What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[No title] (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
If you're looking for something to do at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, why don't you wing on by the Delmarva Shorebirds stadium in Salisbury and catch game 1 of the Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches' MSABC Classic, featuring all-star teams made up of HS juniors and seniors from the East and South regions of the state?  You'll get to see some of the best high school players in the state go pit their skills against each other, and get a chance to meet your own ***Charlie Steiner***.  As an added level of excitement, from the 2 teams featured in this game, as well as the following game between the West and North regions, 2 teams will be hand-picked from those rosters by the coaches to face off again at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on June 4 in the MSABC Geier Financial Brooks Robinson Senior All-State Game, so all of these boys will be inspired to play their very best for this once in a lifetime opportunity.  Come one, come all!!!

Wishing your son the best, but ill prob be at on the bay cracking ayce crabs all day
Thanks, but how can you pass up baseball at 10 am on a Sunday on a holiday weekend?

BTW, I know this is bragging, but this is probably one of the last times I can brag about him.  He also was named 1st team all-county.

Thanks, but how can you pass up baseball at 10 am on a Sunday on a holiday weekend?

BTW, I know this is bragging, but this is probably one of the last times I can brag about him.  He also was named 1st team all-county.
I'll throw it out to my 7 year old who may be interested. I'll PM you if we make it over. It's supposed to rain this weekend in ocmd. Hope you have fun 

Would be more inclined if this was a lacrosse all star game tbh. Baseball is boring 

AcerFC said:
I'll throw it out to my 7 year old who may be interested. I'll PM you if we make it over. It's supposed to rain this weekend in ocmd. Hope you have fun 

Would be more inclined if this was a lacrosse all star game tbh. Baseball is boring 
No worries.  I figure it's just going to be all the kids' parents at the game anyway, and considering they've probably been doing travel ball for 10 years or so, there's probably going to be more tension and drama in the stands than on the field.  

TBH, I'm a DC suburbs transplant to AA county and am still getting up to speed, so thanks for the correction.
I lived in Denton area on the eastern shore for a few years in the late 80s. You probably go past my old place on 404.

Whatever you do, NEVER pick up a Dundalk accent, hon.

I lived in Denton area on the eastern shore for a few years in the late 80s. You probably go past my old place on 404.

Whatever you do, NEVER pick up a Dundalk accent, hon.
That's good advice, but if they put gravy on their fries there too I'll remain vulnerable.

UPDATE: went 1 for 3 with an rbi, as well as a sac bunt that moved runners to 2nd and 3rd (the next batter drove them both in). Only 1 ball was hit his way the entire game, but he showed enough to make the team that's going to play at ORIOLE PARK AT CAMDEN YARDS next Sunday, after the O's-Red Sox game. There are only 3 outfielders on the roster, so it looks like he'll probably get to play the whole game. :clap:

UPDATE: went 1 for 3 with an rbi, as well as a sac bunt that moved runners to 2nd and 3rd (the next batter drove them both in). Only 1 ball was hit his way the entire game, but he showed enough to make the team that's going to play at ORIOLE PARK AT CAMDEN YARDS next Sunday, after the O's-Red Sox game. There are only 3 outfielders on the roster, so it looks like he'll probably get to play the whole game. :clap:
That's so awesome!  Enjoy it.

More info:  Part of their experience leading up to the game is a "press conference" at noon this Wednesday, a tour of the Orioles' facilities in the Warehouse and a chance to meet Orioles legend Brooks Robinson.  Anyone who goes to the Orioles-Red Sox game that day can stay for the game, or arrive after the game, as they won't be charging admission to watch the Brooks Robinson High School All-Star Game of Maryland.

If I'm in anyone's notebook, I'm sure it's littered with me talking about my son playing baseball. Nevertheless, it still didn't seem possible that he would achieve a moment like this.  

How did you even do that? Congrats to your son! I know you are proud!!
I've seen other thread titles change, so I thought I'd take a stab at it.  IIRC, open the thread, highlight the title and hold the ctrl key to edit.  I just didn't realize that without any text in the title, it goes away.  :bag:

Awesome! I met Brooks many years ago and have an autographed program somewhere. He's a great guy. 
I understand his health is a little iffy at the moment, so the meet and greet may not happen.  

On that note, one of the team moms on his HS team took a ton of pictures during the games this year, and she caught one of him leaping for joy at home plate as one of his teammates was coming home after hitting a HR.  His back is to the camera but to me it was reminiscent of that iconic picture of Brooks when they won the World Series.  May have to go overboard and print out that picture to have my son show him. :nerd:

Reminder that the game follows the Orioles game this Sunday, roughly 5pm or so, and there's no charge if you arrive after the Orioles game crowd clears out.

See you at the Yard.

Dateline: Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore Maryland:

After the dust settled at the end of the 2017 Brooks Robinson High School All-Star Game of Maryland, the scoreboard indicated that one team had won the game, but in this reporter's view, there were no losers in tonight's game.  Every boy on both teams were examples of everything good and pure about baseball, displaying a level of joy and camaraderie that matched their superb efforts in the game.  Pitching ruled the day in this game, though, as even though the victorious North team tallied 10 hits over 7 innings, they only strung enough together to score 3 runs, 1 in the first and two in the 7th, and for the South, they only managed 5 hits but were able to capitalize on their only triple to get their lone run and ended the game with the winning run on base.

As for Steiner jr., while he didn't get to play center field, he acquitted himself well in right field, including tracking down a long fly that made it to the warning track.  I'd like to say he also did well at the plate...because he did!  After striking out in the 1st, he followed it up with a bomb over the center fielder's head that netted him a triple in his next at bat.  The next batter sent a fly ball deep enough to right field to score him, so he accounted for their only run.  In his next at-bat, he drove a single between first and second to move the runner from 1st all the way to 3rd with just one out; unfortunately, he got picked off :bag:  and the next batter grounded out to end the threat altogether, but it was a good enough showing at the plate for him to earn his team's "Most Outstanding Hitter" award, which is funny to me because he's known more for his arm and glove than for his offensive prowess.  

Well, that's it.  Thanks to those who bothered to read this far.  

Users who are viewing this thread