What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redraft Strategy Thread (1 Viewer)

Hawkeye21

Footballguy
I didn't see one started so I thought it would be nice to have one.  I enjoy debating what everyone considers to be the best strategy whether it be zero RB, RB heavy or QB early.

This morning I did a mock draft and one of the guys took 2 QBs and 2 TEs with his first 7 picks.  Only had 2 RBs and 1 WR at that point.  We ended up having a debate on whether that was a good strategy or not.  His defense was that he wanted good back ups at those two positions and felt it was easier to get WRs and RBs off of waivers.  I strongly disagreed.

What strategies are you using this year?

There are many ways to go and they depend on the type of league I am drafting for.  There is no "best" strategy.   I think being flexible on how the draft plays out and adjusting to trends and values is the "best" strategy.  Going in with a Zero RB or RB Heavy or whatever flavor of the month happens to be making the rounds is the best way to have an awful draft.  Things change with players dropping for some reason that you didn't think would be there or you see a run happening or whatever the case.   The key is to be flexible and adjust.  That is the best draft strategy.

What draft slot do you prefer in a snake draft?  I typically hate being in the middle because my drafts always seem to be disjointed.  I can't set up complimentary picks as well and end up with teams I generally don't like as much.  I much prefer to be on an end but I seem to vary on which end I want from year to year.  My gut feel is that I will want to be at the front end this year.  I think the 2-5th rounds have a lot of similar value/talent so getting my pick of the top end guy seems likes the way to go this year.  Thoughts?

I didn't see one started so I thought it would be nice to have one.  I enjoy debating what everyone considers to be the best strategy whether it be zero RB, RB heavy or QB early.

This morning I did a mock draft and one of the guys took 2 QBs and 2 TEs with his first 7 picks.  Only had 2 RBs and 1 WR at that point.  We ended up having a debate on whether that was a good strategy or not.  His defense was that he wanted good back ups at those two positions and felt it was easier to get WRs and RBs off of waivers.  I strongly disagreed.

Usually I am a firm believer in best player available, after accounting for lineup requirements, scoring system, positional scarcity, etc.  I never have followed a "named" strategy.

As far as the Qbs and TEs early...I could actually see doing that in a league full of guppies, like the "yahoo public leagues" of a decade ago.  Back in those days, the knowledge gap was large enough that late round picks consisted of deciding which of my favorite prospects I had room to roster, rather than trying to find a viable reserve.  Locking up two elite TEs, and a strong backup in case of crippling QB injury could make sense in that context.  Of course, a better strategy at that point might be "find a more competitive league."

Can't imagine anyone doing that in a league full of FBGs unless they were vying for next year's #1 pick...

I usually completely punt QB till 12-14 have been taken in snake drafts but this year outside of the top 12 WR's or so and the Top 18 or so RB's there is nothing I like.  If none of those guys are available in the late 3rd early 4th I could see taking Rodgers or Brady there.  

In my auctions this year I am likely looking to blow 70-80% of my budget on 2 of Zeke/Bell/Johnson and cobble together a WR core of $5-1 players.  My calcs show similar value as FBG's on the top 3 RB's and they are likely to go for significantly less than the 50% of cap that they are worth.

There are many ways to go and they depend on the type of league I am drafting for.  There is no "best" strategy.   I think being flexible on how the draft plays out and adjusting to trends and values is the "best" strategy.  Going in with a Zero RB or RB Heavy or whatever flavor of the month happens to be making the rounds is the best way to have an awful draft.  Things change with players dropping for some reason that you didn't think would be there or you see a run happening or whatever the case.   The key is to be flexible and adjust.  That is the best draft strategy.

What draft slot do you prefer in a snake draft?  I typically hate being in the middle because my drafts always seem to be disjointed.  I can't set up complimentary picks as well and end up with teams I generally don't like as much.  I much prefer to be on an end but I seem to vary on which end I want from year to year.  My gut feel is that I will want to be at the front end this year.  I think the 2-5th rounds have a lot of similar value/talent so getting my pick of the top end guy seems likes the way to go this year.  Thoughts?
Hit the nail on the head. The best "strategy" is to be flexible. You can't go in and say "I'm going to take 3 WRs and 2 RBs in the first 5 rounds". You could be passing up on value at other spots and limiting upside by doing that.

Also important to pay attention to how the other teams are drafting. You'll know if you can get ahead of a run on QB/TEs or if you're at the end of a run, go in a different direction.

I agree that being flexible is best.  Rarely do I stick to an exact plan but I do have a general strategy.  I like to take the best RBs and WRs available with my early picks.  I will almost always pass on QB and TE unless a really good TE dropped and I feel they are the best player on my board.  Usually I end up waiting until around the 8th round before I get my QB and TE.

The argument made towards me with waiting to get a QB and only drafting one was what would I do if my QB got hurt early.  I said I wouldn't worry and I'd just pick up the best QB on waivers.  I've found that out of the owners who do draft two QBs that a good amount of them will drop their back up once the bye weeks start because they are scrambling to find RBs and WRs.  This is when I will pick up a guy like Mariota last year or Wilson the year before.

To me roster spots are far too valuable to be wasting them on back up QBs and TEs.

Speaking of redraft, who has done redraft auctions and still actually prefers snake drafting? Snake drafting now feels rigid to me. I like the option of passing on all the first round options or grabbing two... whatever I feel is value. Like I won't absolutely turn down a snake league, but unless I love the settings, I'm probably going to pass. I like to look back at my auctions and see how my picks would match up with snake drafting ADP. I don't think I've ever had a draft where I've had a single player with an ADP in each of the first 4-5 rounds. I usually "trade" a first round selection for several extra 3rd-5th round guys that I feel are undervalued. 

I don't play in any snake drafts any more, all auctions. I still like to mock a couple each year to remember why I don't like them.

Hawkeye21 said:

There's a reason sme fantasy teams go 3-10.

I don't play in any snake drafts any more, all auctions. I still like to mock a couple each year to remember why I don't like them.
I do both but auction is my favorite.  Similar strategies can be used for both, like drafting 2 QBs and 2 TEs.

Last year in my auction league I tried a new strategy.  We have $100 to spend on 10 players and the rest of the roster spots get picked through a snake draft.  I used all $100 on RBs and WRs then picked up my QB and TE right away in the snake portion.  I also skipped drafting a kicker.  Basically I wanted to increase my chances of getting solid RBs and WRs by getting as many as I could.

Speaking of redraft, who has done redraft auctions and still actually prefers snake drafting? Snake drafting now feels rigid to me. I like the option of passing on all the first round options or grabbing two... whatever I feel is value. Like I won't absolutely turn down a snake league, but unless I love the settings, I'm probably going to pass. I like to look back at my auctions and see how my picks would match up with snake drafting ADP. I don't think I've ever had a draft where I've had a single player with an ADP in each of the first 4-5 rounds. I usually "trade" a first round selection for several extra 3rd-5th round guys that I feel are undervalued. 
It's hard to enjoy a snake draft as much after doing auction drafts.  I love that I can make my team how ever I want instead of being limited to my draft position.  Snake drafts are great for when I don't want to focus as much on it and I'm just doing it for fun.  I just find auctions more exciting and require a lot more strategy.

In my attempt to cut down on leagues, I decided to only be in redraft that have live in person drafts. I prefer to do an auction but to do it in person requires too much attention. Even if there's a guy you don't plan on paying a penny for (say Nuk in your case :D  ) you still don't want to get up and leave because it let's everyone know there is one less bidder. I've also found that the boys who burn through most of their budget end up being a distraction for everyone else. At least for me, getting a bunch of friends together to drink beer and talk football just doesn't work well for constant attention that everyone needs to pay to an auction. 

I agree that auctions are better but I am just throwing out my (and maybe others) reason for sticking with the snake draft. Allowing draft day trades can also switch things up if you want to add some flavour to any redraft leagues. 

In my attempt to cut down on leagues, I decided to only be in redraft that have live in person drafts. I prefer to do an auction but to do it in person requires too much attention. Even if there's a guy you don't plan on paying a penny for (say Nuk in your case :D  ) you still don't want to get up and leave because it let's everyone know there is one less bidder. I've also found that the boys who burn through most of their budget end up being a distraction for everyone else. At least for me, getting a bunch of friends together to drink beer and talk football just doesn't work well for constant attention that everyone needs to pay to an auction. 

I agree that auctions are better but I am just throwing out my (and maybe others) reason for sticking with the snake draft. Allowing draft day trades can also switch things up if you want to add some flavour to any redraft leagues. 
Yeah, I couldn't imagine doing an auction in person (unless it's "in person" but everyone is actually sitting around with their laptops using a web interface). 

Switch to a format like my league then.  Only auction a certain amount of players then snake draft.  Cuts down on the amount of time you need to focus and leaves more time for hanging with friends.

I agree that being flexible is best.  Rarely do I stick to an exact plan but I do have a general strategy.  I like to take the best RBs and WRs available with my early picks.  I will almost always pass on QB and TE unless a really good TE dropped and I feel they are the best player on my board.  Usually I end up waiting until around the 8th round before I get my QB and TE.

The argument made towards me with waiting to get a QB and only drafting one was what would I do if my QB got hurt early.  I said I wouldn't worry and I'd just pick up the best QB on waivers.  I've found that out of the owners who do draft two QBs that a good amount of them will drop their back up once the bye weeks start because they are scrambling to find RBs and WRs.  This is when I will pick up a guy like Mariota last year or Wilson the year before.

To me roster spots are far too valuable to be wasting them on back up QBs and TEs.
This is my strategy.  I want to load up on RBs and WRs instead initially but will take a TE or even QB if it is too good to pass.   QB is always last on my list.  

This is my strategy.  I want to load up on RBs and WRs instead initially but will take a TE or even QB if it is too good to pass.   QB is always last on my list.  
Last year other people started realizing I didn't have a QB yet.  They kept telling me I had to take one eventually.  One guy even drafted a second QB thinking he'd get me to trade with him, LOL.  I had the first pick in the snake draft and took Winston.  Then I took Gates as my TE followed up by the Vikings defense.

Switch to a format like my league then.  Only auction a certain amount of players then snake draft.  Cuts down on the amount of time you need to focus and leaves more time for hanging with friends.
There's been lots of talk about options. Like auctioning draft positions, your "half and half" idea, actual cash bids (that would go into the winnings pot), a more breaks at scheduled intervals and some more that I can't think of at the moment. 

For the in person drafts, it's a very enjoyable already and any there's lots of player movement during the season. 

Most of the time I have a strategy going into the draft. I actually think BPA is bad plan. Obviously, you have to stay flexible but I need a plan. QBs late, always (I'm not in any 2QB leagues) is where I start.

I think it's important to look at the draft a whole and just by doing this you'll end up forming a plan. If there's 10 high potential guys late (last 3 rounds) then depending on their positions I will value things different. Also, I am a strong endorser of SuperStars and Flyers. Almost every championship team I've seen has been an absolute powerhouse. And that's difficult to do with the guys that are good but not great. It is a "lucky" pick that sometimes vaults a team to the top as well. 

I know that with all the media coverage and outlets now for FF, just about anyone can walk into a draft with a cheat sheet and be competitive. However, I think we can find value in either avoiding the media hype or completely contradicting it. It's especially bad with expert "sleeper picks" because those players get bumped up so high at times. Same thing with Zero RB or whatever new trend is hot each year. This board is by FAR better for researching players than listening to experts. Sometimes the posts aren't as pleasant to read as an article but the logic and support is usually better. Probably because everyone here is ready to pounce if someone has a weak argument.

Most of the time I have a strategy going into the draft. I actually think BPA is bad plan. Obviously, you have to stay flexible but I need a plan. QBs late, always (I'm not in any 2QB leagues) is where I start.

I think it's important to look at the draft a whole and just by doing this you'll end up forming a plan. If there's 10 high potential guys late (last 3 rounds) then depending on their positions I will value things different. Also, I am a strong endorser of SuperStars and Flyers. Almost every championship team I've seen has been an absolute powerhouse. And that's difficult to do with the guys that are good but not great. It is a "lucky" pick that sometimes vaults a team to the top as well. 

I know that with all the media coverage and outlets now for FF, just about anyone can walk into a draft with a cheat sheet and be competitive. However, I think we can find value in either avoiding the media hype or completely contradicting it. It's especially bad with expert "sleeper picks" because those players get bumped up so high at times. Same thing with Zero RB or whatever new trend is hot each year. This board is by FAR better for researching players than listening to experts. Sometimes the posts aren't as pleasant to read as an article but the logic and support is usually better. Probably because everyone here is ready to pounce if someone has a weak argument.
Trends are a good thing.  Trends are the one thing that can give a person an edge.  When I say this I don't mean it's an edge by following that trend but instead bucking the trend.  A trend will lead others in the same direction and allow you to go the other finding value you normally wouldn't.

Every year I do a few mock drafts each week throughout the off season.  This not only gives me a good feeling of where players are being drafted and valued but it also helps me realize what positions I like more.  The past 4 years I've preferred going with WRs early and often.  Not so much a zero RB strategy but just felt more comfortable using my mid round picks on RBs.

This year I've been noticing that I like RBs much earlier this year than I usually do.  I don't really care for any of the mid round RBs and keep seeing plenty or good WRs.  As always I keep flexible in the early rounds and will take the player I think is best regardless of being a WR or RB.  I have found that waiting for QB and TE is still very easy to do and probably the best option for me.

I play in a snake draft league.  Kinda new at it as this is my 3rd draft.  First year middle of the pack (autodraft I wasn't there).  2nd year league champion (came out of a coma on New years day to set up my lineup).  last place last year ???

I've been doing a lot of mock drafts as the first pick and honestly picking 1, 12, 13, 23, 24 I feel like I should have 3 RBs and 2 WRs or 1WR and one TE.  Seems like the best players through that level are the RBs.  QBs I am hoping for Carr or Winston later.  

I have done more than a few mock drafts like this and seem to get the same caliber players.  I know final rankings depend on preseason and cuts but at this point a typical draft nets me Johnson, Amari, L Miller, Kelce and a solid RB2 in flex like Ware.  After than I try and grab a solid WR2 and QB to round it out.

Rounds after that are all about landing some players I think have a shot at winning a starting role and keeping it.  Like Perine in WAS or the like with a few veterans filled in who I know will offer some production every week.  I am weak in the middle rounds as I simply do not have the football knowledge to know much about some of these players.  Going to be pretty faithful to the DD this year and see where it takes me.

D/ST is later and K I take whatever is left.

That is the strategy.  As Mike Tyson said "strategy is great until you get hit in the mouth"  LOLs

RBs are the key to winning in fantasy football. Always have been and always will be.

Draft accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
RBs are the key to winning in fantasy football. Always have been and always will be.

Draft accordingly.
The problem is trying to find who the main guys will be.  They aren't as easy to find as they once seemed to be.  This was why I preferred picking multiple RBs in the middle rounds while I used the first rounds to load up on stud WRs.  My hopes were to find one or two RBs that were surprises like we see every year.  That, or I pick a bunch of RBs who can catch since I'm in a PPR league.  Guys like Riddick.

Most years I've always preferred to have a pick in the middle of the draft but this year I'd much prefer to have a top 3 pick.  As for auctions I feel I'm going to have to get over my fear of spending on RBs.  I got burned by Charles years ago and really struggle spending the largest chunk of my budget on a RB.  I've always gotten more value from my WRs in the past.

RBs early and often this year. I'm doing a MFL10 right now and in round 5 it's already scraps. Too many teams have a time share or complete mess in their back field. Since it's a best ball league I should be able to throw enough darts later in the draft but in a normal league where starters need to be set every week, I would not be happy with my outlook. 

Draft accordingly.
I think the pendulum has swung back to RBs this year. Looking at my leagues last season, the teams that won were generally pretty strong at RB. In one, the guy that won basically had David Johnson, Jordy Nelson, and then a bunch of spare parts like Dontrelle Inman. If you can grab Johnson, Bell, or Elliott early, you should feel good about your team.

I think the pendulum has swung back to RBs this year. Looking at my leagues last season, the teams that won were generally pretty strong at RB. In one, the guy that won basically had David Johnson, Jordy Nelson, and then a bunch of spare parts like Dontrelle Inman. If you can grab Johnson, Bell, or Elliott early, you should feel good about your team.
Yeah I admit I fell into the WR craze last year, but they (we) were wrong.

Position scarcity FTW.

In most leagues, you can pick up a startable WR on Sunday morning. Can't do that at RB unless you get extremely lucky.

Yeah I admit I fell into the WR craze last year, but they (we) were wrong.

Position scarcity FTW.

In most leagues, you can pick up a startable WR on Sunday morning. Can't do that at RB unless you get extremely lucky.
I always liked going WR early so when the zero RB craze hit it really messed up my strategy.  I plan on going more RB heavy this year but I'm afraid so is everyone else.  I'll just have to go with what's given me I guess.

There was some discussion of VBD and other strategies happening here

This is a better thread for it and maybe we can continue the conversation...

The problem is trying to find who the main guys will be.  They aren't as easy to find as they once seemed to be.  This was why I preferred picking multiple RBs in the middle rounds while I used the first rounds to load up on stud WRs.  My hopes were to find one or two RBs that were surprises like we see every year.  That, or I pick a bunch of RBs who can catch since I'm in a PPR league.  Guys like Riddick.

Most years I've always preferred to have a pick in the middle of the draft but this year I'd much prefer to have a top 3 pick.  As for auctions I feel I'm going to have to get over my fear of spending on RBs.  I got burned by Charles years ago and really struggle spending the largest chunk of my budget on a RB.  I've always gotten more value from my WRs in the past.
same boat here.  WR over RB as far as staying healthy.  IMO

My big money league is an auction PPR, and I am going to do everything in my power to get Bell and DJ, even if it leaves with me $1 players at every other spot.  I feel good about my ability to find talent on the waiver wire and those two give such a huge advantage 

My big money league is an auction PPR, and I am going to do everything in my power to get Bell and DJ, even if it leaves with me $1 players at every other spot.  I feel good about my ability to find talent on the waiver wire and those two give such a huge advantage 
That is a ballsy move and I'm not sure you will be able to pull it off, but I applaud that balls out move. 

Draft accordingly.
In one of my locals last yr I took Gurley at 10 and Lamar at 15 on the way back. I was pretty darn happy with myself.

Didn't work out so good :lol:

That's a very bold strategy.  Sounds like a complete boom or bust season.  Risky but could pay off.

Users who are viewing this thread