What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official The Last Alaskans thread now featuring Zombie Apocolypse Survivor kit: What's in yours?" (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
So I've always been into survival stuff.  When I was a kid the only vacations we took were rustic camping, so I learned how to do a lot of stuff including how to properly poop in the woods. Then I spent a lot of time in the military "camping" in places like Afghanistan, so I kinda think about this stuff at times.  :oldunsure:

1 Ruck Sack or large backpack

1 Thermal sleeping bag (this includes desert survival, desert gets ####### cold at night)

1 Pair of really good boots with foot powder and some insert replacements (this is so critical)

1 Back up survival kit you can buy off the shelf

2 water purifiers like Lifestraw™ or whatever.  Get the steel ones not the plastic ones

1 guide to eating plants in nature

2 Tactical knives, one small knife sharpener

1 Survivor fishing pole and tackle kit

1 fire starter kit like this and matches, lots of them

1 Compass, preferably on a watch

2 pair of cargo pants (wear one)

1 utility belt to hold various things like a knife and maybe a sidearm

3 T shirts

1 fisherman's hat

1 Gortex overcoat with hood but it can't be bulky, buy to fit your pack since this is the most voluminous item you have to carry

1 hooded sweatshirt, something with a zipper preferable

1 thermal long-sleeved shirt

1 stocking hat/skull cap

1 pair of high end all-weather gloves (can't be too thick, probably gortex)

1 tube of ball cream

1 Poncho

Artificial lights are needed, solar charging lights the best but a few very small flashlights with a red insert cover would be nice.  Lots of options out there but you don't want anything with batteries over a AA for the weight consideration

1 Tactical/portable bow and arrow kit

1 Tactical Shotgun with Scabbard (carried on outside of pack)  If you are operating from a base you would bury your ammo in something airtight, if not maybe 50 rounds or so because of weight

1 Hand gun, probably a Gloc for weight consideration and functionality in all conditions

1 Copy of Juggs Magazine

-I would consider a small emergency radio depending on the situation

-I would consider underwear

A rifle would be nice but I think in any case, whether it's zombies, a natural disaster that turns people into animals, or Trump's people are looking for you the use of guns is probably not going to be your best option for sustenance.  The guns are for self-preservation and emergency.

All that should fit in a ruck sack and you can configure the shotgun to be in the pack as well and you can have the sidearm in a cargo pocket.  I did not list any food because generally carry food beyond snacks (jerky, smoked fish, etc) is too much weight. 

Thoughts?  What did I forget?

Shtick welcome.  :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have a Rubbermaid container with some canned goods and vicodin and a couple gallons of water.  No idea how I'm supposed to carry the ####### thing though 

Don't think the wife and kids would last long.   I might be able to get by in a Eugene type role 

I brought this up because I added a few things to my kit in Michigan and am taking the stuff up there this week.  I plan to go out in the woods by myself on Saturday and come back on Sunday so I can attend my God Daughter's dance recital.  :mellow:

But if you go to Amazon and search "survival gear" you can spend hours looking through all the cool ####.  Almost makes you want a zombie apocalypse to happen. :thumbup:

In addition to your list I would add a leatherman, some cordage, and some antibiotic cream.  Also an emergency medical kit.  In place of your matches I would have multiple bic lighters, they give more lights and are waterproof.  I also like an ax or a machete for chopping and digging.  Some wire leaders too, good for fishing or snares.  A small mirror and a small magnifying glass (great fire starter).  Oh, and wool socks.

SUBSCRIBE

Great list.. stole some ideas. 

Add paracord imo 

IN before the charmin soft cali crew check in to say they would just go to Whole Foods if there was an emergency. 

Camping hammock has utility as cordage and as a net in addition to a place to sleep.  Small, light, can be made into a emergency backpack to carry items.  Also makes a decent litter to haul the injured.  I have used mine to catch fish and rabbits, to hang supplies, to build shelter, as a makeshift backpack, and as a place to sleep.  In a pinch it is a good platform for quick improvisation of a Ghillie suit.

Doctor Detroit said:
When I was a kid the only vacations we took were rustic camping, so I learned how to do a lot of stuff including how to properly poop in the woods.
You have my attention...

Let me multi purpose this thread.  I've never seen anyone here mention the show The Last Alaskans on Animal Planet, but it is one of the most well shot and delivered outdoor reality shows.  It's the story of the last seven families who hold cabin permits in the Arctic National Refuge.  The Heimo family is just terrific.  They have an old guy trying to hang on, a 21-year-old kid making his first try at living there, and a young family who is about to have a baby.  It's just an awesome show, I highly recommend it to anyone who ever thought of just going out to the woods and staying.  

Users who are viewing this thread