What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there a boardwalk with rides and games that isn't loaded with trashy people in the country? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Anyone have one close by? Ocean City (New Jersey, dry town) comes close IMO, but never been to anything else remotely close. 

My boys love the boardwalk, games, rides, etc. but these places are just filled with the trashiest people in society, why does the boardwalk bring this out? 

Why aren't there a lot of normal families in these places?

My rankings, of major boardwalks (at least one amusement pier and more than a few blocks long) living in the tri-state area my whole life:

1) Ocean City, MD

2) Ocean City, NJ

3) Rehoboth Beach, DE

99) Wildwood, NJ
This is where I go off the rails. We go to Cape May and I love going to Wildwood. If I'm getting the trash, might as well get it to the maximum. 

The ride back to Cape May from Wildwood makes me feel great about my 'normal' family. 

I always thought Point Pleasant was the nice one and Seaside Heights was the trashy one.
Pt. Pleasant isn't so bad especially for little kids.  I much prefer a non-commercial boardwalk like Spring Lake or Sea Girt (both near Pt. Pleasant) but going to Pt. Pleasant for an evening of rides with the kids can be fun.  

I think exposing your family to that crowd is a fine opportuninty to get a little Scared Straight going:

lil' fantasycurse42:  Daddy, why is that 500-pound woman wearing skin tight jorts??

fantasycurse42:  Well, son, because she didn't do her homework, and had sex without a condom......

lil fantasycurse42:  EWWWWWW   :shock:

Myrtle Beach is the vacation spot for lower income people... higher incomes go to Charleston or my personal favorite, Hilton Head.
Yeah we stayed at No Myrtle Beach and made the drive down to the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach without realizing how different it was.

BC the ATM machines don't recognize chip cards, and when you find one that does, it has a $9 surcharge and only spits out a max of $100.
:sadbanana:

MFers - so those trashy people, who are out sunning and funning on my dime, are being hit over the head for an 11% vig?

:hot:

Pt. Pleasant isn't so bad especially for little kids.  I much prefer a non-commercial boardwalk like Spring Lake or Sea Girt (both near Pt. Pleasant) but going to Pt. Pleasant for an evening of rides with the kids can be fun.  
Spring Lake and Sea Girt and even Avon are nice but boring for kids. 

BC the ATM machines don't recognize chip cards, and when you find one that does, it has a $9 surcharge and only spits out a max of $100.
Most trashy people and foreigners  only have 50 bucks in their accounts..so that is more than enough.

Spring Lake and Sea Girt and even Avon are nice but boring for kids. 
My view of a beach vacation is just enjoying the sand and the ocean and I think those towns do it great with nice clean beaches.  You can always swing by Pt. Pleasant for a day of rides/arcades, etc. but don't think that is how I want my vacations to go (or for my kids vacations to go). 

Of course I am a bit biased since I own a beach house in Sea Girt and also grew up going there as well since my grandparents lived there.  

My view of a beach vacation is just enjoying the sand and the ocean and I think those towns do it great with nice clean beaches.  You can always swing by Pt. Pleasant for a day of rides/arcades, etc. but don't think that is how I want my vacations to go (or for my kids vacations to go). 

Of course I am a bit biased since I own a beach house in Sea Girt and also grew up going there as well since my grandparents lived there.  
Nice, I love Sea Girt. Very charming. 

Add pool and me too. This is why I like Cape May, can go for a week and add one night in for the boardwalk in Wildwood 15 minutes away.

Ocean City (either NJ or MD) are both fine to bring the kids. Wildwood and Seaside Heights are teh suck unless you're looking for drunk white trash people watching and maybe a fight.

The Mrytle Beach 'board walk' is crap. OC > MB

it really depends when you go.

if you are there peak season around 9pm on a Saturday you are guaranteed to find hookers drug dealers and wannabe thugs

if im going with my kids etc we will be there around 4pm-6, 7 the absolute latest.

I remember one year when I was younger there was some dude walking around in speedos rockn a boner :thumbup:

Owning a place in ocmd, I would say there is a degree of trashiness but nothing too bad that would keep me away. I didn't get any of that when we hit up Rhehobeth boardwalk. But it is much smaller

I always thought Point Pleasant was the nice one and Seaside Heights was the trashy one.
Hate them both with a passion.  The correct answer for Jersey is Ocean City.  The dry town thing really makes a difference.  And even though there isn't a boardwalk, Fantasy Island on Long Beach Island in Beach Haven is a really nice, clean place as is the surrounding places close to it.

Hate them both with a passion.  The correct answer for Jersey is Ocean City.  The dry town thing really makes a difference.  And even though there isn't a boardwalk, Fantasy Island on Long Beach Island in Beach Haven is a really nice, clean place as is the surrounding places close to it.
I like LBI, but scared the kids could get bored. Prob better for older kids. I mentioned OC in the OP, 100% agree on the dry town making the difference.

I've heard good things about Bethany Beach in DE, but never been so I can't speak from experience. I think it is another dry town.

I like LBI, but scared the kids could get bored. Prob better for older kids. I mentioned OC in the OP, 100% agree on the dry town making the difference.
There is enough in the Fantasy Island area to keep them busy similar to a boardwalk.  Water slides, indoor arcade, rides outside (most geared towards younger kids) mini golf in about 3 different walking distance spots, a ton of good eats and little snack places, a micro brewery is right there, tons of stores, and there is a grass covered parking lot behind it that during the summer is usually one festival type setup after another.

I've heard good things about Bethany Beach in DE, but never been so I can't speak from experience. I think it is another dry town.
It's a nice little place. We drive by all the time. But it does not have a boardwalk, at least not one with stores and rides

Eta: same with Dewey beach

Last edited by a moderator:
For something smaller and a bit older and probably good for a day trip with young kids, you should check out Rye Playland.

Users who are viewing this thread