What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rico Gathers, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Exactly.  He costs hardly anything right now.  Isn't the whole point to buy low?
Well I was talking mostly about redraft. If you must make a decision on him, then pass. Speculation, has competition, doesn't block in a system that loves blocking TEs, and regardless, the team is run-first. Target someone else.

Well I was talking mostly about redraft. If you must make a decision on him, then pass. Speculation, has competition, doesn't block in a system that loves blocking TEs, and regardless, the team is run-first. Target someone else.
Conservative qb that doesn’t take many chances downfield, little at wr, wide open depth chart, costs little. For dynasty why not, for the last pick in your redraft there’s a lot of upside. 

I think he has a ways to go, and perhaps gets limited snaps. I’ll take wittens words here and have been adding swain everywhere. 

Aznflyer14 said:
He merely is an extension of Jerry Jones (or rather a coaching puppet).  Beside, his cronies have historically never develop their players quite well after getting rid of Parcells. 
I'm not a Cowboys homer, but any time you get a rookie 4th round pick at QB to throw 23 TDs and only 4 INTs and lead his team to a 13-3 record you have to think the coaching staff did a good job.

Conservative qb that doesn’t take many chances downfield, little at wr, wide open depth chart, costs little. For dynasty why not, for the last pick in your redraft there’s a lot of upside. 

I think he has a ways to go, and perhaps gets limited snaps. I’ll take wittens words here and have been adding swain everywhere. 
if someone is selling him that low, then I guess go for it, but a lot of people I know wouldn't sell him so low. They'd just do or die with him.

I know he was drafted out of the top 100 but I still believe Schultz is the one to watch.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a Cowboys homer, but any time you get a rookie 4th round pick at QB to throw 23 TDs and only 4 INTs and lead his team to a 13-3 record you have to think the coaching staff did a good job.
Granted, I'll give you (as well as Jerry Jones and his cronies) this one. But don't forget that Jones did try to trade up to acquire Paxton Lynch AND Connor Cook before ultimately "settling" on Prescott.  Even then, Cowboys coaching staff didn't conjure imaginative offensive scheme for Prescott and asked him as game-manager in their rushing-oriented offense.  The only thing that they got it right in player development was drafting / fortifying their OL with Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, and Travis Frederick. 

Too soon to tell nirad. Anyone that tells you any different is guessing
Maybe so, and of course Rico has had a long layoff so might be knocking off some rust, but people who get to watch OTA's are working with more info than us and this is what they are saying right now:

OTA report

The good from Rico Gathers: He was able to pull away from Leighton Vander Esch on a crossing route with the rookie linebacker trying to jump underneath the tight end. The bad from Gathers: During the compete period he failed to get out of bounds, forcing the Cowboys to use a timeout. Gathers had nothing but room to get out of bounds to stop the clock, but instead turned up field and was tackled. Prescott and others let him know he made the wrong decision.

Through two open OTAs to the media, Jarwin has been impressive. He can get down the field and he has a knack for getting open. On his touchdown, Rush put the seam pass high enough for Jarwin to make a play but a little to his back shoulder so he would not pummeled by the safety. Jarwin made the necessary adjustment. The key for Jarwin will be when the pads come on and how he blocks.

And this in response to someone asking which TE is standing out:

Bryan Broaddus‏Verified account @BryanBroaddus May 30

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Jarwin.

Too soon to tell nirad. Anyone that tells you any different is guessing
Jarwin looked solid in college. Decently quick I thought, and his profile/SPARQ score here seemingly confirms this. With that said, I think he's behind Swaim and Schultz as a pure blocker.Probably ahead of them as a pass-catcher though.

I sort of like his defiant responses and comments.  Also I hate Ed Werder and one of the reason is his snarky reply to Gathers on Graham having 10 TD's, a comment totally beside the point of what Rico was saying.

Graham, Ebron, Engram and Reed are examples of TE's that don't  block well  that teams are happy to pay/use. Gesicki just went in round 2 and his blocking is laughably bad.

Boils down to good coaching/bad coaching to me. A good coach takes the strengths of a player, finds a way to utilize it while working on the areas they need to improve. A bad coach just focuses on what you can't do.

I'll be really disappointed if Rico keeps developing his massive potential, but we keep him off the field strictly due to blocking. I believe that's being overstated, but if in fact The Clapper is dumb enough & stubborn enough to force Rico into playing Y & not as at least a part time Joker, he deserves to be fired on the spot.

I also think Schultz is being underrated as far as our potential starting Y. Ideally, I want Rico to become a good enough blocker he can become our starting TE (however they want to use him), but if not & he settles in as our F, Schultz is my favorite with the personnel we have right now to become our starting TE (certainly by the end of the season).

Schultz is a combo TE who can block & is a plus receiver. Great pick in the late, late 4th, IMO.

Gesicki just went in round 2 and his blocking is laughably bad.

Boils down to good coaching/bad coaching to me. A good coach takes the strengths of a player, finds a way to utilize it while working on the areas they need to improve. A bad coach just focuses on what you can't do.
Yep. Mark Andrews went in the 3rd & he’s a notorious poor blocker. These guys are essentially giant WRs who can really help an offense even as a part-time player.

Not real high on Gesicki, but if you can’t utililize the quality Joker-types, you’re a poor coach. Period.

I sort of like his defiant responses and comments.  Also I hate Ed Werder and one of the reason is his snarky reply to Gathers on Graham having 10 TD's, a comment totally beside the point of what Rico was saying.

Graham, Ebron, Engram and Reed are examples of TE's that don't  block well  that teams are happy to pay/use. Gesicki just went in round 2 and his blocking is laughably bad.

Just thought I’d share:

Penn State TE Mike Gesicki generated a passer rating of 136.6 and produced a catch rate of 89.5 percent when he was targeted in the red zone in 2017, both of which rank first among all skill position players with at least 15 red zone targets last year.

Also:

GM Chris Grier: “Everyone talks about him not being a great blocker. Well there’s a lot of really good tight ends that are pass-catchers that aren’t great blockers. It’s about giving effort and stuff. The one thing we really loved is the skillset offensively… red-zone matchups. He’s big and long and fast. High points the ball well… Loved the film. You see his play speed on film. The jump, on film. It’s a matchup league. He’s got a unique skillset.”

Tex

I plan to draft Gesicki at either 1.6 or 1.7 in my Dynasty (TE Premo) while trading for Njoku. I’m currently trying to acquire Njoku and a 2019 1st which might require me to give up Guice in the process (the owner of Njoku is a Redskin and has no 2018 1st round pick) the pick will likely be a top 3 pick.

Tex

I think Gathers problem is going to be that he is in a run first offense. He's going to have to run block. Witten was a great blocker.

Ultimately my gut says he will end up playing somewhere else on a team that just asks him to run routes. I don't think Dallas will do that.

But, wtf do I know?

menobrown said:
:thumbup:  

Adam Levitan tweeted Gathers is up to 282 and mostly focusing on blocking. Not a good sign.
why?

blocking is his worst part of his game and is one reason why he needed time to develop

is it the 282 pounds? the guy is 6'8. 282 puts him at a BMI of 31.0, which isn't that far off from Rob Gronkowski's bmi. he purposely put on weight. read the link above your post.

why?

blocking is his worst part of his game and is one reason why he needed time to develop

is it the 282 pounds? the guy is 6'8. 282 puts him at a BMI of 31.0, which isn't that far off from Rob Gronkowski's bmi. he purposely put on weight. read the link above your post.
There is this quote

“I was going for more trying to be quicker, trying to be faster. But that hurt me in the blocking game a lot where I felt like I was just a body, just a body catching a blow.”

I personally want my fantasy TE to be quicker and faster, not bigger. Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn't sound great to me- especially when combined with Marcus Mosher reporting that they were working Gathers at OT a lot. 

There is this quote

“I was going for more trying to be quicker, trying to be faster. But that hurt me in the blocking game a lot where I felt like I was just a body, just a body catching a blow.”

I personally want my fantasy TE to be quicker and faster, not bigger. Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn't sound great to me- especially when combined with Marcus Mosher reporting that they were working Gathers at OT a lot. 
He would be a very undersized OT

I look at it from a different perspective I guess. a guy working on rounding out his game as a whole so that he can actually make the team this year is a good thing, not a bad thing. 

I dont put any stock into blocking abilities for fantasy football, but if a guy cant even make the team because he is awful at blocking, then go ahead and work on it. he does me no good trim, quick, and agile at 265 on the practice squad. if 282 and blocking better gets him on the field, great. 

I look at it from a different perspective I guess. a guy working on rounding out his game as a whole so that he can actually make the team this year is a good thing, not a bad thing. 

I dont put any stock into blocking abilities for fantasy football, but if a guy cant even make the team because he is awful at blocking, then go ahead and work on it. he does me no good trim, quick, and agile at 265 on the practice squad. if 282 and blocking better gets him on the field, great. 
Good point. 

Where are you getting that he is 6'8"?  Playerprofiler has him at 6'6" and at a 4.84  40. I'm not sure I see the appeal. 

Good point. 

Where are you getting that he is 6'8"?  Playerprofiler has him at 6'6" and at a 4.84  40. I'm not sure I see the appeal. 
Huh... I could have sworn that I saw 6'8 somewhere. But you're right, 6'6 when I check again. 

Well in that case... cripes... 282 at 6'6 is pretty large... I would change my mind and say I prefer 265 then. That's much more comparable to a guy like Jimmy Graham. 

Huh... I could have sworn that I saw 6'8 somewhere. But you're right, 6'6 when I check again. 

Well in that case... cripes... 282 at 6'6 is pretty large... I would change my mind and say I prefer 265 then. That's much more comparable to a guy like Jimmy Graham. 
I have also seen him listed at 6'8'' in the past. Not sure which is correct.

I didn’t read that he was working out or did anything other than simply gain weight. No “I’ve been working with” or changed diet or anything like that, just that he’s gained weight and says he wanted to be bigger. Maybe I’m suffering from lone star syndrome and am putting way to much scrutiny on this situation. However, I’m not real optimistic for Rico. 

I didn’t read that he was working out or did anything other than simply gain weight. No “I’ve been working with” or changed diet or anything like that, just that he’s gained weight and says he wanted to be bigger. Maybe I’m suffering from lone star syndrome and am putting way to much scrutiny on this situation. However, I’m not real optimistic for Rico. 
He said he gained weight but lost none of his speed or quickness and what that implies works for me.

We're making too much of Gathers right now.  Yes, he is now, and has been, a decent at the end of the bench stash in dynasty leagues, but may not do anything.  I can accept him for what he is, no more than a dart throw.  Just like those dart throw RBs most don't pan out.  Hell, he didn't cost me anything except 1 roster spot.  Just sit back and see how it unfolds.  If nothing comes of it, toss him to the curb and go find another dart throw for the end of your dynasty bench.

Dr. Dan said:

If 282 on the field means he's slower, less agile, blocking a lot more and putting up 9.0 PPG like Witten then that's no better for my fantasy team.  I'll take Graham on the field for whatever % below 100 he is putting up the points he does any day.  The problem isn't Rico's body, it's how Dallas is using their TE's.  Any team with 1/2 a brain uses the player to their strength and we've long known that's not Garrett.  If they aren't using them as glorified WR's then I'll move on to the next team that is.  Ebron maybe or Burton.  RSJ if the ARI offense goes that route with him.

We're making too much of Gathers right now.  Yes, he is now, and has been, a decent at the end of the bench stash in dynasty leagues, but may not do anything.  I can accept him for what he is, no more than a dart throw.  Just like those dart throw RBs most don't pan out.  Hell, he didn't cost me anything except 1 roster spot.  Just sit back and see how it unfolds.  If nothing comes of it, toss him to the curb and go find another dart throw for the end of your dynasty bench.
At this point, for dynasty leagues, this is the epitome of what we should be discussing. A lotto pick that costs very little and could very well could be a huge difference maker if he pans out. These threads are exactly why I come to the Shark Pool. To discuss obscure players that may come out of nowhere and give me an edge in my league short or long term  :shrug:  

Which athlete would you prefer we discuss instead? I guess we could talk about how awesome Chubb is in the Chubb thread, or how Barkley is so good they are going to rename touchdowns "Barkleys" 

If 282 on the field means he's slower, less agile, blocking a lot more and putting up 9.0 PPG like Witten then that's no better for my fantasy team.  I'll take Graham on the field for whatever % below 100 he is putting up the points he does any day.  The problem isn't Rico's body, it's how Dallas is using their TE's.  Any team with 1/2 a brain uses the player to their strength and we've long known that's not Garrett.  If they aren't using them as glorified WR's then I'll move on to the next team that is.  Ebron maybe or Burton.  RSJ if the ARI offense goes that route with him.

You daily players need to identify yourself before you post stuff like this.  To you, maybe TE10 has little value to you, most especially when you can restock your roster from the total player pool every week.

To those of us who play FF where you actually have to manage a roster all year - or maybe for years - TE10 has very definite value - and even moreso in TE premium and/or larger leagues.  Comments like those above make people using that as their perspective think that you are putting forth foolishness and appear undereducated.

And just to be clear, IMO Rico has a long, long ways to go to come within sniffing distance of being a TE who can put up those kinds of numbers.  I believe the odds are stacked firmly against him, but I’ve been wrong enough times before now.

You daily players need to identify yourself before you post stuff like this.  To you, maybe TE10 has little value to you, most especially when you can restock your roster from the total player pool every week.

To those of us who play FF where you actually have to manage a roster all year - or maybe for years - TE10 has very definite value - and even moreso in TE premium and/or larger leagues.  Comments like those above make people using that as their perspective think that you are putting forth foolishness and appear undereducated.

And just to be clear, IMO Rico has a long, long ways to go to come within sniffing distance of being a TE who can put up those kinds of numbers.  I believe the odds are stacked firmly against him, but I’ve been wrong enough times before now.
Check yourself dude.  I don't do any daily and I'm in a bunch of BOTH leagues and three of them are TE premium so get off your horse.   I never said TE10 had no value, I said someone at 9.0 PPG (which is TE17 in one of my 16 man TE premium) doesn't do anything for me because those guys are easy to get.  Tyler Kroft, Ben Watson, and Cameron Brate scored above that.  If that's all Rico is going to do because DAL is using him as a blocker then I'd rather stash someone else.

At this point, for dynasty leagues, this is the epitome of what we should be discussing. A lotto pick that costs very little and could very well could be a huge difference maker if he pans out. These threads are exactly why I come to the Shark Pool. To discuss obscure players that may come out of nowhere and give me an edge in my league short or long term  :shrug:  

Which athlete would you prefer we discuss instead? I guess we could talk about how awesome Chubb is in the Chubb thread, or how Barkley is so good they are going to rename touchdowns "Barkleys" 
I didn't say we shouldn't be discussing Rico, just that we're probably making too much about him, especially this 6'6" vs 6'8" thing and the weight..  I hope he pans out because I have him in many leagues.

Check yourself dude.  I don't do any daily and I'm in a bunch of BOTH leagues and three of them are TE premium so get off your horse.   I never said TE10 had no value, I said someone at 9.0 PPG (which is TE17 in one of my 16 man TE premium) doesn't do anything for me because those guys are easy to get.  Tyler Kroft, Ben Watson, and Cameron Brate scored above that.  If that's all Rico is going to do because DAL is using him as a blocker then I'd rather stash someone else.

If 282 on the field means he's slower, less agile, blocking a lot more and putting up 9.0 PPG like Witten then that's no better for my fantasy team.  I'll take Graham on the field for whatever % below 100 he is putting up the points he does any day.

Dude, your words, not mine.  

Dude, your words, not mine.  
Yes, my exact words.  "No better for my fantasy team".  That's not "no value", that's "no more value than he was already providing".  If he's on the field more because of his blocking but can't score any more points because he's blocking on those extra plays then he holds the same value in either scenario.   I can add a JAG like Kroft or Ben Watson for a future 3rd in those leagues if I need 9.0 PPG, I'm not going to burn a stash spot on someone like that.

And still no reason to go all high and mighty as if how you play FF has any bearing. 

Users who are viewing this thread