What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are the Rams the new hell for WRs? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
.....or make that ongoing hell. I simply don't want to own any RAMS WR.   It's bad enough the lack of talent, but I don't have any confidence in their QBs or OL.  I don't think I own a single Ram WR in any league.

Edited to add:  I do own Pharoh Cooper in one league, but I'll dump him the first chance I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teams don't stay bad forever and you never really know when that will change, it takes 1 or 2 draft picks that make it happen overnight.

For a while the Bucc's were god awful and boom Evans and Winston, and everyone wants a piece.  I make it a personal strategy of mine to buy talented guys in poor offenses because 1 of 2 things happen.  1.  They move on to greener pastures (Pryor for example) or 2.  They stay and ride it out and hope for change and are a relatively high volume player.  Either way they can usually be had at a heavy discount, at least before they move on or stay.  Kupp and Gurley are talented players that are relatively cheap to acquire (unless the Gurley guy is the original Gurley owner) to relate it specifically to the Rams.  I'd be more than happy to buy into the Rams right now before they get good.  I think Kupp is going in the 4th round of rookie drafts?  Gerald Everett maybe 3rd?  Robert Woods' value is in the mid 2nds I'm guessing.  I love buying low powered offenses in hopes they bloom over a summer with the change in players.  Unfortunately I'm barren in the draft picks department but I'd be buying at least 1 guy I liked on that team.

100% no, not anymore. The Rams made the best hire possible this offseason to change their offense - a young, brilliant offensive-minded coach. Give them a year or two. 

Number of times a WR or TE scored 100 fantasy points in a season (0 ppr) 2012-2016:

Code:
NOS	14
DEN	13
ARI	12
DAL	12
PIT	12
CIN	11
GBP	11
NEP	11
LAC	11
ATL	10
CAR	10
BAL	9
CHI	9
DET	9
MIA	9
OAK	9
SEA	9
WAS	9
IND	8
MIN	8
NYG	8
TBB	8
HOU	7
JAX	7
PHI	7
TEN	7
CLE	6
KCC	5
SFO	5
NYJ	4
BUF	3
LAR	2

Teams don't stay bad forever and you never really know when that will change, it takes 1 or 2 draft picks that make it happen overnight.

For a while the Bucc's were god awful and boom Evans and Winston, and everyone wants a piece.  I make it a personal strategy of mine to buy talented guys in poor offenses because 1 of 2 things happen.  1.  They move on to greener pastures (Pryor for example) or 2.  They stay and ride it out and hope for change and are a relatively high volume player.  Either way they can usually be had at a heavy discount, at least before they move on or stay.  Kupp and Gurley are talented players that are relatively cheap to acquire (unless the Gurley guy is the original Gurley owner) to relate it specifically to the Rams.  I'd be more than happy to buy into the Rams right now before they get good.  I think Kupp is going in the 4th round of rookie drafts?  Gerald Everett maybe 3rd?  Robert Woods' value is in the mid 2nds I'm guessing.  I love buying low powered offenses in hopes they bloom over a summer with the change in players.  Unfortunately I'm barren in the draft picks department but I'd be buying at least 1 guy I liked on that team.
I doubt you could ever trade Robert Woods for a 2nd rd rookie pick.  I get what you're saying about bad teams becoming good, but let's just say I don 't have any confidence in Goff and he's pretty much entrenched in that offense for the next few years.  God knows they sold the farm to get him, lol.   Also, I don't really see a lot of talent on that offense right now with the exception of Gurley and he runs behind a terrible OL.

100% no, not anymore. The Rams made the best hire possible this offseason to change their offense - a young, brilliant offensive-minded coach. Give them a year or two. 
Agree, they did not make a coaching change so much as they  did a 180 on the coaching staff. Rid themselves of someone who the game seems to have passed by, a coach who literally looked as tired as his offensive game plan and replaced him with a guy you just described almost verbatim to how I'd have described him. Night and day difference.

They still have major OL issues to addresses and the roster is filled with a lot of first and second year skill position players so these things take time, but I think they are on the right track.

Agree, they did not make a coaching change so much as they  did a 180 on the coaching staff. Rid themselves of someone who the game seems to have passed by, a coach who literally looked as tired as his offensive game plan and replaced him with a guy you just described almost verbatim to how I'd have described him. Night and day difference.

They still have major OL issues to addresses and the roster is filled with a lot of first and second year skill position players so these things take time, but I think they are on the right track.
Not if Goff isn't the answer and I don't think he is.

Not if Goff isn't the answer and I don't think he is.
This new regime isn't married to Golf and with the bulk of the guarantee money paid out this and last yr the move away from him isn't as tough as you think.   Now I think he's (Goff) got some rope but if he's a disaster this year and shows no sign of picking up Mcvays system they will not be afraid to move on I'm sure of it.  

With that being said I'm not as low on Goff as you seem to be.  He had the worst possible situation for a rookie QB to come in to.  OL a disaster, WR devoid of any real talent and a coaching staff that has developed exactly 1 QB in its entire collective coaching history (and I'd argue that McNair developed in spite of Fisher not because of).  

The QB coaching talent around Goff now is LIGHTYEARS ahead of what he had last year from the head coach on down.  If he doesn't make solid strides this year he'll have no excuses.  

This new regime isn't married to Golf and with the bulk of the guarantee money paid out this and last yr the move away from him isn't as tough as you think.   Now I think he's (Goff) got some rope but if he's a disaster this year and shows no sign of picking up Mcvays system they will not be afraid to move on I'm sure of it.  

With that being said I'm not as low on Goff as you seem to be.  He had the worst possible situation for a rookie QB to come in to.  OL a disaster, WR devoid of any real talent and a coaching staff that has developed exactly 1 QB in its entire collective coaching history (and I'd argue that McNair developed in spite of Fisher not because of).  

The QB coaching talent around Goff now is LIGHTYEARS ahead of what he had last year from the head coach on down.  If he doesn't make solid strides this year he'll have no excuses.  
They need a LOT of offensive talent.  That team is devoid of any kind of offensive talent (asside from Gurley) IMO.  That won't happen in one or even two drafts.  No OL (check), no WRs (check), no QB (check), no TEs (possible check).

Cooper Kupp is going in the late second of rookie drafts. His ADP had been steadily rising.

They need a LOT of offensive talent.  That team is devoid of any kind of offensive talent (asside from Gurley) IMO.  That won't happen in one or even two drafts.  No OL (check), no WRs (check), no QB (check), no TEs (possible check).
Sure.  But they have enough to show progress, and that will be Goff's evaluation line.  

I think Woods and Kupp are very interesting buy low guys and both TE's have very nice ceilings (but low floors as well).  

I just don't see it as bleak as you do, though I understand the skepticism.  

Sure.  But the have enough to show progress, and that will be Goff's evaluation line.  

I think Woods and Kupp are very interesting but low guys and both TE's have very nice ceilings (but low floors as well).  

I just don't see it as bleak as you do, though I understand the skepticism.  
If I were a Rams fan I would say the same thing.....probably.  Even if I were a Rams fan I don't think I could say a positive thing about that WR group as a whole with a straight face.

If I were a Rams fan I would say the same thing.....probably.  Even if I were a Rams fan I don't think I could say a positive thing about that WR group as a whole with a straight face.
Yeah rose colored glasses are possible but I've never shy'd away from brutal honesty when it come to my teams.   If it were still the Fisher regime no one would be able to show me any reason for positivity.  But with the offseason changes I'm optimistic that positive momentum will come.  Time will tell of course, in the mean time I'll roll the dice on a few buy low guys and hope for the pay off.   

Yeah rose colored glasses are possible but I've never shy'd away from brutal honesty when it come to my teams.   If it were still the Fisher regime no one would be able to show me any reason for positivity.  But with the offseason changes I'm optimistic that positive momentum will come.  Time will tell of course, in the mean time I'll roll the dice on a few buy low guys and hope for the pay off.   
Woods and Kupp?  Buy lows may get you a WR #5 for your fantasy team.  Woods never has amounted to much and Kupp is a white guys who tested horribly athletically at the combine.  His ceiling is a slot WR who may get you 500 yds and 2 or 3 TDs a year.

Is it really necessary to say "is a white guy"... that's just racist to bring it up.  Just say he tested pretty poorly athletically.  

But anyways the original question is if the Rams are a poor spot for WR's.  The answer is yes, but things change rather dramatically in the NFL as you know, and regardless if you believe in Goff or not, someone has to catch passes there and sneaky value is likely to be had.  Why pay expensive WR prices for guys like Djax (just an example) when you can pay cheap prices for Woods/Kupp.  Maybe these aren't the long term answers but the QB's threw for roughly 3300 yards last year on horridle o-line play and they've made strides to imrpove.  Either way you look at it, you have to think they've gotten better in the offseason and another year for Goff is a good thing, arrow is pointing up.  Just depends on who breaks free.  

Is it really necessary to say "is a white guy"... that's just racist to bring it up.  Just say he tested pretty poorly athletically.  

But anyways the original question is if the Rams are a poor spot for WR's.  The answer is yes, but things change rather dramatically in the NFL as you know, and regardless if you believe in Goff or not, someone has to catch passes there and sneaky value is likely to be had.  Why pay expensive WR prices for guys like Djax (just an example) when you can pay cheap prices for Woods/Kupp.  Maybe these aren't the long term answers but the QB's threw for roughly 3300 yards last year on horridle o-line play and they've made strides to imrpove.  Either way you look at it, you have to think they've gotten better in the offseason and another year for Goff is a good thing, arrow is pointing up.  Just depends on who breaks free.  
Sorry to offed you with the white guy comment and lack of a trigger warning, but it is a fact that white guy WRs that are not athletic, unlike Edelman, Nelson, or Decker, are relegated to slot duty and a low ceiling.  Not someone you build a team around, real or fantasy, only mild complimentary pieces.

Just because you can't think of anything positive to say doesn't mean there isn't. I know a lot of people are fans of Josh Reynolds and cooper kupp as prospects. Robert woods has been solid if not spectacular. Everett is an intriguing te prospect. No matter what you think of mccvay he is an upgrade on Fischer. I can easily see one of these guys producing if they are legit

No. Maybe it was but I don't think so anymore.

With Jeff FIsher gone there is some hope.

They did sign one of the best pass blocking left tackles Whitworth in free agency. He is 35 years old but that should help quite a bit. 

I'll be more than happy to go into this season with no Ram WRs on my rosters. Other than Gurley that team is a fantasy wasteland.

Offenses that are bad are always bad until they're not. This same thing would've been said about the Jags a few years ago. Then Allen Robinson became a first round dynasty pick. Rams last year produced a 1,000 yard season in Kenny Britt. Browns a few years ago produced the overall WR2 in Josh Gordon. 

There is something to be said about situation. But far too often people don't appreciate the value of volume like they should.  

The Rams are a completely different team now. I'm not sure why you would create this thread. They hired some pretty decent minds on offense.

New? The last 2 times that a Ram had 750+ receiving yards in a season are Kenny Britt in 2016 and Torry Holt in 2008.

But that doesn't actually tell us much about what to expect of the Rams going forward. If Goff develops into a solid QB, or if they find a new QB within the next couple years, then things can change very quickly.

New? The last 2 times that a Ram had 750+ receiving yards in a season are Kenny Britt in 2016 and Torry Holt in 2008.

But that doesn't actually tell us much about what to expect of the Rams going forward. If Goff develops into a solid QB, or if they find a new QB within the next couple years, then things can change very quickly.
In fantasy I'm more concerned about the next 3 years and I don't see the Rams receiving corps being a desirable commodity in that time range.  

.......add Cleveland as well
Also, people still in love with Sammy Watkins even though his foot could fall off any day and now Zay Jones, l don't look at Buffalo as a desirable place for WRs..  Not as bad as some, but still not great.

In fantasy I'm more concerned about the next 3 years and I don't see the Rams receiving corps being a desirable commodity in that time range.  
Fwiw I'm pretty big on everett.  Just took him at pick 28 in idp, te enhanced and flex. I think, though could be wrong, that goff will be a decent, though not stellar qb. Maybe Tannehill or Dalton level. 

His entire contract is guaranteed.  He's over $16M dead next year vs. a $7.9M cap number, and $9M dead in 2019.  He's there for the duration.

Yes, one of a few.  Though I'm unsure as to why the word "new" was necessary in the thread title.  

Im hoping things change with the removal of Fisher, but just don't see any if their non-Gurley skill position players being all that relevant.

Yes, one of a few.  Though I'm unsure as to why the word "new" was necessary in the thread title.  

Im hoping things change with the removal of Fisher, but just don't see any if their non-Gurley skill position players being all that relevant.
I agree "new" wasn't the best word choice, but that isn't a big deal.

Based on how this group approached the offseason at the skill positions they thought it was, so they are trying to fix it. 

I find it short sighted to write all these guys off. They have a new wr core and a new coaching staff. They all take a small investment, and while I doubt we find a top 20 wr here there will be someone who outperforms adp. 

As far as Kupp is concerned, there's more to the combine than 40 time. Also more to being a wr. Sure he's not a field stretcher, and he may be best utilized in the slot, but if he can fill a Jamison crowder type role he could be useful. 

His entire contract is guaranteed.  He's over $16M dead next year vs. a $7.9M cap number, and $9M dead in 2019.  He's there for the duration.
Yup, but what they are paying him going forward (guaranteed or not) is backup money. They won't cut him but they might move on, e.g by drafting a new wonder boy next year. Obviously if he leaves the Rams before the end of 2019 it will be by trade or by flat out sucking so bad he gets outplayed by Sean Mannion (the only other QB currently on the roster IIRC). 

I don't think anyone here expected goff to come in and light the league on fire. Wentz either. But the difference between the two is more coaching and offensive philosophy than arm talent/ability. Wentz went to a good coach, goff probably learned something from Fischer but that entire offense sucked with Keenum and goff. This is the kind of situation you look for in fantasy, where you can find value late in drafts. This is like Mike Martz coaching the lions, they still lost but suddenly guys like kitna and Mike furrey were assets out of nowhere. Kyle shanahan is another hire to pay attention to as well. 

Even if you take a flyer on Kupp/Reynolds/Everett or whoever and they don't pan out because of qb play both of these teams have ties to cousins, who could come in and boost all their stock next year. 

I don't think anyone here expected goff to come in and light the league on fire. Wentz either. But the difference between the two is more coaching and offensive philosophy than arm talent/ability. Wentz went to a good coach, goff probably learned something from Fischer but that entire offense sucked with Keenum and goff. This is the kind of situation you look for in fantasy, where you can find value late in drafts. This is like Mike Martz coaching the lions, they still lost but suddenly guys like kitna and Mike furrey were assets out of nowhere. Kyle shanahan is another hire to pay attention to as well. 

Even if you take a flyer on Kupp/Reynolds/Everett or whoever and they don't pan out because of qb play both of these teams have ties to cousins, who could come in and boost all their stock next year. 
I don't want to sidetrack this too much but just wanted to say I think you are giving a little too much credit to the Eagles coaching staff for Wentz.  I think simply that Wentz was more NFL ready when he was drafted.  In a way that seems like an unusual statement because a a lot of the talk heading into that draft was it would take a small school QB longer to be ready to start but Wentz earned the starting job in week 1 and started out red hot.  My take on this was that he was a lot more NFL ready than Goff and we just didn't know it.

I don't want to sidetrack this too much but just wanted to say I think you are giving a little too much credit to the Eagles coaching staff for Wentz.  I think simply that Wentz was more NFL ready when he was drafted.  In a way that seems like an unusual statement because a a lot of the talk heading into that draft was it would take a small school QB longer to be ready to start but Wentz earned the starting job in week 1 and started out red hot.  My take on this was that he was a lot more NFL ready than Goff and we just didn't know it.
I think Wentz is just a better qb. But the rest of the Eagles offense >>> the Rams offense, which makes a big difference even for a rookie (maybe especially for a rookie).

As far as Kupp is concerned, there's more to the combine than 40 time. Also more to being a wr. Sure he's not a field stretcher, and he may be best utilized in the slot, but if he can fill a Jamison crowder type role he could be useful. 
You may have missed the part where the OP told us that he was white? Besides Nelson, Edelman, Decker, Welker, Hogan, and Beasley when was the last time a white WR was fantasy relevant? And let's not even get started on those light skinned black guys.

You may have missed the part where the OP told us that he was white? Besides Nelson, Edelman, Decker, Welker, Hogan, and Beasley when was the last time a white WR was fantasy relevant? And let's not even get started on those light skinned black guys.
Oh for crying out loud.  I said Kupp wasn't athletic like Edelman, Nelson, and Decker and would never be more than a complimentary player and his ceiling will be low, thus the 500/2 max prediction.  Of course I could be wrong, but that is my prediction for Krupp.

I agree, Wentz came from a pro style and one of his key benefits was cerebral. Goff did not come from a pro style and appeared at least on Hard Knocks to not be cerebral. McVay has an interesting challenge. The easy solution will run a lot more shotgun to make Goff comfortable given he only ran Bear Raid offense in college and struggled a lot last year. But a big key to Cousins' success was the ability to run play action and there best player on offense is still Gurley by a very wide margin, which sets up the play action well. If you look at some of Goff's dumb mistakes last year they could be explained by only knowing how to throw from shotgun. I think we're looking at a lot of shotgun formation at least early in the year.

Oh for crying out loud.  I said Krupp wasn't athletic like Edelman, Nelson, and Decker and would never be more than a complimentary player and his ceiling will be low, thus the 500/2 max prediction.  Of course I could be wrong, but that is my prediction for Krupp.
Do you think Kupp is more or less athletic than Jarvis Landry? What about Tyler Boyd or Keenan Allen?

Mr. Krupp on the other hand is very athletic. Maybe we should really be asking if you are evaluating him before or after he drank the alien super power juice. You can't use his pre-juiced workout numbers. After he drank the juice, he became a totally different athlete.

Do you think Kupp is more or less athletic than Jarvis Landry? What about Tyler Boyd or Keenan Allen?

Mr. Krupp on the other hand is very athletic. Maybe we should really be asking if you are evaluating him before or after he drank the alien super power juice. You can't use his pre-juiced workout numbers. After he drank the juice, he became a totally different athlete.
I'm just going by this combine numbers, which were horrible.

Quote --

Pre-combine, Kupp had been working his way up draft boards. His mixture of elite college production and NFL pedigree (his father and grandfather both played in the NFL) are enticing for any NFL team. However, any hopes of Cooper Kupp continuing his career as a work-horse receiver likely died in the eyes of NFL teams over the weekend. Kupp posted poor numbers in the 40-yard dash, as well as vertical and broad jump. As a result, he will likely be relegated to the slot, where his solid 4.08 second 20-yard shuttle and quality 3-cone will be more useful.

Was this thought consistent with most?  Asking because knowing what I know about them, this confuses me.  Wentz lacked the quantity of work and quality of opponent, but he came from a system that would be easier to transition from.  Add to it a better coaching staff (a dookie flinging monkey > Fisher) and the only thing that surprised me about either year one was how well Wentz played in September.  

I think whatever you thought of Goff this time last year you should think of him now.  Judgment begins this season.  If his owner feels otherwise and you were high on him then, try to get him.

Quote --

Pre-combine, Kupp had been working his way up draft boards. His mixture of elite college production and NFL pedigree (his father and grandfather both played in the NFL) are enticing for any NFL team. However, any hopes of Cooper Kupp continuing his career as a work-horse receiver likely died in the eyes of NFL teams over the weekend. Kupp posted poor numbers in the 40-yard dash, as well as vertical and broad jump. As a result, he will likely be relegated to the slot, where his solid 4.08 second 20-yard shuttle and quality 3-cone will be more useful.
In today's NFL is being a slot-WR a death knell for fantasy value?

I doubt anyone that knows his game thought he'd be more than that, but that is still valuable in ppr leagues. As to your ceiling of 500/2, that's likely not that far off for his rookie season - it's likely a decent baseline for most rookie WRs to be honest.

I'm not sure what point you are really trying to make here, but I guess that's a common theme.

Quote --

Plenty of guys run 4.6 40s and don't show explosion in the jumps. If they are good enough on tape they still get drafted in the 2nd or early 3rd. Some of them go on to have great careers. Both Landry and Allen timed slower. More historically Boldin. I don't think Kupp qualifies as a person who is such a bad athlete he has no chance of being relevant. "Horrible" is a lazy description. Did Mike Williams have a horrible combine/pro day?

In today's NFL is being a slot-WR a death knell for fantasy value?

I doubt anyone that knows his game thought he'd be more than that, but that is still valuable in ppr leagues. As to your ceiling of 500/2, that's likely not that far off for his rookie season - it's likely a decent baseline for most rookie WRs to be honest.

I'm not sure what point you are really trying to make here, but I guess that's a common theme.
My point is that I believe his ceiling is low that's all.  He could turn out to be very valuable to the Rams, but I don't ever see him as someone we will start in most fantasy leagues, especially 12 team leagues.

We will see how much of the Rams' problems were talent and how much were coaching; playcalling was a major issue. Adding Whitworth from Cincy helps the Oline, 21st century playcalling will help Goff and the WRs, especially Tavon Austin (who gets a bad rap for bad stats due to aforementioned playcalling). 

I am a pessimistic Rams fan, I don't like Goff and have little faith in their Oline right now, I didn't like the Cupp pick, but things really can change quickly. But we do not know much about how good or bad Goff is, his time last year may well be useless for looking forward. Sometimes adding one good Olineman makes all the pieces better, sometimes a good coach can identify and play to his players' strengths instead of forcing square pegs into round holes a la Fisher, sometimes a light goes on for a young QB... bottom line, it is foolish to speak in absolutes.

All that being said, I am not buying Rams players except in deeper leagues. 

Users who are viewing this thread