What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family vacation to Boston (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
Going to visit some old friends in Boston in early August. Will be driving from Michigan through Niagara Falls.

Will probably stay one day there since the kids (13 and 11) have never seen it.

Things to do with girls that age in Boston?

Both are learning various parts of Boston history right now. So they are excited to go. Obviously the Freedom Trail is a must.

They've asked about any theme parks and I see there is a Six Flags just outside of Boston. Worth going to for a day?

Whale sightseeing worth it?

I guess any tips, suggestions or avoids would be appreciated.

Thanks

We took a family trip there a few years ago, and my kids were about the same age as yours.  If you'll only be there one day, I would skip the theme parks and just walk the city - roller coasters are fun, but Boston's history is too rich to ignore if you only have 1 day.  The Freedom Trail can take up most of your day if you take your time, walk the whole trail (including a visit to the USS Constitution, at the far end of the Freedom Trail) and stop for lunch and ice cream along the way.  We also liked the Duck Tour and the nighttime Cemetery Tour.  We stayed downtown at Parker House.  Also consider touring Fenway Park (or seeing a game) or visiting the waterfront area (Tea Party ships).  Aside from the Freedom Trail, there is lots of walking/shopping you can do around the downtown area (including walking around the Boston Common area).

Between Faneuil Hall (a marketplace with a huge number of shops in a very small area) and the North End (authentic Italian foods), you'll have a lot to do in a short amount of space.

Sorry for the confusion. We will probably stay one day at the falls. We will be in Boston 4 or 5 days.

You may want to check out this tour operation. While the word "free" is part of the name for some (?) of the walking tours, they really expect you to give something if you feel you received something of value.

The Freedom Trail is good on your own, that's how I've done it, but I would imagine a guided tour would be even better. Lexington & Concord may also be interesting if they like Revolutionary War stuff.

Plimoth Plantation, and/or Old Sturbridge Village 

Never been to Six Flags. Probably fun for kids, like most amusement parks. Just don't lose your head.

Never been whale watching. If you go, you might want to ensure nobody will get motion sickness. If allowed, you could bring some bread for the girls to throw at the seagulls.

Are the girls into sports? If you can spare some extra time, in the drive from Niagara to Boston you could stop at the Baseball or Basketball Halls of Fame.

Thanks for all your help so far.

While researching hotels, the one that continues to pop up is the Hotel Commonwealth which is right by Fenway.

Can you walk from this hotel to the Freedom Trail, etc? Or do I want to stay closer downtown?

Was there with my granddaughter when she was 10.  Might want to check out the Children's Museum and the Aquarium.

Users who are viewing this thread