What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moving Zeke - am I crazy for thinking this? (1 Viewer)

Apologies if this should not be in the Shark Pool.

On talent alone, Ezekiel Elliott is a top 3 dynasty asset in just about all formats.  But I'm thinking back on the past year....the domestic violence accusation (that the league is supposedly still investigating), the "boob grab" episode in New Orleans, news today of a "head injury" from a "minor car accident" this past weekend causing him to be held out of OTAs.....what else?

I'm wondering - is he a legitimate risk for some off the field shenanigans messing with his career?  Given his transcendent talent and how the stars aligned for his incredible rookie season, is he at his maximum value for trade purposes....is it the "shark move" to move him now?

It's possible that he's at his highest value, but it's also reasonable to believe he can maintain this high value for several more years. He's a bit of a risk for off-field issues, but you'd be hard pressed to get your value back from trading him.  Maybe if you could get OBJ or Mike Evans.  You don't want to sell for lower value.

You could say ADP's highest value ever was after he ran for 296 yards against the Chargers in his rookie year. But it was an okay decision not to sell him then.

I don't see a problem with moving him for the right deal.  Maximize his value and get elite pieces in return.  I wouldn't be looking to get equal value thought.  If it was an overpay then I would move him. 

the "boob grab" episode in New Orleans,
That was actually in Dallas but yes he has some degree of off field concerns. Mainly that he's just out and about and enjoying all that being a famous Dallas Cowboy has to offer so in that sense nothing major, he's just has a lot of opportunities and good times come his way and he'll probably learn to be more careful and when to say no.

It  Maybe if you could get OBJ or Mike Evans. 
I had a league where I agonized for over a week on dealing either Michael Thomas and pick 1.2 or Michael Thomas, 1.6 and my 2018#1 for him and I eventually said no. During those trade talks that owner had let me know that both the Odell and Evans owners had offered him straight up and after I gave my final no decision he immediately dealt him straight up for Odell. So yea, I think that's the range you should be looking at unless you are doing 2 for 1 and one of those parts needs to at least be the kind of guy who would go in round one of a startup.

On talent alone, Ezekiel Elliott is a top 3 dynasty asset in just about all formats.  But I'm thinking back on the past year....the domestic violence accusation (that the league is supposedly still investigating), the "boob grab" episode in New Orleans, news today of a "head injury" from a "minor car accident" this past weekend causing him to be held out of OTAs.....what else?

I'm wondering - is he a legitimate risk for some off the field shenanigans messing with his career?  Given his transcendent talent and how the stars aligned for his incredible rookie season, is he at his maximum value for trade purposes....is it the "shark move" to move him now?
This is appropriate for SP and not AC since there's no impact on your roster discussed. 

Yes and very likely yes.  You'd definitely get the world for him now.  It just depends on the offer and your risk profile.  I'm a firm believer in selling anyone at full market value.  All they can do is depreciate.  The primary problem is getting fair value.  Very few teams can or will pony up what it takes to get him.  You'd need one of probably 5 guys to anchor the trade and then depending on other factors (salary/contract, lineups, scoring) maybe some pieces with it.  I have him in one league and it would take OBJ plus something moderate like Devante Parker to get Zeke.  Too frequently the offers you're getting are from guys hoping you'll get nervous about one-year-wonder and other risks and will sell low.  I was offered Gurley and Diggs and while I am still mostly a believer in Gurley, it wasn't enough.  If I didn't trust Zeke though that's the kind of trade that would work on me.

You could say ADP's highest value ever was after he ran for 296 yards against the Chargers in his rookie year. But it was an okay decision not to sell him then.
Perhaps, but it would also have been ok to trade him for MJD/Gore and Brandon Marshall/Larry Fitzgerald as well.

It's impossible to predict if he will have off-field issues in the future, but you are making too much out of his current ones. Of course the domestic violence accusation is a serious one, but almost all of the evidence has pointed to that one not being valid, including but not limited to the fact that he's been cleared criminally.

The "boob grab" was stupid but 20 year old dudes do some stupid things and she looked like she was in on the joke at the time.

Being a passenger in a car accident? I'm not even sure how that's a red flag unless there's more to the story.

With that said, anyone is tradeable at the right price. I wouldn't settle for less though because of these issues.

NEVER STAY MARRIED TO A PLAYER

That said ... it would take a couple of really really good pieces and draft picks to move Zeke. 

I'd move anyone if the price was right. I'd would have to be a deal i couldn't refuse to move Zeke though.

I got stuck on "transcendent talent."  

But no, you're not crazy as long as you get a haul for one of the elite FF RBs. 

As others have mentioned you likely do not trade Elliot unless you can get someone to really overpay for him.

Its worth exploring, especially if the rest of your team isn't good enough to compete for a title this year. There are likely only a couple teams in any league who have the player and draft capital to overpay for him.

I would not part with OBJ for Elliot but I would consider Mike Evans to be pretty fair straight up. In a situation where you may not be playing for this year Evans could be more valuable in the long term. That said Elliot is in rare territory as a RB who could have another 3 top 12 seasons, possibly more. Most RB that outlook would only be one or two seasons. I think that by itself makes Elliot a difficult player to move. 

thriftyrocker said:
Not the same as this.

Boone22 said:
I moved Zeke back in March... Dynasty 12 team PPR, 1.5 for TEs 24 man in season rosters 

1.04 became McCaffery

i traded 2.04 along with my original 2.05 for a 2018 1st (mid to late)

with 3.04 I took Trubisky
I don't think you got enough. The pick is good, but the rb or receiver you got back should have been better. Turn Ajayi into Gurley and I would like it or turn Dez into Hopkins, Hilton, or Michael Thomas and I would like it.

Boone22 said:
I moved Zeke back in March... Dynasty 12 team PPR, 1.5 for TEs 24 man in season rosters 

1.04 became McCaffery

i traded 2.04 along with my original 2.05 for a 2018 1st (mid to late)

with 3.04 I took Trubisky
Fwiw, I think you sold cheap. But then I'm not as big on Ajayi as some. 

As others have mentioned you likely do not trade Elliot unless you can get someone to really overpay for him.

Its worth exploring, especially if the rest of your team isn't good enough to compete for a title this year. There are likely only a couple teams in any league who have the player and draft capital to overpay for him.

I would not part with OBJ for Elliot but I would consider Mike Evans to be pretty fair straight up. In a situation where you may not be playing for this year Evans could be more valuable in the long term. That said Elliot is in rare territory as a RB who could have another 3 top 12 seasons, possibly more. Most RB that outlook would only be one or two seasons. I think that by itself makes Elliot a difficult player to move. 
As an Evans owner, currently among the best teams in a 32 team league I'd give serious thought to swapping evans for Zeke straight but those three, Antonio Brown and DJ are the only ones in that echelon imo. (Some will say brown isn't)

Last edited by a moderator:
In a RB heavy-league I offered Evans "and more" (would have likely been a combo of picks and maybe a player or two of decent value... for Zeke and was told "no way".  

I own Zeke in a PPR with absolutely no depth whatsoever and I am not looking to trade him.

Users who are viewing this thread