What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Parachuting - Wife wants to Jump (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
so, for her birfday, wife wants to parachute.  she knows that i have a hard enough time getting on a plane, much less hurling myself out of one, so she is going by herself in tandem.  i have this booked for our next trip to italy.  the price isnt that expensive.

looking for advise for her.......she is mostly wondering if she should wear a diaper when she jumps.  

anyone do this "activity"?  i have a level of concern, but am not fatalistic.  

so, for her birfday, wife wants to parachute.  she knows that i have a hard enough time getting on a plane, much less hurling myself out of one, so she is going by herself in tandem.  i have this booked for our next trip to italy.  the price isnt that expensive.

looking for advise for her.......she is mostly wondering if she should wear a diaper when she jumps.  

get better life insurance...some may not cover this.  Seriously.

I'm not comfortable with heights, but still did it once (static line, not tandem).  Also, it was my first time ever up in a plane. No diaper needed. IMO your wife will be fine with or without a diaper.

Chemical X said:

Not voluntarily but the damn air force kept kicking us out of the plane. 

Not a big deal really. Fun. You're missing out while your wife is strapped between some young dude's legs. 

Tandem jumping, especially, there's nothing to worry about it. You should  jump with her just to avoid all the future stories where she points out what a wimp you are. 

Do it with her, will be the most exhilarating thing you ever do. The second jump is even better since you know what to expect, you take in even more of the experience.

Jumping tandem is pretty boring.  First jump you barely even pick up any speed and the chute comes out. Then you have a fairly long way down to take pics that come out blurry and talk to a dude dangling his junk between your cheeks. 

brun said:
I'm not comfortable with heights, but still did it once (static line, not tandem).  Also, it was my first time ever up in a plane. No diaper needed. IMO your wife will be fine with or without a diaper.
Static line basically means the chute is out before you are out of the plane?

You should first try something a little less scary like free climbing.  That should help you build up the courage to parachute.  

static line means you connect your chute's primary ripcord to a wire inside the plane.  The chute deploys as you exit the aircraft.   Tandem jumpers usually don't do this, because you're with an expert.  They deploy the primary and/or secondary.

Also, just doing basic math, I don't think you have time for 60 second free fall from 4,000 feet, assuming acceleration from gravity at 9.8m/sec sq, you're going 123M/sec 5 seconds in the to drop.  I would think 10-25 secs of free fall, max.

static line means you connect your chute's primary ripcord to a wire inside the plane.  The chute deploys as you exit the aircraft.   Tandem jumpers usually don't do this, because you're with an expert.  They deploy the primary and/or secondary.

Also, just doing basic math, I don't think you have time for 60 second free fall from 4,000 feet, assuming acceleration from gravity at 9.8m/sec sq, you're going 123M/sec 5 seconds in the to drop.  I would think 10-25 secs of free fall, max.
While you're right that a 60 second free-fall being too long, you're forgetting that skydiving doesn't happen in a vacuum. Terminal velocity for a human is about 53 m/s, or about 175 ft/s. 

While you're right that a 60 second free-fall being too long, you're forgetting that skydiving doesn't happen in a vacuum. Terminal velocity for a human is about 53 m/s, or about 175 ft/s. 
More relevant, perhaps is that they are not jumping from 4000 ft., but rather 4000 meters. Now presuming the are not in the mountains they can fall for about 2500 meters pretty safely, or about 60 seconds. 

That would be undesirable. It's been a long time (for ref. my static line jump cost $80). IIRC the static line was about 15 ft long, so as someone else said, probably a fall of about 4 seconds. Once the chute deployed. Grab the toggles and steer. Static line jumps are typically low altitude. I know mine was < 3000 ft, I think the military is usually around 1000 ft. Personally, I didn't enjoy it and never did it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemical X said:

If my wife wanted to jump, I would push her out of the plane personally.  With or without a chute.

More relevant, perhaps is that they are not jumping from 4000 ft., but rather 4000 meters. Now presuming the are not in the mountains they can fall for about 2500 meters pretty safely, or about 60 seconds. 
if i did my math right, that is 199 MPH.....I jumped out of a plane at 13800 feet with roughly a 1:30 minutes of free fall (not sure if i achieved these speeds or not)  This was back in the day where the guys were not attached to you (they did come grab you in the air to walk you through the drills we had learned on the ground).  I will second most of the posters, this was a great experience and she will have fun.  Pull the tampon out and go with her.  

I'm afraid of heights and I went skydiving in a tandem and it was awesome.

I wasn't scared at all during the jump.  There are so many backup plans that it is rare to have parachute problems.    (i.e., the parachute was designed to automatically open at 2,000 feet if it hadn't been pulled).

I'd recommend you join the wife!

Users who are viewing this thread