What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys 2017 New Cheatsheets Testing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Shepherd

Footballguy
Hey all,

One of the things we learned from the offseason survey we ran (thanks to all who gave us some great feedback there!) is that a lot of people still love paper cheat sheets.

As much as we think that the Draft Dominator has a ton more data that can fit onto paper, and can adapt to drafts as they go etc, we totally get now there's a bunch of reasons why paper is still very effective. Maybe it's just as a backup, maybe you don't want your head buried in a screen during the draft, your league doesn't allow it or whatever - we identified this as an area we needed to improve.

Like last year, these will be for subscribers only. But for now, they're open to all and we'd love to get your feedback on them and to hear of any issues you can spot.

I'll put some more details below on what we changed, but here's the link: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2017/cheatsheets.php

And here's what we would especially like to hear about from you all, in this thread:

• how do the cheat sheets print for you? (I'm in the UK with different paper sizes so this has been a nightmare to get right!)
  • is there any key info you see missing?
  • general feedback on the design of the cheat sheets
  • general feedback on the design of the page where you select the cheat sheet
  • feedback on the rankings
  • check that the projections used are up to date (it's listed on the sheet)
And here's some more details on what we changed:

• These are now generated by the algorithms in the new Draft Dominator (not Classic but the one that goes into app stores and was on desktop last year too). This is an algorithm that is hugely advanced over the VBD spreadsheet, that used to power them. (these cheat sheets can be exported from the new Draft Dominator in the exact same format if you wish to edit rankings or customize in any other way, e.g. league settings, player rankings etc)
  • Now based on a blend of all the projection sets we have available, rather than just @David Dodds . All the guys spend a ton of time comparing numbers and we're convinced these are the best lists.
  • The number of cheat sheets we generate has gone through the roof. Last year it was 186. This year it is 5,400.
  • Added number of teams as an option, as this is a key input to VBD calculations and also affects how many players are listed at each position on the sheet
  • We added a space to write down your roster as you draft
  • We reformatted the entire cheat sheet to make it easier to read, print by default at a better scale onto two pages (the text is just too small on 1 page for the simplest of leagues - some deeper leagues may spill onto 3 pages), and color coded for positions
  • Added dotted lines and headers to indicate tiers and which players we believe should be starters, bench depth and waiver wire guys
  • Added lots of icons, like injuries, suspensions etc (although this data is pending as we get it together for 2017 - we will have it soon)
  • We automated this whole process - we have a server with a copy of the app running. As soon as it detects any updates to our projections, it gets to work regenerating all the cheat sheets
Thanks and look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and suggestions! Here's a preview of what they look like:

IMG_1253.jpg

For some reason mine only prints one page no matter how I adjust the margins or zoom.
Is it printing portrait or landscape? Which browser are you using and can you link me to the cheat sheet you're trying to print (the one with the blue PRINT NOW button)? thanks!

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2017/2017-insider-pro-downloads/cheatsheets/2-0-0-4-0.html

Portrait

Firefox

Windows 7

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2017/2017-insider-pro-downloads/cheatsheets/2-0-0-3-0.html

Portrait

IE

This prints 2 pages, but the font is too small with the "Print Now " button. If instead of print now I do File-> Print Preview and change from Shrink to fit to 100% it's better. Better still if I eliminate the Header and Footer. Prints two pages and easier on the eyes.

The Your Team list needs lines next to the positions. Also, maybe have a button to option that list either by Position (as it is now) or Draft Position ( Round 1 _______  Round 2 ______ )

Excellent work, Thanks!

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2017/2017-insider-pro-downloads/cheatsheets/2-0-0-4-0.html

Portrait

Firefox

Windows 7

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2017/2017-insider-pro-downloads/cheatsheets/2-0-0-3-0.html

Portrait

IE

This prints 2 pages, but the font is too small with the "Print Now " button. If instead of print now I do File-> Print Preview and change from Shrink to fit to 100% it's better. Better still if I eliminate the Header and Footer. Prints two pages and easier on the eyes.

The Your Team list needs lines next to the positions. Also, maybe have a button to option that list either by Position (as it is now) or Draft Position ( Round 1 _______  Round 2 ______ )

Excellent work, Thanks!
Thanks. I will check out with Firefox and IE. The page should force printing in landscape. It works for me in Chrome; try printing them on landscape by switching manually for better results.

The rows in the roster area should alternate in background color between grey and white. The headers of each position should also have a colored background. If you're not seeing that, my guess is the printer is excluding web page styles of any kind (even those we put in the print stylesheet) and we'll need to add some instructions in for users to make sure they turn this on.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Simon Shepherd will there be a way to customize these even more based on league scoring or will these just be pretty generic?
So there's a bunch of options on that page I linked to in my original post. If you want to go deeper than that, the exact same format cheat sheets can be generated from the Draft Dominator, where you can edit every setting like number of teams, exact scoring, exact lineups, keepers, move players up/down, add players to watch/avoid lists, change balance of positions or projectors, etc.

So there's a bunch of options on that page I linked to in my original post. If you want to go deeper than that, the exact same format cheat sheets can be generated from the Draft Dominator, where you can edit every setting like number of teams, exact scoring, exact lineups, keepers, move players up/down, add players to watch/avoid lists, change balance of positions or projectors, etc.
Ok cool, wasn't sure if there would be more options than what is already there going forward. So will the VBD Excel App still be out there or will that go away?

VBD app won't go away; it just won't be used for the cheat sheets on the site anymore.
Gotcha. It will still get the updated values and all I'm assuming. I ask because I've used the VBD Excel sheet for the last few years and it's been a lifesaver. I guess I could just plug the league info into DD and then export the list, right?

Ok cool, wasn't sure if there would be more options than what is already there going forward. So will the VBD Excel App still be out there or will that go away?

It will still be available, but will yield slightly different results (my projections vs weighted average and slightly different algorithms). For most generic leagues, the best answer cheatsheet answer will come from what Simon has created here.

It will still be available, but will yield slightly different results (my projections vs weighted average and slightly different algorithms). For most generic leagues, the best answer cheatsheet answer will come from what Simon has created here.
Ok perfect. The cheatsheets that Simon has will work great for 2 of my league. But the other 2 have a little bit different scoring and/or roster requirements, so that's where the VBD app has been great for me.

I printed it (using IE11) and it printed double-sided and the font is extremely small.  The page break was around the Team Defenses 9th ranked team.

So, two things:

1. Font too small for use on draft day.
  2. Much easier if it would be on separate pages as I would not then have to flip it back and forth.

I went to the link in the OP and printed off the sheets for my main league.  My comments are:

1.  The page for generating these looks really good and easy to use.  Seems the most common league scoring types is there and one will be close enough for most.

2.  I printed an auction sheet off and in the instructions it says to "keep a running score of over/under pays for each player"  but the sheet doesn't really give you much room to write that down when printed.  Maybe you can move over the team/bye column a little and leave a space for that.

3.  I print everything in black and white (we aren't all 1%ers here) and the titles of the columns print really light because they are in white font with color surrounds on the sheet.  Can I make a request that they be in bold black or a different font so the stand out more.

I printed it (using IE11) and it printed double-sided and the font is extremely small.  The page break was around the Team Defenses 9th ranked team.

So, two things:

1. Font too small for use on draft day.
  2. Much easier if it would be on separate pages as I would not then have to flip it back and forth.
Did it print landscape or portrait?

The separate pages thing is definitely something to do with your local printer settings; I'm not specifying anything in the code that would cause that. Can you double check those in your print window dialog?

I went to the link in the OP and printed off the sheets for my main league.  My comments are:

1.  The page for generating these looks really good and easy to use.  Seems the most common league scoring types is there and one will be close enough for most.

2.  I printed an auction sheet off and in the instructions it says to "keep a running score of over/under pays for each player"  but the sheet doesn't really give you much room to write that down when printed.  Maybe you can move over the team/bye column a little and leave a space for that.

3.  I print everything in black and white (we aren't all 1%ers here) and the titles of the columns print really light because they are in white font with color surrounds on the sheet.  Can I make a request that they be in bold black or a different font so the stand out more.
thanks for the feedback! I will make a note to add a column for tracking auction scores.

On the colors, I'm not sure I want to make a change there. Apart from those headers, there is pretty much zero color on the whole screen other than some extremely light yellow on the background. I'm open to being convinced, but I think from what I see so far it's better to design with color printing in mind.

Did it print landscape or portrait?

The separate pages thing is definitely something to do with your local printer settings; I'm not specifying anything in the code that would cause that. Can you double check those in your print window dialog?
Portrait.  (I corrected the double-page thing.)  Still exceptionally small font.

From the looks of things, I wonder if putting a page break between (looking at the output in the first column) the end of the "Overall" player list and the "Your Team" list might be just about right.  From there, if the font was done to fit to the page, it would probably look pretty good.

From the looks of things, I wonder if putting a page break between (looking at the output in the first column) the end of the "Overall" player list and the "Your Team" list might be just about right.  From there, if the font was done to fit to the page, it would probably look pretty good.
Ok; the code should be forcing it to print in landscape. Can you try doing that manually? The font size will then be bigger.

Can you let me know what your OS and browser is, so I can look into some other options for forcing landscape print?

Ok; the code should be forcing it to print in landscape. Can you try doing that manually? The font size will then be bigger.

Can you let me know what your OS and browser is, so I can look into some other options for forcing landscape print?
When I changed it to Landscape, it DID print in a larger font.

I am using Windows 7 and IE11.

When I changed it to Landscape, it DID print in a larger font.

I am using Windows 7 and IE11.
Ok thanks, sounds like I need to get myself a windows virtual machine going! Was that font size sufficiently large for you?

The other option would be to go to two columns for the whole thing and switch to portrait, but I think that may make them print onto 3 pages at least.

printed perfectly using Windows 7 and chrome...great work! Love the use of icons.

Maybe I'm not reading it right but when I run the cheat sheet for a $100 Cap, 12 team, PPR, auction it says that David Johnson is worth $96.  How's that possible?

Maybe I'm not reading it right but when I run the cheat sheet for a 12 team PPR auction it says that David Johnson is worth $96.  How's that possible?
I thought some of the rankings in there were a little off myself, haven't checked auction values though.

Thanks Guys. If I'm understanding what Simon is doing here, the values right now aren't important. He can figure that out. The big challenge is making this easy to print for a zillion people each with a unique printing setup.

J

I thought some of the rankings in there were a little off myself, haven't checked auction values though.
For a $100 cap league it has David Johnson at $96, Elliott at $82 and Bell at $72 just to name a few.  It's not possible to spend that much on Johnson since there wouldn't be enough to draft the rest of your team.  In my league the max I could spend is $85 on one player.

For a $100 cap league it has David Johnson at $96, Elliott at $82 and Bell at $72 just to name a few.  It's not possible to spend that much on Johnson since there wouldn't be enough to draft the rest of your team.  In my league the max I could spend is $85 on one player.
I think Joe hit on it, doesn't seem like the values and such mean anything at this point. I did a $200 auction and Johnson is still at $96. So maybe not everything is loaded correctly for now and will be adjusted as time goes on?

Thanks Guys. If I'm understanding what Simon is doing here, the values right now aren't important. He can figure that out. The big challenge is making this easy to print for a zillion people each with a unique printing setup.

J
I Ran a regular draft cheat sheet and it printed perfect for me.

I think Joe hit on it, doesn't seem like the values and such mean anything at this point. I did a $200 auction and Johnson is still at $96. So maybe not everything is loaded correctly for now and will be adjusted as time goes on?

Yes. Sadly, the printing is the hard part. Sheesh. That's reality in a world with a zillion computer options these days. 

J

I'll look into the David Johnson auction values thing. Thanks guys. And to re-iterate - we're definitely in the testing phase here. But I don't expect that to last more than a few days. I think we're mainly dealing with needing to add better instructions (or code!) to handle Internet Explorer (said every web developer, ever!)

It seems like it doesn't like the way I'm asking it to print landscape, and it doesn't like the CSS for the PRINT NOW button, and that in turn is causing other legibility issues with the portrait printing, which should never happen.

Ok thanks, sounds like I need to get myself a windows virtual machine going! Was that font size sufficiently large for you?

The other option would be to go to two columns for the whole thing and switch to portrait, but I think that may make them print onto 3 pages at least.
Font size was fine.  It actually DID go to three pages but the third page only had extraneous info on it.

cool. How many pages does depend on the cheat sheet you choose, as the more teams and more roster spots, the more players that are on it (and the taller the print out needs to get)

I have the David Johnson thing fixed locally. It's actually not switching to $100 budgets when generating them, so that value is for $200. Good spot @Hawkeye21! I have that fixed locally and we'll get the cheatsheets updated with that soon.

At this point in the year we tend to just let the algorithm we've run in years past have at the projections and come up with its own numbers. Quite interesting that it comes out so high for David Johnson. It's more a mathematical commentary on how low the RB baseline is this year.

I also think the scoring isn't changing anything right now, so let me look into that issue too.

I have the David Johnson thing fixed locally. It's actually not switching to $100 budgets when generating them, so that value is for $200. Good spot @Hawkeye21! I have that fixed locally and we'll get the cheatsheets updated with that soon.

At this point in the year we tend to just let the algorithm we've run in years past have at the projections and come up with its own numbers. Quite interesting that it comes out so high for David Johnson. It's more a mathematical commentary on how low the RB baseline is this year.

I also think the scoring isn't changing anything right now, so let me look into that issue too.
No worries.  I understand that's not the priority at the moment.  Reports look good and printed well for me though.

The cheat sheets are regenerating now, and should show fixed scoring and auction values for $100 caps when they finish up in a few hours.

Tomorrow I'll either change the printout to portrait or add clear instructions that they need to be manually printed in landscape. It seems there's no way to have IE print in landscape without the user manually changing that setting.

Seemed to work for me on Windows 7 machine using Chrome.

Curious if there is anyway to have these set up so they can also be exported to Excel do some of our own customization - to the sheet and the print settings (for example, I usually prefer to set my sheet up to print on a ledger size (17x11) which gives me the ability to often print larger and also to print on one page)

I can copy/paste into Excel but it loses formatting, etc., so it's not the easiest to work with, although, with the way I usually like to customize my cheatsheet for draft day, not necessarily the worst thing, just requires a lot of manual manipulation after the fact.

Using Mozilla Firefox 53.0.2 on a Windows 7 Pro SP1 machine

Prints only 1 page in portrait mode. Cuts off at Jarvis Landry/Connor Shaw/Lance Dunbar

WR/TE column only gets 6 or 7 characters in on right side.

Using Mozilla Firefox 53.0.2 on a Windows 7 Pro SP1 machine

Prints only 1 page in portrait mode. Cuts off at Jarvis Landry/Connor Shaw/Lance Dunbar

WR/TE column only gets 6 or 7 characters in on right side.

Hi dope,

Can you print it in Landscape mode? Does it work then?

J

Hi dope,

Can you print it in Landscape mode? Does it work then?

J
If I don't hit the "Print Now" button on top of the sheet

Cheatsheet

I can change from portrait to landscape but it still cuts off (hopkins/houshka/richards/stills is the last row).

All the columns are there.

Firefox print settings show

80% Landscape 1 pg

It doesnt seem to see page 2 of the doc for printing.

Thanks Dope. Let us keep working on it. It's not a great solution to have to ask people to go with Chrome as not everyone has it. We need to be able to give good instructions so people with non chrome browsers can print correctly. The "Print Now" button was something I stressed I wanted from Simon as I wanted it super simple. But it's not catching the non chrome folks. Let us keep working on it. Thanks for giving us feedback. 

Simon should have some more stuff to try tomorrow. Thanks.

J

Thanks Dope. Let us keep working on it. It's not a great solution to have to ask people to go with Chrome as not everyone has it. We need to be able to give good instructions so people with non chrome browsers can print correctly. The "Print Now" button was something I stressed I wanted from Simon as I wanted it super simple. But it's not catching the non chrome folks. Let us keep working on it. Thanks for giving us feedback. 

Simon should have some more stuff to try tomorrow. Thanks.

J
Yeah something weird with how the page interacts with Firefox because it's just one page whether I use the Print button or not.

I'm IT (like a a lot of us) so I get it. Just FYI...I wont be around tomorrow but will check in when I get a chance.

Yeah something weird with how the page interacts with Firefox because it's just one page whether I use the Print button or not.

I'm IT (like a a lot of us) so I get it. Just FYI...I wont be around tomorrow but will check in when I get a chance.
Ludicrously, it seems there's been a bug with Firefox printing only the first page of certain documents, that was filed 12 YEARS AGO! https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258397 that's crazy. Anyway, there seems to be one or two things I can try to work around it.

Ok I think I have the vast majority of printing issues sorted, by including instructions down the left hand side. The cheat sheets all need to regenerate later today to include the instructions column, but for now here is a cheat sheet that has regenerated that does include these browser-specific instructions:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2017/2017-insider-pro-downloads/cheatsheets/0-1-1-0-0.html

(if the print instructions appear along the top, and not down the left, refresh the page)

I think a lot of people may have printed and got black and white only and thought that's what we intended. We want you guys to get a light FBG watermark in the background, alternate colored backgrounds on each row, and colored headers to each position group. If you don't get any of that after following the instructions on the link in this post (or the instructions are in any way incorrect or unclear), please let us know here!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread