What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Learning with Dad (1 Viewer)

Nugget

Footballguy
I'm looking for ideas on activities and life skills I can share/learn with my two children this summer.  My daughter is 13 and son is 9.  While I want them to enjoy the summer, their friends, and their freedom, I also think they need some structure and discipline.  Looking for a combination of chores/fun activities/other?  I am hoping the wisdom of the FFA can come through.

Initial thoughts:

• Make bed every morning 
  • Rotation between laundry/dishes/trash
  • Caring for tomato plants
  • Packing for and going on a day hike at the lake
  • Painting their rooms
  • Taking down a chain link fence and building a wooden privacy fence
  • Going to a drive in movie
  • Going to presidential libraries
  • Attending some morning community work outs
  • Volunteer opportunities
What have you done or would like to do with your kids that build character/resilience?

I'm looking for ideas on activities and life skills I can share/learn with my two children this summer.  My daughter is 13 and son is 9.  While I want them to enjoy the summer, their friends, and their freedom, I also think they need some structure and discipline.  Looking for a combination of chores/fun activities/other?  I am hoping the wisdom of the FFA can come through.

Initial thoughts:

• Make bed every morning 
  • Painting their rooms
What have you done or would like to do with your kids that build character/resilience?
Bolded above--seriously?  Why not have them build you a deck with in-ground lighting while they're at it?

And that list is really short on "fun activities".

Last edited by a moderator:

Initial thoughts:

• Make bed every morning 
  • Painting their rooms
  •  
fun!

I just saw this and signed up a couple of days ago so I can't say it is good or bad but the idea seems to be to meet the need of exactly this thread:

https://www.wonderdads.com/

I signed up for the emails but the only one I got so far was the welcome one.

I just saw this and signed up a couple of days ago so I can't say it is good or bad but the idea seems to be to meet the need of exactly this thread:

https://www.wonderdads.com/

I signed up for the emails but the only one I got so far was the welcome one.
good enough for hte Marin IJ, good enough for me.

did you pay the money for the activity boxes, or is there a free thing that just gets you emails?

Bolded above--seriously?  Why not have them build you a deck with in-ground lighting while they're at it?

And that list is really short on "fun activities".
:lol:

I was thinking that too, why stop with lighting, get out shovels and have them start digging a pool and pouring concrete. Nothing says summer break and fun like manual labor. 

My kids are going to enjoy the summers. Now that I'm in my 30's, I look back and really appreciate the summers from my youth, you don't get that again in life. OP have you considered sending them to camp with their friends?

Skeet/Target shooting

Hunting

Boating/skiing

Camping

Fishing

(I have not personally gone hunting or fishing since I was a kid. Not something I enjoy really but darn it if I don't have good memories with my step-father doing those things.)

good enough for hte Marin IJ, good enough for me.

did you pay the money for the activity boxes, or is there a free thing that just gets you emails?
I saw this through a Facebook feed ad- it had a free email sign up and then mentioned the upgrades possible for activity boxes and more. I am starting with the emails and see how that goes, might explore the upgrades later depending on how things go. I just assumed there was a way to sign up for free emails on the website. Let me check the welcome email and see if there is something I can link.

Daughter 

• 2 weeks of dance camp at KU
  • 1 week of choir camp (I don't know what this is but she wants to do it)
  • 1 week summer camp at the lake
  • Ballet/Pointe class 3 nights week
Son

• Webelos Camp (with me for 3 nights)
  • 1 week of Scout Day Camp
  • 1 week of Soccer Camp
  • 1 week of Robot Camp
  • Baseball 2 nights a week
Both

• Summer passes to the pool
  • Sleepovers/Friends (Son is at friends tonight, 4 girls are at my house tonight)

I saw this through a Facebook feed ad- it had a free email sign up and then mentioned the upgrades possible for activity boxes and more. I am starting with the emails and see how that goes, might explore the upgrades later depending on how things go. I just assumed there was a way to sign up for free emails on the website. Let me check the welcome email and see if there is something I can link.
:thumbup:

considering they're trying to get you to pay for stuff- I'd imagine they're not going to be sharing the activities via free email... but still curious.

and even though we're giving the op grief- still interested in what he's asking and the idea of the thread. waaaaaay too easy to not think or plan about this stuff and then the summer's over without having done much of anything, fathering-wise.

Along with the volunteer stuff, do research on their future careers...or at least narrow down what they want to do. Heck, they could even start a small business NOW if they want. Teach them responsibility, the value of earning money and how to manage it. 

Initial thoughts:

• Make bed every morning 
  • Painting their rooms
This past winter I cooked a meal with my son. He picked out the meal, and we made it together. He's 12. I decided I need him to know basics of how to cook meals by the time he goes off to college. This summer he's going to learn how to light the charcoal grill and cook burgers and brats. We'll go camping and fishing several times, usually combined with trail biking. I've read to him essentially every night I've been home (when sober) since he was 3 or so and that will continue. We just started LOTR.

This past winter I cooked a meal with my son. He picked out the meal, and we made it together. He's 12. I decided I need him to know basics of how to cook meals by the time he goes off to college. This summer he's going to learn how to light the charcoal grill and cook burgers and brats. We'll go camping and fishing several times, usually combined with trail biking. I've read to him essentially every night I've been home (when sober) since he was 3 or so and that will continue. We just started LOTR.
You guys should wrap up lotr by the time he's learned to cook kin college

Son (8 year old, and he selected these activities from a list I gave him)

Scout Camp

Baseball Camp

Lego Robotics Course

Minecraft Course

YMCA Baseball

Swim lessons 2x week

Tae Kwon Do 2x week

Twins (2 year old boy and girl)

Swim Lessons 2x week

Building a sand table

All:

Zoo pass

Pass to Science Museum

Several baseball games

Several trips to Six Flags

Several hiking trips

Initial thoughts:

• Make bed every morning 
  • Painting their rooms
This is a good start. A few more fun activities for kiddos I might add:

• Cleaning out gutters
  • Rotating the tires on our vehicles
  • Dusting ceiling fans
  • Picking up the dog poop in the back yard
  • Cleaning the hair out of the tub drain
  • Cleaning grandma's dentures
Good luck and enjoy the summer!

This is a good start. A few more fun activities for kiddos I might add:

• Cleaning out gutters
  • Rotating the tires on our vehicles
  • Dusting ceiling fans
  • Picking up the dog poop in the back yard
  • Cleaning the hair out of the tub drain
  • Cleaning grandma's dentures
Good luck and enjoy the summer!
My son does love to get on the roof with me - we'll probably do that sometime on Saturday to clean out the gutters.  He can't start the leaf blower, but he does love to run it.

Both kids will learn to change a tire before they drive, but we get our vehicles serviced at dealerships.

My son does love to get on the roof with me - we'll probably do that sometime on Saturday to clean out the gutters.  He can't start the leaf blower, but he does love to run it.

Both kids will learn to change a tire before they drive, but we get our vehicles serviced at dealerships.
Yeah, it's not a one-size-fits-all fun list but hopefully there are at least a few activities on there that will get them excited.

You left these off the list:

- Play an endless amount of video games.

- Watch Youtubes of other kids playing endless amounts of video games.

- Text and Snapchat friends all day.

- Be driven to our friends house on demand.

- Complain about anything that's not on this list.

Sincerely,

Your kids

What are you guys dropping on summer activities for the kids? What's the normal out of pocket expense?

Son (8 year old, and he selected these activities from a list I gave him)

Scout Camp

Baseball Camp

Lego Robotics Course

Minecraft Course

YMCA Baseball

Swim lessons 2x week

Tae Kwon Do 2x week

Twins (2 year old boy and girl)

Swim Lessons 2x week

Building a sand table

All:

Zoo pass

Pass to Science Museum

Several baseball games

Several trips to Six Flags

Several hiking trips
awesome... :thumbup:

but I just keep hearing cha-ching, cha-ching as I read down that list.

Gotta applaud what you're doin', nug - you'd get a weeksworth of my likes if i could.

Glad you include daughter in work projects. Have fun being better than they are at stuff - as good a feeling as there is.

#1 on my list is the volunteering. 100x better, too, when they get online or whatever and pick their own. Maybe a bonus for most thoughtful

awesome... :thumbup:

but I just keep hearing cha-ching, cha-ching as I read down that list.
Raising kids aint cheap.  But yeah.

Scout camp-$150, baseball camp-$200, courses ($70/each), baseball ($50), swim lessons (for all three $45/week), Taekwondo ($40/month), Zoo pass ($50/year), science museum ($95/year)

What are you guys dropping on summer activities for the kids? What's the normal out of pocket expense?
I don't think it is possible to calculate.  $60-400 disappears from the checking account a couple times a month basically year round.

$120 - Two summer swim passes

$495 - Summer Dance Intensive

$175 - Choir Camp

$500 - Summer Camp at Lake

$300/month - Regular Dance class/Ballet Company

$185 - Webelos Camp

$65 - Scout Day Camp

$150 - Robot Camp

$55 - Baseball

Yeah, but when my wife and I went, it was nearly that much, so I can't imagine the offspring make up the bulk of that figure.

Have fun, one of my favorite vacations.
Agree.  Wife and I lived in Australia for a month (pre marriage part of a semester abroad program while at school)....it was simply awesome.

No way could I afford it with a family.

Raising kids aint cheap.  But yeah.

Scout camp-$100, baseball camp-$200, courses ($70/each), baseball ($50), swim lessons (for all three $45/week), Taekwondo ($40/month), Zoo pass ($50/year), science museum ($95/year)
living in nyc sucks. quadruple all of that.

living in nyc sucks. quadruple all of that.
$1350 for spring semester of dance class (x4 = $5400 per year), three disciplines being learned (ballet, jazz/tap, modern) - recital outfits $275 per  - two recitals per year ($1650 total).

when the smoke clears, it's upwards to eight large  :shrug:

Right now he wants to go the Air Force Academy and design Iron Man suits.  Before that he wanted to be a cheetah.
My 6yo wants to be a teddy bear. 

$1350 for spring semester of dance class (x4 = $5400 per year), three disciplines being learned (ballet, jazz/tap, modern) - recital outfits $275 per  - two recitals per year ($1650 total).

:moneybag: .  We're cheaper than that.  Thankfully our schools do a lot of stuff less expensively. Summer can be pricey. 

Best part about our company is they provide all the outfits.  It costs $100 to be in Nutcracker, but that is all it is.  Midwest rocks.

Best part about our company is they provide all the outfits.  It costs $100 to be in Nutcracker, but that is all it is.  Midwest rocks.
:excited:

jeez - that's pretty sweet. 

of course, i conveniently omitted the cost(s) of her: piano, violin, singing, theater (acting) gigs - maybe because fleshing it all out is a ####load harder than paying it - troof - actually seeing the cost reflected in hard numbers is  :shock:

but, anything for my princess  :thumbup: np

Can anyone quantify the return on dance class? We have the same thing in Nassau county. My niece and nephew are in some dance class where the teacher is an institution. Have to buy tickets to see your own kids perform and all that jazz (no pun intended). What's the payoff? Seems that that time, energy and money would have a possibility of a return if put into a sport, or any other activity that may result in a scholarship somewhere down the line. Are there schools giving out money to folks who took dance? My kid's 1 and I have another on the way, so am still trying to figure where time may be best spent.

:excited:

jeez - that's pretty sweet. 

of course, i conveniently omitted the cost(s) of her: piano, violin, singing, theater (acting) gigs - maybe because fleshing it all out is a ####load harder than paying it - troof - actually seeing the cost reflected in hard numbers is  :shock:

but, anything for my princess  :thumbup: np
My son is taking piano - I forgot about that. 

Good part about a lot of my daughters activities is that they are through school now.  Next year in 8th grade she will be in Chorale, Model UN, Yearbook, and HawkFlock (school ambassadors, welcome the new 6th graders).  I don't think they hit me with increased activity fees for those, so that is kinda nice.

Can anyone quantify the return on dance class? We have the same thing in Nassau county. My niece and nephew are in some dance class where the teacher is an institution. Have to buy tickets to see your own kids perform and all that jazz (no pun intended). What's the payoff? Seems that that time, energy and money would have a possibility of a return if put into a sport, or any other activity that may result in a scholarship somewhere down the line. Are there schools giving out money to folks who took dance? My kid's 1 and I have another on the way, so am still trying to figure where time may be best spent.
Self confidence and better health?  I don't see a dance scholarship in her future.  I think the average ballerina makes about $15K/year.

Teach them handyman basics.

-nail in a nail

-types of screwdrivers, and tools

-to paint, cut in, clean off paintbrush when done

-repair drywall

just basic diy stuff.

Money management and discipline:  Pay them to do the un-fun stuff so they can choose and pay for the fun stuff.

Self confidence and better health?
.... along with artistic expression, appreciation for the disciplines and the arts associated with them. 

my gf (daughter's mom) was a dance/theater major, along with being lead soloist in the choir. she even originated an interpretive dance troupe during those years, and had the school showcase them.

so there is precedent here for my little one ... she inherited a ton of her mom's talent and creativity ... and love of artistic expression.  and who better to have as a 24/7 'assistant coach' than your own mom?

as far as sports go, she digs track, and can really get after it during the meets- long legs and a great motor, she's loving the competition. 

she has asked about field hockey for next year (she'll be 12) ... we'll see. 

anyways, to answer @Gawain 's original inquiry ... she gets life out of if - she absolutely loves it, and it is her passion.  very much so. 

school and career as a result?  let's just say i wouldn't bet against that kid realizing any dreams she has. 

Kids are silly expensive.

The amount it will cost to have my three kids (6, 3 and 1) in all day summer camp is 3 times my mortgage payment for the month. :rant:

Gotta applaud what you're doin', nug - you'd get a weeksworth of my likes if i could.

Glad you include daughter in work projects. Have fun being better than they are at stuff - as good a feeling as there is.

#1 on my list is the volunteering. 100x better, too, when they get online or whatever and pick their own. Maybe a bonus for most thoughtful

Part of it is just including them in day to day activities even if those seem like work.  If they want to own a house sometime being exposed to the amount of work and money it takes will help in the long run.  A lot of these things will take longer to complete if you include your kids in doing them but that is time spent together.  How many comments in this thread alone are to the affect of I didn't like doing x but I made memories with dad or grandpa or family member y.

$3200 on camps for my 5 year old's art and outdoor day camps. Doubles as daycare. But damn. 

Users who are viewing this thread