What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much is your media tab? (1 Viewer)

wikkidpissah

Footballguy
I'm an older guy, never been one who's had to have everything anyway and, in my 20some years as a widower, my time has been more important than money so i only worked long enough to pay the bills. From the beginning of personal media, i've been astounded at what folks can spend on being hooked up - so much so that i feel i've lost track of what the average outlay is.

So let me know, if you would - phone, video, net, subscriptions et al - what do you spend on electronic entertainment, connection & communication. Just the overall number if you want, but feel free to itemize and give some idea of your age & fam sitch. TIA -

2 Verizon Iphones - $150/month...I know, ridiculous. Family of 5, but right now only two phones. I use a work phone, so it's just my wife and 14 year old daughter with phones. But, I have sons turning 12 and 10 this Summer, so we'll have more phones soon. I'll probably want to go with anyone other than Verizon when we add phones.

Verizon Fios for internet and cable - $125/month

Netflix - $10

Not going to include Amazon Prime because I'd probably have that even if I didn't get the streaming content.

41 - project fi -40 ish, internet - 50, net flix 10, amazon prime 100 per year.  Not bad I guess.

Cell plan is company paid, DirecTV is down to $57/month, internet $45 a month, real-debrid $3 a month, IPVanish $7 a month.

All in, looks like I'm around $112.

Never think about it much, but I did cut the cord on cable/sat tv.

100 for 2 phones

75 for internet

10 for Spotify (switching to google/youtube red soon)

10 for Netflix

10 for SmoothStreams

Amazon Prime annually

$110 Sprint Unlimited (2 phones)

$40 innerwebz

$3 RealDeb

roughly a cool buck fiddy a month - was almost double before i cut the cord  :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
~$500 per month includes cell phones, cable, internet and Netflix for 5 people.

ETA: cell bill includes $100 per month payments on phones

Around $375 all in on phone, Internet, cable, Netflix and Spotify per month, then plus Amazon Prime annually. Have to have highest speed Internet with 2 people working from home full time. Also I don't want to cut the cord so to speak, I want to enjoy the convenience and options of what comes with the cord, and then add everything else in terms of entertainment options that keep emerging as well.

Fios bill around $240/month, DirecTV averages $50/month bc I only use it during NFL season (stupid Chargers), 2 cell phones for me and wife totals around $200/month. Netflix $8/month. Amazon Prime annually. Looks like just over $500/month. Sounds pretty stupid and high when I type it all out like that, damn.

@wikkidpissah are you looking to update/acquire new tech?  Specifically what tech? I will assume cell phone and internet but what else?  Music? TV/movie watching? Gaming? Hardware like tablets, PCs or game consoles?

Are you thinking high end stuff or budget options or something in between?

cel $20, works in all of EU with no roaming fees

Internet, $20 gives me 4G speeds (mobile router). Once I settle in a more permanent location I'll go 300MB up/down fiber for $40

I may splash out on Netflix or HBO streaming at some point

@wikkidpissah are you looking to update/acquire new tech?  Specifically what tech? I will assume cell phone and internet but what else?  Music? TV/movie watching? Gaming? Hardware like tablets, PCs or game consoles?

Are you thinking high end stuff or budget options or something in between?
Not really - think about smartphone and netflix/amazon (seems like those who have one have both - whydat?) now and again, but it just aint so much me.

More a fascination w those who have EVERYTHING - all apps & subscriptions & PPV & media rooms and are really living in a different century from me connectivitywise. Those having threesomes w Siri & Alexa, know'm'sayin?

ETA: I still think about our Leukemia Boy comix, Chaka - MOF, i've integrated some of the regeneration stuff into a vampire novel i'm working on. Do you remember that?

75 / mo DirecTV

10 / mo Spotify

55 / mo Cell for two (covered by work)

30 / mo Home Internet

I guess that's 115 / mo out of pocket

Dot.  Will return with my number after I feed all the figures into Watson.  

Not sure how you guys are getting two phones for $100 bucks.  I need some of that action.  

$190 -   5 T-mobile phones 

$10 -     Netflix

$9 -        Hulu

$0 -         Company paid cable Internet

2 Verizon Iphones - $150/month...I know, ridiculous. Family of 5, but right now only two phones. I use a work phone, so it's just my wife and 14 year old daughter with phones. But, I have sons turning 12 and 10 this Summer, so we'll have more phones soon. I'll probably want to go with anyone other than Verizon when we add phones.

Verizon Fios for internet and cable - $125/month

Netflix - $10

Not going to include Amazon Prime because I'd probably have that even if I didn't get the streaming content.
almost exactly this.  

Cell plan is company paid, DirecTV is down to $57/month, internet $45 a month, real-debrid $3 a month, IPVanish $7 a month.

All in, looks like I'm around $112.
okay, what's the secret?  I'm still trying to get my wife to agree to cutting it out but for $57 I could let it go.

uverse internet & cable - $230.  Gigabit internet ( actually see about 700k down ), HBO & Showtime/Starz packages.

Hulu/Netflix $20

AT&T phone - 5 lines, 15 Gb shared - 270 with phone payments ( 3 or 4 now, I think ).

Amazon Prime, but mostly for the shipping.  Almost never use the streaming.  

almost exactly this.  

okay, what's the secret?  I'm still trying to get my wife to agree to cutting it out but for $57 I could let it go.
I already had a lot of discounts baked in, but then I cut to just their choice plus plan and eliminated all movie channels. 2 TVs with DVR. 

Monthly?

$40 for internet

$55 for mobile.

$6 for Hulu

$11 for Netflix

$8 for Amazon Prime.

$12 to NPR

$2 for Saveur magazine.

surprised how economical responders are. in some way, i thought spending for media was more a source of pride than saving on it, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

ATT 4 IPhones unlimited data shared plan 125.00 

Comcast Internet and Cable package with 2 DVRs but no home phone 135.00

@wikkidpissah Forgive me because I'm about to overproduce.

The reason people have multiple streaming accounts is because they all provide different content.  Some content overlaps but if you are a cord cutter and want to get specific shows then you likely will have to use more than one streaming service.

We are going to be cutting the cable* sometime within the next few weeks.  We currently have an XBox One 1TB and a Roku stick as our potential content delivery systems but I am thinking about going with the Amazon Fire Stick because you can add the Kodi Media Organization/Delivery app, which makes things much easier when ditching cable*.  I am still researching but the logic behind my final decision will principally be ease of use. We don't want to have to constantly shift between inputs on our television to get different channels.  The XBox One may be a better option as I can plug an OTA antenna (Over-The-Air) directly to it to get our local stations, which I don't think can be done with a Fire.  I might be able to wire an OTA to the Fire if I go through another device like a Tablo OTA DVR but I am still researching that option and I'm not sure I really want to add another device to our developing home system. There is #### ton of work necessary to properly implement cutting the cable so that it will be satisfying for all users.

*Side note: most cord cutters report less satisfaction than they previously had with their cable service because they lose a good deal of ease of access, which is cable's principal advantage.

Speaking of OTAs, I am in the process of researching them and that will be about a $150 cost (plus professional installation) somewhere in the near future.  If it works as well as I hope we will cut the cable entirely and save quite a bit monthly.

We currently have Netflix ($9/mo) and Amazon Prime accounts (about $100/year), but the latter we would have anyway as we do much of our household shopping through Amazon and the free delivery is a huge bonus.  So far, we rarely use the streaming content.  If we cut the cable we will add Sling TV (but there are many other options like Playstation Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu TV etc.). For us, Sling seems like the best option and it will run about $50/month (normally $25 but we will add HBO for $15/mo and Showtime for $10/mo).  

Which leads to our current cable cost of $182.47/month which is just insane considering we watch 25 total channels out of the 300 or so we pay for.  It's a stupid waste of money.  So if the cable cutting goes well we stand to save $132.47 off our monthly cable bill, which is awesome although I still need to factor in initial hardware outlays when calculating savings.

Our internet runs $80/mo and that gives us up to 150 mbps which is far, far more than we need but if things go well with the OTA then over the next few months we are upgrading wi-fi and connected access throughout the house and will use a lot more of the bandwidth than we do currently.

For devices my wife and I each have one cell phone (iPhone 6 for her and Google Pixel XL for me) but both are paid by our respective companies.  We each have a tablet, hers is an iPad mini which costs an additional $20/mo to have it connected to Verizon for LTE access, mine is an older iPad Gen2 which I almost exclusively use as an e-reader (it's wireless only so no added cost).

I have one personal laptop that I use for work and gaming. I own my company so separating my work and personal PC is unnecessary (I'm also the IT guy).  I have three other laptops which were work acquisitions, only one gets used occasionally because it is the only one that communicates with our scanner (home office situation so it's all in my possession at all times).

We pay for a landline because...my wife.  That runs $34.89/mo. But that is going to change to a VOIP (voice over IP) number after I rekerjigger the innernets in the house.

We have three televisions (main living space, master bedroom and downstairs flat) and we are going to upgrade one of them to something much, much bigger which will run us in the neighborhood of $3,000 when we finally pull the trigger.

Wife has an Apple watch and I have a Withings Steel HR ($189) which is a mechanical watch that has limited "smart" functionality but it connects to an app on my phone so I feel I should mention it here.  Not sure if the wife's watch has an additional monthly cost through Verizon. 

My other gadgets mostly relate to cooking two of which are IoT (Internet of Things) devices so I think they relate here.  My Joule ($189) immersion circulator which is the workhorse of my kitchen and my Cinder precision grill (which I paid $266 for in May of 2016 and I don't even have yet. Stupid Indiegogo) will, hopefully get close to as much work as my Joule. Both connect to my phone and/or wi-fi so I control them from anywhere in my house.

I am also researching the Amazon Echo devices vs Google Home devices to see if they have value as a whole home control system (media center, thermostat, lighting, security etc).  If I jump into the deep end on that stuff it will cost...I have no idea yet.

I think that's everything.

Monthly..

$80/cable internet

$175/DirecTV (includes MLB Extra Innings)

$75/cell phone through Verizon (includes monthly payments for iPhone 7 Plus)

~150 for phones(2)/tv/internet service and ~40 in various subscription services.

2 phones at $30 each - google fi (company reimburses mine)

$60 internet from AT&T

$30 PS Vue

$10 Netflix

+ Amazon Prime

We also redbox occasionally for $2

Comcast $330.00 a month and that includes internet and alarm 

Netflix 10.00

Amazon Prime 15.00 with music plus

Verizon 320.00--4 iPhones 

Probably another $25 or so a month with my two girls buying stuff from the Apple Store. 

We have way too many gadgets in our house. 

Certainly was in the late 90s, I remember lots of my friends used to brag about having 500, 1000, 2000 music CDs, spending $300-400 a month on discs. Same with VHS video collections, DVD collections, etc. Go to a dude's house and a whole bookcase would be filled, filled, with DVDs. Boxes stacked double-height on all the shelves. They would buy, buy, buy and I never understood it. I remember figuring out that if my buddy stopped buying new stuff that day, and quit his job, it would take him 2 or 3 years to just listen to or watch the media he already owned. I don't know what the impulse was to own but never use. I guess the security of just having it if he wanted it.

Lots of them never stopped for 2 or 3 generations of tech. Re-buy all their VHS movies on DVD then again on Blu-Ray. Re-buy all their music CDs from iTunes as MP3s. Same thing they'd own several times over. 
yeah, it was that way with connectivity when i "retired" from the poker room around the turn of the decade when iphones were becoming common.

surprised how economical responders are. in some way, i thought spending for media was more a source of pride than saving on it, but that doesnt seem to be the case.
Saving money on media delivery is the new...I don't know something really popular.  Is bottle tossing still a thing?  What about dabbing?

so, you folks cutting the cord - would you pay to have a "live" - news networks, sports (espn, local sports network), nfl network option - capacity from your stick and how much?

Saving money on media delivery is the new...I don't know something really popular.  Is bottle tossing still a thing?  What about dabbing?
I can make a bottle land on my head while i dab. Did you see my ETA about Leukemia Boy? Do you remember that?

so, you folks cutting the cord - would you pay to have a "live" - news networks, sports (espn, local sports network), nfl network option - capacity from your stick and how much?
You can get some live network stuff through streaming services but it depends on your region.  For cutting the cable and still getting the live network stuff (CBS, NBC, ABC & Fox) an OTA is probably your best bet (if you get reception).  You can check what channels you can receive in your area at tvfool.

That reminds me, I will probably pay for the streaming NFL package from DirectTV again this year.  I think it ran $129 last season so that is another expense to consider, although I did it last season too so it would not be an additional cost relative to my situation.

i use Mobdro off of my 'droid box, and get all that you alluded to, and then some ...

Another consideration for those who are shooting for the whole home IoT connectivity thing (media centers, lights, thermostat, security, irrigation) is security.  The more you put your house out there the more vulnerable you are to cyber attacks.  I am still researching options like VPNs and personal servers so I can't comment on cost and effectiveness yet but they are a definite need if you want a connected home.

Comcast  - $190 for tv+interwebz+phone (bundle) including HBO+Starz+NFLChannel

Verizon - $187 for two phones 

Netflix - $10

XboxLive - $59 annual

wife wants to Spotify but hasn't pulled the trigger yet, so add another $10? 

Verizon $161

DirecTV $105

Cox Phone & Internet $134

Netflix $11

Audible $16

Spotify $16

XM Radio $7

Marvel Unlimited $6

Total $456

Plus occasional ebook purchases when on sale and a few magazine subscriptions.

Forgot Amazon Prime, but I don't really use the media aspect much.

Just switched from Verizon to Ting, and added our 17 year old, went from $165 for 2 lines to $35 for 3

internet from Comcast for their upper tier speed, $45

DirecTv, until November when we're out of contract, $67

Wife bought Netflix and pays that, what $14?

i pay for HBOtoGO, because they have the best show on TV, $14.99

1 iPhone 7+, iPad, unlimited data plans, 100MB FiOS - $0, paid by work. They're on group plans or autopay but if I had to guess...$200?

Landline  :lmao:  (hey, somebody has to answer robocalls) & cable  :lmao: - $100? Guessing, it's on autopay.

ETA: Spotify - is it $9.99 or $15.99? No idea....yep, another autopay.

Maybe I should look at my statement...

:unsure:

Family of 3 per month;

DirectTV: $90

Internet: $50

Netflix: $10

MagicJack: $5

ISP: $4

Cell Phones: $25 (these are all "go" phone plans)

So roughly $185 a month to get all our internet, voice and TV needs.

Comcast: $68/month. Includes basic cable and the usual array of cable channels (CNN, MSNBC, and Fox too, I suppose); and Internet, something along the lines of 25 MB. I think the data limit is 300 GB, and I've never come close to breaking it.

Verizon: $208/month. 12 GB month data plan. Huge bill because I'm totin' around a monthly payment on my Galaxy S7 Edge, and my daughter's iPhone 7s (or whatever it is the cool kids are sporting these days). This will go down significantly a year from now when she is 22 and has to support her own habit; and I quit financing my smart phone. The luster of having the latest and greatest has completely worn off (Please Lord, make it true!). I receive a $140/month allowance from work for my phone (and ISP service), due to oncall responsibilities, which kind of makes the bill more tolerable, although I'd still get the same allowance if I went with a cheaper plan. 

Netflix: $12/month - Allows for 4 concurrent stream (coincidentally, I have three kids)

Amazon Prime - $12/month

Google Music - $10/month ... Combined with my 12 GB data plan on my phone, I'm in heaven - 'cept for the months where my daughter forgets all about the data limits on her iPhone.

That's $310 per month, according to my toes. 

wikkidpissah said:
Not really - think about smartphone and netflix/amazon (seems like those who have one have both - whydat?) now and again, but it just aint so much me.

More a fascination w those who have EVERYTHING - all apps & subscriptions & PPV & media rooms and are really living in a different century from me connectivitywise. Those having threesomes w Siri & Alexa, know'm'sayin?

ETA: I still think about our Leukemia Boy comix, Chaka - MOF, i've integrated some of the regeneration stuff into a vampire novel i'm working on. Do you remember that?
My :2cents:  ... And Chaka's verbose mode might back this up - Too lazy/Didn't Read.

Netflix and Amazon differ significantly on original content. If you can swing $20 month instead of $10, get them both. To complete this thought, original content represents about 75% of the value; the other 25% being legacy material, documentaries, etc. Your breakdown of the value may vary

Phone: I've never owned an Apple device, mostly for contrarian reasons, but if you can swing a few extra dinaros, get an iPhone. If you do want to save a few bucks, target a mid range Android device (LG or Motorola, last year's model).

Music service: iTunes, Google Play, Spotify and even Microsoft Groove provide near identical content. Not sure if there's a hit for going with non-iTunes option if you have an iPhone, but my recommendation is Google Play. $10 a month for any ####in' song on demand that you can think of - and ad-free YouTube.

Unless you are a road warrior, don't pour too much into a data plan. Despite my over-sized data plan, most of my smartphone network access comes via WiFi, whether it be on my Comcast connection at home, or on Kroger WiFi, Starbucks, etc. 

ETA: I recently spent $389 on a 50" TV (taxes and upgrade to 5 year onsite warranty. included) at Best Buy. It's off-brand, HiSense, but the picture is pretty ####in' stellar. Moral of the story, don't go spending more than $500 on a TV, unless you have some high-end requirements. 

Users who are viewing this thread