What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Backyard Basketball Court (1 Viewer)

I looked at something similar a few years ago and opted to go with concrete because the cost was like three times as much.  

I looked at something similar a few years ago and opted to go with concrete because the cost was like three times as much.  
I was gonna do concrete but cost wasn't incrementally more and they don't install the hoop.  I'm a moron when it comes to any type of manual labor, so I need to rely on experienced folks.  I would love to do just concrete but the quotes weren't low enough to make it a no brainer.

I poured concrete, well I paid someone to do it. I finished the original attached  garage to add  to the house. Built a detached garage from a kit (paid someone). Poured concrete in the space between for more parking and mounted a hoop on the garage (25x50').

I'm also doing permeable concrete if I'm even saying that right.  It's to allow rain water to filter back down through the ground instead of collecting on the slab and/or pitching it toward my house or sidewalk.  I'm definitely going the high-end route but I'd rather have it done right at this point. If I had ANY skills, I'd attempt this myself but I don't.

I was gonna do concrete but cost wasn't incrementally more and they don't install the hoop.  I'm a moron when it comes to any type of manual labor, so I need to rely on experienced folks.  I would love to do just concrete but the quotes weren't low enough to make it a no brainer.
The guy that sold me the hoop installed it, painted the key and three point line, and referred me to a concrete guy who poured the concrete.  I wouldn't have been able to do it myself either.

I'd get the tennis/bball option.  That looks nice.   Make sure to put up some nice lights.   Maybe a sound system as well. 

Would love to.  I have a pool I want to take out and would love to put something like this in its place.  I feel like with the expense of removing the pool, this just isn't an option though.

I put a basketball court in my backyard a few years ago but went with straight concrete.  Cost on the versacourt was much higher plus I have 2 large dogs that I thought could do some damage to it in no time.  kids have had a scraped knee here and there but that's part of growing up.  walk it off and get back in the game, kid

Rhythmdoctor said:
My yard ain't that big. My court is gonna be 23x28
Well you're going to need to get a bigger yard.  23x28 just ain't gonna cut it.  I have a lot of great ideas, but you need to get me the space to work with.

UCLA has a bunch of these type of plastic surface courts. It feels very weird at first but the ball bounces naturally and you pretty much never have to worry about the grip/tread of shoes. It's not my favorite, but in some ways it's better than concrete/black top.

I kick around the idea of getting a tennis court in the backyard from time to time since my stupid county doesn't do a great job at tennis court upkeep.  But it would take up most of the wiffleball field.  Perhaps one day.

$13k all in. Includes permeable concrete, hoop ($2k), top poly tiles, containment fence, delivey, labor, tax. 
Less than I was guessing.  I'd love one of these, and might try to slide it in with the pool next summer and hope the wife doesn't notice until too late.  

I also had to spend an additional $1,800 to move ny electrical service line. It's coming right into the middle of my house which impedes on the court and my Steph Curry-like high arc jump shot. Service line work started today. Court will be installed by Memorial Day weekend at the latest. 

I also had to spend an additional $1,800 to move ny electrical service line. It's coming right into the middle of my house which impedes on the court and my Steph Curry-like high arc jump shot. Service line work started today. Court will be installed by Memorial Day weekend at the latest. 
Sounds pretty awesome. Post some pics if you get the chance. Would like to see the finished product.

Do you mind posting :pics:  after it's all finished?

Will definitely post pictures when it's done! 

Regarding the size being too small. If I had a bigger yard, I'd definitely go bigger. Yards here in Chicago are notoriously small and my backyard is considered 'big'. Can only work with the space that's available! 

The tiles have a 15 year warranty as well so I should be set for a long time. 

I'm surprised nobody else has done this. I was hoping to get some advice on the pros/cons. I guess I'm the Footballguys guinea pig for this. 

Rhythmdoctor said:
I'm surprised nobody else has done this. I was hoping to get some advice on the pros/cons. I guess I'm the Footballguys guinea pig for this. 
Like I said I looked into it but for my half court I was being quoted around $16-18k.  I opted for cement and total cost with the hoop was around $6k.  I am very happy with our set up and am outside playing basketball with my 11 year old son almost every evening.   I am sure you will love it!

Like I said I looked into it but for my half court I was being quoted around $16-18k.  I opted for cement and total cost with the hoop was around $6k.  I am very happy with our set up and am outside playing basketball with my 11 year old son almost every evening.   I am sure you will love it!
Definitely looking forward to it 

I had a neighbor that had a court done by sports court when I was a kid, it looked very similar to that.  I fell while playing on it once, and I left a lot of skin on that court.  I think concrete would've been better to fall on.

13 G's for a sport court?

Wow... I'm Shuked.

My advice is to pass all day.

Factoring in any re-sale value is backwards thinking.
I'm not making any decisions based on re-sale value.  I'm getting this thing installed for my own personal satisfaction and I don't mind paying a couple grand more for a more aesthetically pleasing, professional looking court. 

Will definitely post pictures when it's done! 

Regarding the size being too small. If I had a bigger yard, I'd definitely go bigger. Yards here in Chicago are notoriously small and my backyard is considered 'big'. Can only work with the space that's available! 

The tiles have a 15 year warranty as well so I should be set for a long time. 
Just build into the neighbors yards while they're at work.   They don't know it yet, but they'll love having a local place to play bball and tennis.   

Users who are viewing this thread