What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wonder Woman: First live action good DC movie in a long time? (1 Viewer)

Just saw it tonight.

Meh.

It was decent enough but definitely not great.

For example, why didn't the head German general guy hear about this bat#### crazy mutant chick tearing up the battlefield and then that town? You mean word didn't get back to him? And then he dances with her? And without feeling or seeing her 6 foot sword down the back of her dress? Dumb.

I'm not normally much of a hair snob with women... but I think when Gal Gadot has her hair pulled back all tight like in the beginning of the movie and in that picture with LC, she doesn't look nearly as attractive.

I posted in the recently watched movie thread that I really enjoyed this movie. From start to Finish it kept my attention. One of my favorite movies of the year so far...

After my daughters plans to see it with friends fell through, my wife reluctantly went with her.
Since my wife is not a Huge fan of going to movies, and even less of a fan of Super Hero movies I wasn't sure what she would think.

When she got home I asked her what she thought..
Her answer was " It was fantastic.. I didn't expect it to be nearly as good as it was" ..  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Wonder Woman," the acclaimed Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment superhero film, brought in an estimated $57.2 million at the North American box office this weekend. That's only a drop of 45% from its strong and record-breaking opening weekend last week.

The second week total for the film shows that "Wonder Woman" has a steady audience. Its second week drop was much smaller than previous films in the DC Extended Universe.

The three other films in the Warner Bros. and DC brand -- 2013's "Man of Steel," 2016's "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," and 2016's "Suicide Squad" -- all had big openings, but were largely panned by critics and audiences.

While all of those films had larger openings than "Wonder Woman," the bad word of mouth around them hit the films hard. The second week box office totals for those three films all dropped more than 64%.

"Batman v Superman," for example, lost nearly 70% of its audience in its second week.

"Wonder Woman," on the other hand, is beloved by critics -- it has a score of 93% on the review site Rotten Tomatoes.

If people are wondering how good a 45% drop is on a big opening weekend movie, it is fantastic.

Since Spiderman opened to over $100m on opening weekend 15 years ago, 46 movies have done the same (breaking $100m opening weekend).

Of those 46, only 5, including WW fell only 45% or less.

The better question is can DC learn from what made this a success. With Justice League already being done, I sure hope they used the WW formula. 

The better question is can DC learn from what made this a success. With Justice League already being done, I sure hope they used the WW formula. 
The JL trailer seems to have a few laughs but it's SO DARK ARHHHHH LOOK HOW DARK SAD AND EMO I AM.

i think the better question is what they do when Affleck has enough, which seems to be coming pretty quick. 

Anyone have any idea why the German battleship in the beginning was listing (and got worse)?  What happened to it?
I would guess that Trevor hit it, either with his guns or with one of the bombs he was carrying. I don't recall them showing what happened. But I would assume it was important for the story that all the Germans die after breaching the barrier around Themyscira so that they can't report its discovery back to the rest of the world.

I would guess that Trevor hit it, either with his guns or with one of the bombs he was carrying. I don't recall them showing what happened. But I would assume it was important for the story that all the Germans die after breaching the barrier around Themyscira so that they can't report its discovery back to the rest of the world.
That was my thought as well.  No one knows.  I guess they kill anyone who stumbles on them by accident.  

Real heroes. 

The JL trailer seems to have a few laughs but it's SO DARK ARHHHHH LOOK HOW DARK SAD AND EMO I AM.

i think the better question is what they do when Affleck has enough, which seems to be coming pretty quick. 
Hire someone else. Haven't there already been like 5 actors who have played Batman?

So is there any explanation in the comics how she stops aging 
not really.  Here is what I saw online to try and explain it:

========================

Wonder Woman ages but her rate of aging is never clearly defined. Wonder Woman has never been designated as truly immortal and unaging. Her powers make her extremely durable and able to absorb an amazing amount of punishment. She is just shy of Superman in terms of physical resilience and the equal of Captain Marvel, (since they both acquired their powers from the same sources). But her aging has almost never been taken into consideration on a regular basis in the DC Universe.

There is only one comic I know of that shows an older Wonder Woman and that is the brilliant book called Kingdom Come where the original super hero's have kind of moved into a retirement state and have allowed a bunch of new super heroes but there is little difference in this time frame between Super Hero and Super Villain.

An older Wonder Women convinces an older Superman that he has to come back and work with an older Batman (who is the only original still active).

shadyridr said:
 So her childhood was really like several hundred years?
Even in the movie, this is unclear. The Amazons on Themyscira are centuries old, having been removed from the world of man in ancient times. Diana was conceived sometime before Ares killed Zeus, but they never really specify if that was 20-some years or so before WWI or also back in ancient times.

The rest of the Amazons do not age, so it could be that Diana has had a very long childhood or that she aged normally up until adulthood and then stopped, having been an adult for many, many years before Trevor reached the island. Or it could be that she was aging normally until she came into her full power in the battle with Ares at which point she stopped aging.

Another question could be if she is special among the Amazons with her aging. We know that they don't age on Themyscira, but maybe they would start again if they left the island, and only Diana doesn't age in the world of men because of her parentage.

MarvinTScamper said:
Anyone have any idea why the German battleship in the beginning was listing (and got worse)?  What happened to it?
They were chasing the airplane at full speed.  The island was surrounded by rocks and/or reefs that they wouldn't know were there until the last moment when they passed through the barrier.

So I assumed they were sinking from running into rocks at full speed.

I'm not normally much of a hair snob with women... but I think when Gal Gadot has her hair pulled back all tight like in the beginning of the movie and in that picture with LC, she doesn't look nearly as attractive.
take it to the curly bored.

I had 3.5 hours to kill yesterday in the early afternoon so decided to catch a showing of WW. I know it's been said already many times over in here but gdb Gal Gadot is gorgeous. Especially when she was dressed in the business suit with glasses :dih: I really enjoyed the movie overall and was glad I saw it on the big screen.

Just saw it.  Very impressed with the movie overall.  I hope Justice League is done as well as this movie, but doubtful.  Gadot is stunning.

Gave up the #1 spot this weekend to Cars 3, but is still killing it at the box office

=====================

Wonder Woman continued to impress, falling a scant 30 percent in the U.S. to $40.8 million for a domestic total of $274.6 million. The Warner Bros. movie, directed by Patty Jenkins, enjoyed one of the best third weekends in history for a superhero film and topped the $500 million mark globally.

Good flick, particularly when compared with non-Dark Knight entries from DC. But it probably would rate in the bottom half among MCU films.

WW herself is legit awesome but the film was still kind of uneven and left a lot up to the audience to come up with explanations for. What's her skill set?  She can be slammed around by a god through asphalt etc without a scratch, but she needs to deflect bullets? Can she fly (best work around for an invisible jet IMO)? Just jump really high? Why did she need  the "Shield" jump sequence? Couldn't  she have just jumped through the steeple on her own? Can she shoot lightning or is absorbing energy her gig? They make a big deal of her language ability, particularly with the well done exchange between her and Sameer, but then we get nothing but terrible German accents the rest of the way. Speaking of the  rag-tag team they extremely hastily assembled, what exactly did Chief and Spud bring to the table? Smoke signals and singing? Really? Yeah, yeah humanity and emotional depth but even that got barely more than a quick nod.

Again, decent flick but still more uneven than most super hero flicks I have seen. Thankfully they mostly eliminated Zack Snyder's patented sickly greenish/blue filter he insists on for many other DC films (but he is apparently sticking with for JL).

I took my son to see it last night,  6pm show (to start at 620-300)  and we arrived at 555 to a packed house.  GREAT movie.

Wife and I saw it Friday afternoon in a packed theater for a 4:10pm showing. We both thought it was well worth the praise it is receiving but still a notch below the best of the Marvel movies. I wouldn't call it small praise in any way that it would fall firmly in the middle of the pack for me if it was a Marvel and not a DC product. Tons better than any other DC movie though, and the preview of JLA did not look promising or similar in style or approach to WW in any way.

Only issues were already voiced, a few holes in the world creating and her powers type stuff. It almost lost us at the end because they had to insist on going with a Man of Steel-esque terrible CGI final battle. And what was up with the hokey final scene of her jumping off the roof into the sky?

Finally saw this with an 8 year old and 5 year old. Loved it and they didn't have any issues (except for a preview or two: Kidnap and Dunkirk).

ive really been a Marvel homer but I'd rank this up in the top 3 or 5 for me, enjoyment wise. Gal Godot could play a not so small part in that  :wub: , but it was really well done and among my favorites.

You'd think Red Skull and the Germans would've learned from WW1 though and not sent another failed poisonous gas auto-bomber for WW2.

Users who are viewing this thread