What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (3 Viewers)

Breida is tough as nails, and a solid performer
Yep.  He tried to play through the ankle injury last year when he should have been sitting.  Guy is a gamer

Very good runner.  5.3 a carry on over 150 carries, so not a small sample size.  Was over 6 for most of the season until the ankle injury slowed him down.  Also worked really hard on his receiving after his rookie year.  Had 6 drops in 2017 and zero in 2018.

ESPN's Nick Wagoner said Matt Breida has been used "all over the place" at 49ers training camp.

Breida has taken advantage of Jerick McKinnon's continued absence, impressing in practice with his dual rushing and receiving ability. The versatile 24-year-old has even seen work as a kick returner. Newcomer Tevin Coleman is still the early favorite to lead San Francisco's backfield, though Breida, who ranked fourth in the league in yards per carry last year (5.3), doesn't seem to be going away.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Aug 2, 2019, 4:05 PM ET

from Wiki:

2018: Breida began the season as backup to Alfred Morris, but out-gained the veteran with 46 yards in the season opening loss to the Minnesota Vikings.[21] He started for the first time in his career in Week 2 against the Detroit Lions,[22] and finished with a career-high 138 rushing yards (which also led the NFL in Week 2[23]) and a touchdown as the 49ers won 30–27. His 66-yard touchdown in the third quarter was second only to Colin Kaepernick's 90-yarder in 2014 for the longest run by a 49er since 2009.[24]Frequently hampered by minor injuries,[25][26] Breida split carries with veterans Morris and Raheem Mostert. Though he had 90 yards the following game against Kansas City, he averaged 11 carries for just 43 yards over the next six games, losing the NFL lead in yards per attempt to Detroit's Kerryon Johnson and Cleveland's Nick Chubb in Week 8.[27] He rebounded with a 17-carry, 101-yard performance in a Week 10 loss to the New York Giants,[22] and in his Week 11 return to the Tampa area, Breida recorded 106 yards on 14 rushes to move back to second in the NFL (behind Green Bay's Aaron Jones) with 5.8 yards-per-carry, and added 34 receiving yards.[28] In Week 13 against the Seattle Seahawks, Breida had three receptions for 51 yards, but only five rushes for six yards before suffering an injury, and missing the next game.[29] He returned two weeks later again in the second divisional game against the Seattle Seahawks, and recorded 96 yards-from-scrimmage in the win.[30] In Week 16, against the Chicago Bears, he had just four rushes for 20 yards before again suffering an ankle injury, which placed him on injured reserve for the rest of the season.[31][32] Despite numerous health problems, Breida led the injury-plagued 4–12 49ers with 814 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns, and was second on the team only to NFL-record-setter George Kittle with 1,075 yards-from-scrimmage.[33] His 5.3 yards per attempt was fourth among qualified NFL rushers.[34]

11-43 thru 6 games, meat of the schedule and he stinks it up. ! oft-injured , too up and down for most GMs. good spot-start RB but not an every week fantasy starter,  he's not even a consistent flex player.

disclaimer: I had him last year. It was frustrating  as hell to own him ,put him in, he wets the bed. keep him out of your lineup he goes nuts, 14-148-2td.

no thanks, let someone take the bait.

from Wiki:

2018: Breida began the season as backup to Alfred Morris, but out-gained the veteran with 46 yards in the season opening loss to the Minnesota Vikings.[21] He started for the first time in his career in Week 2 against the Detroit Lions,[22] and finished with a career-high 138 rushing yards (which also led the NFL in Week 2[23]) and a touchdown as the 49ers won 30–27. His 66-yard touchdown in the third quarter was second only to Colin Kaepernick's 90-yarder in 2014 for the longest run by a 49er since 2009.[24]Frequently hampered by minor injuries,[25][26] Breida split carries with veterans Morris and Raheem Mostert. Though he had 90 yards the following game against Kansas City, he averaged 11 carries for just 43 yards over the next six games, losing the NFL lead in yards per attempt to Detroit's Kerryon Johnson and Cleveland's Nick Chubb in Week 8.[27] He rebounded with a 17-carry, 101-yard performance in a Week 10 loss to the New York Giants,[22] and in his Week 11 return to the Tampa area, Breida recorded 106 yards on 14 rushes to move back to second in the NFL (behind Green Bay's Aaron Jones) with 5.8 yards-per-carry, and added 34 receiving yards.[28] In Week 13 against the Seattle Seahawks, Breida had three receptions for 51 yards, but only five rushes for six yards before suffering an injury, and missing the next game.[29] He returned two weeks later again in the second divisional game against the Seattle Seahawks, and recorded 96 yards-from-scrimmage in the win.[30] In Week 16, against the Chicago Bears, he had just four rushes for 20 yards before again suffering an ankle injury, which placed him on injured reserve for the rest of the season.[31][32] Despite numerous health problems, Breida led the injury-plagued 4–12 49ers with 814 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns, and was second on the team only to NFL-record-setter George Kittle with 1,075 yards-from-scrimmage.[33] His 5.3 yards per attempt was fourth among qualified NFL rushers.[34]

11-43 thru 6 games, meat of the schedule and he stinks it up. ! oft-injured , too up and down for most GMs. good spot-start RB but not an every week fantasy starter,  he's not even a consistent flex player.

disclaimer: I had him last year. It was frustrating  as hell to own him ,put him in, he wets the bed. keep him out of your lineup he goes nuts, 14-148-2td.

no thanks, let someone take the bait.
You cherry-picked his worst 6 game stretch and he still averaged 4 ypc over that span.  Your criticisms would be valid if he were being picked in rounds 3-6.  He  currently has a 12th round adp.

You cherry-picked his worst 6 game stretch and he still averaged 4 ypc over that span.  Your criticisms would be valid if he were being picked in rounds 3-6.  He  currently has a 12th round adp.
Let’s also not forget Tevin didn’t exactly light the world on fire in his featured role last year. At least Breida had an excuse; there were some games he probably shouldn’t have played, but did anyway and ended up not being able to finish. But when he was healthy, he was electric. Give me Breida over Coleman all day at their current adps. 

Let’s also not forget Tevin didn’t exactly light the world on fire in his featured role last year. At least Breida had an excuse; there were some games he probably shouldn’t have played, but did anyway and ended up not being able to finish. But when he was healthy, he was electric. Give me Breida over Coleman all day at their current adps. 
My guess is that Tevin is penciled in for 50% of snaps.  He isn't big and he has sickle cell trait.  Tevin isn't cut out to be a workhorse.  Breida could do a lot if he gets the other 50% of snaps.  San Fran should have a much more potent offense.  Hopefully, Breida's receiving numbers increase.  He only had more than 3 receptions in one game last year despite having PFF's highest receiving grade of any running back.  Mostert is also a concern since he also looked electric last year.  It could end up being a full blown 3 headed RBBC.  But I'm not worried about any of the risks at Breida's adp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Breida is one of best values at his current ADP. Over 1000 yards from scrimmage last season, and going in the12th round. It's absurd. Coleman won't steals those productive touches away from Breida.

Matt Breida is one of best values at his current ADP. Over 1000 yards from scrimmage last season, and going in the12th round. It's absurd. Coleman won't steals those productive touches away from Breida.
While the first three sentences are true to a degree (agree on his value with McKinnon being underrated, and he did top 1K all purpose), they are not mutually exclusive from the last sentence.

Breida looked good, but he started the season behind a washed out Morris and an ineffectual journeyman Raheem Mostert. To his credit, he ran well even though hampered by injury, but his competition this year -- 3rd round/unanimous All-American/All Big Ten/Heisman nominee Tevin Coleman, who has been super solid in all aspects of the game in his career -- is a much different caliber of competition.

Not saying they won't split work or that Breida can't do well in a committee, or even that it's unthinkable he pulls away as the starter with the majority of carries.

But Coleman is pretty well-rounded and he's the pony I'd be more comfortable backing. 

Breida was the #1 RB in practice again today. :banned:

But it was good and bad.

KNBR 680 Sports had a quick sideline interview after practice with 49ers RB coach Robert Turner... Asked about all the passing work Breida has gotten this year in practice, including today's first score by the first team offense, he responded (paraphrase) "His effectiveness is obvious. We're expecting double the catches and targets this year."

📊 That would put him in Freeman's neighborhood.

Also, RB Matt Breida was stripped by LB Fred Warner on the teams very first running play of practice, Warner also recovered it.  :bag:
Boy people have been asleep at the wheel. Always could get injured or just not live up to things but I’ve been pulling him at almost 50% clip in draft best balls. I can’t recall a time I’ve ever seen a back younger than age 30 break 1,000 yds in a season and go so late the following year.

Matt Breida rushed seven times for 44 yards in the 49ers' third preseason game, adding two receptions for 31 yards and a touchdown.

While Breida was generating 75 yards on nine touches, Tevin Coleman could manage only 21 on 10. The two were working in an even committee. For his 20-yard touchdown grab, Breida lined up in the slot before making a diving catch in the end zone. At the very least, Breida will open the season as an all-purpose weapon out of coach Kyle Shanahan's backfield. He could end up leading it for the second-consecutive year. Being drafted as a mid-range RB4, Breida is looking like a steal.

Aug 25, 2019, 12:06 AM ET

Everyone seems to forget this guy gets hurt when the wind blows. Hell be off the field after 1 series in the opening game. 

Everyone seems to forget this guy gets hurt when the wind blows. Hell be off the field after 1 series in the opening game. 
Ya, except he plays through all the injuries. Where did this perception come from? Guy may have had a lot of injuries but it’s caused him to miss very minimal time. He started 13 of 16 games last year. 10 of those games he has >12 touches, 4 of those games he had > 15 touches. In 2017 he played in all 16 games and had >12 touches in 6 games. 

His usage and the fact that the guy ahead of him is Tevin Coleman means I am all for nabbing him at his current 110+ ADP

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

#49ers RB Jerick McKinnon had what one source described as a “flare-up” yesterday in his surgically repaired knee. Team now gathering more information before deciding next steps. Per @knbrmurph, GM John Lynch said on radio the setback was “not encouraging.”

Evan Silva @evansilva

Sounds like McKinnon is indeed probably headed to IR.

Don’t forget to leave your draft with Matt “American Express” Breida.

I went zero rb, penny was my 1st back in round 7, Breida was my 2nd in the 8th, I’m thrilled, obviously it’s a gamble. But he should be able to pass Coleman, Coleman isn’t good. Look at last year when he had his chance, it wasn’t pretty.

The 49ers' "unofficial" depth chart lists Matt Breida as the team's No. 1 running back over Tevin Coleman.

Teams go to great lengths to discredit these — which they are required to release — but it's still an eyebrow raiser. Breida did outplay Coleman this summer, earning better practice reviews and looking springier on the preseason gridiron. Whatever the official listing, the two are beginning the year in a "1A" and "1B" situation. Coleman might still theoretically have the higher floor, but Breida certainly offers more ceiling.

RELATED: 

Tevin Coleman

Sep 3, 2019, 4:37 PM ET

He somehow went undrafted in our local league. I scooped him up earlier this week. I’ll target him in my remaining draft as well. Sure he’s an injury risk, but as mentioned, every running back is. In PPR I think he’s likely to produce high RB2 numbers. Fire him up! 

Missed him by 2 spots in the 8th round of our 14 teamer. Have tried to make a deal for him but unfortunately the guy knows what he has. 

He reminds me of a smaller version of Frank Gore.  Great vision and feel for the game. Worked  really hard on his pass catching skills after he struggled his rookie year.  Amazing he didn’t get drafted.  

Totally unsurprised to find Breida atop the RB depth chart. He's consistently outworked other players there since he was UDFA. I'm excited (and cautiously optimistic) for a full season without injury. SoD candidate before McKinnon was IR'd and that's even more likely with Coleman once again playing the Coleman role to Breida's Freeman role.

Totally unsurprised to find Breida atop the RB depth chart. He's consistently outworked other players there since he was UDFA. I'm excited (and cautiously optimistic) for a full season without injury. SoD candidate before McKinnon was IR'd and that's even more likely with Coleman once again playing the Coleman role to Breida's Freeman role.
The depth charts are done by PR dept from what I understand.

the coaches don’t get involved in the depth charts posted on teams websites.

in other words they mean nothing.

”The public depth charts are set by the public relations staff, not the coaches.”

Didn’t watch the game but his stat line from yesterday was unusually poor. Any thoughts on how he actually looked yesterday and why the stats weren’t there given the opportunity he had? 

I have to think Breida's time to shine is now. This is the exact situation owners hoped to see him in.

That said, I still think the team is going to give Mostert carries, just as they would have if McKinnon and/or Coleman were healthy.

Bredia should command the lion's share I'd think, but Mostert actually looked solid last year before fracturing his arm, and the team signed him to a 3-year deal so it's not like the team views him as expendable depth. 

Will be interesting to see how the 49ers use Mostert, especially on 3rd and short/inside the 10, given he's slightly taller/heavier than Breida.

Matt Breida rushed 12 times for 121 yards in the 49ers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

With Tevin Coleman out, Breida started and was the featured back in a three-man committee. He saw fewer carries than Raheem Mostert, but that was set up by gameflow in the blowout win. Breida has always been effective when given an expanded role, averaging 5.3 YPC in 13 starts for Jerick McKinnon last year. The 49ers went with Jeff Wilson as their goal-line back, so Breida's touchdown upside looks limited. Still, Breida is in the RB2 mix for a matchup with the Steelers in Week 3.
Guy always produces, just needs to stay healthy.

starks said:
Breida sit down. You on the practice squad...get up here and rush for two short yardage touchdowns. 
Pretty much - Shanahan's game plan seemed predicated on punishing as many fantasy owners as possible.

-QG

Am done with him now.  Thought I had a starter for a few weeks until Coleman returned.  Looking like Coleman's injury is the worst thing that could have happened as I have now started him twice.  Never again!

Users who are viewing this thread