What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Take a moment to remember (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
Everyone is hopefully enjoying a day with those they love. Be they friend or family. And that is so important in our rushed world. As we are sadly reminded daily there are no guarantees that you will have time to say maybe tomorrow. So take that time today to love and be loved.

With that said also spare a moment of remembrance for those that sacrificed everything so you could go down the shore or to the lake or out back on the deck for a BBQ and do it as free men and women. Just a moment to remember the many who gave so much.

Happy Memorial Day FFA.

Special send out to the Doolittle Raiders, the Tuskegee Airman, and anyone who served in a bomber group in WWII. The later had less than a one in five chance of surviving their first tour of duty. 

Air Power ✈️ 

Never been more proud than when i got to fold the flag at my town's Memorial Day observance. Pissed off my entire family and almost killed my baby sister with the number of times i practiced my fold.

Reverence is the most powerful feeling i've ever experienced, and i been with 8 women at once. The honored dead we memorialized in those ceremonies when i was a kid were literally those who saved the world and they gave me a sense of the need to contribute i never lost.

Today is a day we should at least honor our heroes by asking ourselves if we can give more and take less.

Well said OP.  I also wanted to say "Thank You" for current and former military members for their service.  They work so hard and many have sacrificed so much in order to protect us and our quality of life.  Hats off to all of them.  

Never been more proud than when i got to fold the flag at my town's Memorial Day observance. Pissed off my entire family and almost killed my baby sister with the number of times i practiced my fold.

Reverence is the most powerful feeling i've ever experienced, and i been with 8 women at once. The honored dead we memorialized in those ceremonies when i was a kid were literally those who saved the world and they gave me a sense of the need to contribute i never lost.

Today is a day we should at least honor our heroes by asking ourselves if we can give more and take less.
OK, I'll bite.  Do tell...

OK, I'll bite.  Do tell...
no biggie. she was like eight and the only person i could make do stuff, so i made her hold the end of the flag while i folded.

a big part of a tight, honorful flag fold is to whip that right corner down, which would knock babysis off her feet almost every time her attention lapsed which, as an 8yo girl, happened maybe 9 times a fold.

I was in the honor guard while at Pope AFB. When I first joined I was 17 and I was just looking for some extra pay and travel. Kids right? 

For those who don't know the honor guard is mainly involved with burying veterans with honors. Flag draped coffins, 21 gun salute the whole bit. So I was just there for the few extra bucks what's the big deal? So young to be so cynical. That is until my first funeral and everything changed. I will never forget looking into the widows eyes as I presented her with the flag and seeing the competing raw emotions there. Seeing the kids, their anguish intermingled with their pride. I wanted to cry with them and I am not ashamed to admit it. I couldn't of course, stoicism is part of the gig. But I didn't really care about the 75 a month anymore and would have done it for free from then on.

It is one of the best things I've done in a life with more than one not so good choice in it.

Watched some Ken Burns Civil War this AM and listening to a couple war related podcasts. Blessings to those here that have served, have loved ones serving/served  and especially to those who have lost someone in service. 

My uncle was killed in Vietnam. Got married a month before he was deployed, wife was two weeks pregnant when he left.

The story is he never did any fighting.  While being transported on his very first day there the helicopter he was on took fire and crashed killing all aboard. My aunt had told me at how scared he was to go there. He was a very kind and gentle man who said to my mother "I don`t think I can shoot a person" before he left

Went to DC with his wife and daughter who he had never seen to the Vietnam Wall a few years ago on Memorial Day.  First time they had been there.  That day in DC is one I will never forget..the emotion was heartbreaking.

Special thanks and God Bless all who have served us.

Just attended the Lost at Sea Memorial in Cayucos. One of the speakers said more than 700 MIAs from California in the Korean War (I think out of 6 or 7K nationwide?). Many remains have been unretrievable due to the political situation over there for decades.

Thank you and RIP to all those who gave their lives in service of our country.

A member of my family has fought in every war, declared or not, this country has been involved in since we escaped Europe. My grandfather's oldest brother was medically unable to serve when drafted so my grandfather took it as his duty to go to WWII as a representative of the family. 

My uncle fought in Vietnam.  The youngest of my grandfather's siblings fought in Korea.  My cousin was in Desert Shield.  His son watched Baghdad fall from the good seats 15 years later.

On Memorial Day, when we used to all get together, each service member in my family would bring out a box of photos, and letters, and ribbons.  And would talk about the men and women who didn't make it back when my grandfather, great uncle, cousin, second cousin or whoever did. The rest of us, rightly, would shut up.

These were seminal moments in my life.  Learning the cost of war, and the kind of men who offer to pay with their lives, only to watch hundreds pay that cost and them still come home.  They showed us all that's the hard cost.  To be able to remember it all and try to move forward because you still have to pretend life can be normal again.

These were not hard men.  But they were men who did hard things.  

On Memorial Day, I always wish my grandfather were still here.  That he would pull out a smooth wooden box of photos and letters and ribbons.  And explain again about the time he drove a truck full of explosives 60 miles an hour over a one lane wooden bridge while he was being shot at.  And how he only survived because a bullet lodged in the abdomen of the soldier sitting in the passenger side, instead of traveling through to his cargo.  About the most despicable man he'd ever known crying and bawling and begging my grandfather not to leave him alone to die where God could never find him.  And about him staying because this wasn't just the most despicable man he'd ever known, but a soldier.  

My grandfather survived his service. Most of him anyway I guess.  And on Memorial Day he tried to tell us what that meant.  And if he were here he'd raise a glass to those who didn't, and their families.  And he'd never drink a drop, just leave the full glass sitting on the table all day.  And none of us ever knew why.  

So I guess I'll do the same. 

I was in the honor guard while at Pope AFB. When I first joined I was 17 and I was just looking for some extra pay and travel. Kids right? 

For those who don't know the honor guard is mainly involved with burying veterans with honors. Flag draped coffins, 21 gun salute the whole bit. So I was just there for the few extra bucks what's the big deal? So young to be so cynical. That is until my first funeral and everything changed. I will never forget looking into the widows eyes as I presented her with the flag and seeing the competing raw emotions there. Seeing the kids, their anguish intermingled with their pride. I wanted to cry with them and I am not ashamed to admit it. I couldn't of course, stoicism is part of the gig. But I didn't really care about the 75 a month anymore and would have done it for free from then on.

It is one of the best things I've done in a life with more than one not so good choice in it.
:yes: the best detail I ever served was as a young lieutenant and presented the flag to a widow of a ww2 vet.  They were married for over 50 years, so I presume they had a good life together.  Less sad than the young Soldiers but still very touching.  Every person should attend at least one memorial service. 

These are among the most eloquent posts I've ever read on this board. 

Memorial Day has always been a day for me to think about war, the cost of war, and to remember those who gave their lives in service. May those that sacrificed live on in our hearts and memories. Today is their day.  

Everyone is hopefully enjoying a day with those they love. Be they friend or family. And that is so important in our rushed world. As we are sadly reminded daily there are no guarantees that you will have time to say maybe tomorrow. So take that time today to love and be loved.

With that said also spare a moment of remembrance for those that sacrificed everything so you could go down the shore or to the lake or out back on the deck for a BBQ and do it as free men and women. Just a moment to remember the many who gave so much.

Happy Memorial Day FFA.
Hey GB, I wonder if you tended my wifes Nephew's funeral in North Carolina.

:(

I liked everyone's Memorial Day specific post in here. 

I spent 40+ hours with various Veteran's groups prepping for this weekend, it was so worth it.  Got to hear many stories from Vietnam and Iraq Vets, not a dry eye in any room I was in this weekend.  We really have a great legacy of military service and sacrifice, makes you shine to know you are a part of an amazing country which recognizes the greatness of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  :hifive:  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread