What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gregg Allman passes away at 69 (1 Viewer)

My top 2 all-time...loved them in college especially...some good times equated to GA...amazing he kept it going all these years post-Duane...RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
as pure a rock n' roll soul as ever graced us ... though i was was never really a big fan, there was no denying the incredible mark he made, along with his mates ... R.I.P.  to a flat-out legend.

Had the pleasure to spend give or take 40 nights with Gregg. Usually with friends, often under the stars and it never for a second of his stage time escaped me that it was to special and to soak it in as I knew of his habits. I remember a show at beacon in 95 or 96 that didn't start til 10:30 due to Gregg having a "motorcycle mishap". How or why Gregg would have been on a bike in NYC. People were reasonably patient and they played their ### off with mainly dickey and warren singing. But when it came time for Gregg to hit it, and i don't recall what it was, he tore the hell down. 

As I said to my friend, never saw Gregg do a bad show but sometimes we really touched greatness. 

Excess, largess, ego, dope, celebrity wives, and bascially a disloyal jerkoff. But Gregg is STILL The greatest in my book. i don't know if he's the best singer in rock history but he's my favorite 

i don't know if he's the best singer in rock history
I don't either but, when he was on, there wasn't anyone better.

Wikkid posted the link above - Gregg's vocal on "Whipping Post" is truly remarkable (hell, the whole song is). I don't know where he got the intensity - he was just a freaking kid - but, to me, it's one of the truly frightening performances by a singer in rock history. 

it came from the soul, his vocals ... maybe he wasn't the 'classic' crooner, but nobody else could've delivered those tunes with that passion and urgency.   

one of a kind here, the likes of which are peeling off at a rapid clip, and are nowhere near being replaced. 

RIP to another rock legend. We are losing so many...so fast. Damn I am getting old. ****ing scary.

So to me Gregg wasn't a rock singer. He was a southern blue eyed soul/blues singer.
Fair to say. I originally called him a front man which he was in theory but not in traditional rock constructs in terms of jumping around. 

I'd still say southern rock as much as anything so to me he's a rock singer. 

The allmans were always like Pink Floyd to me in that they created a genre. More southern rockers came than Pink Floyd-Ian acts but their ingenuity underscores their talent 

"SuntahhhnsAhhhhFeeeeyull........SUHNTAAAAAHNSAHHHHHFEEEEEEEEEEYULLLL....

LaaahkAhhBinTAHHHHHHIIIIIDEtoduhwhippin'poooooost.....

TAHHHHHHIIIIIDEtoduhwhippin'poooooost.....

Oh, Lawd I feeyull laahhk Ahhm dyyyyyyhaaan'"

RIP, Gregg. 

I imagine him being met on the other side by Duane on a motorbike with a couple guitars.  Then he drives him over to Sonny Bono's pad where he gives him, like, a velvet smoking jacket (or something) and they all get high/drunk jamming and swapping stories about Cher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I went to Hong Kong and Singapore for work for about a month.  It was a Friday and I had just gotten back and was eating lunch at a pizzeria near my office, really jet lagged and tired.  There were a couple of guys my age sitting at the table next to me and one of them leaned over and asked me if I like the Allman Brothers.  Of course I said yes.  He said that he was going with his friends to his college for the weekend to watch the game and couldn't use his Allman Brothers ticket he had for that night and asked if I wanted them.  Even though I was exhausted (and wound up sleeping in the car ride to the concert), I gladly accepted.  I was working at a Big 4 consulting firm at the time and this guy was actually working for a rival Big 4 firm, but he gave me the tickets anyway. 

I called a friend and invited him so we went to Jones Beach for the concert.  We get there and looked at our tickets and they said row 1, seats A and B so we were really excited to have front row seats.  They also came with a pass to a party on the side of the stage.  We went to go to our seats and the usher said that our seats weren't front row, they were the front seats in the private room in the back overlooking the main seating area.  We had his company's entire luxury suit to ourselves, in the center stage.  Absolutely amazing seats in my favorite venue for one of the best concerts I have ever seen.  What a night, jet lagged and all.

We always liked to watch his Hammond get cluttered up during shows. He'd pop a single drink on it when he came out. By the end of the night cigarette packs, numerous empty drinks and other flotsam sand jetsam. Saw them 15 times or so. Them and the dead neck and neck for best American bands of all time.

Saw him a year or two ago at the Portland blues festival. He had cancelled the previous year due to "health issues". 

It was worth the wait. Maybe the greatest white man rock/blues voice of all time. 

Considering his brother might have been the greatest slide guitarist of all time, imagine the odds of two brothers being legends in the same field? Pretty rare DNA

In terms of partying, gotta think Gregg is in some ways the American Keith Richards.   That guy was doing coke before Pablo. He was there before the bullets fly baby

Saw him at the Beacon in the 90s when I was high school.  Wish I had gone to see them again as it was a great show.  

Had the pleasure to spend give or take 40 nights with Gregg. Usually with friends, often under the stars and it never for a second of his stage time escaped me that it was to special and to soak it in as I knew of his habits. I remember a show at beacon in 95 or 96 that didn't start til 10:30 due to Gregg having a "motorcycle mishap". How or why Gregg would have been on a bike in NYC. People were reasonably patient and they played their ### off with mainly dickey and warren singing. But when it came time for Gregg to hit it, and i don't recall what it was, he tore the hell down. 

As I said to my friend, never saw Gregg do a bad show but sometimes we really touched greatness. 

Excess, largess, ego, dope, celebrity wives, and bascially a disloyal jerkoff. But Gregg is STILL The greatest in my book. i don't know if he's the best singer in rock history but he's my favorite 
great post.  thanx,

I have a framed "At Fillmore East" album cover signed by all six of the Allman Brothers band.    Dickey Betts is one of them, who in his own right proved he could bring it.  Just a truly great double album of real rock. IMO

His cause of death should be "being Gregg allman for 69 years"

any of your local radio stations doing anything? Very disappointed nyc is giving them nothing despite being their second home for the second half of their career

Sirius had a Town Hall with him last hour...but its over and I haven't found anything else yet.

Nice tribute by Jackson Browne. RIP

“Gregg Allman was one of the most gifted singers of the last fifty years,” it reads. “We became friends in LA in the late sixties when he and Duane were in The Hourglass. He was a blues singer first, and he was so natural, and so soulful, that when he sang songs that were written in a major scale, he found all the most soulful and expressive passages through those changes. It was just how he heard it. That’s how it was with my song, ‘These Days.’ He slowed it down, and felt it deeply, and he made that song twice as good as it was before he sang it.“I got to speak with him in the week before he passed, and I got to tell him how much his music and his friendship has meant to me. He recently recorded one of my early songs, ‘Song For Adam,’ and he and [producer] Don Was sent it to me to sing on, and I did. That song, the way he sang it and where he sang it from – at the end of his life – well, he completed that song, and gave it a resonance and a gravity that could only have been put there by him. I will miss him. I send my deepest condolences to his family, his bands and crews, and all those who knew him and loved him.”

Allmans were the best live band I've ever seen. Not sure exactly how many times I've seen them but somewhere around 10 - mostly at the Beacon in NYC but a few other places as well. When we saw them at Montclair State College, my one friend was on crutches so they let us go all the way to  the front and let him sit on the stage. We were about 15 feet away from Gregg -  amazing show.

I also went with some peripheral friend once to see them in the Meadowlands Racetrack Parking lot. He and his friend wanted to leave after the second set ended (before and encore) to beat traffic. I said "no way, they may play Whipping Post so you can leave me here I'll find my way". They stayed. The band played Whipping Post and halfway through they thanked me for making them stay. It was glorious.

RIP Gregg.

I saw a ton of Allman Brothers shows and enjoyed Gregg solo a number of times over the years.  I had a nice tribute to him on Sunday enjoying beers, tokes and the best rocking, soulful, bluesy vocals this planet ever witnessed. 

RIP Gregg and thanks for the memories.  :cry:   :banned:

I saw a show in Kansas City with Blues Travelor opening. At the end of their set John Popper said, "And now the Allman Brothers will come out and crack your heads open like casaba melons." And they did. 

Users who are viewing this thread