What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maclin or Decker? (1 Viewer)

Who has the better career going forward?

• Decker

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • Maclin

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • They both will be horrible

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • They will both be good

Votes: 13 18.8%

• Total voters

-OZ-

Footballguy
Who would you prefer your team to sign? 

Neither?  Both?  

Who has the better year?  Does it just depend on the qb? Maclin in Buffalo doesn't sound as good as Decker in Baltimore.  

Just looking at the situations, Decker got cut by a team seemingly with no desire to win.  Maclin got cut by one of the 2nd best teams in the AFC.  

Decker is coming off injury, Maclin is coming off a bad year. 

My guess, Decker lands on a better team and does more than Maclin by quite a bit.  (And I say that as someone who really liked Maclin since his days at the evil Mizzou)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are fairly even football players but for fantasy purposes it will totally be dependent upon where they land as to which will be more valuable.  Atlanta would be a nice landing spot for Decker.  Gives them another red zone threat.   Maclin in Detroit would be a good fit.

I think Decker is a better player right now, and has more left in the tank. Decker might be one of the top-25 WR's in the NFL. He and Marshall carried Ryan Fitzpatrick to a borderline probowl season the last time he played. 

I think both guys should be starting somewhere, Decker is better than the #1 on several teams, and almost half the league has a lesser #2 than Maclin.

As for good fits for fantasy, I think Maclin would be an excellent fit on the Cardinals, as basically Floyd's replacement, and an experienced weapon for Palmer on the outside for a team likely going all-in.

Atlanta would be a good fit for Decker, but with how much money they have committed to WR already, that seems like a pipe dream. Buffalo would be a great fit, but unless he is cut, I don't think the Jets would trade him there. I think Carolina would be a perfect fit. Have Benjamin and Funchess outside, Decker and Olsen in the middle, and CMC and Samuel as mismatch YAC threats.

Decker will probably be cheaper, and he'd be a great number 2 on a lot of teams (he is a great number 2, not really a number 1).  Plus, he is one of the best WRs right now inside the 5. With his size, he can get open right away for short touchdown catches as good as anybody. 

Decker will probably be cheaper, and he'd be a great number 2 on a lot of teams (he is a great number 2, not really a number 1).  Plus, he is one of the best WRs right now inside the 5. With his size, he can get open right away for short touchdown catches as good as anybody. 
Seattle.  Decker and Graham would be unstoppable in the end zone.  

And the Seahawks have more than $8 million in cap space. 

Mike Clay‏ @MikeClayNFL 2h2 hours ago

You know who could really use the services of Eric Decker and Jeremy Maclin?

The Jets and Chiefs.

The jets let him play a day without the red contact jersey so they could dump him without an injury claim,  then put him back in the jersey the next day and said we're getting rid of you. 

Classy organization. 
They're doing him a favor really. 

Almost feel bad for McCown. 

Seattle.  Decker and Graham would be unstoppable in the end zone.  

And the Seahawks have more than $8 million in cap space. 
Not sure what their cap is, but imagine Decker on Dallas.  Yowza.  A reliable number 2 is what they have lacked for years, and with Witten on the downslide, Decker's size would be scary in the middle of the field while Bryant worked outside the numbers. 

They're doing him a favor really. 

Almost feel bad for McCown. 
 Supposedly Mccown wants to be a coach some day so this is probably good experience. If he'd wanted to be a backup for a contender he had the chance. 

Who would you prefer your team to sign? 

Neither?  Both?  

Who has the better year?  Does it just depend on the qb? Maclin in Buffalo doesn't sound as good as Decker in Baltimore.  

Just looking at the situations, Decker got cut by a team seemingly with no desire to win.  Maclin got cut by one of the 2nd best teams in the AFC.  

Decker is coming off injury, Maclin is coming off a bad year. 

My guess, Decker lands on a better team and does more than Maclin by quite a bit.  (And I say that as someone who really liked Maclin since his days at the evil Mizzou)
I'll admit I was skeptical of Decker in NY and Maclin in KC. I liked both guys as players, but thought both benefited from the systems they were in and had potential to struggle in bad spots. Decker played through some limiting injuries and still put up very impressive numbers as the WR1 with Geno then he crushed it as the WR2 with Fitzpatrick. Maclin went to a team that threw 0 TDs to WRs the year before and came away with 8 in 15 games. But both were injured last year and thus are terribly underrated.

I voted that they'll both be good going forward, but for fantasy purposes landing spot will be critical. Again Baltimore is the prime landing spot - lots of vacated targets. Decker makes the most sense for that spot. They've already got two outside guys and could use Decker in the slot, but he's much more versatile than given credit for and could easily move to the outside should Perriman be a bust (that's the way things are leaning). I could also see Decker taking over the Boldin role in Detroit - slot guy with lots of red zone looks. But they've already got good WRs on that team, so it wouldn't be the best fit. SF might be a good fit - Hoyer isn't great, but he's underrated and the mediocre Garcon is currently the WR1, I believe. Newton could use a sure handed guy as I think the Funchess experiment is over. Of those four teams, SF and CAR have the most cap space.

I don't see their name come up often, but couldn't the Rams use a veteran WR as well?  I agree that Baltimore, Detroit and Atlanta are the best landing spots, but I wouldn't be upset if either receiver ended up on the Rams.  Instantly their number 1.  Britt didn't do too bad in that situation last year.

I don't see their name come up often, but couldn't the Rams use a veteran WR as well?  I agree that Baltimore, Detroit and Atlanta are the best landing spots, but I wouldn't be upset if either receiver ended up on the Rams.  Instantly their number 1.  Britt didn't do too bad in that situation last year.
I get the impression they are trying to start from the ground up. Signed Woods (to a bizarrely large contract) and drafted Kupp and Reynolds. I don't think they're planning on competing this year, so why bring in 29/30 year old WRs? 

I get the impression they are trying to start from the ground up. Signed Woods (to a bizarrely large contract) and drafted Kupp and Reynolds. I don't think they're planning on competing this year, so why bring in 29/30 year old WRs? 
Always good to have a seasoned vet there.  I get the ground up approach, but you still want an experienced guy to give your QB confidence and help grow the young WRs.  Maybe a guy like Boldin is a better option for the price.  Or maybe Robert Woods is that guy, but I don't see it.  

I don't think it's out of the question that they can sign a Decker or Maclin to a cap friendly deal that they can get out of in a year or two if needed.  

Always good to have a seasoned vet there.  I get the ground up approach, but you still want an experienced guy to give your QB confidence and help grow the young WRs.  Maybe a guy like Boldin is a better option for the price.  Or maybe Robert Woods is that guy, but I don't see it.  

I don't think it's out of the question that they can sign a Decker or Maclin to a cap friendly deal that they can get out of in a year or two if needed.  
Not out of the question, but I'd say it is highly unlikely. If you bring in a starter, then you are not going to get to see what you've got in Kupp and Reynolds. If you're trying to build a team, you don't want to hold back the development of your rookies. If you're trying to win now then you take your time, let your rookies sit and learn for a year. 

Not out of the question, but I'd say it is highly unlikely. If you bring in a starter, then you are not going to get to see what you've got in Kupp and Reynolds. If you're trying to build a team, you don't want to hold back the development of your rookies. If you're trying to win now then you take your time, let your rookies sit and learn for a year. 
Besides, unless it's a trade Decker gets a vote.  Really don't see him signing with the Rams unless it's a crazy contract.  If he's smart, and I think he is, he'll go for a good contract with a good qb where he can shine as the #2. Saints, Seahawks, Ravens.  Seems unlikely but the Chiefs would be a really good match. 

Now watch the Patriots find a way to sign him. 

Besides, unless it's a trade Decker gets a vote.  Really don't see him signing with the Rams unless it's a crazy contract.  If he's smart, and I think he is, he'll go for a good contract with a good qb where he can shine as the #2. Saints, Seahawks, Ravens.  Seems unlikely but the Chiefs would be a really good match. 

Now watch the Patriots find a way to sign him. 
If he's smart, wouldn't he take the biggest contract with the smallest workload?  ;)

And I agree, the Chiefs would be a great fit. 

If he's smart, wouldn't he take the biggest contract with the smallest workload?  ;)

And I agree, the Chiefs would be a great fit. 
He's probably not looking for a small workload and wants to win.  Obviously we don't really know him but he strikes me as a fairly humble (as far as NFL wide receivers go) guy who wants to win.  

The jets let him play a day without the red contact jersey so they could dump him without an injury claim,  then put him back in the jersey the next day and said we're getting rid of you. 

Classy organization. 
The timing of this was poorly done for sure - but do you really think that's how injury claims work (just taking off his red shirt is enough) or that there was any chance of him being waived-injured anyway? He's going to play in 2017 so that was not even a possibility.

I'm guessing the market will be fairly robust for both guys. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Decker is claimed off waivers and he has two years at $15MM remaining on his contract.

What are the chances Decker had a say in the timing?  Maybe the Jets planned to let him get fully healthy and show something before sending him to the open market, but he sees Maclin about to get first choice of good situations and asks the Jets to speed things up and clear him early?

I'm guessing the market will be fairly robust for both guys. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Decker is claimed off waivers and he has two years at $15MM remaining on his contract.
Waivers?   As with Maclin not in issue here. 

He's probably not looking for a small workload and wants to win.  Obviously we don't really know him but he strikes me as a fairly humble (as far as NFL wide receivers go) guy who wants to win.  
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying... the guy is coming off two major surgeries - hip and shoulder, IIRC. I'm a competitive guy so I get why they stick around to play the game at the highest level, but if you take a step back and think about it, the smart move would really be to walk away from the game after you get enough to retire like a king yet still healthy enough to enjoy all that money. It would be really hard to do what Calvin did, though, since he had a chance to break some major all time records.

Users who are viewing this thread