packers' backfield if Jones can't go. Williams would likely be the lead early-down back, making him the preferred fantasy flier/plug-and-play FLEX, though Ervin will also offer some low-end FLEX viability. 

RELATED: 

Tyler Ervin

, Dexter Williams

SOURCE: Matt Schneidman on Twitter 

Nov 3, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

I did not attempt to pick up either of the two GB RB's. It is going to be Aaron- Jones if he is active or all passing with Rodgers if Jones is not active.

I did not attempt to pick up either of the two GB RB's. It is going to be Aaron- Jones if he is active or all passing with Rodgers if Jones is not active.
you missed the worst case.... aaron jones is active.... but he is only active for emergency only and doesnt see the field and it isnt reported before kickoff that way.

How in the F is this continuing on. It was supposed to be a very mild tweak and he was a gametime decision two days after it happened. Now he might miss the third week! WTF

have quite a few shares of AJ, some handcuffed, some not...

i thought holding him out vs Min was because GB felt like they could win without him at home, and wanted him 100% healthy (which nobody really is week 9).

this game is pretty much a must win game for GB to right the ship, and even though SF is very dinged, they can still run the ball and play keep away against a poor GB Def, so i think AJ will play and I will start with confidence

Wrigley said:
He said he might play a few weeks ago 

wtf
I’m as frustrated as you guys, but although it seems like he’s been out for a long time,  the injury happened just 14 days ago. If he was to play, there is a high likelihood he reinjures it and is on the shelf for 4-6 weeks. I’d love to have him in my lineup too, but the smart move is to let him come back in week 10. He will get another 10 days to rehab and rest the calf, putting him in a position to be fully healthy for the stretch run 

That is a guess by someone who doesn’t know.  If the careful Packers medical staff clears Jones, it’s game on. 

My opinion is that its an Achilles and thats the reason for the long layoff for him. 
Highly doubtful. Even mild calf strains can take a few weeks to heal, and there is a high rate of rein jury if players come back too soon. He's only been out for 14 days--it seems longer, but it's only been 2 weeks. Like many of you, I need his production, but think the smart move is to keep him out tonight and give him another 10 days of rest.  

Highly doubtful. Even mild calf strains can take a few weeks to heal, and there is a high rate of rein jury if players come back too soon. He's only been out for 14 days--it seems longer, but it's only been 2 weeks. Like many of you, I need his production, but think the smart move is to keep him out tonight and give him another 10 days of rest.  
I really hope Jones sits again. I just don't see the point in rushing him, he's obviously not 100% or he'd have practiced all week. This is a little like the CMC situation, where many expected him back last Thursday, and Carolina made the right call(even though it may have cost them the game) and kept him out.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

40m

The #Packers are now hopeful that star RB Aaron Jones (calf) plays tonight vs #49ers, though it may end up being a limited role, sources say, which

@MikeGarafolo

alluded to earlier. He’ll warmup early and test it. If he’s 100% with no chance of reinjury, he plays

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

40m

The #Packers are now hopeful that star RB Aaron Jones (calf) plays tonight vs #49ers, though it may end up being a limited role, sources say, which

@MikeGarafolo

alluded to earlier. He’ll warmup early and test it. If he’s 100% with no chance of reinjury, he plays
I’m guessing we will know by 6-6:30

The Green Bay Press-Gazette confirms Aaron Jones (calf) is expected to be active for Thursday night's game against the 49ers, but that "doesn’t mean he’ll have a full-time role."

Per beat writer Ryan Wood, the Packers will "monitor Jones' calf strain closely," and they are planning to "complement him with Tyler Ervin and Dexter Williams as needed." Reading between the lines, it sounds like Jones probably would not be playing this week were Jamaal Williams and AJ Dillon not on the COVID-19 list. Fantasy managers should maybe plan on something in the neighborhood of 10-12 touches and then hope for more. Even on an uncertain workload, Jones can still be fired up as an upside RB2 because of his game-breaking ability and likely goal-line involvement. 

RELATED: 

Tyler Ervin

, Dexter Williams

SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter 

Nov 5, 2020, 5:22 PM ET

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

40m

@MikeGarafolo

Sometimes these reports make me scratch my head.  If there's no chance of reinjury, why would he be limited?

I need a new hobby 😁

Hopefully there's some clarity, I'll be very nervous to start him in a game that could turn into a blowout very quickly.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette confirms Aaron Jones (calf) is expected to be active for Thursday night's game against the 49ers, but that "doesn’t mean he’ll have a full-time role."

Per beat writer Ryan Wood, the Packers will "monitor Jones' calf strain closely," and they are planning to "complement him with Tyler Ervin and Dexter Williams as needed." Reading between the lines, it sounds like Jones probably would not be playing this week were Jamaal Williams and AJ Dillon not on the COVID-19 list. Fantasy managers should maybe plan on something in the neighborhood of 10-12 touches and then hope for more. Even on an uncertain workload, Jones can still be fired up as an upside RB2 because of his game-breaking ability and likely goal-line involvement. 

RELATED: 

Tyler Ervin

, Dexter Williams

SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter 

Nov 5, 2020, 5:22 PM ET
https://twitter.com/byryanwood/status/1324472936653299720?s=21

Have to choose between him or Hasty.....  I hate the ambiguity but I also think there’s no way the Green Bay medical team would let him out there if he wasn’t fully healthy

Have to choose between him or Hasty.....  I hate the ambiguity but I also think there’s no way the Green Bay medical team would let him out there if he wasn’t fully healthy
Given the 49ers have run out of humans for this game, this seems like a game the Packers should dominate with or without Jones.  If he goes, I would have to agree he must be awfully close to 100%.

Given the 49ers have run out of humans for this game, this seems like a game the Packers should dominate with or without Jones.  If he goes, I would have to agree he must be awfully close to 100%.
For sure.  That’s my problem is Hasty too though, 49ers just called up three practice squad wide receivers to play today. Got to assume Green Bay is going to sell out on the run even as bad as they are at stopping it. 

So, it comes down to which you can live with? Play him and he's in for two plays or sit him and he scores twice?

I'm playing him if active, which looks likely.

And you guys with Hasty should play him. I picked up McKinnnon in case Jones sits, but have so many injuries+byes that I'm probably playing him regardless...so big night for Hasty.

Users who are viewing this thread