Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Hi all,

I am planning on using DD this year for my redraft league.  I just downloaded the newest version and was testing it against some mock drafts with ESPN.  I am running DD on one iMac and doing the draft on another iMac.  

All I am trying to do is enter the picks as they are taken in DD and of course when it is my turn actually draft the best player based on DD choice.  OK, I may override choices in the real draft I am just attempting to use the tool to see how it works.

I admit, I can not keep up with these drafts.  I know mock drafts might be a tad quicker but I am concerned.  Once I get a few players behind I am no longer assigning players to specific teams at that point I am just happy if I can take them off the board on DD so I know who is available.  And I don't even get to the middle rounds because at that point people will be taking players farther down and I know I won't keep up.  Wondering if anyone else has this issue or if there is something I am missing.  Is there any way to sync my actual draft to the tool?  

I use the DD for all of my drafts, James. I also have problems keeping up late in the draft, because the experienced players in my leagues pop out picks very quickly once they get past the first 8 or 9 rounds. My leagues are 12 teams, set at 1:30 per pick, and most picks are made within 1 minute in the early rounds, much less than that in late rounds. 

It's been better for me the last couple of years since I finally wised up and started using split screen. Much easier to go from the draft room to the DD list. However, it does limit the viewing area somewhat. I used more "overlap" last year to give me more viewing area, and still go quickly from one screen to the other. 

The one thing I find nearly impossible to do is refer to the "BestValue" window in the DD very often. Just not enough time to include that in my pick process. 

All that said, I've always assumed that it's my fault. Being and old dude, I wasn't raised using computers; so I'm not very quick on the keyboard! :-) 

I still find the DD to be a great tool for drafting.

• Like 1

Thanks Pats. I'm an old dude too.  :P  But I am quite proficient in using computers.  Was a tech weenie in Silicon Valley when I worked.  The ESPN drafts are all 45 seconds.  Just no way to find players if they aren't in the first 10-20 listed and click them off in time if the draft is moving along.  I know so far all I;'ve done is try it with mock drafts and sometimes there are a lot of "autodraft" teams that are quick.   

If memory serves my league drafts are not blazing fast until later rounds when some owners exit the draft.  I'm beginning the think DD won't be the tool I use,  Instead I'll use the cheat list.  I think I'll be faster with a pen than the computer.  And maybe I'll take DD and eliminate the first 100 players and start there to see if I can keep up in the middle rounds which I think are crucial.  The early rounds are easy and mostly reliant on injury.  The middle rounds are where a team adds real talent that turns into starters and wins titles.  The late rounds IMO are just grabbing a D/ST, K and backup QB and end of bench which usually gets waived inside 2 weeks,  LOLs.

Hi jamesinaz:

I've been using DD since as far back as I can remember. Practice definitely helps quite a bit. There are so many "tricks" for finding players...Player Pool - choose appropriate position tab, or in "Player Name" box, type a letter or two of last name, or in "Weekly Points - Player Pool" sort by NFL Team name, etc. Get comfortable with all options. But, the three biggest things that help me...

1) We still use a Draft Board with labels. I can ALWAYS find the player before the person running the draft board can even find the label. As we get the labels for free with our draft kit, I am a big proponent of it, even though I never even look at the label board. Also, take breaks at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way thru the draft. It will give you time to "catch-up".

2) Have a partner. One can be putting in the players taken while the other can keep your draft strategy current. If your partner has their own draft, you can reverse roles when you "attend" their draft.

3) Position the important windows on screen so that they are always displayed. Any tangential data can always be called up and dismissed. For me, it's "Draft Status" , "Player Pool" , "Team Stats" , "Best Value Pick" , "Weekly Points - Player Pool" and "Team Data".

As you say, there are additional challenges are with the online drafts. If possible, extend the pick times to 60 seconds. It's amazing how much the extra 15 seconds helps. A partner still is invaluable. One calls the pick out loud while the other inputs it. Use the biggest screen you can find for DD.

Oh...and use GoBears "How to use DD on Draft Day" for some other tips. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/484582-how-to-use-dd-on-draft-day/

RR

Thanks for the ideas.  I will give it a few more tries to see if it improves.  Or I improve whichever.  LOLs.

Can't find a helper for the draft though.  I'll be in Thailand doing it remotely with 45 second increments.  I can't change any of that.  And since the draft will be early morning ours there (5 AM) none of my friends who play fantasy football will wake up to help me.  Really sure of that's as they all drink a lot. :P

Where in Thailand, James? I live in Pattaya. Maybe we can get together for a beer before your draft, and go over a few things. But I'll tell you in advance that I'm not going to get up early enough to be with you for the live draft. :-) All of my drafts are later in the morning, the earliest being 7:00 AM. I've been lucky with that through all of the 11 years that I've lived here. I had one at 5:00 AM years ago. Since then, I've been able to get a full night's sleep. And, thanks to NFL Game Pass, I don't have to get up early to watch games either. I just watch the replays when I get up, with the scroll on the bottom of the screen covered, so I don't see results of other games. Works fine. They're all "live" to me! :-)

• Like 1

I have the same problem, keeping up with the draft on the computer.  The problem in my draft is all the noise, people picking their picks quietly and I can't hear, then I am behind trying to catch up then it is my turn and people get frustrated with me trying to catch up.  Or trying to find a player I am not familiar with, or people trying to take their pick back.  I love the DD but I use it more as practice with mock drafts because we pick our draft position 2 weeks before the draft.  So I try to play out several scenarios repeatedly  so I have some general idea what to expect and to improvise draft strategy as I go.  I usually use the VBD app to create my custom cheatsheet based upon the latest info and DD rankings.  That is what works for me.    

On 7/16/2017 at 9:22 AM, patsfangr said:

Where in Thailand, James? I live in Pattaya. Maybe we can get together for a beer before your draft, and go over a few things. But I'll tell you in advance that I'm not going to get up early enough to be with you for the live draft. :-) All of my drafts are later in the morning, the earliest being 7:00 AM. I've been lucky with that through all of the 11 years that I've lived here. I had one at 5:00 AM years ago. Since then, I've been able to get a full night's sleep. And, thanks to NFL Game Pass, I don't have to get up early to watch games either. I just watch the replays when I get up, with the scroll on the bottom of the screen covered, so I don't see results of other games. Works fine. They're all "live" to me! :-)

Hi Patsfan.  

I live in - Pattaya.  Small world.  And I understand not wanting to join me for my draft.  It isn't bad (I think 7 AM) but no reason I'd get up either.  LOLs.  I hang at a place on LK Metro called the Golf Club.  One of the owners is a big Pats and Bruins fan.  But he isn't there much.  I think they do have a big Pats banner hanging from a Falcons fan settling a bet.  Let me know what areas of Pattaya you hang and I'll drop in for a beer just for a chat.  Would love to compare notes.

Jim

On 8/18/2017 at 8:37 AM, flyingsushi said:

I have the same problem, keeping up with the draft on the computer.  The problem in my draft is all the noise, people picking their picks quietly and I can't hear, then I am behind trying to catch up then it is my turn and people get frustrated with me trying to catch up.  Or trying to find a player I am not familiar with, or people trying to take their pick back.  I love the DD but I use it more as practice with mock drafts because we pick our draft position 2 weeks before the draft.  So I try to play out several scenarios repeatedly  so I have some general idea what to expect and to improvise draft strategy as I go.  I usually use the VBD app to create my custom cheatsheet based upon the latest info and DD rankings.  That is what works for me.    

Same here though noise isn't it as my draft is online.   I do like DD for mocks but to be honest it has a singular flaw IMO.  It uses the ranking and logic (I know tweak able) of their system and QBs go earlier than in real world mocks I've been in.  I am doing lots of mocks on both DD and ESPN online to also get a feel for how players who do not use FFGs are drafting and which players I have to be more or less aggressive on.

• Like 1