What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post-structuralist discursive gender theory. (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
An important paper was published yesterday in the peer-reviewed journal, Cogent Social Sciences. "The conceptual penis as a social construct," by Jamie Lindsay and Peter Boyle, argues that the discursive isomorphism of hypermasculinity in pre-post-patriarchal society -- exemplified by "manspreading" (i.e., sitting with legs spread wide) -- is akin to coercive mating with virgin natural environments.

From the paper's conclusion:

We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations. The conceptual penis presents significant problems for gender identity and reproductive identity within social and family dynamics, is exclusionary to disenfranchised communities based upon gender or reproductive identity, is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change.
The paper received acclaim from its reviewers, earning praise for its critical treatment of neocapitalist materialism and exclusionary dialectical objectivism. Indeed, some commentators have favorably compared the paper's importance to that of Alan Sokal's seminal 1996 article, "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity."

Praise was not strictly unanimous, however. A small cadre of detractors, including the paper's authors, gently criticized the paper as "utter nonsense sugarcoated with impenetrable jargon." I think the critics actually raise some decent points, though their objections must be treated with skepticism given their admitted ignorance of what post-structuralist discursive gender theory even means.

You know things have gone downhill when you can't tell reality from comedy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have a pretty firm grasp on this social construct, but am not really seeing the problem.  

Maurile Tremblay said:
I think the critics actually raise some decent points, though their objections must be treated with skepticism given their admitted ignorance of what post-structuralist discursive gender theory even means.
I think they meant to say "pre-post-dialectictical structuralist discursive isomorphic gender theory." Not to nitpick, just to clarify what I'm sure was a typo. 

Tons of great band names:

The Conceptual Penis

Impenetrable Jargon

Manspreading

Transformative Hermeneutics

Discursive Isomorphism of Hypermasculinity (perhaps better suited as an album name)

Maurile Tremblay said:
An important paper was published yesterday in the peer-reviewed journal, Cogent Social Sciences. "The conceptual penis as a social construct," by Jamie Lindsay and Peter Boyle, argues that the discursive isomorphism of hypermasculinity in pre-post-patriarchal society -- exemplified by "manspreading" (i.e., sitting with legs spread wide) -- is akin to coercive mating with virgin natural environments.

From the paper's conclusion:

We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations. The conceptual penis presents significant problems for gender identity and reproductive identity within social and family dynamics, is exclusionary to disenfranchised communities based upon gender or reproductive identity, is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change.
The paper received acclaim from its reviewers, earning praise for its critical treatment of neocapitalist materialism and exclusionary dialectical objectivism. Indeed, some commentators have favorably compared the paper's importance to that of Alan Sokal's seminal 1996 article, "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity."

Praise was not strictly unanimous, however. A small cadre of detractors, including the paper's authors, gently criticized the paper as "utter nonsense sugarcoated with impenetrable jargon." I think the critics actually raise some decent points, though their objections must be treated with skepticism given their admitted ignorance of what post-structuralist discursive gender theory even means.
jon_mx was going to post that as his own work to see if we laughed.

We - any who would read this - are all out-of-work beasts, people who needed every ounce of their animalism to survive up to but a couplefew generations ago. We have not resolved any of our beastly issues, we have not tried, we likely have not even seen the need. But everywhere i go i see little other than abstractions of our dominance issues and, as one who tries to help people past depression & unhappiness, 99% of cause lies with the beast within. These ####### have no better idea of that than y'all do, but it will be much of your & society's downfall, so you might want to start paying attention. nufced

Last edited by a moderator:
We - any who would read this - are all out-of-work beasts, people who needed every ounce of their animalism to survive up to but a couplefew generations ago. We have not resolved any of our beastly issues, we have not tried, we likely have not even seen the need. But everywhere i go i see little other than abstractions of our dominance issues and, as one who tries to help people past depression & unhappiness, 99% of cause lies with the beast within. These ####### have no better idea of that than y'all do, but it will be much of your & society's downfall, so you might want to start paying attention. nufced
Or, simply titled... 

The West Is Dead.  

You all know this is a joke, right?
I don't think joke is quite the right term. The paper really did make it past peer-review and really was published in an academic journal that takes itself seriously. It's a black eye on the social sciences, much like the Sokal paper was a couple decades ago.

I don't think joke is quite the right term. The paper really did make it past peer-review and really was published in an academic journal that takes itself seriously. It's a black eye on the social sciences, much like the Sokal paper was a couple decades ago.
Hoax or prank is a better term. I just meant that analysis of the paper shouldn't be done from any perspective other than the gullible academics that were fooled.

I am not cutting my penis off regardless of whether it offends angry lesbians or transsexuals who have had to fashion one surgically from some rib cartilage and thigh fat.  If that makes me an oppressor of disenfranchised POC's and women, so be it.  Over the years I have grown attached to my penis, and I am O.K. with that.  As for the social sciences, misusing th scientific method does not make one a science.  As for comedy.   I give it 5.5 out of 10.

Users who are viewing this thread