What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League allows celebrations again (1 Viewer)

I saw a lot of people happy about this on social media.  Doesn't really make a difference to me but it makes more sense to let them have their fun after they score.

I was always of the mind that Barry Sanders had the epitome of the most amazing celebration -- the "Act Like You've Been There Before" cele of just calmly handing the ball to the ref and trotting back to the bench.

But as a guy who loved the Ickey Shuffle and things like Cruz's salsa, and chuckled at some of TO and Ochocinco's celebrations, I don't mind allowing a little fun into the game. 

BUT...as a guy who thought the Dirty Bird got old and annoying quick, didn't like TO's Dallas star midfield dance, and thought Antonio Brown humping the goalposts was ridiculous, will be interesting to see how the refs try to maintain a line in terms of what is excessive and what isn't.

Does this apply to sacks and other situations as well?

I was always of the mind that Barry Sanders had the epitome of the most amazing celebration -- the "Act Like You've Been There Before" cele of just calmly handing the ball to the ref and trotting back to the bench.

But as a guy who loved the Ickey Shuffle and things like Cruz's salsa, and chuckled at some of TO and Ochocinco's celebrations, I don't mind allowing a little fun into the game. 

BUT...as a guy who thought the Dirty Bird got old and annoying quick, didn't like TO's Dallas star midfield dance, and thought Antonio Brown humping the goalposts was ridiculous, will be interesting to see how the refs try to maintain a line in terms of what is excessive and what isn't.

I hope it still applies to other plays. Team down 28 in the 4th, but you got a sack! Fake homerun swing into the Italian necktie, way to go loser! (I don't mean terrorist FYI) 

I don't mind the celebrations, goal post dunks, spinning the football or rocking it to sleep, but cellphone joe horn or arrogant TO in Dallas or the moss moon are in poor taste. It got pretty excessive quickly, so I don't blame them for making the rule originally. Hopefully the players can stay classy(ish) while having their fun and not disrespect the other team (TO) or the fans (moss). I guess if you get your 4th td of the day you can go pull a cellphone out and tweet about it or call your wife. 

I'm very happy.  Nowadays it is rare to see the NFL rule in favor of common sense.

As long as the clock is started for the P.A.T. immediately after the ball crosses the goal line I suppose I am fine.  The thing is the players will push the boundaries of look at me.  The celebrations will get distasteful, excessive, cliché, and derivative all too fast.  Spontaneous joy is wonderful, choreographed self aggrandizement not so much. The players always say they want to entertain, they are being restrained, etc.  The thing is, if this stuff is so damn entertaining the players should make a touring show of their dances.  The reason they don't is nobody really wants to see that crap, at least not enough to pay for it, so its really not entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess two threads are better than one!
Sorry. I hardly ever post anymore but thought this was actually a good thing. I am sure I will be disappointed in that the generation and media seekers are way more obnoxious/non-common sense than they used to be but I loved growing up as a kid and seeing the group high fives, the icky shuffle, the big man can dance and..the Merton Hanks chicken dance.  Some guys did it just enough to make it a fun thing to watch.

Emotion is great and players celebrating an important play is fun...that being said 30 year old men coming up with excessive premeditated individual celebrations are complete tools...

Emotion is great and players celebrating an important play is fun...that being said 30 year old men coming up with premeditated individual celebrations are complete tools...
you say that like the forum isn't full of middle aged men who do the same type of things in front of their wives and kids on a weekly basis. :)

Yay.  Nothing like watching an amazing athletic play for a TD and then watch that same amazing athlete look like a spaz trying to dance.

I always thought the crossbar dunk was cool as well as shooting the ball like a basketball over the crossbar.  Liked the mile high salute and the bow and arrow.  Funny and original.  Just no dancing please.  Most players cannot dance for shiot and I feel embarrassed for them.   :wall:

Hankmoody said:
Just what the league needs, more kowtowing to the "look at me" generation.
Funny you say that when the two guys who basically forced this overreaction by the NFL in the first place (T.O. and Chad Johnson) are almost 40 and part of a different generation. 

Good for the league.  I'm sure the leather helmet crowd will get their bloomers stuck in their jocks.....but the NFL is nothing more than entertainment...and celebrations are entertaining. 

Funny that high school and college kids can play the game and love it while not putting on egregious displays of look-at-me self love.  Too bad some of the pros just can't act like pros.

Marvin Lewis not a fan:

“I’m not for that at all,” Lewis said, via ESPN. “We had a good standard, and the whole standard has always been, you want to teach people how to play the game the correct way and go about it the correct way, and that’s not a very good example for young people.”

Is this fn guy kidding me with the guys he has on his team???????

My favorite was perhaps Chris speilmans only td, power sliding through the end zone as he double hand spikes it! 

Of all the rules they could've changed, they chose this.  Ok.
They made a lot of pretty substantial changes this year. Seems like this is a minor one they did to compromise with the players/fans. We obviously aren't going back to the days of WR's pulling cellphones or markers out of their socks after a TD. 

Funny how in gameday threads if a guy gets penalized for dunking over the goalposts, everyone complains about the "No Fun League"...but in this thread its a bunch of whining about the opposite. 

They made a lot of pretty substantial changes this year. Seems like this is a minor one they did to compromise with the players/fans. We obviously aren't going back to the days of WR's pulling cellphones or markers out of their socks after a TD. 

Funny how in gameday threads if a guy gets penalized for dunking over the goalposts, everyone complains about the "No Fun League"...but in this thread its a bunch of whining about the opposite. 
Obviously?

Announcer patter in our futures.

"We were going to go back and show you on replay how the left guard got to the second level to make the key block which sprung the play, but instead, before going to three minutes of commercials, we are going to show you, yet again, Ezekiel Elliot doing his "feed me move", a move so unique and entertaining the fans are clamoring for it, even though he did it after each of his five carries on that drive."

"Well I for one could not be happier with that decision.  The creativity involved in that gesture is off the charts and highly entertaining."

We saw Marshawn Lynch and Logan Ryan grab their crotches after touchdowns in recent years, Doug Baldwin pretending a ball was a piece of crap falling out of his ### in a Super Bowl, and Antonio Brown twerking after touchdowns. 

I can't wait for what is next. To hell with the actual games. I am all about dancing.

We saw Marshawn Lynch and Logan Ryan grab their crotches after touchdowns in recent years, Doug Baldwin pretending a ball was a piece of crap falling out of his ### in a Super Bowl, and Antonio Brown twerking after touchdowns. 

I can't wait for what is next. To hell with the actual games. I am all about dancing.
People will complain about anything. I bet you are a really fun person. You are complaining about people showing excitement for scoring which some of the best do roughly 12 times an entire season.

Marvin Lewis not a fan:

“I’m not for that at all,” Lewis said, via ESPN. “We had a good standard, and the whole standard has always been, you want to teach people how to play the game the correct way and go about it the correct way, and that’s not a very good example for young people.”

Is this fn guy kidding me with the guys he has on his team???????
The world we live in and the fake moral stand people take.... Exhibit A from Marvin Lewis. 

Celebrating TDs = Not a Fan

Punching Women = Gets you drafted in the 2nd round. 

Hankmoody said:
Just what the league needs, more kowtowing to the "look at me" generation.
Hey, its kinda like your posts then. We have a draft were people to walk on stage to get presented with a jersey with their name and #1 on it and they do a hug in the most outrageous clothing...but you are upset at celebrating a TD. The fake outrage is expected from you....as you are the guy who blocked me because I wasnt sensitive to Aaron Hernandez.  Killing people is OK for you, celebrating TDs is not. 

Funny that high school and college kids can play the game and love it while not putting on egregious displays of look-at-me self love.  Too bad some of the pros just can't act like pros.
Are you sure they love it? I see kids celebrating TDs when they are on the playground. Maybe celebrations are what they love. But you seem to have the "look at me take my fake moral stand" posts on lock without a problem. Why is it the people who have the most look at me posts, care about "look at me" celebrations? It appears the NFL commish agrees now from the feedback that crying about celebrations is bad.  As a HS football coach, our kids celebrate in practices because they can there and not in the games, so you trying to tell me what high school kids want is funny. Most kids want to celebrate TDs and some want to do like Barry. You know what happens when someone celebrates a TD in practice, a kid runs up to me and the other coaches and cries someones celebrated in practice. Wait no they dont. They just want to try harder to get in the end zone so they can celebrate back, and as a coach...I love my kids have the energy and passion to want to score and celebrate. A reward for their hard work. And now I just realized having them celebrate in practice is a bad thing, wait...I have not had a kid suspended in school or fail a class in 4 years, which if you coach football in school that is great. Celebrating is fine, crying about celebrating is not. Disrespect to other players isnt acceptable but those will get flagged. 

Are you sure they love it? I see kids celebrating TDs when they are on the playground. Maybe celebrations are what they love. But you seem to have the "look at me take my fake moral stand" posts on lock without a problem. Why is it the people who have the most look at me posts, care about "look at me" celebrations? It appears the NFL commish agrees now from the feedback that crying about celebrations is bad.  As a HS football coach, our kids celebrate in practices because they can there and not in the games, so you trying to tell me what high school kids want is funny. Most kids want to celebrate TDs and some want to do like Barry. You know what happens when someone celebrates a TD in practice, a kid runs up to me and the other coaches and cries someones celebrated in practice. Wait no they dont. They just want to try harder to get in the end zone so they can celebrate back, and as a coach...I love my kids have the energy and passion to want to score and celebrate. A reward for their hard work. And now I just realized having them celebrate in practice is a bad thing, wait...I have not had a kid suspended in school or fail a class in 4 years, which if you coach football in school that is great. Celebrating is fine, crying about celebrating is not. Disrespect to other players isnt acceptable but those will get flagged. 

Among some of the extremely valuable lessons that sports teach are about winning and losing with grace, respect for opponents and sportsmanship.  These are some qualities that seem to be more and more lacking in today's society - witness a lot of your responses to various people as an example.  

So yeah, let's just throw that all out so that we can get a lot more of the ridiculous sophomoric antics that do little but serve to aggrandize a single player in what is one of the ultimate team sports while throwing salt in the wounds of the opponent.  It doesn't surprise me in the least that you support this kind of nonsense.  The vacuous styling fits you to a tee.

Among some of the extremely valuable lessons that sports teach are about winning and losing with grace, respect for opponents and sportsmanship.  These are some qualities that seem to be more and more lacking in today's society - witness a lot of your responses to various people as an example.  

So yeah, let's just throw that all out so that we can get a lot more of the ridiculous sophomoric antics that do little but serve to aggrandize a single player in what is one of the ultimate team sports while throwing salt in the wounds of the opponent.  It doesn't surprise me in the least that you support this kind of nonsense.  The vacuous styling fits you to a tee.
Its as if you read what you want, but of course you do, you need to try to rationalize your fake outrage of celebrations... my very last line in your quote block of mine... "Disrespect to other players isnt acceptable but those will get flagged." Read man, for the love of god, it may stop your fake outrage you always seem to drum up for attention. 

I am embarrassed for you with this fake post of your outrage. You are crying about celebrations.   :lol:   Sad reaction to celebrations and players showing joy on so many levels. You say celebrating a TD throws out all that respect for other players, what type of blanket nonsense is that? Talking about respect and morals as you never seem to have any when you respond to people who disagree with you. 

Yes, I support celebrating achievements like scores... Celebrations are a way of life. You know, how 18 year olds have graduation parties, a celebration of look at me proportions as then end high school that they achieved what hundreds in their class did...but that look at me is OK, celebrating TDs is not. Or how women have Baby Showers, you know how so many millions of women do every year? Celebrating achievements is a way of life, so yes I support them. Wedding receptions where people give you gifts when you get married, whats more look at me? Look at me has been in our way of life for years, but show that fake outrage. All that vacuous styling that has been in our way of life for centuries. Its just nonsense as you say.

NFL players should be required to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs and observe how hockey players (for the most part) celebrate after scoring a goal.

I think Mavis is the only one with 'fake outrage'. My god, dude!  Chill the F out. I don't think anyone is outraged over this but you sure are getting your panties in a bunch about it. I simply think more meaningful, game-impacting rules should have been corrected before this was considered but I'm hardly 'outraged'. Some of you take these discussions to an annoying level. My god. 

Its as if you read what you want, but of course you do, you need to try to rationalize your fake outrage of celebrations... my very last line in your quote block of mine... "Disrespect to other players isnt acceptable but those will get flagged." Read man, for the love of god, it may stop your fake outrage you always seem to drum up for attention. 

I am embarrassed for you with this fake post of your outrage. You are crying about celebrations.   :lol:   Sad reaction to celebrations and players showing joy on so many levels. You say celebrating a TD throws out all that respect for other players, what type of blanket nonsense is that? Talking about respect and morals as you never seem to have any when you respond to people who disagree with you. 

Yes, I support celebrating achievements like scores... Celebrations are a way of life. You know, how 18 year olds have graduation parties, a celebration of look at me proportions as then end high school that they achieved what hundreds in their class did...but that look at me is OK, celebrating TDs is not. Or how women have Baby Showers, you know how so many millions of women do every year? Celebrating achievements is a way of life, so yes I support them. Wedding receptions where people give you gifts when you get married, whats more look at me? Look at me has been in our way of life for years, but show that fake outrage. All that vacuous styling that has been in our way of life for centuries. Its just nonsense as you say.

Just more rationalization from the look-at-me mentality that is so increasingly prevalent in today's society.  Maybe Joe can give you a participation trophy for this post, and provide you with a safe room in case you feel threatened by other's differing opinions snowflake.

Just more of the look-at-me mentality that is so increasingly prevalent in today's society.  Maybe Joe can give you a participation trophy for this post, and provide you with a safe room in case you feel threatened by other's differing opinions snowflake.
So much irony when you type. So we are clear, celebrating a TD is bad. Yuu insulting people on the internet is OK. Nope, no fake outrage here to see. 

I think Mavis is the only one with 'fake outrage'. My god, dude!  Chill the F out. I don't think anyone is outraged over this but you sure are getting your panties in a bunch about it. I simply think more meaningful, game-impacting rules should have been corrected before this was considered but I'm hardly 'outraged'. Some of you take these discussions to an annoying level. My god. 
Dont like being told you have fake outrage, dont have any. Have outrage about my opinion to your fake opinion all you like.

Just more rationalization from the look-at-me mentality that is so increasingly prevalent in today's society.  Maybe Joe can give you a participation trophy for this post, and provide you with a safe room in case you feel threatened by other's differing opinions snowflake.

TD celebrations=the end of society?

I just know I am going to use this at some point.

:lmao:

Emotion is great and players celebrating an important play is fun...that being said 30 year old men coming up with excessive premeditated individual celebrations are complete tools...
Think about this a second---

This is how out of touch with reality people are. People will actually mock, cry about, criticize and all out insult 30 year old men who get paid millions to score for celebrating for scoring in a game watched by the world as "tools"...

All while 30ish (or older) men then cry and complain about it for free on a website where they talk about their make believe teams to win a few bucks and bragging rights.

I ask those complaining, how do you celebrate when that said 30 yo player put you over the top for a win on Monday? I dont know, do people start or post in the bragging and winning threads here? Thats why all this complaining is fake outrage. 

I have always been the type that prefers good sportsmanship and showing respect to the opposing team.  I always looked up to guys like Barry Sanders but, that being said, I don't have a problem with guys celebrating.  I do think there is a line that gets crossed though.  I don't cared to see any scripted celebrations.  I like to see them celebrate in the moment, the pure joy of achievement is great to see.  I don't really care to see a guy twerking or pretending to crap out a football.

As for anyone who thinks that people are becoming too much of a "look at me" society I will admit that I feel that way too sometimes but it's crazy to ignore that it hasn't been around for a very, very long time.  As long as there have been humans on earth there have always been people who want to be in the spotlight.  There have always been people who feel they are better and they deserve everyone's attention.  I guess it's just human nature.

Think about this a second---

This is how out of touch with reality people are. People will actually mock, cry about, criticize and all out insult 30 year old men who get paid millions to score for celebrating for scoring in a game watched by the world as "tools"...

All while 30ish (or older) men then cry and complain about it for free on a website where they talk about their make believe teams to win a few bucks and bragging rights.

I ask those complaining, how do you celebrate when that said 30 yo player put you over the top for a win on Monday? I dont know, do people start or post in the bragging and winning threads here? Thats why all this complaining is fake outrage. 
I did think about for a second...Spontaneous celebrations are great...grown adults acting/figuring out ways to act like 10 year olds is not...if you think this is cool than your idea of entertainment is simply different than mine...I tend not to get  too fired-up about stuff sixth graders post on Instagram...

Users who are viewing this thread