What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (2 Viewers)

What Shanahanigans?  The situation seems pretty well defined.  Both Breida and Coleman are getting double-digit touches.  Breida more between the 20s, Coleman more RZ/GL.

Wilson was the guy mucking everything up, but so long as he's inactive I think the script is clear.

Both Freeman and Coleman were playable when Shanahan was in ATL, feels similar here.
you're right, i'm just being salty

I'd take the 1.12 in a second for him. I love the player but he's just an emergency start on my roster. I'd like to moan about Shanahan and his RBBC but the team is doing great like this and see no reason for them to change it, hence only 83yd TD runs are going to boost his scoring.
Really?  The 11th or 12th pick in next years draft is somehow going to be worth more than Matt Breida in dynasty?  Have you seen this kid play?

Really?  The 11th or 12th pick in next years draft is somehow going to be worth more than Matt Breida in dynasty?  Have you seen this kid play?
Yeah.  Brieda’s touches are capped.  He’s explosive but low upside due to limited touches.  I’d much rather gamble on 11-12 rookie pick.  

It's like you've never seen a Shanahan running game in action. I love watching Breida--but he could turn into nothing at any moment. That's why his value lags behind how he looks. Never mind that even when there's injuries he doesn't really fill a bellcow role because everyone in that running game looks good and can produce. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
It's like you've never seen a Shanahan running game in action. I love watching Breida--but he could turn into nothing at any moment. That's why his value lags behind how he looks. Never mind that even when there's injuries he doesn't really fill a bellcow role because everyone in that running game looks good and can produce. 
This. We all love the kid and see the talent but his situation was never going to get better than week 1 this season with Coleman and McKinnon out and he was still in a brutal timeshare with future foot locker employees and without the goal line carries. 

Pretty interesting "From the Gut" article today. Took a deep dive on the topic of starting both Breida and Coleman. Definitely got me thinking about it.

Matt Breida had eight carries for 35 yards in Week 7 against the Redskins.

Breida missed a good portion of the second half getting evaluated for a concussion. He eventually returned but ended up with just nine touches. Breida started and played in a near even timeshare with Tevin Coleman before exiting. He'll be a FLEX play for Week 8 against the Panthers.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Matt Breida (ankle) will be active for Thursday's game against the Cardinals.

Per Fowler, Breida "felt good this AM so good to go." A true terminator, Breida is always on the injury report but almost never sits. His presence at less than 100 percent on a short week makes the 49ers' backfield more difficult to forecast, though Tevin Coleman remains a high-end RB2. With Raheem Mostert (knee) highly questionable, Jeff Wilson maintains desperation FLEX appeal. For his part, Breida is a high-risk, moderate-reward FLEX.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 2:27 PM ET

Matt Breida rushed 15 times for 78 yards in the 49ers' Week 9 win over the Cardinals, adding two receptions for 14 additional yards.

Supposedly highly questionable with an ankle injury, Breida instead led the 49ers' backfield committee, out-touching Tevin Coleman 17-15 and out-gaining him 92-36. Breida was the far more explosive player this evening, ripping chunk gains and appearing deadly with an inch of space. The Cardinals were lucky Breida didn't break free for even more big plays. Coleman, meanwhile, simply couldn't find any running room. After a month of Coleman steadily taking command of the Niners' running back room, we almost find ourselves back at square one. Breida will be an upside RB2/FLEX for Week 10 against the Seahawks.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:56 PM ET

Matt Breida (ankle) remained limited at Friday's practice.

Breida played through his ankle injury last week, out-touching Tevin Coleman and playing 39 percent of snaps. The 49ers are managing his reps ahead of Monday night's game with Seattle.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Nov 8, 2019, 6:20 PM ET

Matt Breida rushed 10 times for 18 yards and caught 2-of-2 targets for seven yards in the 49ers' Week 10 loss to the Seahawks.

Breida left in the second half after re-injuring his ankle and never returned to the game. He was on the injury report during the practice week with an ankle issue but wasn't listed on the final report Saturday. On a short week, it will be a challenge for Breida to get ready for Week 11 against the Cardinals, though he routinely plays through ailments. Raheem Mostert filled in for him with 35 yards on seven touches alongside Tevin Coleman.

Nov 12, 2019, 12:33 AM ET

Does this guy leave every single game injured? Only then to practiced every day on a limited basis? And then end up starting the next game and screwing up Coleman's value.

He's Rasputin.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Matt Breida (ankle) "may miss some time."

Breida will get a second opinion after re-spraining his ankle Monday night. This doesn't sound like too bad of a setback, but it puts his Week 11 status in jeopardy. Breida has a history of playing through injuries — he played most of 2018 at less than 100 percent — but the 49ers may want him rested for their stretch run. Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson would see expanded roles if Breida misses time.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 12, 2019, 1:43 PM ET

This dude is soft as hell.  Leaves every game with little boo boos.  Then plays next week only to bail again.

tin man ala Ryan Mathews.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Matt Breida (ankle) is expected to miss 1-2 weeks.

Breida aggravated a low-ankle sprain in the Monday night loss to the Seahawks. Raheem Mostert should slide right into his 1B role next to Tevin Coleman, making Mostert a worthwhile FLEX option for desperate fantasy owners looking for 8-10 touches.

Matt Breida (ankle) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

As expected. Breida will reportedly be sidelined for "1-2 weeks" while his re-aggravated low-ankle sprain heals. Raheem Mostert should slide right into his 1B role next to Tevin Coleman, as the former did on 35 percent of San Francisco's snaps in the team's first three games behind Breida while Coleman healed. Fantasy players should expect to be without Breida until the 49ers' Week 13 contest against Baltimore.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Nov 13, 2019, 5:50 PM ET

I had to drop him, too many guys off, Montgomery possibly injured I couldn't hold him anymore.. oh well this was the week I wanted to use him.. bummer...

Matt Breida (ankle) is inactive for Week 11 against the Cardinals.

George Kittle (knee, ankle) and Robbie Gould (quad) are also inactive after all three were listed as doubtful. Raheem Mostert is good to go as the sidekick for Tevin Coleman. Joining the inactives for the Niners are QB C.J. Beathard, LB Azeez Al-Shaair, LT Joe Staley, and DL D.J. Jones.
HE'S OUT GUYS!!!

Matt Breida (ankle) is doubtful for the 49ers' Week 12 matchup against the Packers.

Tevin Coleman and Raheem Mostert formed a two-RB committee with Breida sidelined last week. And yet, Jeff Wilson wound up with the most fantasy points among the trio by catching a game-winning 25-yard touchdown on his only snap of the game. The 49ers boast the league's second-ranked scoring offense and run the ball more than anybody. Continue to fire up whoever happens to be their top-two RBs as low-end RB2s on a weekly basis. That would be Coleman and Mostert in Week 12 if Breida remains sidelined.

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 4:58 PM ET

Breida a sneaky play coming down the stretch and into the playoffs fresh?

I see footballguys have him ranked fairly high FLEX wise moving forward.

Perhaps a sneaky pick up on the waiver wire before others catch on??? Or an injured player who is fools gold?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Matt Breida (ankle) is expected to play in Week 13 against the Ravens.

Breida's return will presumably push Raheem Mostert back to the bench barring a re-aggravation. Tevin Coleman will continue leading San Francisco's run-happy attack as a low-end RB2, as he's done on 54.7 percent of the team's snaps since returning to their starting lineup in Week 6. Breida adds explosiveness against Baltimore's No. 25 rush defense DVOA but warrants FLEX consideration at best since negative game script — what the Ravens have forced onto their opponents with ease for three consecutive games — would ultimately take him off the field.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 1, 2019, 12:02 AM ET

Scheffter just doubled back and said Breida not playing. Just got an alert.
Well, that's okay for our team. I like the idea of a fresh Breida coming down the stretch to plug in at Flex if needed.

Now waiting for the official designation OUT tag to put him in the IR spot on Yahoo so I can pick up a second D/ST either GB or LAC.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said he's "optimistic" Matt Breida (ankle) returns in Week 14.

Breida was reportedly expected to suit up in Week 13, but was ultimately sidelined once again. Raheem Mostert balled out and worked well ahead of Tevin Coleman last week, but the two RBs formed more of a 50/50 committee in Weeks 11-12. Jeff Wilson continues to siphon away a few snaps and touches per game. Adding Breida to this mess would only further lower the floor of everyone involved. Wilson would likely be the odd man out, but touches could be hard to come by in this potential three-RB committee.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Dec 2, 2019, 3:43 PM ET

Matt Breida (ankle) is practicing Wednesday.

Breida practiced last week on a limited basis but missed another game. He's expected to rejoin the rotation this Sunday in New Orleans, though it's anybody's guess as to how this backfield shakes out after Tevin Coleman was essentially benched last week in favor of Raheem Mostert. None are more than RB3 dart throws.

SOURCE: Eric Branch on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 1:39 PM ET

Breida's status changed from OUT last week to QUESTIONABLE on Monday to HEALTHY Wednesday afternoon.

Breida 60 and Mostert 30 with a little Coleman 8 and Wilson 2?

or most likely

Mostert 65 / Breida 25 / Coleman 8 / Wilson 2.

Matt Breida rushed six times for 54 yards and caught his lone target for four yards in the 49ers' Week 12 win over the Saints.

After missing the last three weeks with an ankle injury, Breida returned as Raheem Mostert's change-of-pace while Tevin Coleman mostly watched from the sideline. Breida's first carry was an explosive 28-yard scamper. He has minimal standalone fantasy value headed into Week 15 against the Falcons. Breida doesn't get the looks near the end zone.

Users who are viewing this thread