What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bike Trainers (1 Viewer)

Dedfin

Footballguy
Looking to buy one of these.  I know there are several kinds, the old fan style, the magnet ones and the liquid ones.  Aren't there some with an app where you can bike a particular course?  Anyone have experience with these?  I seem to remember there are some biking enthusiasts that post here.  @proninja ?  (if you aren't sorry, I mixed you up with someone else) I'd love some advice on what I should exploit, avoid and so on.  FYI, my budget is about 400 and I plan on doing no more than 30km/week on them.

I saw a peloton cycle store with a hot chick riding one in the storefront. Made me want to buy one.

Got one through CL yesterday. Didn't get all those fancy bells and whistles but a Cycleops Magneto for $50 will suit me just fine.

There are loads of dumb trainers on Craigslist. There aren't many smart trainers. The people who spring for the bells and whistles use them far, far more in my experience. 
After years with a bad hip (replaced) and not being able to ride at all I bought a used bike a few days ago. Wasn't really even thinking about a trainer but saw some when searching for bikes. Only considered it after it rained every day since buying the bike. I may not use it much but that's why I wanted to go cheap. I have no intention of serious bike riding...just another way to get some exercise in and spend some leisure time out in good weather with the wife. All that said, apparently all I need to use virtual training apps is a BT speed sensor.

I used a Kurt Kinetix years ago... :shrug:  ... I guess it worked- but damn did I hate not riding outside.
In that price range this is one of the best choices.  

But if you can find a Vortex for cheap enough that one may be much more engaging.  Trainer riding sucks.

I've got a Tacx T2180 Vortex Virtual Smart Trainer and use it with the Zwift app.

Wife and I used it a good bit over the winter. It was cool/fun at first, but the novelty sorta wore off. Still a great workout though.

Now that it's getting warm, there are a million other activities Id rather be doing outside. I cancelled my Zwift membership and will start it back up again next December.

In that price range this is one of the best choices.  

But if you can find a Vortex for cheap enough that one may be much more engaging.  Trainer riding sucks.
Spin classes and videos like sufferfest make it bearable but yes. 

Spin classes and videos like sufferfest make it bearable but yes. 
My go to spin class just went out of business. :sadbanana:

Sufferfest is ok.  Not quite pulling my teeth out like having nothing, but ok.  More time than not I just watch a ballgame and treat the commercials like intervals.  Still sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread