What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electrical help please (1 Viewer)

Copeman

Footballguy
I have a line that runs underground from the box in the house to my shed outside.  From there, it runs to a point in my yard where another outlet is. Same line. We use that for the pool.  Yesterday, I was using electric hedge trimmers and used the outlet in the shed, like I always do. After about 2 minutes, it all stopped working.  Checked the outlet in the yard, that was done as well.  Went inside to see if any breakers were tripped, they were not. I reset everything, and still no go.  Any ideas?

I have a line that runs underground from the box in the house to my shed outside.  From there, it runs to a point in my yard where another outlet is. Same line. We use that for the pool.  Yesterday, I was using electric hedge trimmers and used the outlet in the shed, like I always do. After about 2 minutes, it all stopped working.  Checked the outlet in the yard, that was done as well.  Went inside to see if any breakers were tripped, they were not. I reset everything, and still no go.  Any ideas?
Either the shed outlet itself is bad or the wiring connections inside the shed outlet are bad. Or the line from box to first outlet (shed) is probably compromised (underground). 

Is the shed outlet a GFCI?  https://georgebrazilplumbingelectrical.com/blog/why-does-my-outdoor-gfci-outlet-keep-tripping

Last edited by a moderator:
Reset every GFI in the house.

I found my outside plugs were attached to my guest bathroom GFI.  :nutty:

How would I know if it's the breaker or the line? 
Change the breaker 

ETA: After you have identified the problem as either line or breaker. If you with a new breaker still don't have power - it's the line

Check all the GFCI breakers, bathrooms, kitchen, etc. If not that or the breaker in the panel, call an electrician.

Make sure to flip the breaker off/on. They very rarely go bad and I'd highly doubt you have a bad one.

I have some weird crap like that in my house too.  Outlet on back deck is tied in with the GFI in my kitchen...not too unreasonable, at least they share a wall.  But then the garage outlet and the one on my front porch are apparently somehow tied to the outlet in our master bath

Make sure to flip the breaker off/on. They very rarely go bad and I'd highly doubt you have a bad one.
Yeah, I flipped them all, and even the main switch to the house.  Some are not marked, so I wasn't sure what was what.  

I have some weird crap like that in my house too.  Outlet on back deck is tied in with the GFI in my kitchen...not too unreasonable, at least they share a wall.  But then the garage outlet and the one on my front porch are apparently somehow tied to the outlet in our master bath
Our basement bathrooms entire electric (including the lights and fan) can be shut off by my master baths GFCI outlet one floor up. 

Not sure its connected to any other outlet.  I can see the line from the breaker box going to a tube that leads outside.

if i had to guess id say the line burned up underground a lot of times it is buried in conduit which eventually goes to hell rusts out and bam line fries i have seen just normal romex buried which no shocker fried and i have seen romex underground feeder type cable just buried and even that eventually fries look long story short you want the cable to be an underground feeder grade you want it in conduit and you want a real electrician to do it so that it passes code and is not dangerous i will work on a lot of stuff but not electric because that can actually kill you so get some help and get r dun right take that to the bank brochacho

this is actually not that uncommon bromigo take that to the i need to reset my outside radio so go to the bathroom bank

Listen to SWC here...or anyone else (look at me!) that says call an electrician if it's not the breaker/GFCIs.

if i had to guess id say the line burned up underground a lot of times it is buried in conduit which eventually goes to hell rusts out and bam line fries i have seen just normal romex buried which no shocker fried and i have seen romex underground feeder type cable just buried and even that eventually fries look long story short you want the cable to be an underground feeder grade you want it in conduit and you want a real electrician to do it so that it passes code and is not dangerous i will work on a lot of stuff but not electric because that can actually kill you so get some help and get r dun right take that to the bank brochacho
You should see the doctor about that pusitis.

Can't test the old one in any way first?  I've never changed a breaker, although I am sure it is simple.
Just had same deal with one circuit inside our house.  Changing the breaker is easy (just Google).  Stating the obvious:  kill the master power switch first.

That didn't work for us so we had to call an electrician.  Took him a bit to figure it out, but we'd had a ceiling light replaced and the guy capped the wires poorly.

Have you had any sort of electrical work done anywhere on the property lately?

Not sure its connected to any other outlet.  I can see the line from the breaker box going to a tube that leads outside.
Wait you are saying you your line goes straight from the main breaker to the shed to the pool?  DO any of them have gfci on them?

Statign the obvious.   And if they don't one should :)

Yeah, I flipped them all, and even the main switch to the house.  Some are not marked, so I wasn't sure what was what.  
Fix that. Seriously - you should know what every breaker controls. Get a helper, and start flipping breakers to tell you when the lights go off, etc. Do every outlet (I used a plug in radio) and every light individually. 

Wait you are saying you your line goes straight from the main breaker to the shed to the pool?  DO any of them have gfci on them?

Statign the obvious.   And if they don't one should :)
Yes, the line goes from the box, to a cover thing that goes into the wall, outside, straight (I am assuming) to the shed.  No gfci on that one.  From there I am guessing back underground to the pool, which does have gfci.  I cannot see where the line goes from the shed to the pool.  Am assuming it's the same line since neither work now, after working fine for the 10 years I've been there.

Fix that. Seriously - you should know what every breaker controls. Get a helper, and start flipping breakers to tell you when the lights go off, etc. Do every outlet (I used a plug in radio) and every light individually. 
Yeah, been meaning to do that for some time now.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  You know how that goes.....

Just had same deal with one circuit inside our house.  Changing the breaker is easy (just Google).  Stating the obvious:  kill the master power switch first.

That didn't work for us so we had to call an electrician.  Took him a bit to figure it out, but we'd had a ceiling light replaced and the guy capped the wires poorly.

Have you had any sort of electrical work done anywhere on the property lately?
I replaced a light in one of the bathrooms myself, about 2 months ago.  Other than that, nothing.  Shed and pool outlets worked fine after that.

Yeah, been meaning to do that for some time now.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  You know how that goes.....
Yea, I do. It took me being suddenly unemployed to get around to doing it. I was in my house for two years with a mess of an electrical panel and different rooms connected to the same breaker, etc. Finally took a day, got a radio, turned the volume all the way up, and did every outlet. Then when my wife got home, we did every light, with her shouting down that it turned off. Was time well-spent, though. From then on, I knew exactly which breaker to shut down if there was an issue, I needed to do work, etc.

For your other issue - I would definitely change the breaker. It's actually pretty simple. But, make sure you know what every part of that box is - even when you flip the "main" breaker, there's likely still full "exposed" power somewhere before that (probably in the form of two large bolts that hold the wires coming in from the outside.)    

Users who are viewing this thread