What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Dynasty Startup: Cooper or M. Thomas? (1 Viewer)

Cooper or M. Thomas, non-ppr dynasty:

• Amari Cooper, WR, OAK

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Michael Thomas, WR, NO

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
I think Cooper, and actually by a pretty decent margin, at least a full round. Not convinced Thomas can/will be any better than he was last season. Cooks saw #1 coverage, and Brees is winding down. Last year could have been the best case scenario for Thomas, I still like him, but I think his long term future is a lot lower than Cooper's. They are pretty close for 2017.

I voted for Thomas but after reading the comments I almost changed my mind.   Snorkelson & travdogg brought up good points regarding Brees being at the end has merit.  However, I still think I go with Thomas.

Cooper seems like he should be a top WR with his skills and the QB throwing to him but he hasn't put up the numbers you would expect for an elite guy.  I was disappointed by what I saw when looking at his game by game numbers when it comes to TD's.  He only has one multiple TD game in his career.  That shocked me.  Cooper has been a solid WR but not an elite WR as is the impression by most of the fantasy community.   

Thomas was near double digit TD's last year and I don't see why that should change.  He has similar yardage and target values as Cooper but nearly as many TD's in 1 yr as compared to Cooper in two.  Brees will still be elite for the next 2-3 years which is the time frame I use to evaluate for dynasty purposes so I don't give that as a negative to Thomas at the moment. 

Today I put Thomas over Cooper but two years from now that may switch due to changing QB situations.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooper just due to his QB being much younger.  We also don't know how Thomas is going to react to being THE guy.  It's easy to post great numbers in NO when teams clearly tried to take Brandin Cooks out of the game.

Cooper just due to his QB being much younger.  We also don't know how Thomas is going to react to being THE guy.  It's easy to post great numbers in NO when teams clearly tried to take Brandin Cooks out of the game.
Not only is Cooper's QB much younger, Cooper himself is much younger! Thomas is a full 15 months older than Amari despite one fewer year in the league. Even if they were otherwise very close (they aren't, at least for me), this would push me over the edge to prefer Cooper.

Users who are viewing this thread