What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper league Rule help (1 Viewer)

Capones174

Footballguy
I have. 12 team keeper league that I am running. We switched two years ago to a keeper league. Unfortunately we had 3 teams that we are replacing this year. What is the best way to handle keepers when you have new owners join. I want to make it fair were the new teams can compete  and not just make a donation. Please any thoughts would help.

Thats tough. If the 3 teams left behind completely are barren, that's a quarter of the league and quite frankly you might as well start over.

If they aren't horrible, a lot of keeper/dynasty guys I know love a challenge.

Another idea, depending on how you do keepers, let the new guys in and they have a choice to keep and extra 2 for 2017 and an extra one for 2018 OR keep extra 2 for 2018 and 1 extra for 2019.

Say you keep 5, for option A, the new guys could keep 7 in 2017, 6 in 2018, and 5 thereafter like the rest of the league

Option B Would be keep 5 in 2017, 7 in 2018, 6 in 2019 and 5 thereafter.

So here is a thought I had. We were to keep 3 players this year. What if because of three new teams I reduced it to 2 keepers  Then let all current owner select 1 player from their team that they can't keep but say they protect players. Then do an expansion draft with the 3 new owners. Let them draft 2 keepers, with associated rounds from the previous years draft. However they can't draft the protected players. Protected players would fall back into the draft.  

Have been running my keeper league for 10 plus years, here's what we do.   If 3 teams leave in one offseason we start new, this happened once 4 years ago.   It sucked to give up keepers we worked hard to accumulate but it was the only fair thing to do.  The line we agreed upon was 3 or more people leaving.   In seasons it's been less then 3 the new player(s) acquire the vacant team and pick thier keepers as normal.  

Whatever you decide, put on your big boy pants and make it a dynasty league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have. 12 team keeper league that I am running. We switched two years ago to a keeper league. Unfortunately we had 3 teams that we are replacing this year. What is the best way to handle keepers when you have new owners join. I want to make it fair were the new teams can compete  and not just make a donation. Please any thoughts would help.
You could put the 3 teams into a pool and let the 3 new owners snake or auction them off. If the teams are absolutely rancid, then you could let everyone select their 3 keepers and throw the rest of players into the pool with the 3 vacant teams to make the draft a little more fertile. 

Whatever you decide, put in your big boy pants and make it a dynasty league.
Meh. I see the fun/utility in redraft, keeper, and dynasty. They are all fun in their own way. 

So here is a thought I had. We were to keep 3 players this year. What if because of three new teams I reduced it to 2 keepers  Then let all current owner select 1 player from their team that they can't keep but say they protect players. Then do an expansion draft with the 3 new owners. Let them draft 2 keepers, with associated rounds from the previous years draft. However they can't draft the protected players. Protected players would fall back into the draft.  
I was going to suggest much the same thing. Here's how I'd do it: each of the 9 teams protects one keeper, after which each of the 3 expansion owners chooses one keeper from the remaining players on every roster. The existing owners then protect a second keeper, the 3 new owners draft a second one, and same with the third round. The only caveat is that no owner can lose more than one player in each round.

Keepers should all be subject to the same rules whether they were existing owners, protected players, or new owners - that's the only way to make it equitable IMO.

I was going to suggest much the same thing. Here's how I'd do it: each of the 9 teams protects one keeper, after which each of the 3 expansion owners chooses one keeper from the remaining players on every roster. The existing owners then protect a second keeper, the 3 new owners draft a second one, and same with the third round. The only caveat is that no owner can lose more than one player in each round.

Keepers should all be subject to the same rules whether they were existing owners, protected players, or new owners - that's the only way to make it equitable IMO.
Did something like this several years ago when a keeper league I was in expanded from 10 to 12 teams. If I recall correctly, in that league we all kept 6 players, so what we did was all existing teams kept 2, then expansion teams held a draft. After each pick, the team that had a player selected was allowed to protect one more. I believe after the first 3 rounds, each team then protected 2 more, then finished with the last 3 rounds of the draft, after which each team protected however more they needed to reach 6 players.

In this case, where each team keeps 3 players, I would suggest something like the following:

9 existing teams all protect 1 player - New owners have a draft - can choose from any existing roster, including the 3 abandoned teams. If a player selected was from one of the 9 teams with an owner, that owner immediately gets to protect another player. Once each of the new teams has their first player, each team gets to protect an additional player. Do 2nd round of draft in reverse order of first - same rules, if player taken from team with existing owner, they get to protect an additional player, unless they already had 3 protected. At end of that round, each owner that doesn't already have 3 protected players gets to protect their 3rd player, then the 3 owners select their 3rd player.

At that point, all teams have their 3 keepers.

Our league is practically immune to these kinds of problems. Here is how we keep:

You can keep up to 3 players each season. You must give up the draft pick before the player was taken (FAs have a last round draft pick value for keepers). You cannot keep a 1st round pick basically. You can keep a player 2 times for 3 total seasons (the year you drafted them and then 2 more years). Each year you keep someone their price goes up (6th round drafted, kept for 5th round, kept for 4th round)

When owners decide not to play anymore, new owners can come in and keep 3, 2, 1, or none. It doesn't hurt if you wnat to do a complete reboot. Also, there is often a WR that was a FA pickup or even a later round draft pick that is worth a 6th or 7th round pick as your WR3 or WR4. Or a RB3 that is worth keeping for round 5. It doesn't have to be a starter being kept. You can get value by keeping backups. In fact, I may be keeping 2 backups this year. 

Think about switching to a format like this... makes it fun. In the year Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin were hurt in the preseason both of these guys were drafted in our league (after they were hurt). Their owners put them on the IR once they were eligible and were able to keep them the next year for much cheaper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're into adding an element of intrigue, what I used to do was to allow folks to "keep" as many or few players as they wanted going into the draft.  And for each player they kept they lost their draft pick in that round, so if they kept one they lost their 1st round pick, two their 2nd round pick etc.  This tends to distribute incoming rookie talent (and quality throwbacks) to the downtrodden, which helps in developing parity, which you should strive for if you want to maintain consistency in ownership - nobody wants to lose every year.

We used to spend about 10 minutes before our local draft with everyone submitting their list of keepers without the knowledge of what any of the other owners were doing.  As Commish, I'd then announce them to the owners and they'd mark them off their draftable lists . . . . worked like a charm other than it kinda precludes the trading of future year's picks, but I was avoiding that anyway . . .

Justathot . . .

Users who are viewing this thread