Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Joe T

The Rise and Fall of ESPN

On 5/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, facook said:

Pleasepleaseplease

Last ESPN show I listened to regularly.  SVP is the best.  I'm probably overreacting and he's just hinting at a one time podcast appearance, but man a guy can hope.

It’s real. SVP and Rusillo are podcasting again (limited basis but still).

• Thanks 1

I just stumbled across the cable guide's description of ESPN's "High Noon": "ESPN adds another debate-centered show to its programming lineup, joining a crowded field that includes the likes of "First Take," "SportsNation," "Pardon the Interruption" and "Around The Horn."

At first I assumed that the description was written by some cynical intern at Comcast, but it looks like the blurb was actually submitted by ESPN. LOL.

1 hour ago, Joe Summer said:

I just stumbled across the cable guide's description of ESPN's "High Noon": "ESPN adds another debate-centered show to its programming lineup, joining a crowded field that includes the likes of "First Take," "SportsNation," "Pardon the Interruption" and "Around The Horn."

At first I assumed that the description was written by some cynical intern at Comcast, but it looks like the blurb was actually submitted by ESPN. LOL.

Just giving those guys some reps to take over PTI.

10 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

I would have added the words "yet another not asked for" to the middle of that.

• Laughing 1

From sports media reporter from Washington Post

Ben Strauss @benjstrauss

per ESPN, here is their current programming plan with sports cancelled

ESPN: live SportsCenter all day and night

ESPNEWS: video simulcasts of radio shows (First Take, Your Take, Will Cain) and taped programming to fill additional holes)

ESPN2: simulcast combo of ESPN/ESPNEWS

:doh:

5 minutes ago, Eephus said:

From sports media reporter from Washington Post

:doh:

That'll put butts on couches.

Bring back the strongman competitions, darts, rugby, every 3rd tier sport they filled time slots with in the 80s!

• Like 6

Got the TV package the tier below ESPN about a year ago and don't miss it a bit.  Good riddance 

Posted (edited)

ESPN should air in mini-marathons, "best of" programs. Where they show a few of the Chicago Bulls championship games, Soccer (Maradonna's Hand of God cheat, etc), Olympics, MLB, whatever. They could fill a LOT of airspace with that, and I would watch a metric #### ton of it. 

Edited by Jobber
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jobber said:

ESPN should air in mini-marathons, "best of" programs. Where they show a few of the Chicago Bulls championship games, Soccer (Maradonna's Hand of God cheat, etc), Olympics, MLB, whatever

Al Bundy's 4 touchdown game

• Like 5
  • Laughing 3

31 minutes ago, Jobber said:

ESPN should air in mini-marathons, "best of" programs. Where they show a few of the Chicago Bulls championship games, Soccer (Maradonna's Hand of God cheat, etc), Olympics, MLB, whatever. They could fill a LOT of airspace with that, and I would watch a metric #### ton of it. 

They're not that smart, or we wouldn't be here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2020 at 3:24 PM, Jobber said:

ESPN2 to become ESPN: The Ocho for 24 hours on Sunday 3/22:

Midnight    Johnsonville ACL Cornhole Championships: 2020 Kickoff Battle    ESPN8
     2 a.m.    World Axe Throwing League: 2019 World Championship    ESPN8
     4 a.m.    U.S. Open Ultimate Championships    ESPN8
     6 a.m.    2019 Spikeball College Championship    ESPN8
     7 a.m.    2019 Las Vegas Highland Games    ESPN8
     7:30 a.m.    Putt Putt Championships    ESPN8
     8 a.m.    2019 IDEAL Electricians National Championship    ESPN8
     9 a.m.    E:60 as part of The Ocho    ESPN8
     9:30 a.m.    51st National Stone Skipping Competition    ESPN8
     10:30 a.m.    2007 World Sport Stacking Championships    ESPN8
     11:30 a.m.    2019 World Sign Spinning Championship    ESPN8
     Noon    2006 Krystal World Hamburger Eating Championship    ESPN8
     1 p.m.    2006 Johnsonville Brat Eating World Championship    ESPN8
     2 p.m.    European TramDriver Championship    ESPN8
     3 p.m.    2019 Stupid Robot Fighting League    ESPN8
     3:30 p.m.    46th Annual Cherry Pit Spitting Championship    ESPN8
     4 p.m.    Professional Arm Wrestling Championships    ESPN8
     4:30 p.m.    2019 Golden Tee World Championship    ESPN8
     5 p.m.    2018 Classic Tetris World Championship    ESPN8
     5:30 p.m.    E:60 on ESPN8 Presented by Liberty Mutual    ESPN8
     6:30 p.m.    America’s Dodgeball Continental Cup: USA vs. Canada    ESPN8
     7:30 p.m.    2019 Jelle’s Marble Runs    ESPN8
     8 p.m.    Slippery Stairs: College Tour    ESPN8
     8:30 p.m.    2019 Death Diving World Championship    ESPN8
     9:30 p.m.    Dodge Juggle 3    ESPN8
     10:30 p.m.    Moxie Games 3    ESPN8

Edited by Walking Boot
  • Like 1

Does it bother anyone else right now that most of the readable content right now is stuck behind their ESPN+ paywall? right now their top posted articles require ESPN+ access. Their top front page video? Justin Bieber play the "floor is lava" game. 

Pathetic. 

• Like 1

Hopefully by having their ratings drop here, once things come back eventually they’ll realize people just want to watch sports and not all the other talk show garbage they run all day. 

35 minutes ago, IMAX 3D said:

Does it bother anyone else right now that most of the readable content right now is stuck behind their ESPN+ paywall? right now their top posted articles require ESPN+ access. Their top front page video? Justin Bieber play the "floor is lava" game. 

Pathetic. 

Especially when places like the Athletic have made their content free for 90 days.

17 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Especially when places like the Athletic have made their content free for 90 days.

The more I stew on this, the more I'm actually pissed off. 

18 hours ago, IMAX 3D said:

Pathetic. 

I actually just yelled the same thing to my GF as I was trying to open up an article. on their site  SUPER LAME.

6 hours ago, IMAX 3D said:

The more I stew on this, the more I'm actually pissed off. 

As you should be.  The competition is basically giving you samples to try for free while ESPN still expects you to bend the knee and pay.

I'm just shocked ANYONE would pay for espn+ or anything else they charge for. The network has turned into complete garbage.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

What's even on ESPN+ these days besides the 30 for 30 stuff?  Peyton's place is being aired on the regular family of networks.

On 5/24/2017 at 12:42 PM, Joe T said:

What was the point the started the downfall of ESPN? Sportscenter is now basically unwatchable.

Was it the Kaitlyn Jenner courage award? Was it when Disney bought ESPN? Was it the constant pressure for diversity among sports anchors? All of the above? Other? 

Once it became a controlled network by ABC/Disney and the likes it changed everything.

I don't enjoy watching sports with a ticker constantly updating women's college basketball, etc...they went too far in trying to appeal to niche markets and took for granted that others would just keep watching because they are mostly the only game in town. FS1/Fox Sports is set up completely different. 

Huge Jason Whitlock fan if that tells you where I am at on the Sports Spectrum. 

Hate sports tickers that never stop while trying to watch a Top 10 College Football game Live...nothing could be more important to more people simultaneously than the game we are all tuning into, why ruin it with a ticker when so many websites can offer that info for those that desperately want to know what the LaCrosse team did earlier. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

What's even on ESPN+ these days besides the 30 for 30 stuff?  Peyton's place is being aired on the regular family of networks.

Oklahoma roundup

ESPN just named Michael Jordan the greatest college basketball player ever.  Most people I know will tell you he wasn't even the best player on his own team (Worthy) and may have been behind Perkins.   But if nothing else I'm sure Ripleys is triggered so there's that.

Where's Sheik, anyway?

On 4/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, Ramblin Wreck said:

ESPN just named Michael Jordan the greatest college basketball player ever.  Most people I know will tell you he wasn't even the best player on his own team (Worthy) and may have been behind Perkins.   But if nothing else I'm sure Ripleys is triggered so there's that.

I think a lot of these things are meant to trigger people. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:15 AM, irish eyes said:

I'm just shocked ANYONE would pay for espn+ or anything else they charge for. The network has turned into complete garbage.  

I paid for ESPN+ for live soccer content. Definitely worth way more than the cost in normal times.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, rockaction said:

Where's Sheik, anyway?

Taking a break. Only question is whether it was self-imposed or not.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 7:58 AM, Capella said:

It was voted on by fans y’all. Jeez. 

HARBINGER OF DOOM

1 minute ago, [scooter] said:

Ah, I see. Thanks, [scooter].

16 minutes ago, [scooter] said:
On 4/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, rockaction said:

Where's Sheik, anyway?

May not be the same thing, but I had to bow out of the covid thread.  Was losing my mind, for reasons that do not need to be voiced here.  My life is so much better not going in there.

3 minutes ago, facook said:

May not be the same thing, but I had to bow out of the covid thread.  Was losing my mind, for reasons that do not need to be voiced here.  My life is so much better not going in there.

Don't blame you. I started to personally get annoyed by a poster there and said a not-over-the-line thing or two, but have thought way better of it and am just moving on also. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Don't blame you. I started to personally get annoyed by a poster there and said a not-over-the-line thing or two, but have thought way better of it and am just moving on also. 

Frankly I'm surprised I didn't get reported/blasted a while back. Only cause the guy I overreacted to is a good dude, we PMed, and it's all good.  But yeah....just need to stay away.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, facook said:

Frankly I'm surprised I didn't get reported/blasted a while back. Only cause the guy I overreacted to is a good dude, we PMed, and it's all good.  But yeah....just need to stay away.

COVID-19 thread is the new PSF.

• Thanks 1