What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 SSL3 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

At 9:30 pm we can skip Mr. Ir.  I had the clock set wrong and had to revert the draft so I'm not sure what will happen at 9:30.  May need to give him a dummy pick.

Hey bass,,,wanna swap me your 3 hole spot for my 12 hole spot.....Igot the 12 hole in SSL2 and am going to be staring at pretty much the same group of guys in both drafts....you ended up in the top 3 in a couple of yours....

You know I can take a team instead of you having two here bass. Just message me if you want me to take another team. 

For some reason I can't link my account to my team. Keeps saying my team is linked to HitnRun even after I changed info on team as commish. 

bro1ncos said:
For some reason I can't link my account to my team. Keeps saying my team is linked to HitnRun even after I changed info on team as commish. 
Go into commish-setup-remove owners and take hit and run out of league and you will be good to go. 

I would do it but cant get in as commish since now linked

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I missed the starting gun here fellas ... crazy day at work followed by an evening school concert with the kiddos. Best of luck to @bro1ncos in my place and I'll clean out my PM inbox so you can ping me if you need me to jump back in.

Damn. Was sure I pre drafted. 

Trying new new strategy of RB first over RBBC in this league. See how it works. Reached on Fournette but he is who I liked the best. Almost took Gronk but injury concern slowed me down there. Plus like Te on 3-4 turn that can be had over the RB

Damn. Was sure I pre drafted. 

Trying new new strategy of RB first over RBBC in this league. See how it works. Reached on Fournette but he is who I liked the best. Almost took Gronk but injury concern slowed me down there. Plus like Te on 3-4 turn that can be had over the RB
I took Gronk early in s1 and almost pulled the trigger again here. He's easily worth a late 1st but I wanted to see where he'd fall.

I took Gronk early in s1 and almost pulled the trigger again here. He's easily worth a late 1st but I wanted to see where he'd fall.
I'm a little gun shy on Gronk moving forward and not sure he is a slam dunk 1st rounder anymore in these or other leagues (even with the 2 PPR TE thing). Lots of offensive talent in NE and they don't seem to miss him a tremendous amount when he is not there.  Not sure he will dominate their offensive game plan enough week in and week out to justify a first round pick.  I'm just not sure he he will continue to separate himself enough from the rest of the TE pack to make him the "no brainer" TE1 anymore. TE is pretty deep this year. NE has a ton of pass catchers out of the backfield, Edelman, and Cooks, and also another solid TE in Allen. The injury history is very alarming as well. I guess that is my long way of saying, I am easily ok with passing on Gronk in the first and darn near the whole second and letting somebody else take him.  I'm not confident that he is going to produce the advantage at TE that he once gave his owners.

The only reason Hyde fell to 4.02 is I have him in every single league I'm in right now, until this one. He seems severely undervalued. 

I'm liking this start better than S1.

Gurley, Todd LAR RB      8    2.01
Bryant, Dez DAL WR    6    1.16
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR    8    3.16
Tate, Golden DET WR    7    4.01

If Gurley can perform to his talent, this is a core I can live with.  Might have have that "excitement" factor.

1.11     Jordy Nelson  (All the top RB's had been taken, so went ahead and grabbed a top WR)

2.06     Andrew Luck (Probably could have waited, but satisfied)

3.11     Marshawn Lynch (Kind of a why-not pick, but a lot of the other RB's either had questions or lower upside. Just my :2cents: )

4.06     Martellus Bennett (Wanted to settle the TE position early and not miss out)

1.11     Jordy Nelson  (All the top RB's had been taken, so went ahead and grabbed a top WR)

3.11     Marshawn Lynch (Kind of a why-not pick, but a lot of the other RB's either had questions or lower upside. Just my :2cents: )

4.06     Martellus Bennett (Wanted to settle the TE position early and not miss out)
Fwiw I would have taken lynch 3.16 had he fallen. 

The only reason Hyde fell to 4.02 is I have him in every single league I'm in right now, until this one. He seems severely undervalued. 

I'm liking this start better than S1.

Gurley, Todd LAR RB      8    2.01
Bryant, Dez DAL WR    6    1.16
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR    8    3.16
Tate, Golden DET WR    7    4.01

If Gurley can perform to his talent, this is a core I can live with.  Might have have that "excitement" factor.
Did something here I never have before by taking QB back to back with Ben and Winston.  I think both will have nice years with a few big games - just hope they time them right.  

I am getting crushed...plain and simple.  Cooks at 1.15...with Edelman and Gronk on the roster??  Wake up, man!!

I am getting crushed...plain and simple.  Cooks at 1.15...with Edelman and Gronk on the roster??  Wake up, man!!
Fwiw, I really like cooks.  Maybe not 1.15 level like but I went after him in a recent auction dyno (got him for the same price Leonard Fournette went and a little less than Michael thomas)

Did something here I never have before by taking QB back to back with Ben and Winston.  I think both will have nice years with a few big games - just hope they time them right.  
I was going Big Ben and Rivers but they had same week. Took Newton and than whoever of Ben or Rivers that dropped. After QB 20, I really start not like mant and why I did what you did also. 

Crippler said:
I was going Big Ben and Rivers but they had same week. Took Newton and than whoever of Ben or Rivers that dropped. After QB 20, I really start not like mant and why I did what you did also. 
Almost was regretting going QB as my 7th round pick was approaching but you guys left me feeling good about it just before my pick. Was the correct move to not get left out. I think 2 QB you can rely on is imperative but I am sure those who dive into numbers will be able to dispute from past champions. 

Almost was regretting going QB as my 7th round pick was approaching but you guys left me feeling good about it just before my pick. Was the correct move to not get left out. I think 2 QB you can rely on is imperative but I am sure those who dive into numbers will be able to dispute from past champions. 
Don't have the numbers in front of me but from what I recall, adding a high-end QB2 gets you about 5ppg on average over a spot starter (or a QB2 who loses a camp battle). It's an even bigger delta if you pair him with a low-end QB1.

I suspect that grabbing a QB2 very early is better than waiting until the very end and hoping you get lucky, which in turn is better than drafting a JAG in the QB26-30 range, but that's pretty much just a hunch.

I feel like I've lost my touch, or at least my confidence in knowing which players I like.  Just not liking either S1 or S3 teams right now.  More confident in 3, but neither light me up. 

Makeup pick for 13th round: Vikings DEF. Not sure how to do it in the MFL system.

Sorry about missing the pick. Didn't realize how much time you can lose going to a Jimmy Buffet concert.

5.11     Jared Cook (Decided to get a quality backup before the field emptied. Probably cost myself some good picks at other positions, though.)

6.06     Samaje Perine (Total upside pick here. Hoping he vultures some TD's because I doubt that, as a Rookie, he's a 3-Down back.)

7.11     Jeremy Maclin (Yes, he's aging, but still a proven pass catcher in a conservative offense.)

8.06     Blake Bortles (Should he be able to turn it around, the returns from an 8th-round QB with all the quality available at the skill positions could be tremendous.)

9.11     Jonathan Stewart (Old guy at his position, no doubt. Hoping his 1st and 2nd down carries aren't diminished that much and he remains a goal-line option in rushing situations.)

10.06   Torrey Smith (Total upside pick here. Wentz is solid and Smith is reliable. Hoping he can resurrect his career with the young QB.)

11.11   Robert Woods (Another possession WR with this pick. Hoping that he can help the 2nd year QB [Goff] along with grabbing 70 catches along with a few TD's.)

12.06   Charles Sims (When healthy, an important part of the pass game. Should he be available all season, the numbers will be solid.)

13.11   Mason Crosby (Green Bay PK, nuff said.)

14.06   Jacksonville Defense (Wanted to select what I believe to be one of the top D's before the good ones were gone. Lots of good pieces in place here.)

15.11   Baltimore Defense (Pleased to see this D fell to me after taking Jax. Also wanted to get my backup with a different bye week before it was too late.)

16.06   Conner Barth (Same case as Ravens D, wanted a backup with a different bye week from my projected starter. Not sure about the quality though.)

17.07 Rex Burkhead (Taking a chance that the N.E. magic works out and I needed another RB)

18.06 Cordarrelle Patterson (Part of a good offense, hoping he can be that long TD guy or consistent 3rd down possession option. Hoping)

In all it's glory...do not like this team as much as my SSL1 team, but I think I recovered well from a crummy start.

My own opinion, but here are my pros and cons:

Very solid core of running backs...I have three who could legitimately get 1000 yards and 10 TDS, and the fourth could catch 50 balls.

Cooks/Adams/Snead/Parker is a decent group of WRs in a 16 teamer, especially when RBs are so strong.

TE - Not good...had I waited an hour longer on the clock, I could have had Jesse James instead of Brate...and I almost selected James anyway.

QB - Ooof...Instead of picking up Richardson as my 6th WR, I almost grabbed Garrapolo and Fitzpatrick in Round 17/18...would have been interesting, but this early you always need more WRs and Hackenberg will play...hopefully Week 8

Pats - I am weary that I overdrafted on Cooks...would like that one back.

Hackenberg, Christian NYJ QB

-

Mariota, Marcus TEN QB (Q)

Blount, LeGarrette PHI RB

Freeman, Devonta ATL RB

Hyde, Carlos SFO RB (Q)

Lewis, Dion NEP RB (Q)

Adams, Davante GBP WR

Beasley, Cole DAL WR (Q)

Cooks, Brandin NEP WR

Parker, DeVante MIA WR

Richardson, Paul SEA WR

Snead, Willie NOS WR

Brate, Cameron TBB TE

Fiedorowicz, C.J. HOU TE (Q)

Hopkins, Dustin WAS PK

Myers, Jason JAC PK

Texans, Houston HOU Def

Titans, Tennessee TEN Def

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB

Winston, Jameis TBB QB

Love this QB combo.  Easily the strength of the team. 

Foreman, D'Onta HOU RB

Gurley, Todd LAR RB

Hunt, Kareem KCC RB

Sproles, Darren PHI RB

Vereen, Shane NYG RB

If vereen bounces back healthy should be a decent group. I think gurley improves a lot with new coaching, hunt takes over by mid year.  I'll need sproles to have some of his spark. 

Bryant, Dez DAL WR

Decker, Eric NYJ WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Tate, Golden DET WR

Treadwell, Laquon MIN WR

I'm not expecting much from treadwell but the others will provide good consistency. I think. Might lack some upside but you won't find a receiver group with a higher floor. 

Engram, Evan NYG TE

Thomas, Julius MIA TE

Tye, Will NYG TE

Ok, this is ugly.  I'll get some points but this is the worst group of TE I've ever had. 

Janikowski, Sebastian OAK PK

Opted to not take a second kicker because I don't trust Franks or Rosa to be worth owning.  Seabass will have to suffice.

Lions, Detroit DET Def

Rams, Los Angeles LAR Def

I might be putting too much into the Rams resurgence but I think their d will be good.  

Overall I don't love it but should be alright with a few breaks. 

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB

Winston, Jameis TBB QB

Love this QB combo.  Easily the strength of the team. 

Foreman, D'Onta HOU RB

Gurley, Todd LAR RB

Hunt, Kareem KCC RB

Sproles, Darren PHI RB

Vereen, Shane NYG RB

If vereen bounces back healthy should be a decent group. I think gurley improves a lot with new coaching, hunt takes over by mid year.  I'll need sproles to have some of his spark. 

Bryant, Dez DAL WR

Decker, Eric NYJ WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Tate, Golden DET WR

Treadwell, Laquon MIN WR

I'm not expecting much from treadwell but the others will provide good consistency. I think. Might lack some upside but you won't find a receiver group with a higher floor. 

Engram, Evan NYG TE

Thomas, Julius MIA TE

Tye, Will NYG TE

Ok, this is ugly.  I'll get some points but this is the worst group of TE I've ever had. 

Janikowski, Sebastian OAK PK

Opted to not take a second kicker because I don't trust Franks or Rosa to be worth owning.  Seabass will have to suffice.

Lions, Detroit DET Def

Rams, Los Angeles LAR Def

I might be putting too much into the Rams resurgence but I think their d will be good.  

Overall I don't love it but should be alright with a few breaks. 
I agree with most of what you said...QB is a huge strength here, and your RB success will likely depend on Vereen (I see Hunt and Gurley being fine, but you need that third RB to come through).  Really like what you did at WR...you don't need to be first every week, just not last; and I think people try to hit too many HRs in these types of leagues, and your floor is very high with this group.  Not big on your TEs, but if your WR and QB group are strong, you will have a weakness...everyone does (I am weak at both TE and QB).  Honestly, i think this team will go pretty far.

I agree with most of what you said...QB is a huge strength here, and your RB success will likely depend on Vereen (I see Hunt and Gurley being fine, but you need that third RB to come through).  Really like what you did at WR...you don't need to be first every week, just not last; and I think people try to hit too many HRs in these types of leagues, and your floor is very high with this group.  Not big on your TEs, but if your WR and QB group are strong, you will have a weakness...everyone does (I am weak at both TE and QB).  Honestly, i think this team will go pretty far.
I like the WRs also, but always feel like only five weakens even a strong five and not sure that Treadwell will be a strong WR. One more comment on the QB strength, it has been discussed here quite a bit, but I really think that having a strong QB position is not nearly as important as having strength at either WR or TE. It is very difficult to dominate 16 teams at the QB position as there are so many strong passing games and the variance in week to week, can have some rather lower ranked QBs scoring really well often enough.

I like the WRs also, but always feel like only five weakens even a strong five and not sure that Treadwell will be a strong WR. One more comment on the QB strength, it has been discussed here quite a bit, but I really think that having a strong QB position is not nearly as important as having strength at either WR or TE. It is very difficult to dominate 16 teams at the QB position as there are so many strong passing games and the variance in week to week, can have some rather lower ranked QBs scoring really well often enough.
Personally, I went with the 6th WR over the 3rd QB.  With Hackenberg as my QB2, I thought about taking a flyer on Garrapolo or Fitz, but basically, I'd be waiting for an injury to the respective starters.  Instead I went with Paul Richardson (no great WR), but a guy who I feel sure will contribute at least a few weeks.  When you go five at WR, you are not only betting on constant production (IMO), but also in impeccable health.

2.05 Aaron Rodgers GBP QB1    8
11.12 Mike Glennon CHI QB31    9

Tried something a little different by going QB early.  Rodgers is a pretty sure bet to finish top 3 and should give me a slight advantage over the field most weeks at QB.  Glennon just a late add and that’s about it.  He should start….. hopefully through week 8.    He is at the Saints on Rodgers bye so they will need to score. 

6.05 Paul Perkins NYG RB26    8
7.12 Danny Woodhead BAL RB34   10
8.05 Mike Gillislee NEP RB39    9    
14.05 Chris Thompson WAS RB61    5

After punting the position through 5 rounds, I went RB in 3 straight. Fairly happy with what I was able to piece together here.  Perkins should be the main guy. Couple pass catchers/2 min/4 min offense guys in Woodhead and Thompson.  SD used Woodhead quite a bit in the red zone too, we’ll see if BAL does the same.  Hopefully Gillislee gives me two thirds of what Blount did.  He finished RB40 last year in BUF so maybe some value if he outperforms that this year.  Thompson finished as RB28 last year in this format so potential for some serious value there if he assumes the same role. Different bye weeks for all 4.  Not going to dazzle anybody here just need to post a couple decent scores each week.

1.12 T.Y. Hilton IND WR9    11
4.05 Terrelle Pryor WAS WR23    5
5.12 Martavis Bryant PIT WR31   9
10.05 Rishard Matthews TEN WR52    8    
12.05 Kenny Stills MIA WR67    11
17.12 Eli Rogers PIT WR82    9

T.Y. should be solid again.  Kinda surprised Pryor’s ADP isn’t a little higher in these, his arrow is pointing way up IMO.  Bryant looks like he is going to be in full beast mode. Pretty happy with the top 3 here.  Mathews, Stills and Rogers feel like a pretty solid complimentary group.  Mathews WR19 last year, is he really going to fall all the way to WR52 because of Davis? Stills finished as WR46 so maybe some value there in that offense this year. And Rogers was WR63 and should man the slot in PIT, so as far as depth goes, some value. Couple same bye week guys but hopefully not an issue.     

3.12 Tyler Eifert CIN TE7    6    
9.12 David Njoku CLE TE19    9
18.05 Gary Barnidge FA TE34    ?

Jumped early for a TE and then backed him up with a rookie who should be an impact early.  Heard some football heads talk about not listening to what teams say during the offseason, watch what they do.  CLE kicked Barnidge, a legit NFL TE, to the curb as soon as they drafted Njoku.  Ima watchin. With that said, I had a few options in the last round and decided to snag Barnidge as I think some NFL team will snatch him up very soon.  In this format it’s ok to overload at TE, and with an oft injured Eifert and a rook on board, Barnidge seemed like a solid add.  He could end up being a steal and a start for me more than I think. The other major piece here was that once I was able to get Novak and his week 7 bye, I knew I would be going solo at PK so I had a pick to play with.  

15.12 Nick Novak HOU PK20    7

Rolling the solo dice here.  My only roster spot with a week 7 bye (unless Barnidge signs with a week 7 bye team) so I will be loaded for bear everywhere else on Novak’s bye, so hopefully can cover the donut. HOU resigned Novak and I was kind of surprised to see that he kicked so many FG last year. 

13.12 Denver Broncos DST4     5    
16.05 Green Bay Packers DST20     8

Denver D should be pretty dominant again with sacks and TO’s. They are committed to being more impactful on special teams and have added some juice in the return game.  Kinda nice to see GB still around with a few other options in the 16th. Really just took them over others because of their division matchups.  

Overall: I kinda liked the QB early thing.  I didn’t have to worry about playing the game in rounds 4-8 and I was able to focus elsewhere.  QB should be a strength as should WR and maybe even TE.  Kind of a motley crew at RB but they could be serviceable.  Felt I succeeded for the most part in limiting bye week damage.  Felt I was able to secure some value throughout the draft and while I see some potential for immunities, I at least shouldn’t be an easy out any particular week. Good luck.  :banned:

Personally, I went with the 6th WR over the 3rd QB.  With Hackenberg as my QB2, I thought about taking a flyer on Garrapolo or Fitz, but basically, I'd be waiting for an injury to the respective starters.  Instead I went with Paul Richardson (no great WR), but a guy who I feel sure will contribute at least a few weeks.  When you go five at WR, you are not only betting on constant production (IMO), but also in impeccable health.
If I had taken TE earlier I would have taken a 6th receiver but I did not feel confidant with Julius and Engram.  I probably would have taken Patterson instead of tye but I doubt he would make a difference.  

Fwiw I think the best 18th round pick was DeAndre Washington but I wasn't going to take a 6th rb.

-OZ- said:
If I had taken TE earlier I would have taken a 6th receiver but I did not feel confidant with Julius and Engram.  I probably would have taken Patterson instead of tye but I doubt he would make a difference.  

Fwiw I think the best 18th round pick was DeAndre Washington but I wasn't going to take a 6th rb.
in a start 3 I think rolling 6 deep is almost a given at WR....haven't thought completely through it but the fact that your third TE is on the same team as another of your TE's makes me think the numbers probably don't play in your favor with that choice....is Tye really going to outscore Engram/Thomas and count for you more than a 6th WR in a start 3....really you are hoping not since you took Engram at the 9-10 turn....guess maybe I would have been more on board if your third TE was a more upside guy like Swope or Davis, or Shaheen....I don't know, maybe I'm off track here....with Decker/Treadwell occupying WR4-5, I think a 6th would have been helpful....you don't have a bye week issue at WR right now, but it could get a little shaky during your top 3 WR's byes and hopefully none of them go down for any length of time....the Treadwell pick felt a turn too early for me, I think you could have gotten him at your next turn....guess others are more into him than I am.....guess I'm also a little leery of the passing games in MIN and NYJ...

in a start 3 I think rolling 6 deep is almost a given at WR....haven't thought completely through it but the fact that your third TE is on the same team as another of your TE's makes me think the numbers probably don't play in your favor with that choice....is Tye really going to outscore Engram/Thomas and count for you more than a 6th WR in a start 3....really you are hoping not since you took Engram at the 9-10 turn....guess maybe I would have been more on board if your third TE was a more upside guy like Swope or Davis, or Shaheen....I don't know, maybe I'm off track here....with Decker/Treadwell occupying WR4-5, I think a 6th would have been helpful....you don't have a bye week issue at WR right now, but it could get a little shaky during your top 3 WR's byes and hopefully none of them go down for any length of time....the Treadwell pick felt a turn too early for me, I think you could have gotten him at your next turn....guess others are more into him than I am.....guess I'm also a little leery of the passing games in MIN and NYJ...
Tye was mostly in case Engram isn't ready week one.  

Sorry no writeup yet. I won't do it on tablet and have not got out labtop yet. Is it wanted is big question. 

Users who are viewing this thread