What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL relaxes celebration rules...finally! (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
What say ye?  Yay or nay?  

I think I am ready for a renaiscance of the Merton Hanks chicken strut dance.

The NFL has relaxed its celebration rules, permitting group celebrations, the use of the ball as a prop and celebrations on the ground.
Personal fouls for having fun are going the way of the dinosaur. The change is long overdue. Even baseball, the vanguard of tradition and unwritten rules, has never restricted celebrations. The NFL was positively 19th century in what it allowed after dramatic touchdowns and game-changing plays. Expect 2017 to be the year of the celebration GIF.

Marvin Lewis not a fan:

“I’m not for that at all,” Lewis said, via ESPN. “We had a good standard, and the whole standard has always been, you want to teach people how to play the game the correct way and go about it the correct way, and that’s not a very good example for young people.”

Is this fn guy kidding me with the guys he has on his team???????

What say ye?  Yay or nay?  

I think I am ready for a renaiscance of the Merton Hanks chicken strut dance.

The NFL has relaxed its celebration rules, permitting group celebrations, the use of the ball as a prop and celebrations on the ground.
Personal fouls for having fun are going the way of the dinosaur. The change is long overdue. Even baseball, the vanguard of tradition and unwritten rules, has never restricted celebrations. The NFL was positively 19th century in what it allowed after dramatic touchdowns and game-changing plays. Expect 2017 to be the year of the celebration GIF.
Is "Meh" an option?  I honestly don't see it being that big of deal.

As long as they are sure to do long, elaborate celebrations after scoring while down three touchdowns, I'm all for it.

Though 7 weeks the TD Celebrations have been so bad that I wish they would not only ban them again but enforce jail time for these pathetic non spontaneous attempts at ... ??? I dunno know ??? Are they supposed to be funny??? I mean duck duck goose, hide and seek ... that's how they express the excitement over a touchdown???

Absolutely pathetic! It's uncomfortable to watch and I'm actually embarrassed for them. 

Baseball has high fives, forearm bashes, fist bumps, chest bumps all those spontaneous reactions to the moment ... they don't sit in a circle around home plate and play tiddlywinks. It's like having 11 John Sterling's come up with stupid non-spontaneous HR calls.

Though 7 weeks the TD Celebrations have been so bad that I wish they would not only ban them again but enforce jail time for these pathetic non spontaneous attempts at ... ??? I dunno know ??? Are they supposed to be funny??? I mean duck duck goose, hide and seek ... that's how they express the excitement over a touchdown???

Absolutely pathetic! It's uncomfortable to watch and I'm actually embarrassed for them. 

Baseball has high fives, forearm bashes, fist bumps, chest bumps all those spontaneous reactions to the moment ... they don't sit in a circle around home plate and play tiddlywinks. It's like having 11 John Sterling's come up with stupid non-spontaneous HR calls.
That was the dumbest celebration in the history of dumb celebrations. It really was embarrassing to watch. The Shannon Sharpe TD flex is a great one. These are just stupid.

As corny as the hide and seek celebration was it made my wife and I laugh.  I enjoyed it and prefer seeing celebrations like that compared to a lot of other ones.

When you rehearse it or it's not spontaneous, it's just stupid. TO with the Pom Poms was funny as hell. Sharpie, not as much.

When you rehearse it or it's not spontaneous, it's just stupid. TO with the Pom Poms was funny as hell. Sharpie, not as much.
When Chad Johnson and TO were doing the celebrations,  I would look forward to what they were doing.  I would try to tune into the Bengals game more in hopes Chad Johnson scored a TD.  The celebrations got banned and this year I think the players are trying to hard to come up with something great and its turning out to be not great.  I haven't minded some of them, but I don't really look forward to them anymore.

I thought this celebration was pretty awesome. Obviously pre-planned but really fun to watch. 

If NFL players are going to do planned celebrations, at least have some creativity. These are pretty pathetic. But from this generation what do you expect... 

As someone who firmly believes the best TD celebration is the Barry Sanders one - act like you’ve been there before and just hand the ball back to the ref - I actually didn’t mind the hide/seek.

Yes a little corny, but man these guys look like they were having fun.

And that was the point of allowing leeway here.

I’m taking a “Relax, Francis” approach - surely there are better things to focus on improving in the NFL than the quality’s of TD dances. 

A million times this.

I'm not really a baseball guy anymore (typically just tune in for October) but it's been a stark contrast watching that recently with guys coming around home plate and giving each other massive high fives or chest bumps and screaming in pure joy compared to NFL players who are practically pushing their teammates off them so they can "celebrate" with some routine they spent the last week practicing in front of the mirror..

I am guessing these TD "skits" are for the kids.

If you're over 12 yrs old and commenting on them, well...

A million times this.

I'm not really a baseball guy anymore (typically just tune in for October) but it's been a stark contrast watching that recently with guys coming around home plate and giving each other massive high fives or chest bumps and screaming in pure joy compared to NFL players who are practically pushing their teammates off them so they can "celebrate" with some routine they spent the last week practicing in front of the mirror..
This is always a big turn off to me. "Get away so the camera can look at me and see me celebrate my TD." Not to start a debate, but IMO Football relies more on your teammates than Baseball, and it's always great to see Baseball players celebrate as a team and as one. The bond in the dugout seems to be way stronger than on the NFL field. Although, OL and QBs seem to have a very strong bond. I often see QBs celebrating long TDs with their OL. But then again they're the only guys there :)  

Guess I'm just old fashioned, but the "me first" solo mentality is what has ruined NBA and it's a turn off in the NFL. 

I am guessing these TD "skits" are for the kids.

If you're over 12 yrs old and commenting on them, well...
That's quite a baiting statement.

It didn't take long for a "think of the children!" statement I suppose. You are aware that the NFL's primary audience is Males 18-49? 

When Chad Johnson and TO were doing the celebrations,  I would look forward to what they were doing.  I would try to tune into the Bengals game more in hopes Chad Johnson scored a TD.  The celebrations got banned and this year I think the players are trying to hard to come up with something great and its turning out to be not great.  I haven't minded some of them, but I don't really look forward to them anymore.
TO, Chad Johnson, and Steve Smith always did some funny, spontaneous stuff. These new kids need to take some lessons from the old-timers.

Because these idiots dont get enough airtime on Sundays, they're beggin to go viral online during the week.

Ban these celebrations, asap. I'm embarassed even watching them.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who firmly believes the best TD celebration is the Barry Sanders one - act like you’ve been there before and just hand the ball back to the ref - I actually didn’t mind the hide/seek.

Yes a little corny, but man these guys look like they were having fun.

And that was the point of allowing leeway here.

I’m taking a “Relax, Francis” approach - surely there are better things to focus on improving in the NFL than the quality’s of TD dances. 
The Steelers WR's "having fun" again. 

The hide and seek skit just seems out of place to me. Is this now what football fan wants to see? This is why they loosened the celebration rules?

What other teams have players acting like this other than the Steelers? Could you see players from the Packers or Patriots performing this "skit"? 

Yesterdays antics made me think of Antonio Browns twitter feed from the locker room last year.

Just foolish and cringe-worthy imo. Mike Tomlin should be embarrassed (again) and I feel bad for the other players on that team (Rothlisburger) that are now associated with this.

What other teams have players acting like this other than the Steelers? Could you see players from the Packers or Patriots performing this "skit"? 
Yes.

And since you mention it, plenty of other teams are in on the fun, including the Packers team you for some reason think is above a little fun in the end zone - think they did a team bobsled celly this year.

Seen a baseball homer from the Eagles, the Lions have a few, Indy celebrated one of their TDs with a safe cracking re-enactment of the movie HEAT, the Vikes’ duck duck goose routine, and more.

Human nature, I guess. When they we’re outlawed, you got a lot of “No Fun League” comments. When’s they are allowed there’s complaints that they are too showy or not up to the thespian expectations people have of what a TD celly “should be.”

Honestly, I don’t see the big deal with what PIT and many other teams are doing. Cheesy? Sure. But harmless and not really taking anything whatsoever from the game.

The Steelers WR's "having fun" again. 

The hide and seek skit just seems out of place to me. Is this now what football fan wants to see? This is why they loosened the celebration rules?

Yesterdays antics made me think of Antonio Browns twitter feed from the locker room last year.

Just foolish and cringe-worthy imo. Mike Tomlin should be embarrassed (again) and I feel bad for the other players on that team (Rothlisburger) that are now associated with this.
I'm with you. What's next? Players act out a scene from Romeo and Juliet?

Soulfly3 said:
your username/avi still makes me howl, every time I see it.

Dr Hux had no time for this cat.
It was an act.  Dr. Hux was pretending to not want him around, so nobody would be onto Cockroach as his tranquilizer supplier.

Soulfly3 said:
Because these idiots dont get enough airtime on Sundays, they're beggin to go viral online during the week.

Ban these celebrations, asap. I'm embarassed even watching them.
coming from one of the biggest attention w h ore s on the bored.  :rolleyes:

It's the world we live in now. Everyone wants their moment. It's the only thing that explains the constant cries for attention on FB, InstaGram, etc and so on. Can't expect the mental midgets of the NFL to be any different.

Maybe I hold NFL players to a higher standard.

These elite athletes that train, lift, practice, They've beaten the odds to get to this level.  ... smashing into the same elite athletes for 3 hours ...

Hide and seek seems childish and beneath them.  

That's quite a baiting statement.

It didn't take long for a "think of the children!" statement I suppose. You are aware that the NFL's primary audience is Males 18-49? 
No, no... not trying to bait anyone. Not "thinking of the children" here.

Doesn't matter who the primary audience is... they'll always be around. It's the fringe fans that this stuff is meant for. Just like those heart-warming, human interest stories from the sideline reporters... are the 18-49 males giving a crap about this stuff too?

No, no... not trying to bait anyone. Not "thinking of the children" here.

Doesn't matter who the primary audience is... they'll always be around. It's the fringe fans that this stuff is meant for. Just like those heart-warming, human interest stories from the sideline reporters... are the 18-49 males giving a crap about this stuff too?
Are you asking if men have the capacity to empathize, have a desire to be in community and make a difference in the world around them, are encouraged and inspired by folks who elevate others needs above their own?

I'm going with yes here.

It's the world we live in now. Everyone wants their moment. It's the only thing that explains the constant cries for attention on FB, InstaGram, etc and so on. Can't expect the mental midgets of the NFL to be any different.
Can't like this enough. My biggest pet peeve. The self absorbed finally have an outlet that makes it easy for them to fulfill that desire for attention and affirmation that they are such great, beautiful, lucky people. The NFL should be no different I suppose. It's the generation. 

Can't like this enough. My biggest pet peeve. The self absorbed finally have an outlet that makes it easy for them to fulfill that desire for attention and affirmation that they are such great, beautiful, lucky people. The NFL should be no different I suppose. It's the generation. 
Totally agree on the “Look At Me” generation and how annnoying and shallow it is.

But I think we’re starting to project too much here.

TD dances predate Instagram by a  quite a few years. Players wanting to celebrate and be creative doing it ain’t a new thang.

Are you asking if men have the capacity to empathize, have a desire to be in community and make a difference in the world around them, are encouraged and inspired by folks who elevate others needs above their own?

I'm going with yes here.
I can only speak for myself, but I couldn't give a rats #### what goes on in these people's lives. I am watching for the football and that is it. If there's a story behind the scenes I can watch it on a 30 for 30 someday. My wife on the other hand loves that stuff. In fact she was working on something for her class in the other room last night, and only came in to see the sideline stories and Ed Hochuli explaining penalties.

When I see something like "primary audience is Males 18-49" all that comes to mind is "how can get kids to watch?" Enter the end zone skit. I guarantee you kids viewed that hide & seek bit in a different light than the "target 18-49 males" that the NFL knows they will never lose.

Totally agree on the “Look At Me” generation and how annnoying and shallow it is.

But I think we’re starting to project too much here.

TD dances predate Instagram by a  quite a few years. Players wanting to celebrate and be creative doing it ain’t a new thang.
Agree. I was remarking on the act of pushing the teammate away so that they can do their TD dance. 

I wasn't a big fan of Chad Johnson's dances, but at least they were kind of funny and creative.
The cell phone hidden in the goalpost, not so funny. 

Not just TDs, but what drives me nuts is guys celebrating a tackle for loss/sack, meanwhile the offense is getting ready to snap the ball. This happened last year vs Dallas I believe where Rodgers caught a guy celebrating and got an offsides or 12 men on the field. It can hurt the team in the long run. Plus, so what, you did your job. Every time I make a patient better I don't do some hula dance at my desk, go down to one knee and do a lasso dance. I might do a fist pump but that's about it. Jermichael Finley doing his shark thing (which I actually thought was a rooster thing for the longest time because he ran 15 yards down the field like a chicken with his hand on top of his helmet)... meanwhile the offense wants to run a no huddle play... oh yeah wait for mr. dip #### to get back to the LOS. 

I guess at the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me, just can't understand why these guys need to be so me first. But yes, I am projecting way too much

/rant

I can only speak for myself, but I couldn't give a rats #### what goes on in these people's lives. I am watching for the football and that is it. If there's a story behind the scenes I can watch it on a 30 for 30 someday. My wife on the other hand loves that stuff. In fact she was working on something for her class in the other room last night, and only came in to see the sideline stories and Ed Hochuli explaining penalties.

When I see something like "primary audience is Males 18-49" all that comes to mind is "how can get kids to watch?" Enter the end zone skit. I guarantee you kids viewed that hide & seek bit in a different light than the "target 18-49 males" that the NFL knows they will never lose.
My 4 year old plays hide and seek. She doesn't really know what's going on in football games. My 7 1/2 year old nephews watch and know football. They don't play hide and seek. Might be going after the wrong demographic. Duck duck goose too... 

Users who are viewing this thread