What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (1 Viewer)

Am done with him now.  Thought I had a starter for a few weeks until Coleman returned.  Looking like Coleman's injury is the worst thing that could have happened as I have now started him twice.  Never again!
Wilson is the goal line back. Seems like Breida is only going to score on long TDs unfortunately. I have him as RB3 and haven't had to start him yet. 

Medium floor low ceiling. He needs to bust a big one in order to hit paydirt. It hasn't been as much fun as I thought it would 
Yeah. It’s kind of a nightmare of a three-headed RB monster, which is about to become a four headed monster when Coleman is back. Just can’t rely on the guy and I’m thinking about moving on. Idk. Is everyone holding on? 

Yeah. It’s kind of a nightmare of a three-headed RB monster, which is about to become a four headed monster when Coleman is back. Just can’t rely on the guy and I’m thinking about moving on. Idk. Is everyone holding on? 
You can't drop him... too much talent. The dude is averaging over 5.5 yards per carry, and it's not a fluke. But, I'm trying to trade him to the team in my league with Damien Williams since I also have Darrel Williams and want to just insure a piece of that backfield.

Jeff Wilson will probably not be active when Coleman comes back. Coleman would be the goal line back. 

The problem with Breida is that he's basically a between the twenty's type of player. He's not getting the quality touches even though he looks great. He's a consistent but low end flex for now unless they change things coming out of the bye.

Jeff Wilson will probably not be active when Coleman comes back. Coleman would be the goal line back. 

The problem with Breida is that he's basically a between the twenty's type of player. He's not getting the quality touches even though he looks great. He's a consistent but low end flex for now unless they change things coming out of the bye.
Owning a Shanahan RB is an exercise in patience, managing expectations, and accepting disappointment.

Have to hold any rb averaging a dozen touches a game imo 

I own Breida, and Coleman was just dropped (and interestingly enough, the guy that dropped Coleman kept Mostert).

I can't burn two roster spots on this mess of a backfield, can I?

I own Breida, and Coleman was just dropped (and interestingly enough, the guy that dropped Coleman kept Mostert).

I can't burn two roster spots on this mess of a backfield, can I?
I would grab Tevin if you could and see how it shakes out after a week. 

I think Coleman should be the odd man out from what we have seen from Breida, Mostart, and Wilson. With that said, I am sure he is going to get some carries, just not sure at whose expense. 

I think Coleman should be the odd man out from what we have seen from Breida, Mostart, and Wilson. With that said, I am sure he is going to get some carries, just not sure at whose expense. 
I have a feeling that Wilson will be the odd man out.   Coleman can get his 12-14 touches and handle the goal-line work.   

I have a feeling that Wilson will be the odd man out.   Coleman can get his 12-14 touches and handle the goal-line work.   
That will probably happen, but from my perspective it is one of those if it is not broken, don't fix it situations. 

Are we liking Coleman over Breida going forward? 
I love Breida and think he’s a great player, but I have a feeling Tevin is going to be the back to own moving forward. I think Wilson goes back to a zero, and Mostert gets sprinkled in occasionally. 60-40 or 65-35 split with Tevin and Breida, with Tevin getting the majority of the goaline touches. I hate it for Breida, and perhaps I’m wrong, but that’s just how I see it.

Yep, it’s a puzzle as to what to do with him.  Possibly wait for a game where he busts out a big run grabs a TD, then package him up with another player and try and trade for a starter to improve your team is what I’m thinking 

I also think that Coleman will get the majority of touches when he returns, with a sprinkling of Breida and Mostert. Wilson IMO will go back to being inactive.

Recall that Shanahan and Co. went out and got Coleman when they already had the other three rostered. Seems like Coleman is their guy until he proves otherwise/gets hurt again.

I also think that Coleman will get the majority of touches when he returns, with a sprinkling of Breida and Mostert. Wilson IMO will go back to being inactive.

Recall that Shanahan and Co. went out and got Coleman when they already had the other three rostered. Seems like Coleman is their guy until he proves otherwise/gets hurt again.
I read a quote somewhere, I think from Shanahan, saying they really had no intention to sign Coleman but he ended up being too cheap to pass on.

I read a quote somewhere, I think from Shanahan, saying they really had no intention to sign Coleman but he ended up being too cheap to pass on.
Yeah, that was a team-friendly contract for sure, and teams that need an RB still need one somehow, even at rock bottom prices. 

Matt Breida rushed 11 times for 114 yards and one touchdown and caught all three of his targets for 15 yards and a second touchdown in the 49ers' 31-3, Week 5 win over the Browns Monday night.

Breida opened the 49ers' first drive with an 83-yard touchdown run after the Browns quickly fizzled out on their opening possession. Breida went untouched up the left side behind perfect blocks from Kyle Juszczyk and George Kittle. Breida reached 22.3 MPH on the play, the fastest among any player this season. He then capped the next drive with a short touchdown catch. The 49ers did whatever they wanted on the ground in this one, as Tevin Coleman also got in on the fun with 97 yards and a touchdown of his own on 15 carries in his first game back from a high-ankle sprain. It was mostly a two-man backfield, refreshingly, and both backs will be RB2/3 plays next week against the Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...price check then...what value would you assign Matty boy at?
Redraft PPR only:

If going to deal him, probably anything short of the top half dozen-ish RB and WR (Or any QB/TE if you're hurting there). Find a team weak at RB with a poor record and use the fact he's past his bye week to your advantage.

I'd throw almost anything out there after tonight's national TV performance. 

If he could get the touches he could have a Jamaal Charles like stat line (without the ACL injuries hopefully), but he will never get the touches. 

If he could get the touches he could have a Jamaal Charles like stat line (without the ACL injuries hopefully), but he will never get the touches. 
This is spot on.

Charles had 329, 334 and 269 touches during his 3 year run.  He had 5.4 yards per carry and 8.2 yards per catch

Breida has 15, 13, 16 and 14 touches in his first 4 games, which is pace for 232 touches.  (That's almost the exact same as last year before the ankle injury.) He's averaged 5.2 per rush and 9.0 per catch.

If breida ends up with 208 carries and 24 receptions (his current pace) at his career numbers (his 6.5 yards per carry this year is inflated by his 83 yard run last night), he should be around 1100 rushing and 216 receiving. 1300 total yards and almost any number of touchdowns is a good rb2. 

What i really like is that he's tied to Shanahan, whose zbs is ideal for his style, a good o line, kittle who is a phenomenal blocker, and juice check. He's also only 24. 

What i really don't like is that they use other guys on the goal line. But seeing him come in on third and goal from the 5 last night and making the touchdown catch was a really good sign.  I also don't like the depth at rb - if Coleman gets hurt, breida doesn't suddenly get 25 touches a game, he just splits with someone else.  But i like that his role seems very clearly defined - good rushing and receiving volume, but not quite elite. 

What's interesting to me is that they didn't stop using him in the second half of a blowout.  He's not the kind of back you'd expect to grind down a defense in a win. But he still got his touches and that's a really good sign going forward.  

For redraft i like him as a plug and play rb2 with a little upside.  Even better as a matchup play.  For dynasty, he's the kind of guy you'd rather have as your rb3 (or rb2 on a wr heavy team) but i think there's enough chance that he breaks out further in the next couple years that I'd probably value him as a late first round 2020 pick or mid first in a weaker draft. 

Is he rb2 value going forward?
I think he is more a low end flex option with boom upside. Coleman is the more talented back and will probably earn more touches. Breida is talented but I fear he isn't gonna get enough high value touches. I was expecting 8-10 fantasy points from him last night but fortunately got one of his boom games. The good news is that there is nothing scary about their schedule the rest of the way. 

So what do we think losing Kyle Juczyzc (sorry Kyle) for 4-6 weeks does to our man Breida?
run game is legit but Kyle is big for their run offense. Breida is still a mostly every week start, but there will be ups and downs with Coleman back, who looked quite good himself

Dynasty standard scoring, I just traded a low first next season for Breida and Auden Tate.
I'd take the 1.12 in a second for him. I love the player but he's just an emergency start on my roster. I'd like to moan about Shanahan and his RBBC but the team is doing great like this and see no reason for them to change it, hence only 83yd TD runs are going to boost his scoring.

I'd take the 1.12 in a second for him. I love the player but he's just an emergency start on my roster. I'd like to moan about Shanahan and his RBBC but the team is doing great like this and see no reason for them to change it, hence only 83yd TD runs are going to boost his scoring.
Agree with this.  On a different team in a different situation, he would carry more value, but what they are doing is not broken and is in no need of fixing.  When Coleman was down, Wilson was stealing points.  Mostert looks great at times too.  I cant bring myself to put him in over Freeman, Gurley, or Mixon, all of whom are complete and utter disappointments so far.  Too much risk of a 7 carry for 20 yard, 2 catch for 12 yard day - although those guys listed above carry a similar floor, so sadly it does remain tempting.

Breida averages over 14 touches per game with his receptions rising every game. With the added benefit of having the speed to house one every time he touches the ball. 

Owning Breida and Coleman on a team leading the NFL doesn’t feel great.

Just turns into your own internal WDIS battle every week.

Matt Breida rushed 13 times for 36 yards in the 49ers' Week 6 win over the Rams.

He added four catches for 27 yards on four targets. Breida received five fewer carries than Tevin Coleman (18-45-1), but neither back had a whole lot of success on the ground from an efficiency standpoint. Breida and Coleman will both be strong RB2 options next week against the Redskins.

not even sure why i own this guy.  had 2 RBs on bye this week and still started Chris Thompson over him (though I suppose I wouldn't have without that epically insane matchup vs. MIA) because I just can't trust the Shanahanigans.  I guess I'll keep him just in case there is another injury, but man.

not even sure why i own this guy.  had 2 RBs on bye this week and still started Chris Thompson over him (though I suppose I wouldn't have without that epically insane matchup vs. MIA) because I just can't trust the Shanahanigans.  I guess I'll keep him just in case there is another injury, but man.
What Shanahanigans?  The situation seems pretty well defined.  Both Breida and Coleman are getting double-digit touches.  Breida more between the 20s, Coleman more RZ/GL.

Wilson was the guy mucking everything up, but so long as he's inactive I think the script is clear.

Both Freeman and Coleman were playable when Shanahan was in ATL, feels similar here.

Users who are viewing this thread