What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me plan for my Memorial Day BBQ (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
We are having ~60 people over on Sunday afternoon for a BBQ.  Nothing too fancy:  hot dogs, hamburgers and salad for food and beer and wine for adult drinks.  Roughly 30 adults and 30 children.

How many hamburgers/hot dogs should I get?  How much beer and wine?  There will be a heavier than average foreign/rugby contingent so round up on the alcohol.  I will also have some vodka and whiskey for some of my buds who prefer that to beer.

You don't BBQ Hamburgers and hot dogs, you grill them. 

Gender mix? 
How many hours? 

30 Adults = 30 burgers 30 hot dogs. (some will have more, some will have less)
30 Kids = 15 burgers 20 hot dogs 

Assuming a 50/50 blend of Male/Female:
Male = 4 beers / 0.5 glass wine  (60 Beers / 8 glasses wine)
Femaie = 0.5 beers / 2 glass wine (8 beers / 30 glasses wine) 

Without more info I would account for
4 cases of beer. Given heavy drinking crowd I'd say 5 to be safe... especially if more than 2-3 hours
10-12 bottles wine
12lbs Ground beef made into 48 quarter-pound patties
50 Hot Dogs (Hebrew National or Nathans ONLY)

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a bunch of lamb burgers with a mint pesto or maybe blue cheese.  Depending on size of burgers - 1/4lb or less, I'd go with 2 burgers per person and 2 dogs per person - should be plenty to make sure you don't run out but not horribly overdone.  About a half a cup of potato salad per person (skip the everyday stuff - need to go with the sour cream, chive and bacon version).  I'd go with Ceasar salad - about 12-15 heads of romaine.  

ETA:  Half lamb burgers - half regular (maybe 50/50 beef/pork blend).

hay chad may i suggest chunkecheese for ure holiday party needs?  thie kids can have fun and there is full bar for parents to drink.  it is always fun when u throw up in the ball pit before your gramkid does

90 burgers, 45 hotdogs (Nathans) and 45 brats (Usingers, have them overnighted right now.) One 1/4 barrel and three cases of wine (white, blush & red).  If it is going to be above 85 degrees consider having a set up for sangria.

IMO if you're looking to jazz up a burger, go 25% Breakfast Sausage / 75% 80/20 Ground Beef 

Hot Dogs, shake some Tony Chacheres seasoning on them right before pulling them off the grill. 

IMO if you're looking to jazz up a burger, go 25% Breakfast Sausage / 75% 80/20 Ground Beef 

Hot Dogs, shake some Tony Chacheres seasoning on them right before pulling them off the grill. 
hey idol - grown man does not use the words 'jazz up"

Gender mix? 
How many hours? 

4 cases of beer. Given heavy drinking crowd I'd say 5 to be safe... especially if more than 2-3 hours
10-12 bottles wine

Adults will be evenly split between sexes.  

It will start at 4pm and most will leave between 7-9 but I am sure we will have some stay until 12-1.

Look at you, Mr. Fancy pants grilling vs BBQ. :lol:

Adults will be evenly split between sexes.  

It will start at 4pm and most will leave between 7-9 but I am sure we will have some stay until 12-1.

Look at you, Mr. Fancy pants grilling vs BBQ. :lol:
Okay so assuming 4ish hours at a semi-heavy drinking pace:
Men = 8 beers - 1 glass wine x 15 men = 120 beers / 4 bottles wine
Women = 1 beer - 4 glasses wine x 15 women = 15 beers / 15 bottles wine
Thats 5.5 cases beer and 19 bottles of wine

Factoring in for late night crowd, I would assume:
7-8 Cases beer / 2 Cases Wine
Will likely have some leftover but that's better than running out, as a host, IMO. 

I would also plan on some late night snacks around 9-10pm. Sausage/Cheese plates are great for this and pretty easy.  Figure half pound each of sausage and cheese for each adult guest you expect to be still around at that point. 

120 Burgers and 120 dogs for 30 adults (male/female mix) and 30 kids?  :shock:
Rugby guys can be pretty big.

When the ex wife and I were dating, one night when visiting Copenhagen (we lived in Brazil at the time) we ended up at an Irish pub, had a few pints. Noticed a bunch of large brawny guys by the entrance in some sort of team jerseys. They were drinking pretty pretty heavily. So on the way out, maybe at 2 am we asked whether they were a sort of a team,which in fact they were, a rugby team. "Oh", the ex asks, "did you win"? "Oh, no. The game's only tomorrow" was the answer.

So double up on the beers, and make them imports ;)

I do something similar, but I go with a higher ratio of pork to beef. I do 2 parts beef, 1 part pork. Awesome burgers

You got the coin.  If you're gonna do burgers, get that grass fed organic stuff at Costco.  Phenomenal taste.  Costco 1/4 pound beef dogs, then get some great hot links or specialty sausages as well.  Some quality sides and booze and you're good.

Get desserts too...especially cheesecake.

And games, like corn hole and badminton (don't hate).

Have easy access to bathroom so people aren't all over your house stealing ####.

If swimming is involved, assign lifeguard duties if small kids.

Play that closing time song on repeat when it's time for everyone to gtfo.

[icon] said:

Gender mix? 
How many hours? 

10-12 bottles wine

No jello shots?

Large Brawny dudes change everything, particularly if the only side in salad and some may stay until 1 am ---- which means grilling a 2nd set of food for the late night drinkers!

Minimum 90 burgers and 90 Hotdogs

30 adults x average of 2.5 drinks pp = 75 drinks - a few cases of beer and a case of wine ought to do it at an absolute minimum

You can use the leftovers for a post party party.

Who in the heck can't plan a BBQ?
Apparently this guy.

Binky The Doormat said:
Make a bunch of lamb burgers with a mint pesto or maybe blue cheese.  Depending on size of burgers - 1/4lb or less, I'd go with 2 burgers per person and 2 dogs per person - should be plenty to make sure you don't run out but not horribly overdone.  About a half a cup of potato salad per person (skip the everyday stuff - need to go with the sour cream, chive and bacon version).  I'd go with Ceasar salad - about 12-15 heads of romaine.  

120 burgers and 120 hotdogs for 30 adults and 30 kids.

:shock:

Binky The Doormat said:

120 burgers and 120 hotdogs for 30 adults and 30 kids.

:shock:
Yeah, yeah - I get it.  See ABeaver's reply above - so I'm 30 burgers & dogs off.  

We are having ~60 people over on Sunday afternoon for a BBQ.  Nothing too fancy:  hot dogs, hamburgers and salad for food and beer and wine for adult drinks.  Roughly 30 adults and 30 children.

How many hamburgers/hot dogs should I get?  How much beer and wine?  There will be a heavier than average foreign/rugby contingent so round up on the alcohol.  I will also have some vodka and whiskey for some of my buds who prefer that to beer.
Some people would only hire one party planner for a bbq of this size but quite frankly, I never go less than two.  One for the food/drinks/decoration and the other for ensuring the staff you bring in for it stay on task.  Nothing worse than a server taking a smoke break when you only need them to work 4 hours.  Go with two, you won't be unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread