What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone been to Bermuda? (1 Viewer)

Took a cruise there. The local peeps are great. The beach's are great. I golfed at turtle hill which is one of the highest rated executive course. It was a good way to get out and gold a couple hours and not be away the whole day golfing alone during a family vacation. 

Would highly recommend going there.

Awesome spot.  Much more expensive than Caribbean but worth it IMO.  The people are very proud of their island.  Low crime.  I had dinner at the Lobster Pot which is outside of Hamilton.  

I had a good, not great, time there....but we went when the water was still cooler, so didn't get to really enjoy that part of things (and we have other favorite caribbean island destinations)

that said- amazing to have such a short flight to get somewhere so foreign. I don't know when their high-season is, but I'd imagine summer would be busy- and a great time to go. good hotels, good restaurants, lots of dudes in bermuda shorts.

eta: I've always wanted to go back, but whenever we look it's pricier than going other places we really like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge Smails said:
Cool. British. Lots of pastels. Lots of mopeds
This. It's nice for a couples trip.  If you're on the east coast,  it's a no brainer to give it a shot.  If you find you don't like it, at least you didn't travel a whole day each way.

Stayed at the elbow beach resort 10 years ago.  Was very nice and relaxing.  You can rent a moped and get around town during the day.  Echo what everyone else said about it being a short plain ride from NYC 

Bump. 

Cruising to Bermuda in a couple of weeks.  The ship will be in port for nearly two days.
Our main interest is beach time.  I would like to snorkel and my wife will want to do some shopping.
I see they have several forts, any worth visiting?
I would love to look at local dining, but my wife has Celiac disease (read that as Gluten allergy), so local dining will be problematic.

Bump. 

Cruising to Bermuda in a couple of weeks.  The ship will be in port for nearly two days.
Our main interest is beach time.  I would like to snorkel and my wife will want to do some shopping.
I would love to look at local dining, but my wife has Celiac disease (read that as Gluten allergy), so local dining will be problematic.
We enjoyed the Royal Navy Dockyard and the museum there, that is likely where your ship will dock so it will be right off the boat.

Something I wish we had done but didn't know it was there until we got back is the Prospero's & Cathedral Caves.  It is supposed to be beautiful and you can go swimming in one of the grotto caves.  https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000292.htm

We did a jetski tour which was also fun.  There are a bunch of shipwrecks that people were scuba diving at but we didn't try that.

Been a couple times. It's pretty much equidistant with North Carolina so the heat comments should be thought of like that. Was there July 4th week maybe 7 years ago, and then early October 3 years ago. No weather complaints.

The other comments from a couple years ago are accurate. It's beautiful but expensive. And to me, it's not "yeah it's so amazing which makes it expensive"...it's just expensive. A lot of average food that will cost you way more than you expect even in NYC. Given your wife's celiac, I wouldn't get too worked up over missing out on some amazing dining because you're limited to where you can go. The last time we were there we went to the same restaurant 3x in less than a week because while it was really expensive, it was finally really good compared to other places we had been. 

Know you have limited time but if you can sneak away for an early morning tee time one of those days, or maybe your wife golfs too, try and play Port Royal. Many of the holes are right on the water and the views are incredible.

Been a couple times. It's pretty much equidistant with North Carolina so the heat comments should be thought of like that. Was there July 4th week maybe 7 years ago, and then early October 3 years ago. No weather complaints.

The other comments from a couple years ago are accurate. It's beautiful but expensive. And to me, it's not "yeah it's so amazing which makes it expensive"...it's just expensive. A lot of average food that will cost you way more than you expect even in NYC. Given your wife's celiac, I wouldn't get too worked up over missing out on some amazing dining because you're limited to where you can go. The last time we were there we went to the same restaurant 3x in less than a week because while it was really expensive, it was finally really good compared to other places we had been. 

Know you have limited time but if you can sneak away for an early morning tee time one of those days, or maybe your wife golfs too, try and play Port Royal. Many of the holes are right on the water and the views are incredible.
The wife and I really enjoyed our stay there.  We stayed at The Rosedon Hotel and while I agree it was expensive, we found some good food while we were there, maybe it was because the concierge at the hotel knew what places to recommend to us.  We both thought it was beautiful with the colorful houses and the white limestone roofs. 

The wife and I really enjoyed our stay there.  We stayed at The Rosedon Hotel and while I agree it was expensive, we found some good food while we were there, maybe it was because the concierge at the hotel knew what places to recommend to us.  We both thought it was beautiful with the colorful houses and the white limestone roofs. 
Didn't mean to imply it can't or won't be a great time. I really enjoyed both trips as well. 

There are just other places I much prefer that aren't that much further away. But if you're focused on getting to a beautiful beach within a short flight of the east coast it's hard to beat.

Remember taking a very early flight one time and we were on the beach by 11am, and they're an hour ahead over there, which was incredible.

Bump. 

Been twice (cruised once, flew the other) - love it there.  Like others have said, for being so close to the east coast, you can't really beat it for a quick getaway.  Some random thoughts...

The naval dockyard is going to be a tourist zoo with all the cruise ships.

A ton of people on your ship are going to end up going to Horeshoe Bay Beach.  If you do end up going.... everyone's going to stay within the first 100yds of when they first get on the beach; it'll be crowded.  If you walk a ways to the left and go through the first set of rocks, you'll have the same view with way less people.  There's a little pool/lagoon to the right that lots of people are going to be wading in because the parrot fish swim in there a lot.  Its cool to be up close to those fish.

http://www.bermudahiddengems.com/Home_Page.html  We took that tour and really enjoyed it.  They went way out of their way to make sure we had a good time.  My wife's camera battery died, so the guide drove to her Dad's house to let us borrow his (much nicer) camera so my wife could keep taking pics.  

We hit a few restaurants that we enjoyed, but nothing that was noteworthy for me to remember them (its been 5yrs).  Lobster Pot in Hamilton was nice and low key if you end up visiting down town.

If you fly in, where's a nice place to stay at?  Not looking for the best, but looking for something nice for the wife and me.  Trying to get an idea of what kind of price we're talking about.  Everyone keeps saying it's expensive but was wondering what that meant for a FBGer.  10 years ago, that meant billions of dollars.  But seems that number has dipped of late.

If you fly in, where's a nice place to stay at?  Not looking for the best, but looking for something nice for the wife and me.  Trying to get an idea of what kind of price we're talking about.  Everyone keeps saying it's expensive but was wondering what that meant for a FBGer.  10 years ago, that meant billions of dollars.  But seems that number has dipped of late.
We stayed at The Rosedon

https://www.rosedon.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwtuLrBRAlEiwAPVcZBkPN-8AJk-FpteZ9NlvOtj1tf-skfeHO2sdH86mBvY8fwh1geAh_wxoCQJIQAvD_BwE

It was nice, older place but clean and had some great charm

Last time we stayed at Elbow Beach Resort. It's on the expensive side but we got a really good deal for the season. There are some much more expensive places.

Grotto Bay Resort is a good place to stay if you're looking to spend less.

FTR though, when I'm talking about it being expensive, I'm referring to food/drinks. Like $50 on lunch for a couple, all in, just for food at the poolside grill type place. Hotel prices can be all over the place just like any other destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. 

Been there a couple times. Once a looooong time ago in mid 80s with my family as a teen, and once with my wife on a cruise in the late 90s.

Wife hates to fly, but wanted to go to Bermuda. Boom, CRUISE!! Left from Boston, took a day or so to get there, spent several days in port (not in Hamilton) and then a day or so back.

Agree with the golf (if you do) at Port Royal. That was awesome.

The one thing that surprised us on the cruise was the fact that tons of people would go a bit away from the ship during the day, but arranged to be back at the ship for ALL meals. They figured they paid for it, so they better get it all. If you can avoid doing this, do it. Getting on and off the ship can be a PITA. As to your wife's special eating needs, remember that this is a UK territory, where they all speak English. I'm sure if you talk to people, you can get meals adjusted to her needs (hope she likes fish!!)

Agree with the golf (if you do) at Port Royal. That was awesome.
Obviously the first hole I thought of. When I played there, it was quiet so I went out alone, which was great because I could play a couple balls and just enjoy the scenery. When I was getting to 16 I noticed there was an older guy ahead of me playing solo as well. Worked out great because I took a bunch of pictures of him teeing off on that hole, and he did the same for me and we ended up playing the last three holes together.

Wife and I pretty much want to lay by the pool and/or on a beach and just relax for a week.  Not really looking to do too much.  During the day, I would imagine it would be all pool/beach time.  Then probably just dinner and drinks at night.  Bermuda sounded like a nice laid back place to do this.  

Wife and I pretty much want to lay by the pool and/or on a beach and just relax for a week.  Not really looking to do too much.  During the day, I would imagine it would be all pool/beach time.  Then probably just dinner and drinks at night.  Bermuda sounded like a nice laid back place to do this.  
We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton - had it's own private beach.

Yeah The Rosedon pool was nothing to speak of, it was nice and secluded but small.  It's not on the beach either.

We enjoyed the Royal Navy Dockyard and the museum there, that is likely where your ship will dock so it will be right off the boat.

Something I wish we had done but didn't know it was there until we got back is the Prospero's & Cathedral Caves.  It is supposed to be beautiful and you can go swimming in one of the grotto caves.  https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000292.htm
Good info, thanks

Yeh, with it being nearly due east of Charleston, I've always been frustrated there aren't direct flights there from here.  When this cruise popped up my wife remembered I have talked about that, and suggested we go this way.  I've actually uncovered some genealogy stuff that indicates some of my people came from Bermuda way back.  Trying to learn more before I go.

Neither of us golf.

A ton of people on your ship are going to end up going to Horeshoe Bay Beach.  If you do end up going.... everyone's going to stay within the first 100yds of when they first get on the beach; it'll be crowded.  If you walk a ways to the left and go through the first set of rocks, you'll have the same view with way less people.  There's a little pool/lagoon to the right that lots of people are going to be wading in because the parrot fish swim in there a lot.  Its cool to be up close to those fish.

http://www.bermudahiddengems.com/Home_Page.html  We took that tour and really enjoyed it.  They went way out of their way to make sure we had a good time.  My wife's camera battery died, so the guide drove to her Dad's house to let us borrow his (much nicer) camera so my wife could keep taking pics.  
Good stuff, thanks

The one thing that surprised us on the cruise was the fact that tons of people would go a bit away from the ship during the day, but arranged to be back at the ship for ALL meals. They figured they paid for it, so they better get it all. If you can avoid doing this, do it. Getting on and off the ship can be a PITA. As to your wife's special eating needs, remember that this is a UK territory, where they all speak English. I'm sure if you talk to people, you can get meals adjusted to her needs (hope she likes fish!!)
We were thinking of maybe something to get her through the day, and eating breakfast and dinner back on the ship.  The English speaking aspect will make it easier to ask, good point.  We plan to go to Germany late next year, THAT may a bit more difficult.

We were thinking of maybe something to get her through the day, and eating breakfast and dinner back on the ship.  The English speaking aspect will make it easier to ask, good point.  We plan to go to Germany late next year, THAT may a bit more difficult.
I looked at the lunch menu for one of the resort grill type places when I was making sure I wasn't crazy with the prices I was quoting, and there were gluten free options all over the menu. Think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

All they eat are potatoes and meat, she should be good to go.
Yes and no.  We were there in 2017 before she was diagnosed.  Lots of bread.
Especially when I was in the hospital there ... lots of damn bread.

Not to sidetrack - meat and potatoes are naturally GF, but the preparation (seasoning, rubs, sauces) could not be.  Just as a starter.

The last time we were there we went to the same restaurant 3x in less than a week because while it was really expensive, it was finally really good compared to other places we had been.

we found some good food while we were there, maybe it was because the concierge at the hotel knew what places to recommend to us.
Do either of you remember any restaurant names?

There was an English Tavern at the Royal Navy Dockyard where I got a very good ploughman's lunch.  La Trattoria was the other one I remember good pizza and Italian food in Hamilton.

All I know is that it's one of the most expensive places to go on the planet.  I fail to see the draw over somewhere like t/c. 

Do either of you remember any restaurant names?
Barracuda Grill is the one we went to multiple times. 

Pickled Onion is more of a bar/restaurant that was pretty good. It's right on the main street in Hamilton.

Saw a couple other people liked Lobster Pot but we weren't fans. Could've been an off night though.

(thank you old CC statements for these names)

I was there when I was 7. I'm guessing it's changed a bit since then.

I do remember the Crystal Caves were pretty amazing, as was Horseshoe Beach. The hotel where we stayed (Bermudiana in Hamilton) has since been torn down.

Can't remember much about the food, but the people were super friendly.

Bump. 

Do  you like hiking at all? If so, I think one of the best things to do in Bermuda is hike Blue Hole Park / Tom Moore's Jungle / Walsingham Nature Reserve. It is free (you can pay $200 per person for a tour, but you can get the exact same thing free without the crowd from the tour), can spend a few hours hiking around many caves, down to a beach, jump off a platform into giant water hole, etc. Did it with my family last year, except for few minutes when we bumped into a tour group by the jumping platform, we were basically on our own with nature for hours, exploring. 

Bump

I’ll be visiting Bermuda in a couple months.

Any suggestions on places to eat or things to do?

Users who are viewing this thread