What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I've lost interest in watching sports (1 Viewer)

Baseball is unwatchable for me now. As is regular season basketball.

Football is still ok but the commercials/stoppages kill me.

Once I found soccer (Europe not MLS) everything else became less enjoyable.

But I'm loving the NHL playoffs this year..

Probably watch more sports now....betting on any sport has aided in that expanded interest a bit.

I have pruned my sports tree.

A lot less NFL, NBA and NHL 

A bit more MLB and added more CFB/CBB.

Introduced soccer and that has easily captured the majority of my interest.

Find myself watching more golf.

NASCAR and politics... I have to bet on to have any interest following. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The NBA and MLB have completely lost me. Haven't watched more than a few minutes here and there for years. The season is too long and too many teams make the playoffs. Most games are meaningless. College fb and baskets, NFL still have my full attention.

I'm close to this. I used to watch football from Thursday night through Monday night. Now I watch the Sooners and the Bears and maybe one more if there's a great matchup. I used to watch MLB. I've seen only one Sox game this year. I used to watch college BB and NBA. I haven't watched a NBA game in years and I'll only watch the Sooners until March Madness. I used to watch golf (certainly all of the majors). I might have watched half a dozen rounds of golf in the last 2-3 years. I even used to watch tennis and track and field. Not any more.

But I love watching soccer and hockey.

The NBA and MLB have completely lost me. Haven't watched more than a few minutes here and there for years. The season is too long and too many teams make the playoffs. Most games are meaningless. College fb and baskets, NFL still have my full attention.
NBA regular season is really worthless and this year has proven that to be more true than ever.

I get baseball isn't for everyone but it's the perfect sport for the long summer and while there are too many games it is cool to know you always have a game on, even if it's in the background.

MLB playoffs are still fun and always seemingly unpredictable 

Betting certainly changes everything but that is a slippery slope.  I'm with the OP.  I don't watch as nearly as much as I used to say 10 years ago.    I'll watch the teams I like in the NFL, CFB, CBB, NBA (mostly just during playoffs) as well as the the top matchups in those sports, the top half of ufc events, the majors in golf and the us national soccer team games..    

:shrug:

Has anyone else felt this way recently?
For me I think it's a function of age. The older I get, the less interest I have - it's somewhat of a "I've seen it all before" feeling. New players come along, but at this point I've seen most of what they can do previously via other players. Occasionally you get a never had happened before type of thing, like this last Super Bowl - and that's interesting to see. But day to day, it's all kind of the same thing over and over again.

Discovering soccer (euro) has been a blessing. 

Despite not having a playoff they structure their leagues in awesome fashion.

Case in point this past weekend.

The champs had clinched 2-3 weeks ago in some leagues. So last week of the season is meaningless, right?

Wrong. 

Last place teams fighting to stay in the top league were going at it. 

2 last place teams in the last game of the season would mean 237 people at the stadium. Instead you are watching 60,000 people going crazy like they just won the super bowl to finish in 17th place and avoid getting relegated.

Picture a week 17 where the browns and jaguars play to determine who stays in the NFL and loser gets relegated to the CFL. 

I watch more but follow less...if that makes sense.

I'll watch lots of Mets games but find myself asking who is this OF....i never heard of him. Meanwhile when I was younger I wouldn't watch as much but knew pretty much everyone on the roster of all the teams I followed.

Not sure if it's an attention thing or just that I am not following as much but rather just watching in general for entertainment as opposed to as a fan?

It's basically soccer only for me. Used to love the NFL over a decade ago. I didn't even watch the super bowl this year.  NBA Finals I'll watch, but it's hard to stay up late to watch the games.

Yeah, I'm down to US soccer games, OU college football when available, and occasional NFL games.  I grew up in a hockey house, but it faded away for me.

There used to be something I loved to watch, but I don't think it exists any more... it was a one-hour EPL roundup show where half of it was a condensed game of the week, and the other half was highlights of all the other games.  I'd watch that show for every sport weekly if I could find it... well, except for baseball, which blows.

The champs had clinched 2-3 weeks ago in some leagues. So last week of the season is meaningless, right?

Wrong. 

2 last place teams in the last game of the season would mean 237 people at the stadium. Instead you are watching 60,000 people going crazy like they just won the super bowl to finish in 17th place and avoid getting relegated.

Picture a week 17 where the browns and jaguars play to determine who stays in the NFL and loser gets relegated to the CFL. 
No

I've lost interest too.  That's one reason I cut the cord.  Live sports was one of the last reasons for me to keep cable TV, but once I stopped being a fan of any team and stopped being interested in watching games, it was easy to get rid of cable.

Like many others in this thread, soccer is the main sport I watch.   I still watch some NFL on DVR and check in on other sports as back ground noise but really only soccer keeps my interest now a days.

IN the past, I was a voracious NFL and NBA watcher.

The challenge for me is the people at work. I started a new job and it's like 80% men here, so bonding over sports is an easy way to make friends.

But since I don't care much for the Orioles or the Ravens or the Eagles or the Skins, I'm kinda SOL. I used to wake up Monday morning and check to see how the Ravens did so I don't seem like a fool.

Wrong. 

Relegation in the NFL would be the ####

Baseball and NBA are worthless to me and have been forever.  Watched most of game 7 last year just because the Cavs were in it.

Last year, with quitting booze, I barely watched any football either...huuuuuge trigger for me.  Maybe a dozen games overall, when that was what I used to watch in a week. Didn't really miss it though.

Outside of football (more NFL than college) and golf majors, I watch almost no sports.  

I used to live for baseball, college basketball, NBA playoff basketball, and golf.  Super big meh these days.   

I have stopped watching all major sports except football unless my teams are in the playoffs. Do watch USMNT soccer now though. 

Dont have any time.

I pretty much stick to European football, World Endurance Championship and IMSA now.

Don't know when it clicked for me, but I would come home from work on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday and see Champions League and Europa League games on TV and instead of getting out in the yard, I'd watch. (Same for International Champions Cup matches)

I haven't watched the NFL in almost a decade. Pretty sure magic football and Thursday night football ruined that. Another thing that killed my caring about the NFL was the New Orleans bounty scandal coverage. Once I figured out that the offseason was going to be nothing but that story, I switched from Sirius NFL Radio over to the Sirius FC channel. Don't remember what year that was but a whole new world opened up to me.

A couple years ago, my brother gave me a KODI box for Christmas. Fantastic gift, especially after I figured out I could watch Sunday afternoon Serie-A matches live on BT Sport 1   

I don't watch much less but I don't care nearly as much about the outcome as I did when I was younger. Unless you're a young fan who hasn't yet figured out that none of it ####### matters I don't get letting a loss eat at you for more than a few minutes. 

Have lost 100% of my interest in football.  It just feels like non-stop stoppages, penalties and commercials.  Add in the stupid replay challenges and the sport grinds to a halt.  I still enjoy baseball and hockey, but am at a point in my life where I don't really watch unless my teams are playing.  I used to watch as much as I could, but with kids and other responsibilities it just feels like a waste of time.

Lacrosse final four is this weekend - semi final games are at 12 (Ohio St(3) / Towson) and 2:30 (Maryland  (1) /Denver (5)) on Saturday on ESPN2.  It is Ohio State's first final four, and Towson's first since '01.  

I've lost all interest in the NBA and some in the NFL, but I like baseball and hockey more than ever and college football is glorious.  I'm never gonna stop loving those.  I could go sit at a minor league baseball game every day for the rest of my life and love every minute of it. 

Yes, quite a bit, but I used to waste so much time watching sports I feel that my love of certain sports at certain times these days is healthy rather than counterproductive. 

Tonight's hockey game is an example of having fun watching and at least having a playoff knowledge of the teams.  

I've lost all interest in the NBA and some in the NFL, but I like baseball and hockey more than ever and college football is glorious.  I'm never gonna stop loving those.  I could go sit at a minor league baseball game every day for the rest of my life and love every minute of it. 
Pretty much this. Baseball has come to be about the only sport I really care about. 

I've lost probably 95% of my interest in the NFL. 5 years ago, it was all day every Sunday. I think I watched 3 games last year.

I still care about the NBA some, but the combination of knowing who's going to be in the Finals every year and most of the good games occurring past my bedtime has certainly started to take a toll. And unlike MLB.tv, the streaming option for NBA League Pass kind of sucks. I watch MLB games I missed but wanted to see often in the mornings, but I really can't with NBA. It starts buffering/craps out after 10 minutes and finding where you left off takes 20 minutes. But I do enjoy watching when I can. Finals should be pretty fun.

Lost interest in MLB years ago...could maybe name one or two players in the league now.  

NBA has way too many meaningless games.  Even the playoffs have lost most its excitement.  If they eliminated the 7 game series and went to a one and done like NFL it might be more interesting. 

I use to spend my entire Sunday watching NFL but that has dwindled.  Still catch a game here and there depending on the matchup.  Thursday night and Monday night football have become unwatchable. 

I follow baseball the most, but I listen to games on the radio so technically I'm not WATCHING it.  But baseball is far and away the best sport to LISTEN to.

The NFL seems to reach a peak appeal when there are multiple good to great teams but not all of them have won a title.  For example, Patriots vs Colts was really epic before the Colts won a title or beat the Patriots in the playoffs.  It was must-watch TV to see if the Colts could get past the Patriots.  Once the Colts actually beat the Patriots in the 2006 AFC title game, the luster was gone.

The same problem exists for the Steelers vs Patriots.  It was must-watch TV before the Steelers won a title with Big Ben.  Once they got a ring too, it was boring.

Seahawks vs 49ers had the potential for being the next great rivalry, especially when Seattle won a title, but then the 49ers blew it all up.  It would have been must-watch TV to see if the 49res could get past the Seahawks to win a ring.

Most of the consistently good teams have a ring now.  Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Seahawks, Packers, Giants, Saints.  So there's no story.  The NFL needs a legit contender that hasn't won a ring yet.  The best candidate might be the Raiders, but moving to Vegas might hurt the appeal of the team at the wrong time.

If we got several Raiders-Patriots matchups in the playoffs, I think the NFL will be must-watch TV again.

Baseball - sucks, takes way too long and I no longer know 99% of the league - don't even watch the playoffs any more

Basketball - will catch part of the occasional regular season game for my team (Hawks) and watched some of the playoffs;  will watch the Finals match up as that seems intriguing

Football - still in pain over the Super Bowl - will watch all Falcons regular season/playoff games and some of the prime time match ups - playoffs are a must watch

College Football - most of the big games and all of the Yellow Jackets games.  THWG

Hockey - I was trying to get in to this and we lost our team again - I've watched some of the playoffs but don't think I watched a single regular season game

Soccer - weekly United matches and usually 1-2 other big games each weekend recorded and watched as I get time.  Big FA Cup/CL match-ups.  Just started following MLS this year as Atlanta got a team and I got season tickets - really fun to go to the games, I still don't watch any non-Atlanta MLS games.

This is pretty much me but change basketball to all of NBA including playoffs. I do watch the NCAA tourney though. NHL playoffs as long as Pens are in/on.

Ideally, you'd have a storyline about long suffering oakland raider fans finally having a good team and trying to get past new england and that would drive interest in the  entire nfl.  unfortuntely they moved to vegas and a story about long suffering vegas fans is laughable.  the nfl needed the raiders to stay in oakland.

Don't watch really any NBA or NHL but will still watch just about any MLB game. Watch less NFL -usually skip Thu and Mon games- and most of what I do see is on the Red Zone

Users who are viewing this thread