What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Niece got arrested heroin possession. It's not drugs it is mental (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
She drove with her boyfriend from the Pittsburgh area to Detriot area to purchase.  Cop pulled her over for her plate being obstructed but more than likely I am guessing they were in a high drug area.  Now I haven't seen the report but being told she had .5 grams of herion in her purse and boyfriend had 50 plus crack rocks and other drugs.  They impounded the car and let them go and said they need to go home and wait for a call to turn themselves in.   Why not arrest her?   She is 23.  Her trouble is progressing.  Cop said she will get 3 years.  No drug priors that I know of.  How screwed is she?  To plead this does she need better than a PD?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Three ####### years for a first offender and that little weight? JFC

She needs treatment but let's ruin her future instead. War on drugs. :thumbup:  
She is on a bad path no not doing well in the world already.  Felony will ensure her lifestyle but not sure how much she can be helped.

To plead this does she need better than a PD?  
She has to qualify for a public defender. Is she financially destitute?  If so, that's probably her only option. Some pd's are great, dedicated lawyers. Others suck. If she has money, or has family or others with resources who are willing to support her, she's probably better off hiring a criminal defense lawyer in the area where the case is venued.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
She has to qualify for a public defender. Is she financially destitute?  If so, that's probably her only option. Some pd's are great, dedicated lawyers. Others suck. If she has money, or has family or others with resources who are willing to support her, she's probably better off hiring a criminal defense lawyer in the area where the case is venued.
She will qualify for PD.  How much we talking to hire?  The burden would probably fall on me and my brother to pay.  I just loaned her money to get her car out of impound earlier this year.  She was supposed to pay me back when she got paid that Friday.  Never heard from her, nothing.  I really didn't expect to get paid back but no call, no sorry after I help you is grounds to not help again.  

Who drives 300 miles to score a half a gram of smack? 

What sort of department does not take persons into immediate custody on felony matters, especially when that person is from an out of state jurisdiction?

I think with the budget of most places in Michigan it is unlikely they are going to want to extradite her back from Pennsylvania.  She needs to score her smack locally.  Does she have something against supporting her local merchants?

Who drives 300 miles to score a half a gram of smack? 

What sort of department does not take persons into immediate custody on felony matters, especially when that person is from an out of state jurisdiction?

I think with the budget of most places in Michigan it is unlikely they are going to want to extradite her back from Pennsylvania.  She needs to score her smack locally.  Does she have something against supporting her local merchants?
"She said" the boyfriend was giving her 500 to drive him there.  He had more drugs than her.

The 2nd question I agree.

:(   Damn man.  Not a lawyer, but live in an area that has seen a massive uptick in heroin abuse in the past few years.  It is horrible.  So many lives ruined.  Families destroyed.  It is just absolutely a devastating epidemic...  I have no legal advice to offer, just wanted to say I hope your niece gets some serious help.  :(

She drove with her boyfriend from the Pittsburgh area to Detriot area to purchase.  Cop pulled her over for her plate being obstructed but more than likely I am guessing they were in a high drug area.  Now I haven't seen the report but being told she had .5 grams of herion in her purse and boyfriend had 50 plus crack rocks and other drugs.  They impounded the car and let them go and said they need to go home and wait for a call to turn themselves in.   Why not arrest her?   She is 23.  Her trouble is progressing.  Cop said she will get 3 years.  No drug priors that I know of.  How screwed is she?  To plead this does she need better than a PD?  
My guess is that the local police force doesn't really care about the chick with 1/2 gram of heroin, but could really use the revenue from selling that car at auction.  

Cops don't know ####.  Best of luck to your niece.

My guess is that the local police force doesn't really care about the chick with 1/2 gram of heroin, but could really use the revenue from selling that car at auction.  
This is such a scam, and police depts have even stated they won't enforce the law when President Obama tried to reform civil assets forfeiture.

yes.

:(   Damn man.  Not a lawyer, but live in an area that has seen a massive uptick in heroin abuse in the past few years.  It is horrible.  So many lives ruined.  Families destroyed.  It is just absolutely a devastating epidemic...  I have no legal advice to offer, just wanted to say I hope your niece gets some serious help.  :(
Saw a documentary on heroin yesterday, scariest drug life cycle I could ever imagine. Dealer with a covered up face talked about how they stamp the bags to market their brand. Two dealers talked about how they step on or lace the product, that's the really scary part. The one slightly less nefarious dealer said new users get low cut/high potency to get them in on that dealer's product, then once the dealer knows them they cut for them farther and farther down. They're so addicted by this point the users chalk it up to tolerance. Other dealer touched on fentanyl and explained why you are hearing about it in the news killing so many people, and would wonder why a dealer would ever use that to cut the product. Said dope fiends crave and will chase high potency, so what he does is in lets say a random batch with XYZ stamp, one bag will get a drop of fentanyl, which will likely OD/kill the person who took it. This bag is ID'ed to the street dealer from the wholesaler to give out at their discretion, usually to someone they don't like or someone "overweight who can probably survive the OD" in doctor drug dealer's medical opinion. Once word gets out among the addicts, they all want the stamp from the back that someone OD'ed on. They have no idea that the potency is normalized for all the other bags anyways, and the dealers play Russian roulette to get the OD rep associated with his batch. The users are so addicted and want to avoid withdraw so badly, the thought of this happening to them doesn't even cross their minds. Not shocking, just really horrifying to hear someone in the supply chain say how this actually works.

Best to your niece and your family, @FatUncleJerryBuss

I'm not a criminal lawyer and I have no insight into the process, especially in another state. Zow might. 

I am the family member of a drug addict.  Any money you give her or lend her is almost certainly gone forever.  She isn't the same person anymore and likely never will be unless this is the very, very beginning. Even if she gets clean, the things she will do while an addict will haunt her forever.  

If she's at the very, very beginning, I recommend doing anything you can to get her clean and get her away from her addict friends.  Good luck.  I'm sorry.  

If she is using, she has huge problems and little hope no matter how her legal issue turns out.   
Not to hijack, but there's always hope for people actively using.  There are thousands each day learning how to cope and fight their addictions and are actively improving their lives.  There are many others who never get to that point, of course, but there is always hope and a growing number of places to seek treatment.

Saw a documentary on heroin yesterday, scariest drug life cycle I could ever imagine. Dealer with a covered up face talked about how they stamp the bags to market their brand. Two dealers talked about how they step on or lace the product, that's the really scary part. The one slightly less nefarious dealer said new users get low cut/high potency to get them in on that dealer's product, then once the dealer knows them they cut for them farther and farther down. They're so addicted by this point the users chalk it up to tolerance. Other dealer touched on fentanyl and explained why you are hearing about it in the news killing so many people, and would wonder why a dealer would ever use that to cut the product. Said dope fiends crave and will chase high potency, so what he does is in lets say a random batch with XYZ stamp, one bag will get a drop of fentanyl, which will likely OD/kill the person who took it. This bag is ID'ed to the street dealer from the wholesaler to give out at their discretion, usually to someone they don't like or someone "overweight who can probably survive the OD" in doctor drug dealer's medical opinion. Once word gets out among the addicts, they all want the stamp from the back that someone OD'ed on. They have no idea that the potency is normalized for all the other bags anyways, and the dealers play Russian roulette to get the OD rep associated with his batch. The users are so addicted and want to avoid withdraw so badly, the thought of this happening to them doesn't even cross their minds. Not shocking, just really horrifying to hear someone in the supply chain say how this actually works.

JFC. Had no idea they were this calculated about it. I guess not surprising though.

I just want to say that depending on the weight, fifty crack rocks could be a lot.  It depends. Even twenties, we're talking conspiracy to distribute plus the overcharging that goes on.  

JFC. Had no idea they were this calculated about it. I guess not surprising though.
Yep, sad and true. It was on Netflix, I think Drugs, Inc. is the Nat Geo series. The dealer didn't mention the site, but said there are sites where users review the product by the identifying stamp anonymously. He said he reads them daily, and that they "pop" when there's an OD reported amongst the users who go chase the stamp the user OD'ed on, and that's when he's "gonna get paid." I always thought of heroin dealers as the lowest of the low, but hearing how calculated this is is really horrifying. 

ETA: Reddit and a blue light forum upon google search. I need a shower, just looking at this, wow. 

She just called me, going to Gateway rehab in Aliqippa(30 days).  It was Michigan State Police in Taylor, MI.  Gave the guy back 5k in cash. Sherrif in PA will have to take them into custody.  She said shes been snorting herion for 2 years.  Guy was her drug dealer but she had a gram of heroin, 12 grams of crack and he had 60 cocaine pills.  

Paid 10 bucks and found the charge on the state police website.  One count 3500 felony dangerous drugs.  Warrant requested.

I just want to say that depending on the weight, fifty crack rocks could be a lot.  It depends. Even twenties, we're talking conspiracy to distribute plus the overcharging that goes on.  
Edit: just read uncle's last post

Not to hijack, but there's always hope for people actively using.  There are thousands each day learning how to cope and fight their addictions and are actively improving their lives.  There are many others who never get to that point, of course, but there is always hope and a growing number of places to seek treatment.
You are correct that there is always some hope.  I hate to see a life wasted so I really hope this family pulls together and saves her.  

She just called me, going to Gateway rehab in Aliqippa(30 days).  It was Michigan State Police in Taylor, MI.  Gave the guy back 5k in cash. Sherrif in PA will have to take them into custody.  She said shes been snorting herion for 2 years.  Guy was her drug dealer but she had a gram of heroin, 12 grams of crack and he had 60 cocaine pills.  
you need a vacation.

I got put in a holding cell one night in my 20's, high on E, listening to two crack heads discuss crack like two sommelier wannabes discussing fine wine.

Users who are viewing this thread