What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (2 Viewers)

Week one

Carlos Hyde 44 snaps 77%  9 rushing attempts 6 targets

Matt Breida 13 snaps 23% 4 rushing attempts 0 targets

Mostert 1 snap 2% 

The FB K.Juszczyk had one rushing attempt and four targets, so being used as a receiver more than Breida.

No other RB was really involved however and in the circumstance that Hyde were not playing I would expect Breida's snaps and opportunities to be pretty high.

Breida got the ball 30% of the time he was on the field, Hyde got the ball 34% of the time he was on the field.

So Hyde goes out, I feel like a genius for picking him up... only to see that darn Hyde come back in later.

OK, Hyde is injury prone, yes.  But if you are a non-Hyde owner, are you still hanging on?  I wish I could but I need to build depth at other positions as well and I can't hold a guy who won't be relevant barring injury to the starter.

Hyde is like LESEAN MCCOY the way they go in and out of games with small dings.

they do tend to lead up to bigger dings down the road though 

Fixed for you sir.   :P

Have you ever been a LeSean McCoy owner?  Last year I watched aghast as McCoy hit the ground, writing in pain, telling people "don't touch me" (or something similar).... only to see him sit out for 4-5 plays then come right back into the game. Another time or two he sat out a quarter or so.

McCoy has done that so many times its not even funny at this point.

I only have McCoy in a single PPR league, and I am kinda at the point where I don't even want to watch him really. Any owners of his for the last two years have seen him pull that injured maneuver, it looks bad then he is right back into the game minutes later.

(It seriously happened so often last year, it left me wondering if he does it for the attention only)

Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player and what he brings to the table. Nor do I want to see anyone injured. It got to the point last year to where I just said "Oh yeah, there it is again".

I owned him in a league or two, each of the last 2 years so I was aware every time it was happening.

The real odd thing is, I don't remember him pulling that in Philly, when he was there.

MATT BREIDA - Haven't seen the game, but I will watch it shortly.  I picked him up after week 1, and he is sitting quietly on the bench behind Hyde. I will likely keep him for weeks until the time comes where I have to make a tough drop. I don't think he is a KING MAKER like Derrick Henry could be in the event of injury, but if Hyde goes down, I see him getting decent numbers on a strong workload alone. PLUS he is a fair pass catcher.

No reason for Hyde owners to NOT have him unless you are just absolutely loaded at RB.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
 Fixed for you sir.   :P

Have you ever been a LeSean McCoy owner?  Last year I watched aghast as McCoy hit the ground, writing in pain, telling people "don't touch me" (or something similar).... only to see him sit out for 4-5 plays then come right back into the game. Another time or two he sat out a quarter or so.

McCoy has done that so many times its not even funny at this point.

I only have McCoy in a single PPR league, and I am kinda at the point where I don't even want to watch him really. Any owners of his for the last two years have seen him pull that injured maneuver, it looks bad then he is right back into the game minutes later.

(It seriously happened so often last year, it left me wondering if he does it for the attention only)

Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player and what he brings to the table. Nor do I want to see anyone injured. It got to the point last year to where I just said "Oh yeah, there it is again".

I owned him in a league or two, each of the last 2 years so I was aware every time it was happening.

The real odd thing is, I don't remember him pulling that in Philly, when he was there.

MATT BREIDA - Haven't seen the game, but I will watch it shortly.  I picked him up after week 1, and he is sitting quietly on the bench behind Hyde. I will likely keep him for weeks until the time comes where I have to make a tough drop. I don't think he is a KING MAKER like Derrick Henry could be in the event of injury, but if Hyde goes down, I see him getting decent numbers on a strong workload alone. PLUS he is a fair pass catcher.

No reason for Hyde owners to NOT have him unless you are just absolutely loaded at RB.

TZM
Funnily enough I almost put him on the list. I owned him up till last year... sigh

i traded him for what turned into Keenan Allen this season undecided on how that will turn out 

Actually was surprised to see Mostert get as much run as he did.  Mostert, like Breida, is a freak athlete.  Both were getting touches fairly evenly last night, or so it seemed, when Hyde was out.  That kinda puts the brakes on the Breida hype train a smidge.  If Breida got the same workhorse treatment after Hyde went out, I'd be much more excited, personally.

So Hyde goes out, I feel like a genius for picking him up... only to see that darn Hyde come back in later.

OK, Hyde is injury prone, yes.  But if you are a non-Hyde owner, are you still hanging on?  I wish I could but I need to build depth at other positions as well and I can't hold a guy who won't be relevant barring injury to the starter.
Breida is still hold especially dynasty league.  Given Hyde's history of and propensity to getting ding up easily, Breida will get his chance.  Any RB in Shanahan offense is must own. 

Breida is still hold especially dynasty league.  Given Hyde's history of and propensity to getting ding up easily, Breida will get his chance.  Any RB in Shanahan offense is must own. 
In dynasty, sure.  In redraft, I'm not so sure.  He looks a little small out there in the scatback type of RBs.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  Concerning also is the other guy got the ball as well and only lost his chance when he fumbled.  I'm not sure Breida can carry the mail if Hyde goes out.

JFS171 said:
Actually was surprised to see Mostert get as much run as he did.  Mostert, like Breida, is a freak athlete.  Both were getting touches fairly evenly last night, or so it seemed, when Hyde was out.  That kinda puts the brakes on the Breida hype train a smidge.  If Breida got the same workhorse treatment after Hyde went out, I'd be much more excited, personally.
Good observation here. It seemed like Mostert got the up-the-middle calls right after Hyde went out with Breida getting a couple of out routes. definitely curious whether Breida is a sure handcuff to Hyde, last night certainly didn't support the cause.

Ugh...  I wasn't able to watch the game but as soon as news came across my phone that Hyde was hurt I picked up Breida and dropped Powell.  I feel like I really messed that one up.

Good observation here. It seemed like Mostert got the up-the-middle calls right after Hyde went out with Breida getting a couple of out routes. definitely curious whether Breida is a sure handcuff to Hyde, last night certainly didn't support the cause.
Exactly.

Don't understand why this thread is so hot. If Hyde goes down, you still have a committee on a rotten team.

Is Breida really Christine Michael in disguise??

Exactly.

Don't understand why this thread is so hot. If Hyde goes down, you still have a committee on a rotten team.

I can tell since you don't understand why this thread is so hot, that you like picking up players after they break out at a mark up. To each their own.

I can tell since you don't understand why this thread is so hot, that you like picking up players after they break out at a mark up. To each their own.
There are many other players that should be targeted for lottery tickets with clearer paths to touches on offenses more likely to produce.

Like I said, Hyde goes down, Breida looks like he's still splitting carries. And on a team, that minus Hyde himself, probably becomes completely dysfunctional (more so than it already is).

There are many other players that should be targeted for lottery tickets with clearer paths to touches on offenses more likely to produce.

Like I said, Hyde goes down, Breida looks like he's still splitting carries. And on a team, that minus Hyde himself, probably becomes completely dysfunctional (more so than it already is).
my interest in Breida was strictly a handcuff to Hyde, I have both rostered. Mostert wasn't even on my radar until last night and it was J Williams who in the preseason before his injury was a potential split with Breida in the event Hyde went down. Now I'm reassessing. No argument that there are other lottery tickets out there who look to be better backs than Breida from a talent perspective, but as a Hyde owner this is definitely a development worth tracking.

Exactly.

It's only a committee if SF goes after another back.  Williams, their fourth rounder, got a bit of a phantom IR designation and the current third RB is nothing more than a scatback/special teamer.  The only path to short term relevance is still an injury to Hyde, but there is no committee in SF to worry about (right now anyway).  

Ugh...  I wasn't able to watch the game but as soon as news came across my phone that Hyde was hurt I picked up Breida and dropped Powell.  I feel like I really messed that one up.
As an aside, leagues that don't lock players once the game starts and allow you to pick up players in-game are so bush league.  Just my opinion.  Make everybody use the waiver process and it is fair for everyone, not just the people that have lives that allow them to be glued to football games.

It's only a committee if SF goes after another back.  Williams, their fourth rounder, got a bit of a phantom IR designation and the current third RB is nothing more than a scatback/special teamer.  The only path to short term relevance is still an injury to Hyde, but there is no committee in SF to worry about (right now anyway).  
He's nothing more than a scatback/special teamer, but it does seem that Mosert was given an opportunity once Hyde was out.  He just fumbled.  Who knows if Shanahan has the Belichick rule about fumbling and he's now in the doghouse.

He's nothing more than a scatback/special teamer, but it does seem that Mosert was given an opportunity once Hyde was out.  He just fumbled.  Who knows if Shanahan has the Belichick rule about fumbling and he's now in the doghouse.
Mostert was given a chance when Breida needed a breather while Hyde was out like any standard rotation. He might have some special plays to take advantage of his skills, but it won't be RBBC if Hyde gets hurt.  

As an aside, leagues that don't lock players once the game starts and allow you to pick up players in-game are so bush league.  Just my opinion.  Make everybody use the waiver process and it is fair for everyone, not just the people that have lives that allow them to be glued to football games.

I don't really care if people like it or not.  This is how our league has always done it and I really like it.  I hate waiting for waivers to clear.  Amazingly I was out last night and didn't even get to watch much of the game yet somehow I was still able to make a simple pick up on my phone.  It was almost as if I was able to go about my regular life and still make a transaction without being glued to a football game.  Technology makes it pretty easy now.

I get the reason for waivers and most of my leagues use that format, I just don't enjoy them as much.  To each their own.

For the record:

Breida played 16 snaps on offense to Mostert's 8; Mostert played 21 snaps on special teams to Breida's 11.

So it looks like Breida still may be looking at a 2/3 to 1/3 split if Hyde goes down.

The time may be now for Breida to take off!   I'm guessing Hyde will play, but just throwing this out into the pool

from rotoworld:

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Carlos Hyde (questionable, hip) is a game-time decision for Week 4 against the Cardinals.

Hyde was limited in practice, but there hadn't been much concern over his status. He played through his hip injury last week and should be on track to start. With the 49ers playing a late game owners may need to have a back up plan in place, though it won't be surprising if we know his status early Sunday.

Mostert was given a chance when Breida needed a breather while Hyde was out like any standard rotation. He might have some special plays to take advantage of his skills, but it won't be RBBC if Hyde gets hurt.  
Hyde with a hurt hip played almost the entire second half against Rams. Heathy breida split carries snaps with mostert during time Hyde missed in first half

Last edited by a moderator:
Grabbed him as a flyer for when Hyde gets hurt. No guarantee he does anything with the chance but there are worse lotto tickets out there.

I dropped him in most of my leagues. Was really disappointing to see him split carries after Hyde went out. No idea if that will be the case in the future. I still think he is a decent flyer but I took chances on Collins, Carson, Foreman etc over him.

I dropped him in most of my leagues. Was really disappointing to see him split carries after Hyde went out. No idea if that will be the case in the future. I still think he is a decent flyer but I took chances on Collins, Carson, Foreman etc over him.
This. Plus was he not hyped as having Coleman type role for hime

M. Breida Week 5 @ IND

He bursts into the second level so quickly sometimes it almost looks as if the tape has been sped up. He seems like he's always an arm tackle away from taking one to the house. However, I have no clue why he keeps stepping out of bounds when he could fight for extra yards. He's making business decisions when he hasn't proven a thing yet, I don't like that ####. I see obvious potential but I came away from the vid lukewarm. 

M. Breida Week 5 @ IND

He bursts into the second level so quickly sometimes it almost looks as if the tape has been sped up. He seems like he's always an arm tackle away from taking one to the house. However, I have no clue why he keeps stepping out of bounds when he could fight for extra yards. He's making business decisions when he hasn't proven a thing yet, I don't like that ####. I see obvious potential but I came away from the vid lukewarm. 
I'm just not seeing so much of that. A couple pass play big gainers we're nice, even if he was entirely uncovered on the last play of the half. And he had one very solid run that he almost took to the house but he didn't show much vision in traffic, seemed to prefer breaking outside (as rookies tend to do) and went down very easily (like on that big run).

Is this guy really a threat?

M. Breida Week 5 @ IND

I noticed that as well on two of the plays he had on the left sideline. He left yards on the field because of going out of bounds early and it wasn't at times when going out of bounds would conserve the time on the clock as a reason for it.

I also saw him miss a better hole at the 4:50 mark as I mentioned in your thread.

He goes down too easily to ankle tackle on one of the runs that I think could have led to a big play. Something I saw a fair amount from the college cut ups of him I watched as well (mentioned earlier on in the thread)

Hot hand huh?

He is very fast as you say.

I thought I heard KS say that Hyde made a few mistakes in a press conference. I have a hunch Hyde is going to play fired up this week..

I'm just not seeing so much of that. A couple pass play big gainers we're nice, even if he was entirely uncovered on the last play of the half. And he had one very solid run that he almost took to the house but he didn't show much vision in traffic, seemed to prefer breaking outside (as rookies tend to do) and went down very easily (like on that big run).

Is this guy really a threat?
He has really good burst, I don't see how you don't see that. But the biggest threat to Hyde is his health.

Hope its okay to cross post this from the Hyde thread...

I was just reading a thread in the 49ers webzone forum thought this post was interesting post#16 page 2. Its a coaches film review thread and the poster speculates that this missed assignment, plus the fumble right before could have been the rationale for sitting Hyde:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/189471-week-colts-coaches-film-analysis-thread/page2/
I think this observation is correct. Hyde does miss his assignment here.

Is Breida actually better in pass protection than Hyde though?  :unsure:

Wake up call for Hyde is that is the case.

I haven't seen Breida putting the ball on the ground at all, so he does have that going for him.

He has really good burst, I don't see how you don't see that. But the biggest threat to Hyde is his health.
Maybe i should rewatch but I remember one run where he made it to the second level (maybe 1.5). He looks like he has speed and decent acceleration but I only saw it when he was in open spaces like on his receptions, which were all on incredibly soft coverage.  I see burst as when a player gets compact in tight spaces or reads his blocks and one cuts through to the second level. I saw acceleration more than anything in that cut up.

Is there a specific run or runs I should rewatch?

Honest questions:

Does he have good vision? Balance? The ability to push forward through defenders for that extra yard, that isn't entirely based upon size either (see Doug Martin or Shonn Greene)? Does he have the wiggle to make players miss? 

I honestly don't know but I didn't come away from that video thinking I saw demonstrations of any of those abilities. I saw what looks like good speed and acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread